Chapter 2

Lacuna
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

- TWO -

 

 

“My baby daughter.” Her dad exclaimed as he rose from his seat and took Jisoo to his embrace.

Jisoo gave him a tight hug after weeks living far from home. She then greeted the doctor with a bow and revelation of calling him ‘the doctor from before’.

“This doctor had performed a heroic action saving a woman’s life on the plane.” She told her dad who seemed oblivious of the latest reveal. Apparently, the doctor kept the scene to himself and he just smiled along the way while Jisoo claimed the testimony upon his impressive skill.

“What’s the occasion, Dad?” Jisoo asked as she sat next to her dad and started to take food for her own to devour. Even though she had had a session of full meal on board just two hours ago, it didn’t stop her to take everything in front of her on the table. At normal situation, if the doctor was a stranger, and being the shy person, she was, she would hold herself and be more behaved. But since there was a feeling of familiarity from their meeting earlier, Jisoo felt more relaxed and allowed herself to be the way she was.

Seorae was a legitimate restaurant for the authentic taste of Korean cuisine for almost eighty years since it was first established. The place was her parents’ favorite to spend the time for their family bonding, even after her mom’s death they still would come to have lunch or dinner just to cherish the memory of their beloved decease. Sometimes their other family and relatives would join them to celebrate some special days. His dad was one kind of an honor guest there that the owner—an old couple who always dressed in Hanbok—themselves made the time to greet them when they were around. She loved all the food in the menu, it just tasted like her mom’s cook. It probably why she had special liking to this place because it’s in somewhat way reminded her of her mom and ceased the yearning for her presence.

“This doctor here is Yoo Yeonseok.” Her dad finally introduced the doctor—Jisoo nodded her head in courtesy for the second time without looking at his eyes, “He passed his general board from the Massachusetts General last year, and came back home today to serve for his country. In which as the same day, you’re also home. Do you remember Yeonseok?”

While Jisoo tried to digest the information her dad had shared—she heard that Massachusetts General hospital had been named as the top hospital in the US, so she however could relate how his immaculate dexterity was trained from—she shook her head in oblivion upon her dad’s question. Even though Yeonseok’s face was indeed seemed familiar to some extent, she failed to identify the memory of him in her mind.

“Remember when I took you and your mom to a summer holiday in Jeju back when you were six? You stayed on the Yoo’s residence by the south sea. You even told me that was the best holiday you’ve ever had.”

Gradually the memory of her childhood holiday started to play in her head as she heard her dad mentioned it. She remembered that one holiday because even her dad said it was supposed to be a family holiday, the fact was he was never there to spend a single day with them. He was in some kind of an international medical conference, and rather than to let her and her mom spending the day surround the hotel, he let them stayed at his friend’s family’s luxury villa for almost a week.

A little piece of recollection on a particular teenager boy being a great accompany during her stay sp many years ago came to her attention. She didn’t quite remember his name, only scratch of memory fragments where she called him by the name ‘Yeon oppa’. Jisoo put a smile when she finally recalled his presence.

“Ah, yes, I do remember now. It’s Yeon oppa, isn’t it?”

There’s a beam of satisfaction on his face, and he softly nodded. “It’s Yeon oppa.” He repeated.

“So if you two were on the same flight, why didn’t you give my daughter a lift? I thought you recognize her.”

She heard her dad questioned him again. A little curiosity did Jisoo have to be involved in the two men’s conversation, even though she was a little bit extracted by the fact that Yeonseok did recognize her before but didn’t say anything. She remembered their short communication just before the plane landed was how he praised her for being so calm in such tense situation, which she had no idea how to respond that. Because truthfully, she was nervous and panic inside, it’s just that because she thought she was quite organized to sort her feelings so she was able to hold it to herself. Why didn’t he tell her if he knew her anyway?

“I didn’t have the chance to introduce myself after all the mess, Doctor. When I was about to offer a ride, Jisoo was a little bit occupied. I think it’s rude to interrupt, so….”

His pair of eyes met hers when he pursed his lips after the last sentence. Jisoo jumped out of her skin when she realized that Yeonseok might bearound when she was with Sehun. She dropped her head as the embarrassment struck her, how could h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter