The Build Up pt. 3

Complementary Opposites

As promised, I'd update on Saturday so here it is! I'll be having my finals at the 11th and 12th so there's a chance my next update will be on the 12th since my exams would be over by then lol ^^'


The following days after their karaoke night, Daniel started to uncover the different sides of Ong Seongwoo. With his love for singing now out in the open, Seongwoo now sings on every chance he gets. When he’s doing some of his chores, when they walk around the neighborhood, when Daniel would ask him to sing, and even when he’s in the bathroom.

 

Daniel doesn’t mind the change. In fact, he actually loved seeing how Seongwoo has fun whenever he sings. Even now as they prepare for their movie marathon that was supposed to be done yesterday, Seongwoo continues to hum to himself and Daniel would sometimes ask him to sing a song.

 

“Am I supposed to be a part-time radio for you now?” Seonwoo playfully says as Daniel requests another one of his jams. The dance major smiles and shrugs, “I just really like the songs. But hearing them in your voice makes it all the more better” Earning him another hit on his shoulder but Daniel always laughs at Seongwoo’s embarrassment.

 

Later on, both freshmen were now lounging on the couch while watching a random movie on the screen. Seongwoo would usually lay on someone’s lap, but he needed to wear his glasses to watch. Instead, he settled on laying his head on Daniel’s shoulder as the closest thing to laying down.

 

They remain like that for the duration of the movie with Seongwoo fiddling with the end of Daniel’s locks. “This question is probably long overdue by now but... What happened to the pink hair?” Daniel hummed and ran a hand through his hair. “Well the pink was already fading and maintaining it was hard so I thought a more natural hair color would be easier. Should I pick a different color?”

 

Seongwoo shook his head and smiled as a reassurance, “No,” He raised a hand and continued to play with the brown locks, “I think it suits you just fine.” Daniel smiled back and mumbled a quick thanks before diverting their attention back to the screen.

 

Another silence fell upon them and Daniel was lightly chewing on his lower lip, hesitance evident on his features. But Seongwoo was an observant person and he knew when something was on Daniel’s mind. “What’s wrong?”

 

Daniel chewed on his lower lip before he looked at the bespectacled male, “Can I ask you something?” Seongwoo chuckled, “You just did but sure, go on ahead.” The dance major still looked tense with his fingers fiddling with the ends of his shirt.

 

The brunette breathed in and turned to his companion, “How come you can sing in front of your family and not anyone else?” Seongwoo became quiet and it made Daniel panic. “I-I mean, you have such a great voice and all that and you can already control it so well so why?” The bespectacled male leaned back on the couch, lips pressed into a thin line while he fiddled with his fingers.

 

“If it’s not something you’re ready to tell then I can drop the subject” Daniel reassured with a gentle pat on his shoulder. Seongwoo shook his head, “No, it’s fine. You were just curious anyway.” So Daniel waited, his hand not once leaving Seongwoo’s shoulder and instead gave a light squeeze in which Seongwoo smiled in return. “It’s.. nothing big really. Just the usual rookie mistake.”

 

Daniel remained silent, not pressuring Seongwoo into speaking and instead patiently waited for him to get his thoughts together. The business major sighed and readjusted the wire-framed glasses resting on his nose bridge, “I used to be really bright and bouncy as a child practically running from one group to the next. It was nice really, I would even make people laugh for the sake of making them smile.”

 

Seongwoo had a fond smile on his face but Daniel still remained silent to let him continue, “I already sang a lot back then that’s why all my neighbors know. Though at that time, even every student is school knew.” Now this is what made Daniel interested. “I would usually sing at pretty much everywhere, my classmates would usually ask me to sing especially in music class. My teachers also remembered me as that kid who would always sing when he can.”

 

Suddenly, Seongwoo’s expression started to fade which didn’t go unnoticed by Daniel. “We had a small competition among the classes once, just a small choir competition. Of course, everyone knew I could sing so they gave me the solo part without a second thought.” The bespectacled once again pushes his glasses back as he stares at his lap, “I was happy. Really excited too so I took every precaution to keep my voice in check and even asked help from my mom.”

 

Daniel didn’t miss the slight tremble in his voice so he gently held onto Seongwoo’s hand and he didn’t shake him off. Instead, he also held Daniel’s hand with a small smile playing on his lips. “Then.. on the day of the performance. We were practically in perfect condition. Everyone was confident we would at least get a place in the top 3 you know?” He said with a small chuckle before his lips reverted back to a line. “But then..” Seongwoo became fidgety and Daniel was practically on the edge of his seat.

 

“On the performance itself... Everyone sang so well until... Until..” Seongwoo in a long breath, “Until my voice cracked during my solo.” He finally said as he bit his lower lip to stop it from trembling. Daniel didn’t hesitate and immediately draped an arm over Seongwoo’s shoulders. “Everyone was shocked, of course, me included. At first, they were all trying to reassure me that it was fine and I probably felt pressured to do well so I calmed down fairly fast.”

 

At this point, Seongwoo was now holding onto the edge of Daniel’s shirt as if he would disappear if he let go. “You can stop there if it’s too much.” Daniel offered but Seongwoo shook his head, “No, I might as well finish it if I’ve already said this much..” Daniel just nodded and continued his ministrations of drawing comforting circles on the back of Seongwoo’s hand with his thumb.

 

The bespectacled male took another deep breath, grip unconsciously tightening on Daniel’s hand. “We only ended up as second place because of that and everyone was happy and for a moment, I forgot about my mistake. But..” Daniel glanced up at Seongwoo whose eyes were now glistening with a thin layer of what would most probably be tears. “They released the final scores afterward. The score with the winning team was definitely a close fight... Everything score in each category in the criteria was close... Except for one which made us lose.”

 

Seongwoo hesitantly looked back at Daniel with a sad attempt at a smile, “We lost because of voice control and it was obviously my fault.” The bespectacled male raised a shaky hand, once again pushing back his glasses for the sole excuse of looking down. “Of course they all pretended it was o-okay but I eventually picked up on their conversations. T-They … they blamed m-me. It was my fault my voice cracked on the most important day a-and... I accept that.”

 

Seongwoo was on the verge of crying, the movie now forgotten as it continues to play in the background, “T-They never told me straight to my face, but I knew what they were saying it was just... s-so horrible I’m glad I don't remember the w-words... I couldn’t bring myself to s-sing in front of others after that. Heck, I-I stopped singing in school and they.. they seemed to like it better that way..”

 

Seongwoo was now full on crying and Daniel didn’t need to be told twice to comfort the smaller male. The brunette reached out and removed Seongwoo’s glasses, putting it down on the coffee table and pulled the crying male into his arms. Tears stained his shoulder as Seongwoo buried his face in it but he didn’t mind. Instead, he held him tightly and whispered comfort into his ear.

 

They remained in that position until the room became silent with only Seongwoo’s sobs and Daniel’s murmuring being heard. The movie that was playing earlier was now over but both didn’t mind, they could continue it later and Daniel had a much bigger thing to worry about.

 

When Seongwoo eventually calmed down, Daniel got his handkerchief and pulled Seongwoo away from him to wipe the tear stains on his cheeks. “I’m sorry for asking..” Daniel murmured but Seongwoo shook his head with a small smile. “I-It’s okay... You were curious and.. I had to get it o-out.. I h-haven’t told anyone since t-then..”

 

“Well, those were years ago and you are definitely not who you were back then. If anything I’m sure it was a learning experience for you. Because now, your voice is so stable the vocal majors would be jealous.” Again comes Seongwoo hitting his arm out of embarrassment while Daniel laughs as usual.

 

“Though, I’m serious. If those people heard you now, they would be so surprised they could cry for ever picking on you because your voice sounds so beautiful that they’d wish they were you.” Seongwoo chuckled at the comment and wiped off the remaining stains on his face before he looked back at Daniel, eyes still red and puffy.

 

“Thank you... I’ve probably needed that for like.. a while now.” Daniel smiled that thousand-watt smile that Seongwoo even squinted and muttered ‘too bright’ as a joke. They both ended up laughing at the ridiculousness of it until Seongwoo yawned and rubbed his eyes.

 

“Tired?” Daniel asked, and the smaller male nodded. “I think the crying made me tired..” The dance major placed a pillow on his lap and patted its top, “You can take a nap if you want, we can continue the marathon later.” Seongwoo blinked and stared down at the tempting pillow, alternating his gaze between Daniel’s smile and the pillow. “... You sure?”

 

Daniel made a small sound of confirmation and patted the pillow again in which Seongwoo finally complied. The small male readjusted his position and finally laid his head on the pillow, “Hmm, too high..” Seongwoo muttered so he removed the pillow and laid down directly on Daniel’s lap.

 

“Is this fine?” He asked as he looked up from his position and Daniel only nodded, “Yeah, sure. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable.” Seongwoo nodded and laid down on his side, curled into a little ball, hands cushioning his head on Daniel’s lap, and finally closed his eyes to let sleep take over. It didn’t take too long until Seongwoo was fast asleep, thanks to Daniel’s hand that was running through his hair.

 

It wasn’t long until Seongwoo’s mom entered the room while Daniel was watching a random variety show. Mrs. Ong was greeted by the sight of her son sleeping on his friend’s lap as the said friend combs through his hair. Danie was shocked when the elder women was suddenly in front of them, reaching out to gently run a hand through her sleeping son’s hair.

 

Seongwoo hummed in his sleep and unconsciously leans towards the touch before going back to his previous position. “It’s been long since Seongwoo brought a friend with him, you know? Always going on about school work he needed to do to make us proud. Even if we keep telling him we’re already proud.”

 

Daniel smiled at how affectionate Seongwoo’s mother was and the woman smiled back, “Though yours was a surprise visit, Seongwoo still seemed excited having you around. You must be a great friend of his.” The dance major let out a shy laugh while scratching his head, “I don’t know, I’ve only met him a few months ago so it hasn’t been long..”

 

Mrs. Ong shook her head, “It’s not about how long you’ve known each other dearie. It’s always about how other people affect you.” Daniel was smiling albeit slightly confused, “If they bring out different sides you didn’t know you had, then they’re definitely friends worth keeping.”

 

The elder woman stood up straight and chuckled at the confusion visible on Daniel’s features, “My son hasn’t been the extroverted type for a while but I’m not so sure why... He just suddenly became quiet when in fact, he used to be a very bright kid.” Daniel immediately connected the dots to Seongwoo’s story earlier, meaning his mother doesn’t know about the singing competition.

 

“Daniel dear, you made him change in a good way and I am very thankful about that. It may not be obvious to you, but I have raised that boy after all.” Mrs. Ong said with a fond smile as she softly brushes a hand through his son’s face. “It’s been quite a while since I’ve seen him smile this much because of someone.”

 

She stood back up and looks back at Daniel who looked mildly shocked at the revelation, “You said you just met him this year, yes?” Daniel nodded, still dumbfounded by all this information but the woman smiles at this silliness. “Well then, I hope you continue to be each other’s companions. Seongwoo needs people like you around him.” Daniel smiled, fingers fiddling with the soft locks of Seongwoo’s hair. “Of course.”



 

 

Daniel doesn’t tell Seongwoo about his small conversation with his mother, thinking it was meant to be heard by him alone. (Partially because Seongwoo would press him for details). Seongwoo woke up not too long after his mother left for the market and Daniel fixed his hair while the older male was still shaking off sleep from his system.

 

“What time is it?” He said with sleep lacing his voice, “It’s already 5 pm, you slept for 2 hours.” Came Daniel’s reply after checking his phone and Seongwoo looked at him with widened eyes, “What? That could have been enough for another movie” The older male whined, “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” Daniel shrugged, “You seemed really tired, I’d rather have you rest than force yourself to keep your eyes open for the next movie.”

 

Seongwoo huffed at Daniel’s point and retrieved his glasses from the table to put it back on, “It’s still early though, let’s continue the marathon!” He exclaimed with such childlike excitement, who was Daniel to say no to such a cute act? “Isn’t that what we planned to do either way?” Daniel playfully asked and Seongwoo laughed, “Yep, so you have no escape from this either way.”

 

“Can you sing me a song first before I put the next movie in?” Seongwoo dramatically sighed, “I should get paid as your music player by now, have you no mercy for my sweet voice?” Daniel only laughed at his theatrics and made Seongwoo promise to sing to him later on with the excuse of ‘I deserve something for letting you sleep on my lap for two hours’. Seongwoo called it unfair but in the end, he complied with the request and promised to sing later on in which Daniel made a victory fist pump in the air.

 

After their small banter, Daniel moved over to put the next movie into the CD player and picked up Niel from the floor before going back to the spot beside Seongwoo on the couch.

 

“You promised, okay?” Was Daniel’s playful reminder and Seongwoo just chuckled at their childishness altogether.

 

“I know, I know.”