Surprise!

Not for Long

The next morning Mino made sure he woke up early and dropped his nephew at school. He was on a very good mood. He couldn’t stop smiling on his way there. Minjun was dumbfounded, “Uncle I thought you hate waking up early. Now you’re smiling. You’re weird.”

 

“Uncle is not weird. I think uncle is-”Mino stopped. Chaeyoung was standing in front of them and Minjun asked, “You are what?”

 

“I am.. uh, uhm. I’m happy your mom is pregnant. More family.” Mino scratched the back of his head and laughed.

 

“Good morning!” Chaeyoung greeted Minjun and Mino. Minjun ran and hugged her.

 

“Me too. I wish.” Mino whispered.

 

“Yes?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Oh nothing, I was thinking if you wanted to have dinner at our place later. Jennie must be bored.” Mino asked.

 

“But she didn’t message me?” Chaeyoung was confused.

 

“She’s probably just shy because you might be busy.”

 

“Oh, don’t worry I’ll drop by and visit her.”

 

“How about Min Jun and I wait for you so you can go with us?”

 

“If you’re not so busy sir.”

 

“For you I’m not.”

 

“Alright, I’ll see you later. The other kids are coming. Minjun must be lonely there. Drive safe.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

Mino left and slept in. He took a day off and asked Hanbin to go on his own today. Jennie on the other hand stayed home.

End of the day, Minjun gets picked up by Mino. In the car Jun asked why they were not leaving yet. Mino said that they have to wait for someone.

 

“We’ve been here forever. I want to go home I’m hungry.” Jun yelled.

 

“Alright how about we buy snacks and go back here. There’s still about 20 minutes left.” Mino suggested.

 

They drove to the nearest convenience store. Mino bought Jun a sandwich and while he’s paying he receives a call from Jennie.

 

“Where have you been? It’s been almost half an hour and we don’t even live far from the school!” Jennie exclaimed.

 

“Chaeyoung is coming over I said you’re bored.” Mino replied.

 

“Yah!” Jennie yelled.

 

“Sorry. Don’t get mad. You’re sensitive remember. We’re going soon.” Mino hangs up and pays.

 

The two left to go back to the school. They picked up Chaeyoung and drove home.

 

The table was set up for dinner and Jennie took out an extra dish for Chaeyoung. Now she has to play along so that her brother can see and make his move. They welcomed her and as they were eating Minjun looked up to see Mino and Chaeyoung sitting beside each other like his parents so he asked, “Are you also married now?”

 

Chaeyoung’s face turned red. Mino was flustered and apologized to Chaeyoung.

 

“Jun, don’t ask questions like that. Uncle will be alone forever.” Hanbin whispered.

 

“I don’t think so!” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“Aigoo, are you dating?” Mino’s dad asked.

 

“No not yet.” Jennie answered.

 

“Unnie…” Chaeyoung shyly smiled.

 

The dinner was louder and much happier with Chaeyoung around. Chaeyoung loved going to their house because she’s been alone for three years. After dinner, Mino asked her of she’d love to go for ice cream for a while. He bought ice creams and walked along the sidewalk. He wanted to be honest and not waste time. While walking he asked her, “Here’s the thing. I don’t want to drag this out and regret it.”

“What is?” she asked.

 

“I have no experience or whatsoever so this is my first in so long. If high school doesn’t count.”

 

“Go on, I’m listening.”

 

“I like you. A lot. I really do. I know it’s too fast since we’ve only really just met. It’s weird. I do not know. The feeling, I can’t explain.”

 

“When I was young my parents told me the moment my dad knew mom was the one he couldn’t sleep and when she said yes to him he couldn’t explain it. You don’t have to know as long as its genuine and it makes you happy. Like you do.”

 

“Wait can you repeat that?” Mino asked

 

“I said I’m happy right now. At this moment.”

 

“Cause I’m here?”

 

Chaeyoung didn’t answer but she nodded and smiled. He looked at Chaeyoung and smiled back. At that moment, her phone rings, it’s her mom calling all the way from Melbourne. “Excuse me.” Chaeyoung walked away for a bit.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah. A letter came in. It’s what you’ve been waiting for.”

 

“Thanks mom. I think I’ll call you back later.”

 

Chaeyoung took a deep sigh and felt sad all of a sudden. Mino saw her shoulder dropped so he ran to her and asked if she was alright.

 

“It’s nothing. I just missed my mom.” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“Maybe you should go home and talk to her. I’ll drop you off now.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

It was a weirdly silent walk to the car. Mino asked her if she’d like to hear a song.

 

“I think I’m good.” She replied.

 

“Oh, okay.” Mino started feeling that there is something wrong.

 

“Hey, can I ask you something?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“Have you ever thought of going back?”

 

“Where?”

 

“Industry. You loved what you were doing right?”

 

“I do. I still do. I miss it. Given a chance why not.”

 

“What about now? How do you feel?”

 

“Feel about what? You?”

 

Chaeyoung hesitated to answer. “If you feel that you started something you like to do but you’re given another chance to do what you’ve always wanted. Would you stay and keep on doing that or just pursue the bigger picture?”

 

“That’s hard. I have never thought of that. I’ve been an idol at a young age and never got to experience these. I felt like I would die old and alone in a studio. I was never content with what I had. I was thirsty for more. I went for the bigger picture but then again it’s just me.”

 

“You really never know.” Chaeyoung answered.

 

The two arrived at Chaeyoung’s place. The light was already on and she was scared. “I didn’t leave the light on.”

 

“I’ll walk you in.” Mino suggested.

 

The moment they approached the door a man yelled, “Mate!”