Blood Hair

I Swear

A boy named George Antione was found killed this morning at 8:30. He had a stab mark on his chest. Witnesses of the scene, say there was a boy and a girl that had jumped them, and when they tried to fight back, the girl took out her knife, and stabbed George. They said the girl had brown hair, and she looked around fourteen to fifteen, the boy had black hair, and was around the same age as the girl. The police believe the girl is Kylie Bertie. A runaway child. The boy on the other hand is to be determined. 

 

“My daughter Lucy, is with a murderer…why my daughter would swoop to that level, I have no clue, all I have to say is, Lucy if you’re reading this, come home…” Said the father of Lucy and Kylie. Please if you see Kylie, or Lucy, please inform the police immediately. 

 

I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Baylee gave me a newspaper, that had my recent school picture on the front cover of the newspaper. I was famous, they were acting like a murder was new to our town. You would never see on the news, or newspaper, MURDER IN DURHAM, but when a fourteen-year-old, runaway child murders someone, then it hits the news. 

“How come they didn’t have your name but they had your description?” I asked Erich later that day, while we were smoking on the roof. 

“I have changed over the three years, I used to have long shaggy brown hair, but when I ran away…I knew I had to change my looks,” He said and took a long drag on his cigarette. 

About half way through the day, Baylee went to the store, to grabbed some supplies. Well, turns out the supplies he went to get was, hair dye, and scissors. 

The hair dye was light red. “What is that for?” I asked Olivia while she getting out the hair dye.

“We’re dying your hair,” Olivia said. “And cutting it.” 

I froze, my eyes went wide. “Cutting! Dying!” I was in shock. I quickly started to stoke my hair. “But my hair is perfectly fine.”

“I didn’t say it looked bad on you, we need to dye and cut it, because you are wanted, we need to change your appearance. You’re wanted now, we need to do everything in our power for you not to get caught, now take a seat,” she said and finished setting up the hair dye. She went into a room, and came back carrying an old wooden chair. 

I sat down. My hands locked around the edge of the chair, when she took the scissors and started to cut my hairs. By the time she was finished, my hair was as short as Erich’s. She grabbed the dye and put some on her hands, she started it rub it in my hair. It felt weird, I have never had my hair dyed before. It felt like when you take a shower and you put your head under the water then you get soap in your eyes. For some odd reason, when she squirted it out, my eyes started to burn. 

When she finished, she had me sit still for an hour. She handed me a cigarette, and placed it into my mouth, and lit it for me. “What will happen if I get caught?” I asked when she took out my cigarette to let me blow out smoke. 

“You will be either executed, or life in prison,” she said and placed the cigarette back in my mouth. 

She took it out. I blew out some smoke. “Damn…I’m really a wanted person.”

“So is Erich, he is yours accomplish. He is having his hair bleached,” she said and put the cigarette back in my mouth. 

I started to imagine what Erich would look like with bleached hair. He looked like one of those boys, that Hitler thought were the perfect person. Blond hair with blue eyes. Except he had black eyes so that didn’t work. 

 

 

About an hour later she poured water onto my hair, she made sure to cover my eyes, but that didn’t help the burning. She pulled out a makeup mirror and showed it to me. I looked like those nerds you would see in the eighties movies. Except without the huge glasses. My hair was bright red, with some brown streaks going through it. 

“Just add the glasses and I’ll look like a nerd,” I said smirking.

“I know but it will keep you hidden for now,” she said and pushed my hair behind my ear. “Perfect,” she mumbled under her breath. “Do not go outside for three months, if you make it that long.” 

“There is a bunch of murders in this town, why do they all of suddenly care when I do it?” I asked and pulled my hair back out from behind my ears. 

“Who’s to say that don’t care? They have been trying to find out who this serial killer is for months now, she is just too sneaky,” she said sighing heavily. 

“She? How do you know it’s a girl?” I asked.

“I just do, boys are too stupid to not get caught. Girls, they would plan the cleanup,” she said.

“You never know,” I shrugged, but she just rolled her eyes. 

“So how do I look, red?” Erich’s voice asked from behind. 

I looked behind me. His hair was completely blond. His eyes stood out now. “Uh…lovely,” I managed out. To be honest he looked like a teacher’s pet.

“Damn…you look like a nerd,” he said looking me up and down. 

I think my face turned as red as my hair. “Well, you look like a teacher’s pet!” I blurted out. 

“That’s enough you two,” Olivia said cleaning up her area. 

“Well, at least my hair isn’t as red as the victim’s blood,” He snapped at me. 

Again, everything went red and next thing I knew, Erich was on the ground rubbing his cheek. It had red marks, that looked like a hand. My hands were stinging in pain. I looked over at Olivia, and her skin was pale. 

“Why the hell did you do that!” He shouted at me still on the floor.

“Did what?” I asked stuttering. 

“Slap me! Why the hell did you slap me! I was only joking! You look beautiful!” He said and got to his feet and stormed to his room. 

Olivia turned back to her mess and finished cleaning it all up. She probably felt awkward. 

“Did I really slap him?” I asked. She nodded. “I didn’t mean to.”

“Most people don’t mean to cause harm to other people, yet they still do it,” she said and threw the supplies into a tin can, that was the trashcan. 

“He is going to hate me,” I said and started to feel guilty. 

“He won’t hate you forever,” she said and left the room, leaving me alone with my guilt

 

I had a strange dream last night. Me and Olivia were in the same alleyway. She had a bloody knife in her hand. The boy who I had killed, was on the ground dead. 

Olivia looked up at me, and said: “Shhh, don’t tell no one.” 

Then the scene change. Me and my sister were on a building, a building on fire. I was holding her hand, we were on the edge. 

She looked at me, and asked: “Are we really gonna jump?” 

I wanted to say no, but my head forced a nod. I looked down, there was a group of flames on the ground. There were cop cars around the building. Sirens ringed in the distance, and it was pouring rain. 

I heard a door shoot open from behind me. Then I heard Erich’s voice. “Kylie! Don’t jump! It’s not worth it!” He shouted. Then we jumped.