Small Booster pt. 2

Complementary Opposites

DOUBLE UPDATE TO COMMEMORATE TODAY'S COMEBACK!! If you haven't read CH4 then go back to the previous chapter!

 


 

“Do we really have to do this?” Seongwoo inquired once he saw Daniel comeback with hair wax in his hands. “Aren’t you curious? I just have the feeling it will fit you really well.” He said with an encouraging smile. “Don’t worry about it, I can already picture you rocking this look.” The pink-haired man proceeded to sit across Seongwoo on the sofa and left the hair wax now opened on his side.

 

“... Should I remove my glasses?” Daniel thought about it before he shook his head, “Nah, you can keep it on. It won’t get in the way.” Seongwoo nodded and instead diverted his attention to Niel who decided to settle himself on his lap. “Okay, I know how to do it now. Just don’t move, okay?” The bespectacled male nodded in reply while distracting himself with Niel who was playfully biting his fingers.

 

For a moment, Daniel hesitated and took some time to admire the other male’s soft image. With glasses perched upon his nose bridge, the lens reflected the softness of the sun’s rays and fringe falling just above his eyes. After a soft purr from Niel that finally snapped him out of his thoughts, Daniel reached out and parted Seongwoo’s bangs on his left and swept the majority to his right.

 

After a few more applications of wax, Daniel was now down to the finishing touches of making the fringe curve inwards. “Aaaaand... There.” When he was finally satisfied with his work, Daniel closed the wax and stood up to take a step back. “You can look up now!” He said with the excitement bubbling inside. But Daniel wasn’t prepared for what he was about to see.

 

When Seongwoo hesitantly looked up, it’s as if the world slowed down and Daniel was left speechless. Who knew hairstyles could have huge effects on appearance? Daniel figured he must have been staring for too long when Seongwoo started fidgeting on his seat on the couch. “..It looks bad..doesn’t it..?” He questioned with a disheartened tone but Daniel was quick to reassure him.

 

“No! No, not at all it’s..” Daniel could have been lost in those eyes if he didn’t remember he was trying to prove a point. “..it’s the complete opposite actually.” The pink-haired male smiled before going back to his spot beside Seongwoo on the couch. “It’s just as I thought, you look perfect with it.”

 

Seongwoo pushed his glasses back along the bridge of his nose for the sake of hiding the blush that suddenly bloomed on his cheeks. “T-Thanks..” Daniel found the motion cute, the usual thing Seongwoo does when he gets shy. Then again, Seongwoo has always looked so soft whenever he gets shy. “But m-maybe you’re just...  Exaggerating it. I mean, i-it can’t possibly be... That perfect?”

 

If Seongwoo didn’t get to know Daniel the past months, he would have thought he said something wrong when the dance major was looking at him with a poker face. “You’re kidding.” Seongwoo only watched as Daniel made his way over to his room and came back with a portable make-up mirror in his hands. “You should see for yourself, I swear you look really great,” Daniel said with an encouraging smile to Seongwoo while he handed him the mirror.

 

True enough, when Seongwoo saw his reflection, his eyes widened that it might put any deer in headlights to shame. Although his surprised reaction was hidden behind his large frames, Daniel didn’t need to see his face to know that Seongwoo himself was shocked. In a comma hairstyle, Seongwoo looked more mature and aloof if he were to keep a poker face. The business major was so distracted that he unconsciously started to brush his fingers through his own fringe.

 

“So?” Daniel started as he once again occupied the vacant spot on Seongwoo’s side, “Told you I did a great job.” Followed by that cheeky grin of his and Seongwoo playfully rolled his eyes. “Okay fine... So it did um... Come out better than I thought.” He admitted while averting his eyes while Daniel playfully nudged him with his elbow, “Hey, why don’t you try styling it like that from now on?” Seongwoo raised his eyebrow before he asked, “Why the sudden suggestion?” But Daniel just grinned, “It makes me remember you’re actually older than me”

 

Thanks to Daniel’s quick reflexes, he was able to avoid Seongwoo who made an attempt to tackle him for the remark. In the end, both freshmen ended up running around the dorm room that afternoon until Seongwoo finally caught Daniel when he ‘gave up’.




 

Seongwoo stood in front of the mirror of their bathroom, hands with hair wax at his fingertips. Daniel encouraged him to stick with the comma hairstyle saying that ‘it could raise his confidence’ and somewhere along the lines of ‘looking like a y version of a nerd’. A comment which initiated another running session in the dorm room because Seongwoo was most definitely not a nerd, he just happens to wear glasses and puts an effort into studying.

 

He still had at least an hour before his morning class so if anything goes wrong, he still had time to make attempts. Before he could chicken out, Seongwoo let out a deep sigh and parted his fringe with the ratios Daniel used yesterday. After at least 15 minutes of shaping his fringe(since he was such a perfectionist), Seongwoo finally stepped back and examined his own attempt at the comma hairstyle. In the end, it came out better than he thought and now he still had at least 30 minutes left before his first class.

 

Still quite early.

 

Although he had plenty of time to spare, Seongwoo didn’t think about his outfit anymore and just settled with a white long sleeve shirt under a pastel pink sweater he found unused in his closet. Since it was still quite cold outside, he also took his black jacket with him and the maroon beanie by his bed before making his way out of the dorm. On the entire duration of his walk, Seongwoo wore his earphones while browsing through his notes for Business Law. Not once noticing how some students did a double take towards his direction.



 

It was still too early for Daniel to be fully awake and functional that his eyes were barely open while walking towards his only morning dance class. Daniel was just doing his usual routine: walking while wearing one earphone alongside light movements to refresh himself with their choreography. He always made sure to keep one earphone off after Jisung once threw a book at his head for not hearing him call his name from a distance.

 

“Did you see him?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Jaekyung mentioned about seeing that dean’s lister freshman looking different today.”

 

“What about him?”

 

“He suddenly looks more handsome now! It’s literally a visual shock”

 

When Daniel started picking up on the conversation of a random pair, he stopped in his tracks and grew curious. Stopping within a safe distance, Daniel pretended to tie his shoelaces while eavesdropping into the conversation.

 

“I’ve always thought he might have been handsome under those glasses and I was right!”

 

“I haven’t seen him today!”

 

“Oh you should, he’s totally eye candy now!”

 

That was the last thing Daniel heard before the pair was now too far away to be heard. Though it got Daniel intrigued.

 

I wonder who they were talking about?




 

“You guys heard? Apparently, Sungwoon is turning heads with his new style.” Came Taehyun’s voice when the dance class went on a break and everyone else in their small circle of friends (Daniel and Jonghyun included) looked over at his direction. “Wasn’t it Seongwoon?” Woojin asked and Daehwi also interjected, “Not quite sure, I just heard he’s a freshman.”

 

Daniel raised an eyebrow. Even guys are talking about the same person? “Who’s the freshman anyway?” Daehwi looked back at the pink-haired male with a glint of recognition in his eyes, “Ah! Okay, now I remember! Isn’t he always with Daniel-hyung?” Taehyun snapped his fingers and pointed at Daniel, “Oh, right! What was his name again? Hong?” Woojin scrunched his nose, “I think it was Gong? No that doesn’t sound right either..”

 

Finally, Daniel’s brain was now fully functional after all the hints the world has dropped on his. “Ahh! You mean Seongwoo? Ong Seongwoo?” Woojin and Taehyun stood up in unison with index fingers pointed at Daniel. “Yes! He’s the one.” Daniel was confused, what could Seongwoo have done to gain this much attention?

 

Jonghyun looked at his friend, curiosity and shock mixing up into one bewildered expression that Daniel couldn’t hide. “Weren’t you with him while we went out for karaoke yesterday?” The pink-haired male only shrugged, “Well yeah, I was. We just went out for ramen. I haven’t seen him today and now he’s the talk of the school?”

 

Taehyun only shrugged showing how himself was also confused, “Haven’t seen him either, guess we’ll just see later on.” Before any of them could respond, the instructor called them all back to continue their class.




 

Dance class was finally over and if memory serves him right, Seongwoo just finished his morning class for Marketing around 30 minutes ago. The pink-haired male took out his phone and decided to look for the business major to see if what people were making a fuss about.

 

To: Seongwoo

Just finished my dance class,

You free atm?

 

Putting his phone back in his pocket, Daniel decided to just walk around while waiting for a reply. If Seongwoo doesn’t reply within the next 5 minutes, then he’s probably still in class. Fortunately for him, Seongwoo replied just 4 minutes after his text was sent.

 

From: Seongwoo

Quadrangle.

Just reviewing.

 

The usual short replies. Daniel chuckled to himself before he proceeded to walk towards the quadrangle. It was still early morning so the quad shouldn’t be that crowded. Yet, when Daniel got to the quad, there were small crowds of people scattered around making him scratch his head in confusion. How am I going to find Seongwoo in such a crowd?

 

“There! By the center entrance!”

 

“Where? I can’t see!”

 

“Just look for the pink sweater!”

 

Daniel blinked and looked around after overhearing a random conversion that just urged him to follow. Turns out his gut feeling was right. There by the center entrance was Seongwoo in a pastel pink sweater with his familiar black jacket who was preoccupied with his notes. While Daniel was making his way towards the crowd, the whispers were somehow getting louder.

 

“So handsome!”

 

“How come I didn’t notice him before?”

 

“Do you think he’s something else without his glasses?”

 

“His coconut hairstyle is cute too..”

 

“Smart and handsome! When will I ever..”

 

Daniel could clearly see the compliments were directed to the bespectacled man. When Daniel was finally close enough to distinguish his facial features, he immediately knew why Seongwoo was suddenly a hot topic.

 

He kept the comma hairstyle.

 

And it looked damn good.

 

Compared to Daniel’s attempt, the way Seongwoo styled his own hair made it look more... Seongwoo. The dance major has always known how his friend could be a perfectionist and this time it definitely paid off. But it was the overall scenario that made Seongwoo look more aesthetic and pleasing to the eye.

 

Pastel pink sweater and wire-framed glasses making him look more soft and innocent while the black jacket made him look calm and collected which supports his ‘smart dean’s lister’ image while he reads through his notebook.

 

Similar to his experience when they first took in Niel, Daniel felt compelled to take pictures so he did before making his way through the students towards Seongwoo. “Been here the whole time?” Was the first thing Daniel asked and Seongwoo visibly flinched, hands coming up to cover his ear at the sudden voice before he looked up and readjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose while his other hand fell back on his sides. “Not really... I think? I don’t know.. I lost track of time.” The business major moved over when Daniel sat down beside him with an excited grin.

 

“So I see you kept the hairstyle?” He said while making wriggling movements with his eyebrow and Seongwoo hits him by his shoulder out of embarrassment before looking away “Shut up..” But Daniel wasn’t the slightest bit affected and was only laughing at the reaction. “The change is getting a lot of positive reaction though! Have you been hearing them? You’re practically the talk of the whole school!”

 

If Seongwoo were to compare Daniel’s reaction to something, it would probably be a dog wagging its tail waiting for a treat after doing something great. “I haven’t heard anything, what are you talking about?” Daniel’s face did a quick 180 change when his expression suddenly dropped. “You haven’t heard? People have been complimenting you left and right the whole day even if the college for business and performing arts are like the farthest from each other on campus!”

 

Seongwoo, once again, averts his gaze back to his notes in an attempt to hide his embarrassment while he unconsciously fingers the end of his styled fringe. “... Are you sure it's me?” Daniel rapidly nods in response and practically flails his arms when he gestures to the people around the quad which were undoubtedly sneaking glances in his direction.

 

True enough, when Seongwoo scanned through the whole quad, a number of people from every direction were looking at their direction while the not-so-subtle ones even had their phones out and Seongwoo has never felt so embarrassed. Being the silent dean’s lister he was, being the center of attention was an entirely new concept. Though if he still wanted to be a singer then he has to at least try and get used to it, right?

 

For the sake of seeking confirmation, Seongwoo hesitantly raised his hand and made a small wave towards a group who were looking at their direction and the group seemed to become flustered while one of them was not hiding the phone from him at all. The bespectacled male was equally flustered, once again looking down while doing his usual habit of pushing his glasses back up his nose to hide his blush from view. But Daniel has long since picked up that habit to know that Seongwoo was embarrassed from all the attention.

 

Daniel chuckled at his companion and reached out to gently brush Seongwoo’s fringe that covered his eyes, “See? I told you it would do you good.” Seongwoo blinked, still in the middle of processing what to say when he spotted a small speck of white land on Daniel’s nose. Before Seongwoo could figure out what it was, Daniel already beat him to it. “Snow! It’s the first snowfall!”

 

Filled with childlike wonder, Daniel immediately got up to his feet and started catching snowflakes in his hand. The dance major was well aware that snow was not something that every country experiences and that was probably why he loved winter. When Daniel looked back at Seongwoo, the bespectacled male was letting the snowflakes fall on his open palm with a soft smile on his face. The sight was beyond adorable, Seongwoo’s soft smile with wire-framed glasses giving him a more innocent vibe while the whiteness of snow compliments his pastel outfit.

 

Daniel suddenly had a whole new reason to love the winter season.

 


 

And thats for this week's update! Also did you all watch the Wanna One comeback??

The feels were definitely strong and my Ongniel heart couldn't take it T^T