Chapter 3

Medium

Namjoon POV

‘Namjoon, do you know why she won't touch people? It's to protect them, so don't hate her so much.’

"How is that protecting them?!" I shout slamming my hand on the corner of my desk. "Ouch!" I shook my hand from the pain and looked at the corner of my desk. "Great. I broke it." I pick the broken piece off the ground and look up. Across from me, Hime was sitting at her own desk, her right side profile facing the window. She is working diligently and suddenly slam her utensil down annoyed as if someone is bothering her. She turn towards me and I hide behind my curtains. I slowly peek and raised my brow confused. What is she doing?

********************************************

"She was talking to thin air." I explain to Jungkook and Taehyung. "Then suddenly she grabbed the knife handle that has the weird designs on them, and waved it around, like she's threatening something. Are you listening?"

"Mm." They both nod clearly not surprised.

"Is your friend crazy?"

"Yah, she's not crazy." Jungkook defends Hime.

"Yeah. She's a really nice person." Taehyung adds.

"Sure." I said and continue to look at the files. "Yah. I have an IQ of 148. Why can't I solve this case?"

"Because it's beyond your expertise." Jungkook states.

"It's not like you can exorcise a ghost. You don't even believe in them." Taehyung said.

I sigh. “Ghosts are immaterial minds. They are non-physical properties of physical substances. Consciousness is a great example of non-physical properties of physical substances. Ghosts are nothing but a part of a person’s consciousness.”

“Seriously, I don’t understand. How can you be philosophical but not spiritual?” Jungkook ask with the roll of his eyes.

Suddenly one of our subordinate barge into our office.

"Are you ok?" Taehyung asks.

"She...the culprit...she..." he huffs.

"What's wrong with the culprit?" I ask.

"She's going crazy."

"Huh?" I said confused. "What do you mean?"

"She screaming at the top of her lungs about seeing the ghost of her dead husband."

"What?!" The three of us shout standing up from the news.

"She really said that?" Jungkook ask and our subordinate nods in confirmation. We all look at each other.

"I'm calling Hime." Taehyung said pulling out his phone and dialing.

"I'm calling Areum." Jungkook states walking away.

"She'll be coming." Taehyung and Jungkook said in sync after their call.

********************************************

"I don't want to be here either." Hime states when she catches me staring at her the moment she walks in. I look her up and down. She was carrying a duffle bag with who knows what is in there. She was wearing casual clothes: a grey tank top and black skinnies. She looks good. I shake my head at the thought. Just like Areum, she's wearing gloves. Thin leather gloves.

"Do you want to sit?" Jungkook and Taehyung both offer her their seats. Do they both like her or what?

"No thank you." She said leaning against Taehyung's desk. "So? When will Areum be here."

"She said after her rounds. Whatever that means." Jungkook shrugs.

"I see." She nods. "Move over." She shoos Jungkook off his seat which he complies to obediently. I thought she didn’t want to sit?

Without warning she grabs my hand and starts drawing on the inner side of my wrist with a black permanent marker.

"Yah-" I start but Jungkook taps my shoulder making me look at him. He shook his head no and I decide not to say anything to her.

"Done." She said looking up. Our faces were inches apart and we stare into each other's eyes in silence.

"Hatchoo" Taehyung's sneezes snaps her back to reality. She clears and pushes my arm away. I look at it. It's a weird design that looks like something from the ancient days.

"Uh, baby." She said in a mixture of shock and panic.

"Yes?" Jungkook and Taehyung bother answers her. Seriously, do they both like her?

"Uh, baby Tae. Here." She hands him some paper which looks like talisman. "Every corner in the station, do you understand?" He nods. "Do you really?" He adverts his eyes then looks back at her with a small smile and nods again. "Jungkook, go with him." She orders and he follows.

"You. Come with me." She said.

"Why should I?"

"Fine. Stay." She walks out of the office and towards the cells in the back. I follow her. The culprit was sitting with her knees to her chest, pressed into the corner of the wall. Hime stands in front of the culprit in the cell and turns to look at me. "Oh. Why are you here? Go back to your office."

"I didn't come here because you told me to. I'm only here to protect the culprit."

"She's in a-"

"You broke in two days ago." I cut her off.

"I won't kill her." She said turning to the culprit. "You. What's your name?"

"Hyejung."

"Hyejung-ssi. Can you explain to me what happened? Better yet, tell me, did you kill your husband?" She asks the culprit.

"Hey, you can't just come in and interrogate the culprit."

"There is one reason why people see ghosts—too much love or too much hate. Which one are you?" She asks ignoring me. The wife pressed her lips together refusing to talk and press herself more against the wall. "If I tell you that your husband is here for revenge, and you are next, since you're affair partner is dead and all, will you be more willing to talk to me?" The wife begins to get nervous and starts fidgeting.

I grab Hime by the arm. "Yah, you're scaring her!"

"If she really didn't kill her husband, she has no need to be afraid." She said pulling away from me. "What do you say, dear wife Hyejung-ssi?"

"I'm done!" Taehyung shouts entering the room.

"Areum is here." Jungkook said. Hime sighs and walks out the door.

"Hey." She greets Areum.

"Hey." Areum greets in return. "How is it?"

"Nothing. She has yet to talk."

"What did you say to her?"

"The usual. She was fidgeting. When we go back in, we'll get what we want."

"Hi girls." Superintendent Seo said.

"Capta-ah...Superintendent Seo. Hello." They both greet him.

"Superintendent. I can't get use to it." Areum states.

"Me too." Hime agrees.

“So, what do we have?”

"Nothing, but we'll get it soon." Hime said.

"Ok." Superintendent Seo nods and we all made our way to see the culprit in the back.

"Capatin Kim Namjoon!" Someone yells out. I turn around and one of our subordinates ran up to me. "We need your help." I look at Taehyung and Jungkook.

"Go ahead. We'll be ok here." Jungkook said. I nod and follow them out.

Jungkook POV

"So, how 'bout it. Will you tell me? Did you, or did you not kill your husband?" Hime asked the woman. The woman kept silent.

"Areum touch her." I said.

"No." Areum shakes her head. “Even if I see it, there's no proof to be used in court.”

"No need for Areum to touch her." Hime said. "You can't escape your sin, Hyejung-ssi, but you can escape your husband's ghost." The culprit sat up properly and looks at Hime.

"What do you mean?"

"I can help you get rid of your husband's ghost, but first, you have to tell me what happened." The culprit shrink back. "I'm not trying to make you confess. I really need to know how he died." She kept silent and Hime sighs. "It's fine. If I were you, I would choose the path of death too."

"Hime!" Areum shouts.

"What? I'm not lying. Her husband is here to kill her. Not just that, but he possessed her body to kill her affair partner with evidence leading to her. She can't escape."

"That's true." Taehyung said. "Even if she escapes her husband's ghost, she will still be branded a criminal."

"You are going to experience something people call 'hell on earth'." Hime states. "Do you want to experience hell on earth, or experience hell in...hell." Hime shrugs.

"Hime!" Areum shouts.

"What? She's either choosing to experience hell on earth or die and experience the real hell. She can't escape karma."

"I understand, but can't you say it in a nicer way?"

"Is there any nicer way to say what I said? She's getting punished either way."

"I can't believe you were chosen to be a medium by the gods." Areum said rubbing her face with her hands in frustration.

"You're a medium?" The wife asks.

Hime nods. "How else would I know that you were possessed? I even broke in two days ago to take your husband's ghost out of your body."

"Can you really get rid of my husband's ghost?"

Hime nods. "I do exorcisms all the time."

"Ok." The culprit said. "I'll tell you everything."

Namjoon POV

When I return to the station, everyone was back in our office.

"What happened?" I ask.

"The culprit told us everything." Taehyung said.

"What?"

"She confessed. They gave the husband sleeping pills. When the pills took effect, they used a syringe to pump him full of drugs."

"Why did she suddenly confess?"

"Hime said that she'll get rid of her husband's lingering ghost." Taehyung said.

"So she threatened-"

"She didn't threaten." Jungkook cut me off. "The culprit doesn't want her husband haunting her anymore so she decided to confess. That's all there is to it. Hime didn't do anything wrong."

I nod. "Ok. If you say so." I said and went to sit at my desk. I turn my computer on and start working on the report.

"Hey." I said catching Taehyung and Jungkook's attention. "I thought your friend doesn't like touching people. Earlier she touched me just fine."

"Because she was wearing gloves." Jungkook and Taehyung said nonchalantly.

"What? Did you think that she likes you or something?" Jungkook smirks.

"I didn't think that."

"Sure~" Taehyung chirps and I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"I don't want to talk to you guys anymore." I mumble. "I'm going out."

----------------------------------------------------

Short update. Yay~