Suicide

I Swear

 

I do not think that I had ran faster before in my life. I had to run a good ten miles to get to the burning apartment building. When I got there I saw Baylee outside holding Bobby, and Anne outside cursing. Then I ran into the building. 

“What the hell!” I heard Anne shout. I ignored her. Damn it was hot in there. The flames were on the top of the building. I ran around screaming Lucy’s name. I got no answer. I started to cry, and run around. 

Then I heard Erich’s voice calling my name. “Kylie! What the hell! Damn it! Where are you?” He asked running around, watching out for flames. 

I didn’t know whether to stay silent or shout back at him. If I stayed silent it would make it a lot harder to find her, but if I shouted back, he might take me outside and will never have the chance to save her.

“C’mon Kylie, I heard it all! I know where she is...I helped her,” he pleaded.

I froze. I thought we were friends, and he helped kidnapping my sister. Why would I want help from him? “Why did you help her?” I demanded, trying to stay hidden, while searching for Lucy.

He started to walk towards my voice. “She said if I helped her, she wouldn’t hurt you.” His voice was getting closer. 

I ran deeper into the burning apartment. I went into Cassy’s room. I tripped and fell. Flames started to on my jeans. I quickly got up, and pat out the flames. It had started to burn my skin, I cried out, but quickly got the flames out. 

Erich heard my cry. The house started shake, it was going to collapse. He came running into the room I was in. He staggered over some debris. He saw me. “Kylie! Please I’m begging you, let me help you. I know where she is!” He shouted over the rumble, and groans of the house breaking, while we were in there. 

“Just tell me where she is!” I shouted back. The house shook more, and dust came off the ceiling. 

“She is up there!” He shouted pointing up. She was on the roof. The fire had started downstairs, so she should be okay, but the flames were quickly up the side of the building. “The building will collapse by the time you get to the tenth floor. Please let me get her!” He shouted in a pleading tone of voice. 

“I don’t trust you!” I shouted back and went to run out of the room. He stopped me, by putting his arm around my waist, and curling it, stopping me. I gasped. “Let me go!” I screamed. 

“Kylie! Listen to me!” He shouted. The building shook more. 

“No!” I screamed. 

“Kylie! It wasn’t your fault! That man didn’t die because of you! It was because of me, if the cops blame you, say it was me!” He shouted, then let me go. 

I didn’t hesitate, I ran to the stair well. There were flames blocking it. I sighed heavily, but started to cough. My lungs were one fire. I coughed some more, but I had to get to my sister, no matter what. I know I was about to die, but I was going to live on, till I take her to safety. 

I jumped over the flames, and landed on a stair, but my legs gave out. I tumbled to the ground. My leg was on fire again, this time it was burning my flesh. I screamed and patted it out again. I shot up and cried out in pain again. My leg was hurting so bad, and so was my arm. I tried to make a fist, it hurt too bad. It was broken. 

I had to ignore the pain and move on, but it hurt really bad. I will not lie, the thought crossed my mind, of calling for Erich, but I remembered, he helped the murderer who wants to kill my sister. I struggled on. 

I was on the tenth floor. The debris that were falling were getting bigger. Erich was right it was going to collapse by the time I get to the tenth floor. No...I managed to push that thought out of my head. I couldn’t die, not yet. Not without Lucy being safe. I ignored the pain I was in. My leg was burnt, and bleeding, my lungs were filled with smoke, and my arm had gone numb, but it wasn’t going to stay numb for long. 

I ran to the twelve floor, and then a piece of debris, like a huge piece, fell in front of me. It blew dust into my eyes. I cried out. It burned, all I could see was red. I blinked a few times, it barley help with the pain, but I was able to see. I continued to struggle through out the building. The flames, were probably up on the side of the twelve floor. One floor from my sister. 

I ran, panting loudly, letting smoke engulf my lungs. For Lucy, for Lucy, for Lucy. I said in my mind. I ran up to the twelve floor, like I suspected, the flames were already here. I ran more up the stairs. I was about to collapse, my leg was burning so bad, and my eyes were burning. I got to the roof. The flames were already up here. 

“Lucy!” I screamed. All I heard were crackling of the flames, and sirens. Wait sirens? I look over the roof. There were cop cars pulling up, the firemen had already arrived. I watched the cops slam their doors shut, then running up to Erich, they were going to arrest him. 

“Lucy!” I screamed again, and looked around.

“Sis?” I heard Lucy say very weakly. 

I gasped and ran towards her voice. “Lucy!” She was curled into a ball, there were flames creeping up behind her. “Lucy! Get up and run.” I watched her slowly crept up. Her legs were trembling. I ran up to her then picked her up. I ran to the doorway to get back down stairs. The other floor, was in flames. The building shook again. It was going to collapse any moment. 

I then remember the dream I had. We were on a building, and jumped to commit suicide, maybe not, maybe we were trying to escape, that it when I said, “sister we have to jump!” 

“But that is suicide...” She complained. I ignored her and carried her to the edge of the building. One of the cops pointed at me, and shouted to a fireman. Then the firemen ran to the fire truck, they grabbed a sort of trampoline. 

The cop ran to his car, and started to dig around in the back seat. He came out with a megaphone, and banged his head. He grabbed his head and winced. Hell, he doesn’t know how much pain I am in. “Please be Patient, we will have rescue for you!” He yelled into the megaphone. “Please wait, do not jump yet,” 

He repeated. The building shook then started to collapse. Lucy screamed I quickly threw Lucy off the building and then jumped. I watched Lucy being caught by Baylee, but what about me? Anne couldn’t catch me, nor could Bobby. Erich was being arrested, and Olivia and Cassy, were both dead. I was going to die.

I didn’t want to die! Not yet! I wanted to see my sister grow up! I wanted to see...I wanted to see my father. Why the hell did it hit me then. Dad was drinking, because he was stressed out. My mother was doing drugs, selling drugs, he was worried that she would be arrested, and he wouldn’t be able to fend for me an Lucy. 

The ground was coming close too quickly. I closed my eyes, and fell asleep. 

 

I appeared in a room. It was my old bedroom, it looked different. It was nice and clean, my mattress was now on a bed, and my closet was full of clothing. My dad walked in with Lucy. 

“How does it look angel?” He asked Lucy in that soothing voice he had, when I was six. He had that heart warming smile on. The kind that made you feel good, the kind that was like that perfect day, not a cloud in the sky, not too hot, not too cold. 

“It looks nice daddy...but it’s not the same...not the same without Lucy,” She said looking down. 

“She will be fine dear, she will heal in time,” he said as he bent down and kissed her forehead. Lucy’s face brightened up a little. She hugged him, and started to cry. Then I noticed, dad was crying to. He kissed the side of her head, then said, “I love you because we are family, Kylie will be okay.” 

This was a dream. Was I dead? No dead people don’t have dreams. Do they? I never will know, I have never been dead before. I hope I’m not dead, I hope that someone saved me. 

I had committed suicide.