Round Two

Complementary Opposites

“Welcome back to Round 2 of this year’s competition!” Aron says into the mic from the monitor Daniel and Seongwoo were watching from. From eight competitors, they were now down to four and so only two pairs remain. Seongwoo wasn’t sure if it was luck or not that he was picked as the last performer again.

 

Though once again, he was on the sofa in Daniel’s arms while the other had his head rested on the crown of Seongwoo’s head. Daniel was probably used to petting his cats when he was on a sofa because he kept on patting Seongwoo’s and would sometimes even scratch near his ears. Oddly enough, Seongwoo doesn’t find it strange but it’s oddly comforting. It was more like he was understanding why cats liked it in the first place.

 

They stayed like that for a while with only Daniel’s side comments and the live stream filling the atmosphere. It was the first contestant’s song when Seongwoo decided to break the silence, “Do you think I could get the feel of the song for Untitled?” Daniel only looked back with a perplexed expression “Of course, why’d you ask?” Yet he only shrugs, “I don’t know, I mean… How can I portray emotions towards something I haven’t experienced?”

 

“You’re… um… You’re my first relationship so I haven’t really… experienced any breakups. Heck, this song is an apology since they were the one who broke it off which I obviously haven’t done and something I don’t plan on doing by the way. Well, not to brag and all that, but I don’t even think I have experienced enough sadness in my life to portray something like this.”

 

“You’re rambling” Daniel simply states and Seongwoo was instantly reduced to a flushed mess.

 

“S-Sorry”

 

“That’s alright,” Daniel starts as he goes back to Seongwoo’s hair, “I don’t think you have to go through something similar for the sake of internalizing the emotion. Like, I don’t really need to wait for… someone to die for the sake of portraying grief when we do a modern dance routine”

 

“You do modern dance?”
 

“In your case,” Daniel cuts him off and shrugs off the question completely, “It’s the same. You don’t need to experience a break up for you to know. Although it would be easier for you to internalize, it’s not really a requirement. You can just think of small things that make you sad or regretful and mesh it all together for a bigger feeling of sadness”

 

Seongwoo looks up at Daniel, eyes filled with what he guessed was curiosity and amusement “Is that really going to cut it?”

 

“Yes, you’ll be surprised at just how much it could help” He calmly replies so Seongwoo hums in acknowledgment “Alright, I’ll take your word for it then” Just as he laid back down, another knock echoes through the room. “Vega, you’re needed on standby again. Please be ready in 3 minutes” The said singer calls back in affirmation and sits back up with his gaze focused on the mask on the table.

 

“At least I get to sing more” Seongwoo mumbles to himself in particular with a small smile on his face, but deep in his mind is the overlying presence of fear that gradually starts to crawl along his veins. “You’ll do great, I know it” Daniel reassures as he helps Seongwoo put on his mask. “Vega or not, you’ll still do great regardless”

 

The smaller male looks back up and smiles even though Daniel wouldn’t see it. “Shall we go?” Daniel asks as he offers a hand to Seongwoo who takes in it seconds.

 

“Ready~”

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

“You can do it!” Daniel calls out for the last time and leaves a peck on his cheek before exiting backstage for the second time that day. Seongwoo simply replies with a small fist pump while Daniel wildly waves at him as he goes through the doorway.

 

And so, Seongwoo is once again left to his own swirl of thoughts and emotions. Will he do well? Can he portray the emotions? Will he meet the expectations of the crowd? Various concerns were running through his head all at once but this time, he didn’t let himself drown. Instead, he held his head up high and fought back to prevent drowning in the pool of negativity that started to flood his entire being. He wasn’t going to let himself drown this time, he was going to stay afloat no matter how much it clung to him.

 

The next thing he knew, the first eliminations for the 2nd round was finished and the opponent had to reveal his identity. The winner of the round once again went back to his waiting room while the other had to perform one song before leaving the stage after being eliminated. “Ah…” He sighed to himself and did a few small jumps to keep his nerves away, “You can do it” He kept repeating as the very mantra that could save him in his head.

 

Soon, it was their turn to come up on stage where he met the contestant dressed like a present earlier. “The last pair before we move in to round three! Quite a thrill if you think about it, yes?” Aron says before turning to Seongwoo. “How are you feeling right now?” He asks and Seongwoo paused before raising the mic to his lips, “I’m… still quite nervous but there’s a bit of excitement there now. Though I’m just happy I get to sing again so… I hope I can meet the audience’s expectation once more.”

 

The other competitor who went by the name ‘Gift Box’ also had the same sentiments. Luckily for him (or not), he was the first one to perform again and so here he was once again center stage with hands tightly clasped around the mic to subdue the trembling. Think of anything sad… think of anything sad… eventually, it will come together to express sadness altogether… He took in a deep breath and momentarily closed his eyes to gather whatever sadness he felt.

 

He first thought of what hurt him the most, losing his confidence to sing when he was still a child. How he had lost all his confidence because of one mistake. How it made him take a 180 turn and lose all hope he had in becoming a singer. The second was his audition for the vocal department in the college. When he thought he might have moved on after all these years, he had to find out the hard way how he was so far from that. Third, would probably be when he lost his ring. Seems trivial but it was something he grew particularly attached to. Last would be when Daniel had to leave Incheon to go back to Busan before the winter break ended.

 

Some are trivial, he knows that but it still leaves fragments of sadness in him. It’s all that he has but he hoped it would be enough. So when the first note of the piano reaches his ears, he raises the mic to his mouth with his other hand resting against his chest. Clearing his mind of his worries, he slowly sings the first verse with all the gentleness he could muster enough to resonate a warmer vocal color.

 

Seongwoo kept his eyes closed to better focus on his voice. G-Dragon’s tone was high but so was his which fortunately didn’t give him too much difficulty. The only thing he had to worry about was his consistency so he decided to block out everything and focused on his in-ears. He concentrated on every note, every detail, and every emotion that suited the verses well. As the chorus was just around the corner, Seongwoo concentrated everything on his control for the impending high notes were always the most difficult.

 

제발 단 한 번이라도

(Please, just once more)

 

너를 볼 수 있다면

(If I could see you again)

 

내 모든 걸 다 잃어도 괜찮아

(I don’t care if I lose my everything)

 

꿈에서라도 너를 만나

(I wish I could meet you in my dreams)

 

다시 사랑하기를

(And love you again)

 

우리 이대로

(Just like this)

 

Seongwoo takes a moment to pause and take a quick breath. The only challenge the song had was that it lacked breaks compared to others that had instrumentals before it progresses to the next verse. Although it was difficult at first, it’s one way of showing his endurance towards singing for a prolonged time. Yes, his endurance was low but it’s completely different when it’s used for a specific task than when it is being depleted by the whole body simultaneously (at least to him anyway).

 

For a brief moment, he opened his eyes and was met with awed stares and neutral faces. The reaction wasn’t so bad, he could still keep going so he did. Another quick breath and the mic is back to his lips to sing with all the emotion he could muster. Most people would usually focus on their technique, but Seongwoo was a part of the minority who focused on emotion. Singers didn’t need high notes to prove their skill. Seongwoo always believed it was more of the overall delivery, high notes be damned. Soon, it came down to the part he found the most difficult.

 

이제는 끝이라는 마지막이라는

(Now it’s over, it’s the last time)

너의 그 맘을 난 믿을 수 없어

(I can’t believe it)

 

I can’t let go

 

Cause you never know

 

내겐 너 같은 너에겐 나 같은

(Someone like you for me, someone like me for you)

 

그런 사랑은 두 번 다시는 없어

(There won’t ever be a love like that again)

 

Nobody knows

 

We always know

 

It was always the most difficult when he rehearsed, but it was the part that he let himself go crazy in the most. The bridge varied in tempo and tone that it was so easy to lose himself in its flow. The song wasn’t something he could completely convey but Seongwoo always loved the feeling when he gets immersed in the melancholic melody. His movements became more dynamic, throwing his head back or bending forward to assist his voice control as he sings through the English lyrics and adlibs.

 

After he finally finished off the last chorus and verse, he felt spent with all the energy he had to use for the sake of control. Yet, when he looked back up at the crowd, he felt like it was all worth it in the end. G-Dragon is a well-known figure in the music industry, that wasn't something people could deny. So when he chose this song as one of the music he’d use, he thought he wouldn’t be able to give the song some justice because of how inexperienced he still was.

 

Oh, how wrong that train of thought was.

 

In front of him stood a vast crowd of different people. Yet, everyone had uniform expressions of wonder and amazement. Seongwoo has never felt more dumbstruck in his life. Because in front of him was a crowd who actually felt something because of his singing. Wouldn’t this consider as a dream come true? Of course, he didn’t want to stop the dream but then all good things come to an end.

 

Eventually, Seongwoo’s adrenaline died down and now he was backstage while ‘Gift Box’ was singing his own song. Only then did he feel the exhaustion that came along with singing but it was the type of exhaustion he enjoyed. It was a sign he did his best after all.

 

Before he could end up zoning off again, a water bottle suddenly came into view. Seongwoo blinked at the sudden intrusion but he ended up smiling when he followed the arm and came face-to-face with his roommate, Hwang Minhyun. He gratefully accepts the bottle and took a few sips enough to freshen up his throat again.

 

“How’s the whole experience for you?” Minhyun starts as Seongwoo hands back the water, “It’s… actually great. I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would” Minyhun looked equally as happy to finally do something for his friend. It has yet to be a year since they’ve been roommates but Minhyun always thought Seongwoo deserved just as much recognition as everyone else in his department.

 

“Umm… Thanks” Seongwoo mutters, “You look like you needed it after belting all those notes anyway” Minhyun casually replies as he also drinks from the bottle (without sticking it to his lips because he’s neat that way). “N-No, I meant… T-Thanks for helping me with this opportunity…”The older freshman looked taken aback but he ended up chuckling at Seongwoo’s adorably shy demeanor. “Don’t thank me just yet, the contest isn’t over”

 

“R-Right…”
 

“You better get going,” The fox-like male reminds him as Seongwoo follows his gaze towards the stage, “Ah… Right…” The raven-haired male cleared his throat as Minhyun nudges him towards the stage.

 

“Go get’em tiger”

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

The second elimination. Aron was already talking to the crowd once again as the voting period as about to begin. Seongwoo wasn’t so sure if ‘Gift Box’ felt the same or if he was like Seongwoo right now. He tried to stop shifting his weight alternately to avoid looking so obvious so now his hands were once again fiddling with the mic nonstop. It doesn’t really help him calm down but it feels better holding onto something than nothing. He wanted to hold it for a little longer after all.

 

Now, he was back to the feeling of drowning in his own nerves all the while trying to look like he was not dying to know by keeping a calm facade. At this point, he doesn’t really have any expectations. He’s done enough and he’s pretty surprised he has come this far. If he won, then he’s damn lucky for sure. If he didn’t, then he has no regrets. It was fun while it lasted and he was never going to forget it for the rest of his life.

 

 

 

 

 

But it seems that fate had other plans.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Because for the second time that day, he had to take a double take just to make sure that it was indeed his mask that was flashing on the screen.

 

“Vega wins the second round!”

 

Fate can indeed take the most unexpected turns.


 

~ .oOo. ~

 

“I’m... I’m not dreaming am I?” Seongwoo says as Daniel once again barrels into his waiting room to engulf him in another bear hug. “No, you’re not. It’s all real” He whispers into Seongwoo’s hair, “I can’t believe this…” Seongwoo breathes as Daniel pulls back and cups his face, “Well you better believe it because you still have another round!”

 

“Ah, seriously…”

 

“Seongw― Hey hey hey! Don’t be like that!” Daniel playfully reprimands him as he notices his eyes glisten with unshed tears. “You deserve this, why are you crying?” Seongwoo shook his head and buried his face in Daniel’s chest, hands clinging to the soft material of Daniel’s hoodie. “N-No! I’m just―” Ah, I must look so pitiful right now. Seongwoo thought as he chuckles at the entire situation. “I’m just happy.” The Busan boy instantly smiles as he engulfs Seongwoo into another bear hug.

 

“It’s just… I was already accepting my defeat and all that, you know? I-I didn’t think I’d stick around a little longer” He confessed, “Hey now if you let those tears fall then your contacts will too.” Daniel joked (it wasn’t far from reality either way) as he raises Seongwoo’s head and pecks his asterism-like moles. Although their height difference was small, it never stopped Daniel from showering him with affection that instantly made him smile.

 

Just in time, Minhyun also enters the room (unlike Daniel, his entrance screams elegance and poise) with a smile gracing his features. Seongwoo instantly lights up and was instead the one who barrels himself towards Minhyun almost making them fall in the process. “Woah―!” Minhyun exclaims as he stabilizes his footing in the last minute. “Easy there, I told you not to thank me yet didn’t I?” He playfully remarks as he pats Seongwoo’s head.

 

“I-I know… I just felt like I needed to hug you” Seongwoo shyly says as he hides his face in Minhyun’s shoulder when he felt his face heat up. “Yah! If you stay like that a little longer then I’ll get jealous!” Daniel complains as he crosses his arms with his lower lip jutting out in a pout. Seongwoo finds it very adorable though but he only goes to Daniel after Minhyun nudged him to go to Daniel before he starts to flip out.

 

Turns out, the reason why Minhyun was there was because he slipped in his entire group of friends. In a span of a minute, the room was instantly crowded and loud with Jaehwan’s laugh alone. Jonghyun, Minki, and the rest engulfed him in the middle of a group hug saying various congratulatory messages and praise that has Seongwoo beaming from ear-to-ear. He hasn’t had a large group of friends like this so he was really glad they were his first.

 

“Yah, I told you it was better to belt out your notes that way. You found it easier to breathe afterward, right?” Jaehwan said with a playful smack to Seongwoo’s shoulder, “Well… Yeah, I did. It sure is something else when the Kim Jaehwan is coaching you” He sarcastically says while rubbing his shoulder, “But really, it helped me so thanks for that” He shyly smiles but Jaehwan being Jaehwan, teases him by pinching his cheeks “Aww, look at you being so cute like this. No wonder why Daniel fell for you”

 

That definitely got Daniel sputtering from his own saliva and Jaehwan cackling in amusement.

 

“You really did well today,” Jonghyun said as he pats his head while Minki hooks an arm over his shoulders, “No kidding, we should really go out for some karaoke sometime! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it after getting to sing again” Although Seongwoo was still quite doubtful about that idea, he smiled back at their praise and continued to chatter a little more without noticing how Daniel was practically chasing Jaehwan around the room while Minhyun was personally praying that they don’t break anything.

 

Amidst their laughter and chatter, time passed by faster than they thought until the break was over. The competition was about to transition to the final round and so his friends had to leave and go back to the crowd (not before giving him one last group hug). Minhyun, who already finished his duties backstage, joined Minki and the rest leaving Daniel behind to give them some time to themselves. A comfortable silence ensued after the noisy bunch finally left.

 

It was then that the realization hit Seongwoo like a truck speeding down the highway.

 

He was going to perform in the final round.

 

.

 

“Oh… my god” Seongwoo suddenly mutters with both hands on his ears as if he was trying to block out the thoughts swirling in his head. Daniel, being the usual overprotective boyfriend, was immediately by his side. The silver-haired male held Seongwoo’s hands on his own and removed them from his face where he held it by his sides. “What’s wrong?” He carefully asks while Seongwoo continued to look like he was about to go pale.

 

“I-I’m… I’m about to perform for the finals and― . Daniel, what if I mess up here? I mean, I’ve done great and all that but― Ugh, why am I suddenly a wreck?  I― I can’t do this, oh my god. I don’t t-think I can―” Daniel had enough of the negativity so he shuts him up the best way he knew how.

 

Daniel held Seongwoo by his cheek and one arm around his waist as he shuts him up with a kiss. The rambling male was now silenced and was instead replaced by a pleased mewl as he shut his eyes and holds onto the fabric of Daniel’s hoodie. The kiss was nothing needy, just an innocent lip lock that was enough to convey their deep feelings without crossing the line towards lust.

 

The silver-haired male slowly pulled back, distance not too far apart since they lips could still brush against each other with the softest of whispers. “I hate it when you think that way.” He simply says against Seongwoo’s lips who becomes flushed at the reply. “I―I’m sorry…” He mumbles against Daniel’s lips and so the larger male leans back to gaze into Seongwoo’s icy yet beautiful blue eyes. “You’ll do great, and I have no doubts about it since I’m telling the truth. So don’t let those thoughts get to you, okay?”

 

Seongwoo smiles back and pecks on Daniel’s lips as if it were the seal of promise before he finally lets go of Daniel’s hoodie. “Okay.” Daniel smiles back with satisfaction written all over his face before picking up the mask that was once again left by the vanity.

 

“Turn around,” Daniel simply says as he gently places the mask on Seongwoo’s face with the latter holding onto it to keep it there. All the while Daniel clasps the mask at the back to make sure it wasn’t too loose or tight. Seongwoo turned around and faced the very person who has helped him step-by-step along the way.

 

Whatever he did to deserve Daniel, he wouldn’t know. Maybe he was a much loved general in his previous life to be rewarded with such a kind soul to look after him. As if on cue, the said kind soul intertwines their fingers and leaves a kiss on the back of his hand. Seongwoo was instantly reduced to a blushing mess and he has never been more thankful for being hidden behind a mask.

 

“Last round, you ready?” The brunette says with a smile that has Seongwoo instinctively tightening his hold on Daniel’s hand. “As ready as I’ll ever be” Daniel chuckles, his deep tone resonating through the room and Seongwoo finds it soothing.

 

“Let’s go!” Daniel playfully exclaims with a fist pump to the air as he and ‘Vega’ leave the room together for what would be the last time for that night.

 


Hello to another Sunday update and a wonderful start of the month! Wow, it's really about to end. I can't believe it we're at the 22nd chapter :O

Anywayzzzz, I know it's probably getting boring at this point but hey it's the plot so I just inserted random fluff in between ^^'

Also IT'S ALREADY MARCH 4 OMG THE PRE-RELEASE SONG IS TOMORROW ㅠㅠ 
Don't forget to support~ #약속해요

'Til next Sunday :3