Round Three

Complementary Opposites

‘Vega’ was now backstage waiting for his cue to come up on stage. The MC, Kwak Aron, was already there getting the final round started to hype up the crowd. Didn’t seem like he needed to hype them up though, everyone was naturally excited.

 

Daniel gazed at him as if he was looking at the night sky with the stars that decorated his mask. The only difference was that he didn’t think of him as one of the stars of the night sky, he was more like the brightest star in his universe. He gave Seongwoo’s hand another reassuring squeeze and leaned a little closer to his ear.

 

“Knock ‘em dead. I’m sure you’ll do great” He simply whispers but it was enough to make his nerves subside. “If you become too nervous, then look at me. Look at me like how you did when you recorded the song. Simple enough, right? It’s like your confession all over again.” Daniel playfully says with that teasing smile that Seongwoo oddly finds endearing.

 

Seongwoo takes in a long deep breath and looks back up at the slightly taller male, the very guy who has showered him with such love and attention he wasn’t sure he deserved. Sometimes Seongwoo feels like he hasn’t done much for Daniel at all yet when he brings it up, Daniel always insists that his very presence and happiness is already the most precious thing that he needs and he couldn’t ask for more. The least he could do is finish this competition on a happy note as to not put Minhyun and Daniel’s efforts to waste.

 

“You know that wasn’t intended to be a confession…” Seongwoo shyly says but Daniel only laughs, eyes crinkling into those little crescents and his mouth curving up to show all his glorious pearly whites. “I know, but if you’ll need me, then I’ll just be in the crowd standing out like a sore thumb”

 

“With that hair and get up? I might find it difficult to do so” Seongwoo sarcastically replies.

 

“I know right? Maybe I should have dressed in neon colors after all to be a hundred percent sure” Daniel plays along. In the end, they both stared at each other and laughed at the ridiculousness of their childish antics. Daniel has the ‘Choding’ nickname for a reason but there are times, such as this, when they’re both equally childish but he wouldn’t mind being as childish with someone like Daniel anyway.

 

“...Well,” Daniel hesitantly starts with his hand scratching the back of his head. “I better get going,” He says as he takes another glance at the stage. Aron wasn’t obviously going to host the start for too long, he seems like he was about to call the competitors soon. Although Seongwoo didn’t want him to leave, he lets go of Daniel’s hand. Just when he thought Daniel was about to leave, his silver-haired boyfriend quickly turns back and raises the veil hanging off his mask to peck at his cheek just below his moles.

 

“Fighting!” Daniel exclaims with a fist pump before running towards the exit. Seongwoo remains dumbstruck, but he chuckles at his silly ‘Altair’.

 

“Ah, seriously. This Kang Choding…” He says to himself with undeniable endearment in his tone.

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

Seongwoo now stood beside Aron while his competitor stood on the other. Aron was just finishing up his interview with his competitor which almost made Seongwoo zone out again. Keyword, almost. Because Aron suddenly turned to him and he was caught off guard he almost misses the question. Since they were at the final stage of the competition, the interview was a tad longer than the previous rounds.

 

“A lot of the fans have been curious about this particular thing, even the live stream chat is filled with this question. So to finally answer their curiosity, what made you or why did you choose Vega as your pseudonym for tonight?”

 

“Ah, well…” He paused to figure out his next words, he can’t mention his moles after all or that would be a dead giveaway to those who have seen it and thought of its resemblance to the constellations. So he decided to make use of Daniel’s reasoning the other night instead.

 

“W-Well, my— I mean, a special someone was actually the one who suggested my name. He said .. um.. a certain aspect of me reminded him of the summer triangle.”

 

“The asterism?” Aron asks and he nods

 

“Yes, the summer triangle asterism. So he suggested I go for Vega since its the brightest star in that pattern. While Altair and Deneb… they represent my friends who encouraged and supported me to join so I’m very thankful to them. I really think I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for those people. Hopefully, I can indeed be one of the brightest stars tonight, I wouldn’t want to waste their efforts”

 

“I don’t think you have to worry about that. The fact you made it to the last round already means you shined as one of the noteworthy singers.” Aron comments and it has Seongwoo’s cheeks heating up in embarrassment.

 

“T-Thank you”

 

“Would you like to say something to your friends before we move on to the finale?” The MC suggests and Seongwoo paused, eyes wandering to the said group of friends and sees all the happiness in their eyes. Minhyun, Dongho, and Jaehwan were already done with their duties backstage so they were allowed to leave. Though they decided to watch the rest with the gang and now everyone was complete. Sure, why not? ‘Vega’ nods at the MC and slowly brings the mic up to his lips all the while contemplating his next words.

 

”Hey, this is… kinda awkward for me really but I felt like I had to say something” He hesitantly starts while his eyes focused on the group that stood by the side of the crowd. “It’s been… what, half a year? Since I met you guys through Mi— I mean a certain friend. I used to think that I could go through the year with just him since I didn’t think I could balance the social life. But then that party happened, and I ended up hanging out with you guys ‘til today. Although I don’t tell it to you guys straight, I’m actually happy I met a group of guys like you. Let’s spend the remaining college years together too!”

 

Seongwoo finishes with another shy ‘Thank You’ and finally ends his speech with a bow. The crowd cheers with a section of the sea of people (aka his friends) cheering louder than the rest. They were kind of embarrassing but Seongwoo wouldn’t want to have them any other way. It’s their own way of showing their support and appreciation to him too.

 

Guess that’s what makes them the best people I could possibly meet.

 

“I’m sure your friends feel the same way too,” Aron says as he subtly gestures towards Minhyun and the rest. Seongwoo simply smiles under his mask and nods as an affirmation of his words. When his gaze wanders back to his friends, they looked equally thankful as they flashed him their encouraging smiles with matching gestures. Daniel, who still stood out with his bright get up, shot him with finger hearts along with his own words of encouragement.

 

“Without further ado, let’s move on to the final round. Shall we?” Aron says towards the crowd that instantly gets riled up and excited. It was down to the last two contenders and what would probably be another big reveal. Everyone was more than excited to see what happens next. “Then we shall start off the round with ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ followed by ‘Vega’ as the decided arrangement earlier backstage.”

 

With one last bow, Vega and Aron retreat to backstage leaving ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ at the stage where he was now preparing for his song. Of course, Seongwoo had nothing to do but prepare for his turn. He tried to keep his mentality calm, he needed to be focused after all. Just in time for the soft melody of the song choice for ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’.

 

The moment ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ opened his mouth….

 

 

 

 

Ah.

 

 

 

 

 

Seongwoo thought it was game over.

 

Oddly enough, he doesn’t mind. Like his thoughts in the previous round, he was already satisfied to have come this far. Heck, he didn’t even think he’d make it to the finals and yet here he was. Although it should have made him nervous, it strangely made him more comfortable since he didn’t have to pressure himself as much as he did in the previous rounds.

 

He really should be nervous in the face of a daunting opponent but really, he ends up relaxing. Now the only thing he had to focus on was delivering the song just like how he wanted it to. After ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ finally finished, Seongwoo stepped onto the stage where some of the crowd cheered (with half probably coming from his friends).

 

With all honesty, he was pretty amazed at how he was calmly treating the entire scenario. It was just a few hours ago when he feared this spot on stage but now he felt just fine as if he belonged there in the first place.

 

His gaze scans the black sea of people in various styles of warm clothing who were looking at him with much anticipation and expectation gleaming from their eyes. “Hello, tonight I go by ‘Vega’ as you all have been familiar with. The song I chose was Kim Jinho’s ‘Love This Moment’. Although I also sang ballads for the previous rounds, I wanted to finish with this song if I ever made it to the last round so… Yes. I hope you enjoy my performance.” He finishes with a low bow towards the crowd who applaud as he prepares for the song.

 

Within a minute, the crowd was instantly silenced as the soft melody of a guitar poured out from the speakers surrounding the stage. Seongwoo, for the last time, takes a deep breath as he holds onto the mic with both hands before raising it to his lips.

 

아무도 들어주지 않았던 나 혼자만의 이야기들이
(My stories that no one tried to listen to)

 

어느 순간 이렇게 우릴 이어주고있죠
(Are now connecting us)


어느새 내게 위로를 주네
(Without noticing, those console me)


인생이라는 무대위에서 이렇게 넌 나를 바라보고
(I'm singing on the stage called life)

 

Seongwoo instantly recalls how he sang this song the first time he recorded it. It was during his iconic ‘confession’ after all. Something he remembered to be both embarrassing yet life-changing in some aspect. All that pent-up emotion he released was what helped him convey the emotions, but now he had no emotions to reveal. He only had the same emotions to project which wasn’t really much of a problem if the source of all that happiness was right there. Watching him with those eyes filled with endearment and joy.


나는 노래하는 지금 모습이
(And you're staring at me)


언젠가는 추억이 되겠지만
(This moment will be a memory in the future)

 

Of course, he was staring at him, why wouldn’t he if he was the current performer on stage. Daniel was also one of the reasons why he was here in the first place. Though it didn’t have to be something he would learn to cherish in the future, it was something he would treasure for the rest of his life. The moment he overcomes one hurdle in his fear. Although he can’t completely say he is over it, helping him take the first step in trying to gaining confidence was all he needed to make a move against his stage anxiety.

 

이 순간을 사랑해요
(I love this moment)


난 그대와 사랑해요
(I'm in love with you)


그대와 난 사랑해요 무엇도 들리지 않아
(I and you are in love. I can hear nothing)

 

The only thing he could hear was his voice through his in-ear and what was most probably the loud beating of his heart against his chest. The heart that longed for the Kang Daniel that now looked at him with so much love like he was the most wanted treasure in the world. Or rather, the universe. This was when everything suddenly felt so unreal to him. Here he was, standing in front of a crowd singing his heart out to that special someone with a bit of confidence he never knew he had. Indeed, it was something like a scene out of a movie but it didn’t have any dramatic twists and turns, maybe just a few that maneuvered him to somewhere he wanted to be.

 

Singing it the second time around, Seongwoo realized (probably for the second time) that the song speaks so much about him from start to finish. Looks like Kim Jinho wasn’t alone with these kinds of sentiments, Seongwoo has practically lived out this song at this point. Starting off as someone who remained a silent mystery, he suddenly meets someone who helps him change for the better.

 

이제와서 돌아보니 한참이나 모자랐던
(But looking back, you were the one who was)


내 모습을 되려 채워주고 있었던 그대가
(Filling me up who was imperfect)


내 옆에 남아있었죠
(You stayed
by me)

 

In the end, the very person who helped him change was the very person he fell for in the end. The very person who made him feel more complete. Seongwoo would most probably deem Daniel as one of the biggest mysteries of his life, but he was also something he was infinitely grateful for. Where else he meet someone as sweet and caring as the Kang Daniel who stood by his side?

 

He loved how Daniel didn’t try pry for details when he found out he could sing. He loved how he lowkey encouraged him instead. He loved how he constantly showered praise and motivation. He loved how Daniel never failed to make him smile because of how childish he was. He loved how he helped him throughout the hardships alongside Minhyun to get where he was now. Most importantly, he loved Daniel for being Daniel.

 

이 순간을 사랑해요
(I love this moment)

 

Seongwoo finished up the song, unsaid emotions and thoughts pouring out like a broken tap that ceases to stop. The soft instrumental of the song echoes into the now silent venue as the song finally comes to an end. ‘Vega’ finally puts the mic back by his side and looks back up at the audience. To him, the performance was nothing out of the ordinary. He has accepted his defeat and so he just had to do his best to perfectly end the entire experience.

 

However, to his surprise, the audience didn’t think it was just that. The crowd looked awestruck and serene as if they were swept by the emotions that were produced by his singing. They felt how he was lost, how he found someone, how thankful he felt, and the how much he has come to love the person who helped him pick himself up to face the past. Maybe he can’t completely say he has moved on and recovered, but it felt like he was finally free from the crushing weight of fear he didn’t think he had. The past kept him bound from trying again, but the present finally set him free and now the future was waiting for what he decides to do next.

 

In an instant, the crowd roars with their praise as endless streams of compliments slip through their lips. It was… overwhelming. That was the only word he could come up with. What he used to envision in his dreams was happening right in front of him. People cheering, screaming his name (although they used Vega), applauding their hands are probably tired, and an all too familiar figure smiling back at him as their eyes locked onto each other’s gaze.

 

Before he could do anything else, Aron and ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ come back on stage and walk towards the center where Seongwoo was thanking and bowing to the crowd. “Once again that was Vega putting on a perfect ending for this year’s competition! Did you all like it?” He asks and the crowd agrees before he could even point the mic to their direction.

 

“And so, this concludes the final round. You all know the drill, raise your buttons!” Instantly, the crowd was filled with outstretched arms over their heads, buttons held high and in view. “Voting starts...now!” As if on cue, a tense music fills the atmosphere to add more tension and anxiety to the outcome of the competition. Seongwoo has to admit, it did make him a little more nervous than he initially was while fidgeting with his fingers.

 

“We are now in the final round! Be sure to choose wisely and select who you think did the best in tonight’s performances. Voting ends after a minute, if you have changes in your decision then you may still do so as longa s the counter has yet to stop.”

 

The voting was just a minute, and yet Seongwoo felt like it was a whole eternity. The waiting felt agonizing, but then he was probably just to tense that he himself was already counting down the number of seconds left. Though he has to admit, ‘Cloud’s Silver Lining’ was quite an opponent. Albeit small built wise, he was experienced enough to belt out difficult notes and made high notes seem easy as saying one two three. The guy’s obviously got experience and Seongwoo willingly accepts defeat if it were because of someone like that.

 

Before he could dwell on his thoughts further, Aron glances backstage and looks back at the crowd as he raises his mic. “The voting period has officially ended.” He announces and Vega who stood by his side suddenly felt stiff as a plethora of emotions swirl like a tornado in his head. Aron glances at the new set of cue cards passed on to him from the backstage crew and the contents have him raising an eyebrow in what seemed like surprise.

 

“Wah… we got quite a number here.” Aron starts as he glances at the cards once again as if he needed to double check. “It’s quite a score, but the difference between the votes is much smaller than you think.” At this point, the crowd now starts to murmur amongst themselves on the possible ending of a great competition.

 

Shall it be the galactic and charismatic Vega? Or the small yet powerful Cloud’s Silver Lining?

 

Without any more delay, the screen behind them suddenly shows a countdown. With only 10 seconds remaining ‘til they reveal the results. Everyone has probably held their breath unconsciously, hands clasped in anticipation and others in anxiety.

 

9

 

The crowd grows excited. Murmurs going around the venue, small debates and arguments on who would win or who did better than the rest.

 

7

 

Aron seemed to be the only one who didn’t look nervous. The  MC already had the cue cards in his hands so he already knew by now who the winner was. It was only a matter of waiting for their face to flash on the screen.

 

5

 

Cloud’s Silver Lining looked calm but Seongwoo didn’t fail to notice the other’s similar body language. The slightly smaller male was also fidgety, shifting his weight on his legs while he also played with the mic in his hands. Looks like he wasn’t the only one who could stand still.

 

3

 

Seongwoo’s gaze glides over to his friends. Jonghyun had that hopeful glint in his eyes with Minki who was probably complaining about the countdown to go faster. Minhyun and Jaehwan were looking calm but their body language was practically the same, guess they also felt as nervous as he was.

 

1

 

Oddly enough, Daniel just stood there looking calm. He didn’t fidget or anything and was instead standing like a club bouncer as if he already knew the results. Seongwoo just thought that Daniel was already proud of how far he’s come and didn’t think it mattered if he won or not but the silver-haired male impatiently tapping his finger on his crossed arms said otherwise.

 

The screen suddenly goes black, instantly silencing the area that he wouldn’t be surprised if he heard a pin drop at this time. The crowd (including them) stood still, no one moving a muscle. The next thing he knew, some people were going wild while others looked a bit distraught. Then he looked back at his friends … but they were not doing either of the two. Instead, they looked so flabbergasted that no one was making a move. Among their rather large group, Daniel only smiled and applauded before the others followed.

 

 

 

 

Seongwoo was intrigued. They looked neither happy nor disappointed. To finally satiate his curiosity, ‘Vega’ takes in a deep breath and slowly turns his head to the screen. Now even he himself doesn’t know what to feel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Because the very figure on the screen was not a mask of purple and black but one of white and silver.

 

“Cloud’s Silver Lining is this year’s winner!” Aron announces into the mic as he gestures to the smaller male on his side. The crowd cheers while some seemed to reluctantly agree. Although his friends weren’t too enthusiastic, their eyes were enough to tell him that they were proud of how far he has come. From that locked away voice that he kept inside himself to the Seongwoo that now made himself known in front of a crowd who didn’t know who he was.

 

Although it was slightly disappointing, Seongwoo didn’t feel very down about it. He did see it coming after all and he didn’t mind losing here. He only joined in hopes of breaking down the walls that kept him confined with his past mistakes. Albeit only small, he was glad to say that it may have worked. After he finally experienced what he has always distanced from himself, the experience of singing on stage has reignited his desire to be back on stage and affect various kinds of people through his singing. Seongwoo flashes a wide smile under his mask and raises his hands to join the applause. Maybe it wasn’t his time yet, but maybe he’ll have his chance in the future too.

 

Aron turns back to the crowd as he gestures to Cloud’s Silver Lining. “With his victory now confirmed, Cloud’s Silver Lining will stay backstage for now. So if you may…” Aron gestures towards the backstage so the contestant, now declared the winner, repeatedly bows to the crowd while muttering a few thanks before disappearing backstage.

 

Kwak Aron diverts everyone’s attention back to Vega who still stood beside him on center stage. “So Vega,” He starts, “When I asked you earlier about your name, you mentioned you joined because of your friends, yes?” Seongwoo nods, “Yes, I did” Aron hums and glances at the group he has seen ‘Vega’ repeatedly glance at, “Are they really the only reason why you joined?”

 

“Ah… well…” Seongwoo paused to think, “I um… I actually joined in hopes of… breaking free from a certain memory that’s been haunting me for a while now. I guess it’s like trying to get over a stage fright”

 

“And how did it turn out for you?”

 

Another pause, “I can’t completely say that it’s completely gone, I’m not even sure if that’s possible.” He starts, his grip on the mic slightly fidgety as he thinks of his next words, “To be recognized for my current skill is also another and… Although just a little, I think I gained a bit more confidence in myself and that is already a feat on its own. I can’t really say how confident I am in myself right now. I honestly think I’m still lacking, but hopefully, there will come a time in the future where I can confidently say I’m more than ready to share my abilities in front of a crowd again.”

 

The once murmuring crowd applauds at his response while Aron flashes him another smile. “I’m sure it’s not something impossible to reach. Everyone will eventually find their opportunity and I doubt you’re an exception.” Seongwoo makes a short bow to thank him for the compliment and Aron gives a curt nod in reply.

 

“So now, I’m sure everyone is dying to know who you are. Is that right?” The ever so active crowd is once again making noise towards the statement as if to confirm that they were indeed curious. “Are you ready?” Aron questions to the contestant by his side who looked nervous at the entire prospect of his revelation that was about to take place. “Ready as I’ll ever be”

 

“Then let’s all give a round of applause once again for Vega’s identity reveal!” Aron announces into the mic before he once again leaves to go backstage. For the nth time that night, Seongwoo once again stands alone on stage in front of a crowd who knows nothing but his stage name and mask. The only difference was that in this performance, the mask had to go. Everything that was hidden: name, identity, background, and skill was about to be laid out in the open and Seongwoo suddenly feels like shrinking back at the thought.

 

But there was no turning back now.

 

Before he could even consider the idea, the soft melody of ‘Love this Moment’ booms through the speakers and his feet was instantly rooted to the stage. Seongwoo took a long and deep breath to try and calm his nerves. You’ve already sung this more than you could count, you’ll be fine. He repeats to himself as he grips onto the mic in his hands. You’ve sung this more than you could count, and hopefully… it wouldn’t be the last. With that thought in mind, Seongwoo raises the mic to his lips to sing the final song for tonight’s competition.

 

So far, so good. He thought to himself as he goes through the intro with ease.

 

Now I just need to go through the first verse, pre-chorus, the chorus itself and then… t-then… the mask removal...

 

이 순간을 사랑해요
(I love this moment)


난 그대와 사랑해요
(I'm in love with you)


그대와 난 사랑해요 무엇도 들리지 않아
(I and you are in love. I can hear nothing)

 

Holy it’s getting closer okay okay I can do this, I can do this. He really shouldn’t be freaking out at this time but his mind was being thrown into panic mode to the point that he almost felt his voice crack. Thankfully, it was only ‘almost’. His voice still came out sounding stable.

 

이 순간이 있었기에

(Because of this moment)

 

다 그대가 있었기에

(Because of your presence)

 

가능했던 그날을 이제서야 알것 같은 나

(I now know those days were possible )

 

이 순간을 사랑해요

(I love this moment)

 

Although he prolongs the last note and even gives it the effects of a vibrato, there is no turning back. He has to do it now. With slow and hesitant steps, Seongwoo retreats and turns his back to the audience. Another deep breath, his fingers slowly make their way towards the back of his head. Fingers shaky, his hands finally undid the mask. Mask now in hand, he just needed to turn back and the whole audience would finally know and probably recognize him.

 

But he didn’t.

 

He couldn’t.

 

It’s as if the confidence he gathered was suddenly thrown out the window into an endless pit. His feet felt like lead, his hands haven’t stopped shaking, and if he didn’t do anything soon then his breathing might just speed up without him knowing. This wasn’t the time for this. He can’t. Please, why now? I need to move! His mind was screaming at him to take that step but his body wouldn’t, or rather it refused to cooperate. It was like an internal debate between his mind who was telling him to move and his body who was telling him he couldn’t.

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

The moment Seongwoo froze in the middle of the stage, Daniel instantly knew something was wrong. He didn’t have the eyes of an eagle, but he always seemed to notice the smallest details when it comes to his boyfriend. Right now, there was no doubt Seongwoo’s hands were trembling. He was scared, he couldn’t raise his head and turn to the audience.

 

“We have to do something―” Daniel mumbles and Minhyun nods as he immediately understood what was going on. Seongwoo was being eaten up by his fear and anxiety. They didn’t have much time to think, the song was about to transition to the second verse soon. “He needs to snap out of it―!” Before Minhyun could even finish, Daniel does the first thing that pops into his head.

 

 

Shout.

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

The burden felt too heavy it made Seongwoo feel all the more frustrated. Face the crowd, that was all he needed to do so why couldn’t he?! He hated this. He hated how he can’t even tell himself to do what he wants him to do. Even if he did, his body won’t listen. It remains stubbornly stiff like a statue in a museum but this wasn’t the time to be admired as one. He had to move, even just a step―

 

“Altair!” Comes a voice from the audience and one that he was very familiar with. That peach head, really. Although it snapped him out of his thoughts, the second voice was the one that surprised him the most. “Deneb!” The familiar soft tone that belonged none other than his roommate Hwang Minhyun. He hasn’t always been vocal about his support towards Seongwoo, but somehow he always found a way to convey that he indeed supported his roommate.

 

“Vega, fighting!” They said in unison and Seongwoo suddenly felt at ease after being forced out of his negative train of thought. Before his mind could end spiraling down again, he closes his eyes takes in a long and deep breath. You’ve come so far because of everyone and yourself. Slowly he raises his head and lets his eyes flutter open to prepare and face the crowd. Don’t cower off now and put everything to waste. With a sense of finality in his thoughts, Seongwoo raises the mic and turns around before he could chicken out in the last minute and finally continues the song. Now without a mask and identity laid out in the open.

 

The crowd is left in awe as the last contestant turns to the audience. The pale skin almost looks luminous under the moonlight, hair styled into the iconic comma that grabs everyone’s attention, sharp features that seem sharper under the light’s rays, and piercing blue eyes that seemed to stare into their soul. The Ong Seongwoo that once looked like an ordinary student shone on stage that night as the very person he dreamed to be.

 

 

“For today’s last identity reveal! Vega is none other than the Business department’s Ong Seongwoo!”

 


Had to accomplish a few things before I got the chance to post this soooo sorry if its a little late hehehe ^^' So as you noticed, this is literally the longest chapter of this story with a whopping 5k word count! I think ever detail was necessary though so yeah, hello 5k words lol me and my wordy self.

Anyway, we're literally one week away from this story being labeled as completed so wow it's been a really long ride! Hope you all get to stick around and wait for next week's ending C: