Chapter 4

Medium

Namjoon POV

I walk inside a convenience store to get some snacks. I reach for the box of pocky and, at the same time, someone else also grabs it. We both let go at the same time and it fell on the ground. We both reach pick it up and my hand accidentally touch hers. What the hell? She pulls away immediately and I look up.

"Oh, Hime." I said. "Uh, did you see that?"

"See what?" She asks.

"When we bent down to grab the snack, I saw a pair of feet standing there next to our hands. They had no shoes on." I explain.

"I didn't see anything." She said. "Are your eyes playing tricks on you?"

"No. I'm sure I saw it." She raise her brow and looks at me. "You don't believe me."

"I didn't say that. You said it yourself." She raise her hand up in surrender.

"I really saw it."

"Ok." She nods.

"I really did."

"And I said 'ok'!"

I jog after Hime after she left the store. "Hey, Hime!" She stops and turns around. "So, about the husband's ghost..." I scratch the back of my neck awkwardly. "You're serious about that?"

"Is that all you have to say?"

"Yeah?" I reply sounding more like a question than a statement.

"Yah, you don't even believe in ghosts, so why do you even care?" She said and walks off.

********************************************

I sat down at my desk and continue to type on my laptop. I couldn't get any work done with Taehyung and Jungkook's loud talking. Why would they talk about Overwatch instead of working on their reports? Thinking about it again frustrates me and I cover my face with my hands. When I pull my hands away, I look at the drawing on my wrist and remember the way Hime and I stare at each other. I smile and shake my head at the memory. She's a beauty, but is so...she's such a smart mouth. I look out the window towards Hime's room. She was packing stuff into a bag and she walk out. Where is she going? I grab a sweater and run out after her.

She walk down a secluded dark alley and into an abandoned warehouse. There she pulled out a necklace and put it into a metal bin. She pull out something and pour the contents in. She pull out another bottle and squeeze the liquid into the bin. She pull out some matches dropping it in the bin creating a fire. She watch it burn until it dies down a bit and zips her bag making her way out.

********************************************

I laid on my bed. Should I tell Taehyung and Jungkook? No. They're friends. They'll definitely defend her. I should keep an eye on her.

No POV

The police are holding a press conference to give information on the news following up with the case. Everyone is setting up and preparing.

"Hoseok, come on. Follow me over here." Sarang said.

"Give me some time. Just so you know, the camera is heavier than it looks."

"Why is my cameraman such a weakling?" Sarang laughs.

"Just because you're my friend's fiancée doesn't mean you can be mean to me." Hoseok states.

"I'm kidding." Sarang chuckles and bumps into someone else. "I am so sorry."

"I'm sor-Sarang!" Areum yells.

"Areum! It's been awhile!" Sarang shouts and they both hug each other.

"I haven't seen you since...that time." Areum finish awkwardly.

"Yeah." Sarang nods. "Where's Hime?"

"You know her. She's where she is always at."

"Right. She hardly leaves her home or her architect firm because she doesn't like physical human contact."

"Why are you two talking me behind my back?"

"Hime!" Both Sarang and Areum shouts.

"We were just talking about you!" Sarang shouts.

"Yeah. I heard." Hime hugs Sarang. "I haven't seen you since...you became more focused on your reporter career."

"Says the person who hardly leaves her home."

"Hey. That's recent. I used to go out all the time, remember?"

"Yeah, way too often. Like, every night?" Areum chuckles.

"I don't do that anymore." Hime retorts.

"Or so you say." Areum said.

"Oh! Girls, this is Hoseok. My camera man. Hoseok, this is Areum and Hime. My friends since third year of junior high." Sarang introduces them to each other.

"Hi." They all greet each other.

"Excuse me girls, Hoseok is going to go set up, while I go to the restroom." Sarang states.

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead." Hime and Areum agrees.

"Hime! Areum!" Taehyung shouts. "I haven't seen you girls since..."

"Yesterday." Hime and Areum replies.

"Yesterday." Taehyung repeats and the girls chuckles.

"Working hard or hardly working, Taehyung?" Hime asks.

"Of course I'm working hard." Taehyung pouts.

"Where's Jungkook?" Areum asks.

"In the restroom."

"I see. I'll be back." Areum waves and walks off to find Jungkook.

Jungkook POV

I walked out of the restroom and bumped into someone.

"I'm sor-" we both apologize and stop half way.

"Jungkook/Sarang."

"What are you doing here?" Sarang asks.

"My job. I'm a police officer. Of course I'm going to be here at the press conference that the police officers are holding." I emphasize police officers.

"Of course." Sarang states. "Just so you know, I'm here for work too since I'm a reporter."

"I know. I didn't even ask why you were here."

"I'm telling you just in case you were wondering." Sarang said and walks off. I lean against the wall with my eyes closed.

Sarang is here y'know.

I know. I met her already.

How do you feel?

There is no time to feel anything. We are both here for work. I'm going.

Namjoon POV

I walked into the room where the conference will be holding place in and spot Hime talking with Taehyung. He is whispering in her ear and she broke out in laughter.

"Taehyung." I call out and approach them.

"Hey, hyung." Taehyung greet me.

"Where's Kook?"

"Baby Kook is in the restroom." Hime replies.

"I asked Taehyung."

Hime rolls her eyes. "I'll see you later baby Tae. Love you."

"Love you too." Taehyung blew her a kiss and she walks off.

"Why does she call you baby? And she even said 'I love you'."

"Because were friends." Taehyung replies. "Duh."

"Hey, what's up." Jungkook said joining us.

"Hime just call Taehyung 'baby'?" I said.

"She does that all the time. In fact, she calls me that too." Jungkook states nonchalantly.

"Why does she call you that?" I ask.

"Because were friends." They deadpan.

“And we did date her for a brief period of time.” Taehyung adds.

"Oh yeah. We did." Jungkook agrees.

"Wait, you both dated her?"

"Yeah?" They nod.

"You two are friends, and you both dated her?"

"Yeah? What's the problem?" Jungkook asks.

"Yeah. We're all friends." Taehyung adds.

"That's the problem!" I shout.

"We like her and we have no problem with it." Jungkook said.l with a shrug.

"Hey, I think it's starting." Taehyung states and pulls Jungkook towards the stage with me following suit. They both dated her? I really can't tell them my plan. I'll have to really secretly watch Hime myself huh?

********************************************

"The case is solved." Taehyung cheers.

"Congratulations. I hope you will stop bothering me now." Hime said.

"Thank you Hime! We'll definitely come back to you for help, love." Jungkook states.

"I prefer you don't." Hime chuckles. "Don't call me. Bye." She waves and walks off.

"I have something to do. I won't be at the office today." I excuse myself and follow Hime.

She walk to her office and I trail not to far from her. She stops in her tracks and bend down then got up and starts walking again. I look at her then to the wall and back at Hime. Her motion seems like she picked up a ball and rolled it back to its owner. I shrug it off and continue to follow her. She went into her work place and I sit outside observing her. Suddenly my phone starts ringing.

"Hello?" I answer eyes still on Hime. "Huh? What happened? Alright. I'm coming." I ran to the crime scene. "What happened?" I ask Jungkook.

"Like I told you on the phone, an electric sign fell on a customer." Jungkook points to the scene.

"I know that. What I want to know is, how did it happen, who did it and why did they do it?"

"We don't know. From what the witnesses are saying, it just suddenly fell and landed on him." Taehyung states.

"I should call Areum." Jungkook said pulling out his phone.

"I'll call Hime." Taehyung said and Jungkook nods in agreement.

"Wait, why?!" I ask, which Taehyung and Jungkook did not answer.

********************************************

"I literally told you not to call me for help an hour ago and what do you do? Call me up." Hime sighs. "Alright. What's up?"

Taehyung starts explaining to Hime what happened.

"Hold up!" I pull Taehyung away from Hime. "You can't just share our information like that."

"Why not? A bunch of people witnessed it."

"It's ok baby. I'll receive the information from Areum. Meet you at the hospital?"

"Ok." Taehyung nods and she walks off. We observe the scene for awhile before we decide to leave for the hospital. Taehyung, Jungkook and I all head straight to Areum's office. Jungkook knocks and opens the door to reveal an empty room.

"She's not in here." He states.

"Obviously." I roll my eyes.

"Excuse me!" Taehyung caught one of the nurses walking by. "Have you seen doctor Areum?"

"Ah, she went to visit the new patient in the ICU."

"Thank you." He said and turn to us. "ICU."

"We heard. Let's go." I order and we all head there.

When we got to the ICU, Areum was putting on her regular cloth gloves that she always wears. Hime was staring at the man who had gotten hit with the electric sign.

"How is he?" Jungkook asks.

"In a coma." Areum answers and we all sigh.

"Do you know how it happened?" Taehyung asks.

Looking me right in the eyes, Hime replies, "Just a loose screw. Nothing you can do about it."

"I see." Taehyung and Jungkook said in sync.

There must be more to the story. And she is not going to tell me.

“Are you sure there’s nothing we can do about it?” I ask.

“Well, depends. Will you put a loose screw in jail?”

“I see. I’ll investigate more.”

“You’ll just be wasting your time.”

“You-”

“Hime!”Areum shouts cutting me off. “Stop being a jerk. Sorry about her attitude, Namjoon-ssi.”

I nod. “It’s ok. I understand.”

“Sure you do.” Hime rolls her eyes and walks out of the room.

“Hime!” Taehyung runs after her.

“Oh, Areum, you don’t have to speak to me so formally, y’know. Just Namjoon or oppa is ok with me.”

“Ok then. Namjoon.” She drop the formality.

“Perfect.” I smile at her.

“Let’s go back to the office.” Jungkook said. I nod and we walk out of the hospital.

“Are those two dating again?” I ask Jungkook when we got to the entrance.

“Huh? What makes you say that?” I point to the scene before us. Taehyung’s back was to us and Hime was holding Tae’s head in the palm of her hands. Scenario? Definitely kissing.

“Taehyung!” Said man turns toward me and Jungkook with a bright smile plastered on his face. “We’re heading back to the office.”

“Cool.” He turns to speak to her. Jungkook joins them while I head to the car. They each gave her a kiss on the forehead before joining me in the car.

“We can go now.” They said to me. I nod and I drive off back to the office.

“So, what do we do?” Taehyung asks.

“I say, we interrogate the owner.”

“But hyung, can we really blame the owner if they’re not at fault?” Jungkook asks and Taehyung nods in agreement.

“They are at fault. We should charge them for neglect. They neglected to get the signs checked and now the provider in that household is in a coma. How is his family doing at this time? We don’t even know.” I let out a sigh. “I’m heading out. I’ll be back later.”

Hime POV

I walk out of the ICU annoyed. Stupid idiot. He should stop being so curious and just mind his own business.

“Hime!” Taehyung shouts after me. “Hime.” He grabs my hand stopping me in my tracks and pulls me around to face him. “Calm down.”

“He shouldn’t be here, Tae.”

“I know.” Taehyung said cupping my face.

“He should stop. He shouldn’t get involved. He can get himself killed and he wants to investigate more. He’s so-”

“That just means that you have to keep him safe right?” Taehyung cuts me off pressing his forehead against mine with his famous rectangular smile on his face. “Just like how you keep me and Jungkook safe.”

“Baby.” I relax at his words cupping his face in my hands.

“Keep him safe. You can do that, yeah? I know you can.”

“Yeah.” I whisper. “I can.”

“Taehyung!” Jungkook shouts catching our attention. “We’re heading back to the office.”

“Cool.” Taehyung replies and turns to me. “Remember, stay calm. Keep him safe. Keep him out of trouble.”

“He’s too curious, I can’t guarantee his safety.”

“We believe in you.” Jungkook said walking up to us. “You always kept us safe when we were young and curious, just like Namjoon hyung right now.”

“Yeah. You kept us alive.” Taehyung nods.

“If you kept Tae-hyung alive, you can keep Namjoon alive. He’s not as dumb as Tae.”

“Hey!” Taehyung shouts. “Rude.”

“Rude but true. We have to head back now.” Jungkook and Taehyung kisses my forehead.

“Don’t do that.” I growl and they laugh.

“Bye, love.” They wave at me.

“Bye baby Tae, baby maknae.” I wave back and they drive off.

Namjoon POV

What is this scene before me?

I left my office to visit the man who fell in a coma from getting hit with the electric sign and here before my very eyes is Hime holding a child around 7 months in her arms. Her eyes are filled with stars as she stares down at the child in her arms with a fond smile. I stumble a bit taken back by the scene hitting a nurse cart nearby creating a crash. She averts her attention to me.

“Um, hi.” I said awkwardly entering the room.

The wife stands up from her seat and greets me. “Hello. What are you doing here?”

“Please have a seat.” I said to her, which she did. “My name is Kim Namjoon. I’m the cop in charge of this case. I’m just here to see how everything is going. I mean, I know I just visited not too long ago, and-”

“It’s appreciated.” The wife cuts me off. “I appreciate people coming to visit my husband, just like Hime here.”

I nod. “Great.” I whisper. “Um, if there is anything that I can do to help, I will gladly do it. Just tell me. I fight for justice after all.” Hime scoffs. “What?”

“Nothing.” She shakes her head. “Just...you think you can really help?”

“Pardon?”

“Namjoon, I hate to break it to you, but her husband got hit by a sign. How are you going to help them find “justice”?” She looks at me with a raised brow.

“Are you challenging me?”

She let out a chuckle. “Why do you always think I’m challenging you? I’m just wondering how you’re gonna help them is all.”

“What about you? How are you going to help? Are you even going to help? Can you even help?”

“Mind your own business.” She said handing the child back to the wife. “Sorry for our rudeness. We’ll both be going now.” She look at me. “You. Come with me.”

“Huh? Why would I-” she grab me by the back of my collar and drag me off. “Hey! Let. Go. Choking.”

“Sorry.” She said letting go of me.

I rub my neck from the pain. “Are you crazy?”

“I might be.” She chuckle. “Hey, I found a way to help her.” She walks away from me and turns back. “Do you want to see or not?” I roll my eyes and follow her back to her office.

The moment we got to her office she sat down at her desk and touch her computer the whole time.

“Yah, how are you-”

“Here.” The turns her computer screen to me. I look at the screen and begin reading. She made a page telling the story along with photos and ask for money donations. I look back at her and she smiles. “I took photos before you arrived. With this, hopefully there will be people who are kind and sympathetic enough to help donate money for the wife and child.” She turns the computer back towards her and starts typing again. “Now, your turn.”

“Eh?”

“I just donated $10,000. You should donate too.”

“Do I look like I’m rich?”

“No, but it won’t kill you to donate a few hundred dollars.”

“You mean, my whole month salary?”

“You earn at least $4,500 per month. Donating $500 won’t kill you.”

“How do you know that?”

“Jungkook and Taehyung are my friends. Just donate, will you?” She let out a sigh. “Ah~ you said you wanted to help them, but it was just all talk, huh? Tsk. What a fake.”

I sigh and donate my whole month salary. “Happy?”

Her eyes widen. “Oh? Your whole month salary. Are you going to starve this month?”

“Maybe.” I said looking away from her. “Why do you care?”

********************************************

“Bad idea.” I mumble with my chin on my desk.

“What’s a bad idea?” Jungkook ask turning to me.

“Yesterday, I donated my whole month salary to the Shin family.”

“The Shin family?” Taehyung averts his eyes, gears turning in his brain.

“The victim who got hit with the electric sign and is in a coma.” Jungkook reminds him.

“Ah~ that guy. And his family. Why?”

“Yesterday, Hime made me donate my whole month salary.”

“She made you?” Jungkook raise his brow.

“Ok, she didn’t really make me, but she was mocking me so I donated my whole salary to prove a point.” I clear my throat at my own stupidity. “And now I have no money and I’m hungry. Save me.”

And as if on cue, Hime walks into our office. “Hey boys, I brought you food.”

Hime POV

“What’s up Hime?” Taehyung said over the phone.

“Baby Tae, is it almost your lunch time?” I ask staring at the menu in front of me.

“Yes it is.”

“Is there anything you want to eat?”

“Um, anything is fine?” Taehyung said.

“What about...um...him?”

“Jungkook? Hold on.” He said. “Jungkook-ah, what do you want for lunch?” I hear him yell. I chuckle. At least cover the phone. I shook my head.

“Are you buying?” I heard Jungkook ask Taehyung.

“Just answer me.”

“Then anything is fine.”

“Did you hear that?” Taehyung said to me.

“Mm. What about...the other one?”

“Namjoon? He’s not here.”

“Then what should I buy?”

“Hold on. Jungkook-ah, what do you think Namjoon hyung would want to eat for lunch?” I chuckle. This boy needs to learn to cover the phone when he’s talking to someone else.

“Anything’s fine.” Jungkook answers.

“Did you hear that?”

“Yeah. Thanks.” I hung up.

********************************************

“Wow! You actually got us lunch? What is this for?” Taehyung shouts excitedly grabbing a takeout box.

“What? I can’t buy food for my friends?” I ask. Jungkook eyes me suspiciously. “Here.” I hand Jungkook a box of takeout. He accept the food nonetheless. “Ah? There’s an extra.”

“How many did you buy?” Taehyung asks.

“I wanted three so I could eat with you guys but the owner gave me four.” I pout and look over at Namjoon. “I guess you can have it.” I hand him the takeout.

He stares at the box. “What is it?”

“Seafood stew with soft tofu.”

“No thanks. I don’t like seafood except for crabs. I’m going out. Seeing you guys eat is making my hunger worse. Enjoy your lunch.” He said and walks out the door.

“Why didn’t you guys tell me that he doesn’t like seafood!” I shout at Jungkook and Taehyung. “Idiots!” I ran out after Namjoon. He was already one block away. Damn him and his long legs. “Yah!” I ran up and cut in front of him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be eating with Taehyung and Jungkook?”

“I feel like eating BBQ instead. Go with me.”

“Huh?”

“I mean...I need company. It’s awkward for a girl to go eat BBQ alone. People will laugh at me, so you have to go with me.”

“Ask Taehyung or Jungkook. They would be thrilled to have BBQ for lunch.”

“They’re one block away. I’m not going back to get them. Just come with me!” I shout grabbing his hand and leading him to a BBQ restaurant. I push him inside and onto a seat. “Excuse me! Could I get two menus, please.” The waiter brought the menus over. “Order whatever you want.”

“You know that I don’t have money.”

“Could I get 1 set of bulgogi, 1 set of sam gyeob sal, and 2 sets of kalbi, please. Thank you.” I said to the waiter ignoring Namjoon and handing the menus back to the waiter.

“You’re going to eat all that?”

“Who says I’m going to eat all of it by myself? You’re gonna help me.”

“Huh?”

The waiter starts bringing our side dishes to the table. “Thank you.” Namjoon and I stare at each other in silence until he spoke up.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“How come you don’t like touching people? I mean, the only time I ever saw you touch people is when you’re wearing a glove. Like right now.” He points to my gloved hands. “Do you have mysophobia?”

“Here is your set of bulgogi, set of sam gyeob sal and two sets of kalbi.” The waiter hands us the plates of meat to put on our already full table.

“Thank you.” I said.

“You’re going to eat all that?” Namjoon asks watching me put four plates of meat on our table.

“Of course not. I said you’re going to help me.”

“Huh? I’m not-”

“Turn on the grill.”

“My friends do-”

“Turn on the grill.” I cut him off. He turn on the grill and the flames burst out making me jump back. “Uwaah~ Turn it down. TURN. IT. DOWN!” He turns the grill off completely.

Namjoon POV

When I turn off the grill, Hime stares at the grill in silence then she bursts out laughing while stomping her feet on the ground like a child.

“Haha...you...the flames...fwoosh.” She said between laughs while imitating the flames with her hands. “First time seeing something like that happen.”

“I was gonna tell you that my friends don’t like me touching anything. They said I should isolate myself to the outside for world peace.” I said and feel my cheeks blush from embarrassment.

“Cute! Too cute!” She shouts still laughing. Her laughing dies down and she clears . “Slip of the tongue. That wasn’t supposed to be said out loud.” It was her turn to blush.

“Eh?”

She clears . “I guess I will be manning the grill.” She lets out a chuckle with the shake of her head while turning on the grill. She starts grilling the meat.

“Feel free to eat.”

“I’m not going to eat. I already told you, I don’t have money.”

She didn’t say anything and continue to grill the meat. She grabs a piece of meat wrapping it in a lettuce. “Ah.” She said bringing the lettuce wrap to my face. Both our eyes widen at her actions. She press her lips together a blush forming on her cheeks. “Sorry.” She was gonna pull away but I held her hand and ate the lettuce wrap.

“You’re very weird, you know that.”

“How so?”

“I’ve known you for a week only and you’re suddenly feeding me lettuce wraps.”

Her cheeks darkens. “I usually do that to Taehyung and Jungkook. Sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I said and we continue to eat.

********************************************

“Thanks for the food. I’ll pay you back next month.” I told Hime when we exit the restaurant.

“Forget it. It’s my treat to thank you for donating to the Shin family.” She smiles. “And um...I want to apologize.”

“Huh?”

“I didn’t know that you don’t like seafood.”

“It’s fine. It’s not like you intentionally bought it for me.”

“Right.” She averts her eyes. “It’s cause Taehyung and Jungkook donated their whole monthly salary to the Shin family too.”

“I see.” I said with a nod. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“I want to know the answer to the question I asked you before we got interrupted in the restaurant. I asked you why you don’t like touching people and if you have mysophobia. Do you remember?”

“I remember.”

“Can I...get the answer to those questions?”

“Namjoon, some things are better left unknown.” She said with a smile. “I have to get back to work so, bye.” She waves and walks off.

********************************************

“Did you get to eat lunch?” Taehyung asks me when I enter our office.

“I had BBQ with Hime.”

“What? She took you out for BBQ?!” Taehyung pouts. “What about me?”

“Sorry. I understand that you’re mad cause you donated your whole monthly salary and all, you too Jungkook, but, maybe next time, huh?”

“What? Did she say that?” Jungkook asks confused.

“Huh?”

“Did Hime say that we donated our whole monthly salary?”

“She did. Why?”

“We didn’t.” Taehyung denies. “We only donated half our salary.”

“What?”

“Aish. No wonder she came in today with food. I thought it was weird.” Jungkook sighs.

“What are you trying to say?”

“Hime probably felt bad that you donated you monthly salary so she came here on purpose to feed you so you won’t die of hunger.” Jungkook explain to me. “But then she didn’t know that you don’t like seafood. The moment you walked out, she ran after you.”

“Are you serious?” I ask. She...intentionally bought the food for me? I break out in a smile and catch Taehyung and Jungkook staring at me. I clear my throat. “You’re friend is really that nice?”

“She is.” Taehyung nods. “When you first meet her, she’s a bit quiet and aloof and only like to mind her own business. But once you get to know her, she’s very kind and open minded and will help you when you need it. Hime will act like she doesn’t want to help, but in the end, she helps. She always does.”

“I bet you anything she will be back tomorrow pretending to have bought too much food to eat and ask you to eat with her. Again.” Jungkook states. “She reminds me of Yoongi hyung.”

“Speaking of Yoongi, I wonder how he’s been.” I said.

----------------------------------------------------

Excuse my mistakes. I’m a lazy . I hardly edit my stuff. ʅ(◞‿◟)ʃ

Jung Hoseok

•Camera man for Honey News

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sorry. Just playing. Here. Pretty Camera man Hoseok.