Chapter 2

Medium

Namjoon POV

I am being dragged around by Jungkook and Taehyung. Why? I'm the hyung!

"Hey, where are we going?!" I ask.

"Calm down! We're here!" Taehyung shouts getting out of the car. I also got out and look at the building in front of me. It was very simple with a touch of extravagance. The building read: Sixth Sense Architect. I remember what Areum told Jungkook. 'Jungkook, just because I'm your older sister does not mean you should come to me immediately for help about ghosts. The one you should go to, is her.' I scoffed at the name of the building Sixth Sense.

"Is she going to exorcise the ghost?" I mumble and laugh at my own statement. Jungkook push me into the building. There was an older male and a young lady facing each other. The elder man had his hand outstretch in front of her for a handshake but she just stares at the hand silently. Rude. The elderly man retracts his hand with a small smile and bows to her. She bows in return. The male walks out passing by the three of us. The lady looks familiar.

"Hime~" Taehyung chirps catching her attention.

"Hey. I see you have brought company. Behind you." Jungkook and Taehyung immediately ran behind her and held onto her as if they want her to protect them.

"Where is it?" Jungkook asks.

"It's in here with us?!" Taehyung yells.

"Of course it is." She nods. "Right here." She said pointing at me. Jungkook and Taehyung sighs in relief.

"Don't scare me like that!" Taehyung shouts.

"Why do you always play us like that?" Jungkook mumbles while letting go of her.

She lets out a chuckle. "It's funny. Besides, you two held onto me, you two should've known better."

"Yeah yeah." They both shrug it off.

"Oh! Hime. This is our friend and fellow partner, Kim Namjoon. Namjoon, this is Kim Hime. She's also our friend." Taehyung introduce us to each other.

"Hello, I'm Kim Namjoon." I held out my hand. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I ran into you on the streets this morning." Just like what she did to the previous man, she stares at my hand silently.

"Nice to meet you. Thank you for helping me pick up my papers." She said and walks off to her desk leaving me hanging. "So, what brings you here?"

"You know why we're here." Jungkook said.

"How would I know? I'm not Areum." She state. She won't know because she's not Areum. What? I don't get it.

"There's one reason why we come to you. We need your help. Help us. Please?" Taehyung pleads.

"No. I won't do it." Do it? Do what? "I don't do that anymore." Don't do what anymore?

"Hime, we really need help." Jungkook said. "Please?"

"Even if you say that you don't do it anymore, I don't believe you. You're too nice to not help someone in need. Please help us and do it?" Taehyung said.

"Do it? Do what? I don't get it. What are you talking about?" I verbalized my thoughts.

"Exorcising the ghost." All three of them reply in sync.

"Hah?!" I scoff. "You've got to be kidding me. How long have you been friends that you're all playing along with each other like this?"

"Why is this even here?" Hime said, annoyance clear in her voice.

"Hey-"

"Sorry Namjoon hyung, can you...step out for a bit." Jungkook said pushing me towards the exit. I sigh and wait in the car.

Hime POV

"Forget about him." Jungkook said to me.

"What were you thinking bringing a nonbeliever here?" I shake my head.

"Are you helping or not?" Taehyung asks.

"No."

"Why not?" They both ask me.

"Don't tell me, it's because Namjoon hyung is a nonbeliever. Sure he thinks we're crazy but-"

"That's not it." I cut Jungkook off. "I don't mix personal problems with professional ones, ok? It’s just...I told you already. I don’t do that anymore.”

“I don’t believe you. Quit lying.” Jungkook said.

“I’m not.” I deny.

“I have to agree with Jungkook. You’re not cold hearted enough to not help when we need you.” Taehyung smile and wiggle his brows.

I let out a sigh. "Hey, Jungkook. Did Areum tell you who possessed her?"

"No." Jungkook shakes his head. "We got interrupted."

"I see." I said. "Well, you don't need to worry about it. I’ll take care of it. Ok?" I pat their back to reassure them. I walk them to the exit.

"Bye, Tae. Bye, maknae."

“Love you.”

“Love you too.”

We said our goodbyes and they walked off. I let out a sigh. Why am I getting myself into this mess again?

Namjoon POV

She walk Taehyung and Jungkook out to the door. They said their goodbyes and gave each other a hug.

"You're friend is very rude." I said the moment Jungkook and Taehyung sat in the car.

"Hime? She's very nice y'know." Taehyung assures me.

"She wouldn't shake my hand as a greeting." I said pulling out of the parking lot.

"Oh, because she doesn't like touching people and vice versa." Jungkook states.

"She was ok hugging you two."

"Well that's...different." Jungkook averts his eyes.

"How is it different?"

"She only touch people she wants to touch." Taehyung explains.

"Well, obviously."

"Specific people. She only touches specific people she knows." Jungkook adds.

"Whatever." I mumble.

*******************************************

I got home after a tiring day. We still do not know the cause of the husband's death and why the wife decided to stab her own affair partner. I sighed and walked towards my desk. I sat down and the laptop. From the balcony window I saw a light go on from the condo room across from mine. I glance at the person inside and rubbed my eyes. Is that...Hime? She lives across from me? A smile spread on my lips. I shook my head. She's pretty but rude. I focus myself back on the details of the case.

No POV

News reporters gathered around the entrance of the hospital.

As Jungkook, Taehyung and Namjoon showed up, they were bombarded with questions.

"How did the husband die?" "Did the boyfriend kill him?" "Why did the wife kill her own boyfriend?"

"Excuse us. Excuse us. Excuse us." The officers said pushing their way into the hospital.

"Reporters are so aggressive." Taehyung said fixing his clothes in place.

"Seriously." Namjoon agrees. They walk down to Areum's office. Jungkook knocks and opens the door.

"Honestly noona, won't you tell me the de- Hime. What are you doing here?"

The said female, sitting on the counter, turns to look at the three officers. "Oh, Areum is my friend. I'm here to visit. I didn't know visiting friends at their workplace is a crime."

"Its not a crime." Jungkook said. "I just want to know why you're here. What's wrong with that?" He turned to look at Areum. "Can we talk about the details of the autopsy now? The first time, we got interrupted and yesterday you didn't come home cause you had to do a 12 hour surgery."

Hime and Aruem looked at each other.

"You two are hiding something." Jungkook comments. "I find Hime being here a bit suspicious. After all, you hardly visit Areum."

"Yah." Hime jumps down from the counter. "Baby, you make me sound like a bad friend."

"You're not here to visit. You're here for something else aren't you? What are you here for?"

"Yah, I'm not a suspect. Why are you interrogating me?"

"Why are you being defensive?"

"I'm not being defensive and why did you bring your friend along." Hime said looking at Namjoon. "I don't want to talk with him around."

"Hey, I don't want to be here either, but I'm a cop. I'm here for the case, not to hang around and visit like you." Namjoon state.

"Ok, let's begin then." Taehyung said. "Why did the culprit, the wife, stab the victim, her own affair partner?"

“You already know. She wasn’t herself.” Hime starts.

“The one who possessed her was-”

Namjoon scoffed cutting Areum off. "We're still going on with this 'possessed' theory? It can’t be scientifically proven!"

Hime let out a sigh. "This is why I don't want him here." Hime said. "Fine. She wasn't possessed. She went crazy from having to bear the guilt of cheating on her husband, which was triggered by the husband's death, so she decided to stab the affair partner. A logical explanation. Are you happy? Now, bring the culprit here."

“Bring her here? Why?” Namjoon asked.

“Oh, to test her brain to see if she really went crazy.”

"Are you...challenging me right now?" Namjoon asked.

“Hardly. Just helping you gather data for your scientific explanation.”

"So, bring the culprit here?" Taehyung said.

"No. We don't have to listen to her." Namjoon stated.

"Well, you want scientific proof, so of course you'll have to bring her here." Hime argues.

"You're really challenging me?"

"Not challenging." Hime said. “Again. Helping you in gathering scientific data.”

"You-"

"Stop arguing." Areum spoke out. "Look, Namjoon-ssi, if you don't believe us, then you should work by yourself to find the answer to your unsolved questions, ok?" Areum turns to Hime. "And you...stop going against Namjoon like that. Stop being stubborn and just touch him already.”

Namjoon POV

"No. I won't touch him. I will never touch him. Ever." Hime states.

"Yah, I'm not a disease. Touching me won't kill you. You don't need to hate me that much." I said.

"I'll be going now Areum. I'll solve the problem soon." Hime ignores me and walks out of the room.

"Well, I have to go to work now." Areum said. "Feel free to hang out here if you like."

"Can that girl be any more rude?" I huff.

"My sister?"

"No, the other one."

"Hime is very nice." Taehyung said. "Usually."

"C'mon. Don't mind her. She has her own reasons." Jungkook said.

"What kind of reasons?"

"Even if we tell you, you won't believe us." Taehyung said.

"Try me."

"No." they both shook her head. "Maybe next time."

"Lets go look at the dead bodies." Taehyung suggested and we walked out.

********************************************

"What's the cause?" I ask Seokjin while observing the body.

"Like what I told Jungkook this morning. Drug overdose. No physical wound. No sign of struggle. Clean criminal record." Seokjin states.

I look at Jungkook and Taehyung with a raised brow. They both shrug in response.

I sigh. “So what? Are you saying that it's a suicide?”

"I wouldn't consider it suicide." Seokjin said. "I mean, he has no problems. He was doing fine with his wife, before the whole affair thing anyways. He has a stable job. No debts. No bad guys chasing after him. Nothing. No reason to suicide."

"And he's dead." Taehyung mumbles. "."

"What about the other dude? The dude that she had an affair with."

"Ah, him? You'll have to talk to Areum. She was the one who did the autopsy."

"From what I know," Jungkook starts, "it was just a stab wound. 3 1/2 inches deep. Obviously died from blood loss. Nothing more nothing less."

No POV

From the many reporters who gathered in the front entrance of the hospital, one female managed to enter.

"Excuse me." She said to one of the fellow officers. "Um, hello."

"Oh! Aren't you the famous reporter Song Sarang from Honey News?"

"Yes, I am." The female nodded.

"What can I do for you?" The officer asked.

"I want some details about the case. Why did the female stab the man? According to the neighbors, they were having an affair."

"Uh, I'm just a lowly positioned officer. The one who would know those details are the three captains."

"Can I interview the captains?"

"Let me go ask him." The officer said and ran off to the morgue.

"Thank goodness. You came out at the right time, captain Jeon. Someone wants to interview you."

"Interview? Go tell them I don't want to."

********************************************

"He said no? Tell him people wants to know the answer to this case." The female reporter said.

********************************************

"Tell them that I won't change my mind."

********************************************

"Hey, this is news for the people and he isn't willing to cooperate? He's a police officer. Isn't he working to protect the people? Why can't he tell us the truth?"

********************************************

"Why are they so stubborn?!"

"Who's the stubborn one?" Sarang said. Jungkook turned around and they both came face to face with each other.

"Jeon Jungkook/Song Sarang." They both said in sync taken aback by each other's appearance.

"Don't tell me that you're not giving me an interview because of what happened?"

Jungkook scoffs. "I don't mix private matters with work. My higher ups are telling me not to tell. Do you know the meaning of confidentiality?"

"Oh, Jungkook. What a- hello." Namjoon said noticing Sarang. She bows to him. "Do you need something?"

"Ah, I'm Song Sarang, a reporter from Honey News."

"I know." Namjoon states. "My friend is the CEO of that news station. I want to know why you're here."

"Oh! It's Sarang!" Taehyung shouts the moment he steps out of the morgue.

"Hey, Taehyung."

"Taehyung, you know her?" Namjoon asks.

"Of course. She's Koo-"

"Lets go." Jungkook cut Taehyung off. "We still have work to do." He walk off.

"Right. We'll see you later. Bye~" Taehyung waves at Sarang.

"Bye." Namjoon said and follows suit.

Namjoon POV

"Are you ok?" Taehyung asks Jungkook.

"Mm." He nods.

"Ok about what?" I question.

"Sarang."

"Huh?" I said confused.

"It's nothing." Jungkook brushes off the topic. "Anyways, we need to rely on Hime for this case."

"Why?"

"Because this is beyond our expertise." Taehyung replies.

"Right." I said and we went back to the office.

********************************************

After a long day of work, I sat down at my desk and look out the window. Hime's light isn't on. I shook my head. Why am I looking if she's home or not? I intend to look for the files to the case. "It's not here." I mumbled. "Ugh. I might've left it at the office." I got up and went back to the police station. When I got to the station, it was pretty empty and some of the officers were nodding off. I chuckle and slam the table. "Yah!" The officers jump.

"Capatin Namjoon!" They stand up and salute me.

I shake my head. "Sleeping during work hours. If a killer came in, you'll all be dead by now."

"Sorry." They bow in apology.

"It's fine."

"What are you doing here?"

"I came back for a file. Get to work." They nod and sit back down. I head to my office, which I share with Taehyung and Jungkook, in the back and grab my files. It was quiet until I heard a sound coming from the cell, which is even further back compared to our office. I pulled out my gun and slowly made my way to the cells.

"Freeze!" I shout staring at the scene before me. Hime was holding the culprit by her collar with her hand in the air. She was holding something in her fisted hand. "What's that in your hand?"

"Nothing." She said still holding on to the culprit. She let out a small gasp and let the fainted culprit down as fast and carefully as possible. "Wait!" She calls out trying to run out of the cell.

"Hey." I reach out to her but she pulls away dropping whatever she was holding. We both reach for it and when she realize our hands were going to touch, she pull away immediately. I pick up the item and observe it. It was a wooden knife handle with weird unknown symbols on it. I look up at her.

"What?" She said.

"You're trying to kill the culprit with this?" I asked.

"I'm not. It's just a handle, how can I kill her?"

"That's what I want to know. Out. We need to talk." I said reaching for her.

"Don't touch me." She order flinching away from my hand. "I'll go out myself. Where to?"

"My office." I said. We got out of the cell and I lock it behind me. She follows me to my office.

"Can I have that back?" She asks.

"No. Not until you tell me what you were doing?"

"You won't believe me."

"Do you want to go to jail?"

"Exorcising her."

I let out a sigh. "Ok. Because it's late, and I'm tired, and the culprit is alive, I'm letting you go home."

"Can I have my knife back?" I hold it out to her in my palm. She pick it up with her thumb and index finger trying not to touch me. I roll my eyes at her action. We walk out of the station.

"It's dark. Do you want me to walk you home?" I offer.

"No need." She said walking away. She stop and walk back towards me.

"Yah, do you want me to walk you home?" She ask.

"Excuse me?" I said. "I'm a male, and an officer. I don't need you to walk me home."

"-op -ing -m -ng -sed." She mumble something I couldn't quite catch.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing." She said and walk away.

[Next Morning]

We told the details of the case to our superior, the superintendent.

"It's a suicide. Case closed."

"It's not a suicide." I said.

"Then? What is it?"

"She was,"

"Taehyung, no."

"Possessed." Taehyung finish. I pinch the bridge of my nose. Embarrassing.

"Possessed." The superintendent laughs. "Good one. Possessed."

"Hime agreed." Jungkook said and averts his eyes.

The superintendent stops laughing. "You were serious?"

"Mm." Taehyung and Jungkook nod their heads. "Hime serious."

"Lets go see her then." The Superintendent said.

"Ok." Taehyung and Jungkook agrees.

“Hold on!” I shout. “Superintendent Seo. You believe them?”

"No. I don't believe them." I sigh in relief. Good. "I believe in Hime."

"What?!"

"Lets go." Superintendent Seo said and walk out the door with Taehyung and Jungkook following suit.

"You got to be kidding me." I mumble and follow them out.

********************************************

"Hime!" Superintendent Seo shouts. The said woman looks up at us and she breaks into a smile.

"Captain Seo!" She yells standing up and walks over to us.

Taehyung pulls her away. "Tsk. Tsk. Tsk." Taehyung wags his index finger. "Not Captain Seo anymore. Superintendent Seo."

"Really?!" Hime turn to look at the Superintendent. "Congratulations."

"It's been awhile since I last saw you. The last time was...your high school graduation."

"Yes. It's been awhile."

"Look at you, all grown up and beautifully too."

Hime chuckles. "What brings you here?"

"Was she really possessed?" Superintendent Seo cuts to the chase immediately.

I scoff. “Possessed." Hime turns to look at me.

"Namjoon. Out."

"But-"

"Out." Superintendent Seo cut me off. I huff out a sigh and left the building.

Taehyung POV

"Sorry about that." Superintendent Seo apologize.

"It's fine. Don't worry. We can't force him to believe."

"Areum noona is right. Stop being stubborn and just touch him." Jungkook suggested.

"No. It's to protect him after all." Hime said.

"What about the ghost? Are you going to exorcise it?" I ask.

"That's unnecessary. The ghost isn't possessing her anymore." Hime said and looked at the door. "Yesterday I went to the exorcise the ghost and Namjoon caught me. The ghost escaped. I don't know where he is at the moment, but..."

"But..." we repeat after her.

"The ghost that possessed her was her husband."

"What?" We all shout out in shock.

"Seriously?" Jungkook asks for confirmation.

"Why would I lie to you?" Hime let out a sigh. "If I find him, I'll exorcise him immediately. Don't worry about it. You guys need to worry about what to tell the reporters."

Namjoon POV

Superintendent Seo along with Taehyung and Jungkook finally came out.

"Namjoon, come with me." Superintendent Seo states when we got back to the station. I follow him down the corridor. "Don't worry about the ghost. Hime will take care of it."

"Not to be rude but, why do you believe this whole 'possessed' idea? I mean, I understand Taehyung, but you and Jungkook too?"

Superintendent Seo stops in his tracks and turn towards me.

"I first met Hime when I was still a captain. She was in her second year of junior high." Superintendent Seo chuckle and heads towards his office. "At first I didn't believe her either. I thought she was just a girl pulling pranks until..." he trails off.

"Until?" I repeat.

"I, myself, got possessed." He said sitting down in his chair.

"Huh?" I blink multiple times. "Pardon?"

"You heard me correctly. I got possessed and Hime helped me." Superintendent Seo smiled a little lost in his memories. "Namjoon, do you know why she won't touch people?" I shake my head. "It's to protect them, so don't hate her so much. Now! You should come up with an answer for the reporters, since you're the smart one and all."

"You gotta be kidding me." I said.

"Nope. Not kidding you. Get to work. Chop chop." He shoo me out of his office.

I sigh and made my way to my office.

--------------------------------------------------

Kim Hime (OC)

•Architect

Song Sarang (OC)

•Reporter for Honey News

 

Superintendent Seo (OC)