Smiles and Comfort

Not for Long

The three arrived and Jun went to put his things away. Mino also greeted his parents and told them they had a guest. Mino’s mom hurried and realized its Jun’s homeroom teacher. She immediately took the menu out and asked her what she would like. As soon as she ordered, Mino told Chaeyoung that he would leave her to get things done and help prepare her food so it would be done faster but Chaeyoung insisted that he didn’t have to rush, “It’s okay I can wait. Good things take time so does good food!”

 

“Right! The woman knows it well. Sit down and accompany her, you’ve been so busy since Hanbin is gone. You must be hungry. Mom will make your favourite okay?” Mino’s mom suggested.

 

Mino knew he was in trouble. He knew how awkward of a person he is and that he may not be able to keep her company or even start out a topic. He sat there smiling like a fool. She smiled back, check her phone and put it away.  She started the conversation by asking him questions, “Mino-ssi, weren’t you a famous artist?”

 

“Ah, yes. I was.” Mino uncomfortably answered.

 

Chaeyoung felt that Mino did not want to talk about it but continued to ask about him, “How are you these days? How do you like living in a small town like this?”

 

“It has been really peaceful. Not many knows me and our business is alright. We sell many. I haven’t had a normal life for like 10 years.” Mino replied.

 

“That is so crazy. I’m glad you like it. I won’t ask anymore sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable.”

 

Mino felt strangely relaxed when he looks at her smile. Mino whispered to himself, “What’s this?”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes opened and asked, “Is there anything wrong?”

 

Mino shook his head and told her it was nothing. He started opening up without realizing it. He told her how he became a trainee and the years it took him to achieve his rank and how he had to be careful about every action and word. Mino told, “You know if I had the chance to go back and change, I would’ve just studied and lived here but I wouldn’t be able to live a good life. I would still be working hard, extra hard to keep our business on its feet but since I saved up, I was able to provide my parents the things that they needed. I was able to put up this business with almost no problem.”

 

Chaeyoung felt happy that he opened up to her without her asking. The moment she smiled, Mino smiled back and let out a laugh then apologized for talking too much, “I’m so sorry if I talked too much, I haven’t told anyone but my sister. I think you two would get along well.”

 

Jun walked over their table and sat down beside his uncle. “He’s right.”

 

Mino put his hand on Jun’s head and started messing his hair up. Jun explained, “Oe-samchon, halmoni told me to join you because the food is almost done.”

 

“Ah, that’s okay.” Chaeyoung answered.

 

Mino sighed. Man, it was her turn to talk I would get to know her too but this kid.

 

“Jun-ah, how is your mom? Have you talked to her yet?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Yes, she called grandpa when I got home. She is okay and is coming back soon.”

 

“You must really miss your mom. Me too.” Chaeyoung answered.

 

Mino took the opportunity to ask about her, “Why is your mom not here?”

 

“My mom, she is in Australia. She runs a business there. I was from there too but I got the opportunity to teach in Korea and I really like it here. I grew up there and just came back recently. I think it’s been 4 years since I came back. My brother is in Seoul, training to be an artist like you.” Chaeyoung told her.

 

“That’s why you were curious about me. Sorry about earlier. “ Mino answered’

 

The food arrived and Chaeyoung smiled as if there’s no tomorrow. She squealed and thanked Mino’s mom for the food, “Thank you so much! I feel like I’m at home whenever I eat here. I will eat well. Thank you for always treating me and giving me free food.”

 

“Anytime, eat up and let me know if you want more, okay?”

 

“You’re always welcome here. If you’re not feeling okay or don’t want to go outside, call in. I will deliver it for you anytime.”

 

“Sem… my uncle. He doesn’t have a wife.” Jun blurted.

 

            Both Mino and Chaeyoung were shocked with what Jun said. Mino scratched his head and apologized, “I’m sorry for what Jun said. He doesn’t know anything yet.”

 

            Jun took a sip of his water and replied, “I know because appa told me. He said you cannot get married. It is a rule.”

 

            “Ah, he meant that I cannot see someone because I was a celebrity. Aigoo, Hanbin-ah…”

 

            Chaeyoung looked so confused about what was happening. Mino then told Chaeyoung, “When your brother becomes famous, he cannot date freely. He won’t be able to live a normal life. It takes a lot of work to get the public’s attention. Tell him we would love another driver if he decides to quit.”

 

            Chaeyoung smiled at Mino’s advice and jokingly said, “As long as you pay him really well!”

 

            “Sem, if my uncle is allowed to get married, can you marry him?” Jun exclaimed.

 

            Mino’s mom overheard what Jun said so she came and took him away. Mino was left alone with Chaeyoung once again. “Are you feeling uncomfortable?” Mino asked.

 

            “No, not at all. I’m enjoying it since I usually just eat on my own. It’s a little sad.” Chaeyoung answered.

 

            The two finished up eating and Mino offered to take Chaeyoung home. Chaeyoung took the offer and the two left. Mino opened and closed the door for her. When they got to her place, Chaeyoung thanked Mino, “Thank you again for today. I felt like I made a new friend in this small town. Next time will be my treat!”

 

Mino grinned, “It’s nothing, come by anytime I’ll accompany you.”

 

Chaeyoung bowed, “Have a safe trip home.”

 

He gestured her to get in and he waited. Chaeyoung turned around and hurried in. The moment she turned around Mino was confused. It’s as if he has seen her before. He didn’t want to jump to conclusions and drove his way back home. As Mino was driving home, he played Winner’s ‘Really Really’. He was in a really good mood. While Chaeyoung couldn’t stop smiling till she fell asleep. The two of them got along so well it felt like a dream.