Chapter 1

Chasing Light In The Darkness

Saki's P.O.V:

I looked down at the pure white toilet underneath me. I had both of my pale and frail looking hands gripping both sides of the toilet, cold and soothing against my pure burning skin. I inhaled deeply, before closing my light blue eyes. Vomit was in the bottom of it, swirled in different colors from the multiple types of medicine I have been taking. My body trembled and ached all over, as if I was being stabbed with multiple needles and swords at all angles.  I looked in the smudged mirror that was hanging over the faucet above me- my reflection smudged and dis-contorted.

"Stupid Cancer." I whispered, my voice still shaky and trembling from just getting sick.

I fumbled for the flusher, my tiny and petite fingers sliding along the glass of the toilet, all of the sides and back. My long and dark black hair was thinned out and cascading in my face, as well as my skin looking dull and pale; my eye sockets and other regions sinking in. My arms was very slim and thin, my bones clearly visible underneath. I always feel so weak doing the most simplest things- but I guess that's what happens. I looked at the small bathroom; the black and white checkered tile floor cold and grainy underneath my bare feet. I shuffled my way out, looking at the hospital bed before me.

I scanned the area and exhaled; the same boring tan curtains that hung lazily over the wide ranged windows that went from one wall to the other. The room was dimly lit- and the bed was centered perfectly in the middle; the machines that flashed different colors as well on the screens. I listened to them silently, almost making a rhythm out of it in my head. I grunted and inhaled; making my body wince in pain as my lungs screamed in protest before swinging my body onto the bed. I layed there, looking at the ceiling.

Kai's P.O.V

 "Are you really telling me there isn't anything you can do for my daughter?" 

A distressed women was standing in front of me, both of her hands firmly clasped together. She had long dark hair that was wavy in length and landed perfectly along her shoulders. Her face had dark red streaks that aligned the way her tears streamed down never ending. She had a clenix in her hand as she sobbed once more; words bubbling out in incoherent sentences. I rested my hand on her shoulder, in a way of comforting her. I had her sit down on outside waiting room chairs, the brown leather squeaking and groaning underneath us. I began explaining that the doctors tried everything they can, every medical procedure and chemo therapy. 

I have no idea how I got here. But here I am, taking care of this women and her daughter. Saki's been sick for a few years now, and she's been through countless types of treatments. I should now, I've been watching them. 

The women seemed to calm down, the area around us dead silent except the muffled sounds of her sobbing. I peered through my perfectly parted and rough looking dirty blonde bangs, my pale hand tapping her shoulder even though I barely touched her. We have came to the agreement that the time is up, and that there isn't anything we do for her daughter. Her mother has been fighting to keep her alive and well, but she's going to die. Everyone does die eventually.

With that, I stood up before giving my fingers a snap. Just like that, we faded back into reality and the room became bustling once more. The sound of people busily talking and rushing around, beeping of machines and the coughing of patients. Her mother looked around wildly for me, blinking and looking lost. I smirked before turning to the pure white wall, before walking though it.

Saki's P.O.V.

There's nothing we can do. We have been battling this for years, and we just spoke to one of the main doctors and he too- confirmed that there will be no way to cure you. Your life expectancy is four months.

Well, I have been in and out of hospitals since I was nine years old. My father died when I was six, he got in a fatal car accident. It's been me and my mother ever since, but she is heavily depressed and refuses to let me go.

I felt the tears sting the edges of my overly heavy eyes, that was sunk in, before sniffling as I felt m nose get groggy and clogged up, expressing my true emotions. I am so tired mentally and physically. I barely noticed as the nurses came and took my vital signs, as well as inject more things into the I.V that dangled protectively over myself to the right. The doctors outside the white door that was shielded away by a curved perfectly white brick wall in a freshly painted layout was out of my view, but I could hear the troubled conversation's they was having barely.

".... Not enough time."

"Like hell!.... Treatment isn't working.. Let her go already.."

"... Murder!"

The voices was muffled and different in tone and volume, but all of them seemed distressed. I stared at the speckled ceiling and even heard my mother's disoriented voice, she was clearly drunk. She must have gotten a drink while waiting for more feedback from the doctors in the tiny little tin flask she always hides away in her black gucci bag. I felt my head roll to the side, feeling weak from moving around and doing what the doctors asked of me. I felt my eyelids droop downwards as they fought to give away. I gave in from my battle against my body and conscious and began dozing off into my own thoughts where my pain did not exist any longer.

I wish they truly would give up. I am.

Kai's P.O.V

I loomed over the girl I have been watching over for some time. It's not that I'm her guardian, I'm not her savior. I'm her reaper. I need her soul in order to get closer to passing on myself, I'm dead. I listened to the sound of her machine beep and observed the way her chest rose and fell rhythmically as she dozed off. Everything around me was blurred and muffled, not exactly a clear image.  I scooted closer to her, the electronics beginning to turn into pure static and making a very loud hissing sound, as if it was warning me away. 

I looked at the red little line of a thermometer behind her overly sized hospital bed. 70... 60 Degrees.. 50 degrees. It continued to drop as I edged closer to her, before I loomed over her. I peered through my pure dirty blonde bangs, not having a shadow. I waved my hand over her face, before her pure blue eyes suddenly snapped open. She inhaled deeply and loudly, as if all the air has been from her lungs. She lunged upwards, her hair sticking up wildly over her thin and slender frame.

"W-Who are you?" She questioned hoarsely, observing in alarm, jerking away from the direction I was.

"Kai." I responded simply, giving her a half smile even though I could see the utter horror in her eyes.

"Are you a doctor?" She questioned, her eyes barely open and her voice hoarse from sleep as she dumbfound of of many sorts looked around.

"Maybe, Maybe not. You see, I need something from you. And quite frankly, I just took it." I hissed through clenched teeth, before observing her.

Her soul. It's mine now. Now she's a Jeongsin or spirit like myself. I heard from the Cheonsa's (Angel's) that she was a very special type of girl, and that she needed saved and would save many lost souls and other spiritual creatures.

To bad, because she's going to help me get out of this damn realm.

She slowly stood on her feet, looking more healthy and full. Her face and skin wasn't sunken in anymore, her hair seemed more vibrant as well as her skin color, and she didn't wince in pain anymore.

Saki's P.O.V

Who in the hell is this guy?

I stared at him, he didn't look quite Normal. He appeared to be very pale and his hair was a bleach blonde color; perfectly swayed upwards and his bangs cascading along his right eye- which was a overly bright blue. His eyes seemed to have a natural darkness; as if he was always wearing eye shadow and eyeliner. He had thick and huge weapons that aligned his belt; different shapes and sizes. His clothes appeared dark and tattered; a few holes in his clothes along his upper torso and chest region.

I stood up quickly; to inform that there was indeed a stranger in my room. He simply smirked; as a rush of dizziness rushed over me, making me stumble as I moved around. I looked over my shoulder; to see myself laying in bed. I felt my eyes widen in utter shock; before realizing what was going on. My machine beeped and bleeped rapidly before suddenly going still- the low pitched frequency of my heart stopping. The color of my other self seemed to drain of color and life, before the rising of my chest stopped as well.

Nurses and doctors raced in at a speedy pace; shouting codes and commands as there was more panicked voices in the hallway. I heard the far away voice of my mother as she begged to go inside and see me; which a doctor in a green nurse uniform demanded she stayed outside. The boy named Kai strolled next to me, looking pleased with himself. Nobody even noticed us. I waved my arms around wildly, even diving in front of the main doctor who pushed in a machine with paddles that would zap my body.

"Hey! I'm right here!" I shouted, before rushing around the room, my feet slipping and sliding under me.

"They can't hear or see you." He informed, snickering at me.

"What did you do to me!?"

"I answered your little thoughts and prayers."

I'm.. D-Dead?

Kai's P.O.V

"What's that thing around your neck?" She questioned, pointing to her neck.

I descended my gaze downward before seeing the warm and metal looking device latched around my neck. It looked like a metal color, firmly locked and stuck to the edges of my skin. I narrowed my gaze, not wanting to answer her. I looked back at the scenery, the noise and sound muffled but yet still barely audible from our realm. They opened up white gown; her black bra and underwear visible as they pressed the electric paddles against her body. There was the muffled words of Clear! before they did it again.

Not so fast, humans.

I lifted my hand upwards, before slamming it in a downward motion. Suddenly, there was sparks from the machine and the sockets; before more ignited simultaneously, the sparks in beautiful pieces of red and blues. I chuckled lowly as the humans screamed; their shrills voices looming far away. I swerved my hands to the sparks before  making them expand and contrast, transforming into flames before lunging them at the curtains. Soon, the once pure white curtains that ever flowed peacefully to the wind was being hungrily devoured by the monster I have awakened. 

There was a bunch of chaos everywhere; doctors and nurses running around. Saki watched in horror as they abandoned her lifeless body; even though some raced back in with fire extinguishers, their shadows dancing along as the room filled in with blackened smoke that appeared to the ceiling. The fire alarm went off; causing evacuation to circulate from the entire building. Children cried, while parents tried their best to coo at them for comfort.

I spread my arms out, before snapping my fingers, making the fire go out completely. Her eyes widened in utter shock as the hungry flames that lapped at the walls and other substances vanished with a blink of an eye.

Saki's P.O.V

"Who in the hell are you? No, What are you?!" I squeaked, feeling my body tremble in utter fear.

The boy held his hands up in surrender, even though everything around us was outlined in utter darkness, except the orange and red kissed pink sky that was dawning down, indicating the beginnings of sunset. I could still smell the scent of smoke, even though it was not visible at all. The boy seemed almost transparent in the dark, even though the collar around his neck shimmered in the dimming light. He followed my gaze, keeping his hands straight up next to his head, signaling he wasn't doing anything.

"I'm a spirit. Like you." He took a single step foreword, his black and white converses worn down and smudged.

I opened my mouth to speak, before looking down as a weight seemed to appear around my neck and upper shoulders. I glanced down through my long black hair that felt more alive- and appeared so too. The same silver collar dangled loosely around my neck, every crack and detail engraved along it. I felt my lip quiver as tears stung the edges of my eyes. I struggled to keep my muffled cries silent, but they bubbled from my chest all the way up my throat before exploding out of my lips.

Kai blinked before rolling his eyes, before descending his hands. He shoved them in his pockets, before stepping foreword. I rested my face in my hands, feeling the warm tears smudge onto my cold, dead and lifeless skin. I peered through my fingers to see him hesitantly edging towards me awkwardly, as if he didn't know exactly what to do. He opened his arms slowly, pausing every now and then if he was stuck. I sniffled and lifted my head, making my warm tears heat up my face yet trickle down faster.

The next emotion took over, anger. I raised my hand in the air, before stomping towards him. His icy blue eyes flickered wildly as if he was debating to react, before I smacked him straight across the face.

Kai's P.O.V

"What the hell?!" I shouted as my whole body jerked backwards.

I lifted my hand to my stinging and aching cheek. The warmth hurriedly rushed to my injured area, and she glared at me through her tears. I looked at her lifeless body behind us that shimmered before fading, along with everything else. Everything suddenly faded into a more horrible and run down appearance. The walls chipped away with horrible looking gray bricks that groaned and had multiple cracks, along with the ceiling and floors. The tiles that used to be brand now was now missing and dirt and blood covered.

"What's happening?" She jumped towards me, before suddenly smashing into my side.

"We're going into our actual realm. This is the human, or mortal realm. Spirits see a different version of the world, trapped between heaven and hell. We can't go back." I grunted as her grip tightened around my waist.

"What do you mean?! I'm alive?!" She screamed, looking up me with wide and wild eyes.

"Not anymore, kid. I stole your soul. See, I've been hunting and killing humans and spirits to be able to cross over myself. It's taken me years upon years to get this far. But you.. You are special." I poked her nose, smirking a half smile as she glared at my with utter hatred.

"Why should I help you?" She snapped, crossing her arms over her chest and eyeing me from the side of her vision.

"I'm sure the Cheonsa's will bring you back to your own world, or might help you cross over too. The whole  belief system of religion was more of a peace treaty when humans walked with the supernatural creatures. Who wants to kill and collect souls to have the right to cross over? Or be hunted by others who have to do the same?" 

Saki observed silently, even though she looked utterly terrified. "What do I have to do with any of this?"

"You see, you don't actually have cancer. Cheonsa's hid it like that. You actually have the ability to lock away all the evil in this realm, as well as the good. You're really powerful in this realm, a goddess."

Saki's P.O.V

I felt my lips tremble and a bit of spit flew out as I busted out into utter laughter.

Kai glared slowly, his smoky make-up fitting his utterly handsome face. I felt tears fill my eyes, but not from sadness or despair, but utter humor. He turned and walked away as I collected myself and composure, repeating the word goddess with different tones and expressions, making him look mad every single time. The hospital that was once filled with people was no abandoned, even the ceiling having multiple concrete holes and the foundation giving way. I listened to the tumbling of stones and debris as we kept walking down the once hallway, which was now stone pillars that leaned and was cracked on either sides of us.

"So, what you're saying is.. I have powers?" I questioned as he rested his leather gloved hands on his head. 

"Yeah. But you have to discover them. You used to be an angel, but you gave yourself up for innocent humans that was in dangers, and to close the seal. So it's harder for Cheonsa's and Agma's to even go into the human realm. No mortal's can be hurt. In exchange, you was reborn into a human. We didn't know your power would make you sick inside, so you've had guardian's watching over you until the time was right, when you was ready to hunt your destiny."

"Wait." I stopped and listened to the echoing of my feet scraping against the ground, making tiny stones fly up under my bare feet that winced and cringed.

He looked back at me, at the edge of the hospital, the sky clear ahead. 

"Are you saying.. You are one of my guardians?" 

That explains why some of the doctors only spoke to me and nobody else, why some of the nurses and staff never knew who I was talking about and blamed it on my medicine.. Why I was the only one who can see him.

Kai's P.O.V

"Oh please, I don't do that. Heaven, hell, I'll end up somewhere." I scoffed and glared at her.

She gasped silently as we reached the open outlands of the 'In between.' The sky was a blood red with a black mist that circled the lower layer of the sky. There was few trees, except wilting and dying ones that groaned and gave ever lasting shadows along the barren and crisp light brown chipped ground. There was a slight breeze, as it along my face and slithered through my bleach blonde hair like fingers. Building's around us was covered in ash and vines, cracks and holes visible as they leaned inwards.

"Welcome home." I turned around and walked backwards, spreading my arms out in a welcoming gesture.

She shuffled towards me, her hands tucked close to her chest and her expressions soft and terrified, almost making me sorry for her. I stopped as there was a horn sound in the red sky, echoing and ringing around. I cringed, before the sky suddenly parted down the middle, before a dazzling and hypnotic pure white light cascaded down with a light blue mist trickling down like rain. I felt my heart race in my chest, feeling fear pierce my soul all over. Saki gasped in aw as it lit up the gloomy world we was in.

Outlines of people descended downwards, the loud and thundering sounds of wings. I could see my old companion, my old friend. Byun Baekhyun. His icy blue eyes was enhanced in it's color, and his skin was almost a pure white. He glared before he reached behind him before I screamed a "It's time to go!" To Saki who seemed hypnotized by the Cheonsa's entrance. Suddenly, a huge blade with a ancient language engraved on the pure white handle that seemed to glow smashed into the ground a few inches away, the blade connected to a long black chain that was gripped in his hand.

"Who is that?!" She screeched loudly over her shoulder as we broke out into a run.

"I'll explain later!"