Eunhyuk and Kharin

The Loss of Order - One Shots

               The early morning light of dawn woke a sleepy Kharin as she lay in bed, comfortably nestled amidst the covers and pillows.  It took her a moment to realize that Eunhyuk was absent from the bed beside her and she picked her head up, a slow smile spreading across her face when she heard delighted laughter from outside.

                Easily, she slid out of bed, the sleeping shift swaying comfortably against her body as she walked and her unbound hair trailing down her back.  She stepped out into the main room and her smile widened as she smelled coffee wafting from the kettle over the fireplace.  “He knows me so well,” she murmured to herself contentedly as she quickly poured a cup for herself, adding just a bit of sugar and milk before taking a sip.  The dining table was bare except for a pitcher of water which she noted and then forgot about as she headed for the open front door.

                “Daddy!” a young, jubilant voice shrieked as a little boy ran towards Eunhyuk.  Fine blonde hair bounced animatedly on his head as the three year old tottered after his father, hands raised in glee.  “Up!” he demanded with an infectious grin, movements still awkward in a body he was quickly growing into.

                Eunhyuk continued to back up slowly on the grass covered ground, keeping Eunchin just out of reach with an answering grin on his face, sun bleached blonde hair swinging into his soft brown eyes periodically.  Subtly, wind played around them both, pulling at stray strands of hair and tugging at the loose shirts they wore.  “Up?” he teased softly, proud laughter in his voice, slightly deeper and more experienced now that he was nearing twenty six.

                “Up!” the little boy laughed again, stopping to hop in place excitedly.

                In an instant, Eunhyuk stepped in and grabbed his son under the arms, hefting him up into the air, eliciting a delighted squeal from the young boy.  Easily, he tossed the little boy into the air where Eunchin flailed animatedly, floating on the wind that swirled around him, supporting him like an invisible net.  “Like that?” Eunhyuk asked in amusement, his eyes trained expertly on the wriggling mass of limbs before him as he read the winds.

                “Yay!” the boy shrieked, his blonde hair blown back from his face and his hazel green eyes filled with delight.  Still floating, he spied Kharin in the doorway, watching with a contented smile on her face.  “Mommy!” he pointed and declared.

                Eunhyuk glanced over to look and his smile turned warm and appreciative as he noticed her lounging against the doorframe, an aura of quiet confidence around her.  “Okay,” he laughed, focusing on his son again and letting the wind drop him into his waiting supportive arms, eliciting another peal of laughter.  “Go see mommy,” he urged, placing Eunchin on the ground and watching with quiet pride as his son hurried to the doorway and the admirable woman there.

                Kharin quickly set the mug of coffee down just inside the doorway and bent down in front of her son.  She opened her arms wide and the child threw himself into them, hugging around her neck tightly.  “And how’s my little boy today?” she asked softly, running her fingers through his feather soft hair in a familiar, maternal gesture.

                “Good,” he answered automatically, pulling back to grin at her with a mouth of little teeth, chubby cheeks flushed from playing with his father.  Endearingly, she leaned him backwards and attacked him with kisses.  “Mommy!” he cried, delighted indignation clear in the single word as he wriggled in her arms.

                “Oh, alright,” Kharin chuckled, relenting as she set him back down on the ground, pleasantly surprised when Eunhyuk came up next to her and planted a quick kiss on her cheek.

                “Sleep well?” he asked as he slid his hands comfortably around her waist and pulled her close.

                “Quite,” she nodded, leaning over to kiss his cheek softly, savoring the feel of resting against him.

                Feeling left out, Chin pulled on her hand and demanded, “Me too!”

                “Okay,” she laughed, amused by his expression.  Easily, she leaned down and hauled him back up where he then reached for Eunhyuk.  “I see how it is,” she laughed, giving her husband a sidelong glance.

                He shrugged and reached to take him from her.  As he did so, he planted a kiss firmly on the chubby cheek and then pulled his head back, mouth and eyes open wide in feigned surprise as their son giggled and pulled back, pretending he didn’t want the attention.  “No,” he stated, unable to keep from laughing when Eunhyuk tossed him up again to float him before them, squirming delightedly.

                Kharin plucked him from the air and hugged him close.  “You are spoiled.”

                “No I not!” he denied in his sweet voice, giggling again despite himself.

                “Oh yes you are,” she assured him with an exaggerated nod, her wavy hair flowing over her shoulders and tickling him at the gesture.

                “Come on you two,” Eunhyuk smiled as he pressed his lips to the side of Kharin’s head tenderly and ushered them inside.  “I know you haven’t eaten yet and he’s always hungry,” he chuckled.

                “Sounds like someone else I know,” she winked at him, at which he shrugged helplessly.  Carefully, he closed the door behind them, a very content expression on his face as they disappeared inside.

            With Eunhyuk’s attentive assistance, both in keeping Eunchin distracted and doing what he could to help Kharin as she went about preparing their morning meal, breakfast was ready in no time.  The shadow elementalist had learned some of the finer points of cooking in the time since they had defeated Enrhyll and was a fair hand at it now.  Flat cakes were a snap and one of their son’s favorite foods, smothered in honey when they would allow it.

            Carefully, she set a platter of the steaming cakes on the table, to her son’s delight, and then brought a small bowl of fried pork cutlets topped with thick, white gravy.  With an amused smile, she went to retrieve the cup of coffee she had left by the door and then took her seat across from Eunhyuk.  She smiled over the rim of the tepid drink, content despite the cooler temperature since both her boys were happily digging into breakfast.

            Eunchin had definitely inherited his father’s appetite, which he demonstrated quite admirably in polishing off two whole flat cakes and half of a gravy covered cutlet.  Kharin got a smaller plate after a moment of watching them and then ate more slowly, savoring the morning.

            She smiled gratefully at Eunhyuk when he got up to retrieve the used dishes, flushing lightly when he leaned in to place a quick kiss on her cheek.  “Thank you, dear,” he whispered quietly before setting the dishes on the counter and stepping outside to retrieve a bucket of their rainwater to take care of the used plates.

            Kharin played with Eunchin while the wind elementalist did clean up, wrestling with him playfully in the living area.  She was careful not to upset him since he had just eaten but he laughed and came at her delightedly.  When she looked over her shoulder and saw that Eunhyuk was finished, she caught their son in her arms and picked him up to blow a raspberry on his tummy.

            Eunchin shrieked happily and stated plaintively, “Mommy!”

            “What?” Kharin giggled with a mischievous look in her eyes.

            “No!” he responded by placing his tiny hands over .

            She responded by kissing his hands instead and then gave Eunhyuk a challenging look.  “Would you be up to practicing today?” she asked coyly, her eyes slightly narrowed as she turned around and easily deposited their son into his arms.

            “Maybe he’ll go easy on me today,” Eunhyuk teased, purposely misinterpreting the question while he settled the little boy on the floor, one small hand still grasped in his own.  “Of course, Kharin,” he nodded reassuringly, quickly stepping towards her as he moved his free hand to caress the side of her face, stealing a kiss on the lips and then retreating swiftly with Eunchin in tow.  “I’ll meet you outside,” he winked with an amused glance at her sleeping clothes.

            Kharin managed a very convincing mock scowl before she went to change into more appropriate day clothes.  When she stepped outside, she found Eunhyuk pretending defeat on the ground, Eunchin lying victoriously across his chest.  She laughed and knelt next to them, “Did you beat daddy?”

            “Yes!” he answered enthusiastically with a toothy grin as he pushed himself up using Eunhyuk’s chest as his support.

            With an answering smile Kharin reached out and hauled him off his father, twirling him up above her in the air energetically.  Eunhyuk hopped to his feet easily and between the two, they managed to tire Eunchin out enough for a nap around midmorning.  With amused smiles, they deposited their sleepy son in his bed as he rubbed his eyes tiredly.  Kharin summoned a shadow construct that looked remarkably like a scruffy dog and leaned close as she instructed it to come and get her if their son woke up.

            Satisfied, she pat it on the head and slipped her hand into Eunhyuk’s with a quiet smile before they returned outside.  The elementalists faced off with each other just outside the front door, relaxed grins on their faces.  “Ready?” Eunhyuk asked softly, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

            “Of course,” Kharin responded with a jaunty laugh before springing at him.

            Just as they used to in the days before they became elementalists, Kharin and Eunhyuk gave themselves up to the enjoyable experience of sparring, relishing in the feel of the swift and challenging exertion.  Both had made sure to keep up with their routines in the time since they had defeated Enrhyll and it showed as they danced around each other.

            As their sparring was winding day, a playful toss from Kharin sent Eunhyuk to the ground where he rolled to his feet with surprising speed.  With a grin, he caught her right hand in his, twirled her halfway around and then pulled her close as he trapped her in the circle of his arms.  Contentedly, he rested his chin on her shoulder and laughed, “You let me win.”

            “Did I?” she asked coyly, rather thinking she had won considering how the match had ended.  She shrieked in surprised delight when he playfully nibbled her neck and half-heartedly attempted to flee as she brought her shoulder up to protect the vulnerable area.

            Eunhyuk released her from his arms but maintained a hold on her hand and followed her at a more relaxed pace.  He was still cooling down from their sparring match and was in no hurry to go anywhere just then.  Instead, he just looked at her as she turned back round to face him, a few stray tendrils of hair curling artfully over her cheeks.  “Thank you,” he breathed gratefully, holding her gaze steadily.

            Kharin threaded the strands back over her ear and ducked her head with a shy smile before closing the distance and throwing her arms around his neck in a warm hug.  “Thank you,” she responded, tightening her arms as she felt his do the same.  After a moment, they separated slowly and then, hand in hand, retreated back indoors at a leisurely stroll, enjoying the resultant euphoria of their time together.  Their day was just starting and already it looked to be quite promising; a probability they looked forward to enjoying.

 

(a/n:  Upon further inspection, I felt this needed more so I came back and built on what I already had.  They're so cute!  <3 )