Uncle Duties and Its Perks

Not for Long

The very next day Hanbin and Jennie left for Seoul. She threw up a couple times on stops Jennie would throw up and feel very dizzy so as soon as they got to Seoul, they went straight to the hospital. Her parents were very worried and since they didn’t expect Jennie to be hospitalized, their stay was extended so Mino had to take care of Minjun for the weekend as well and that would mean taking Minjun out to keep him busy and not nag about his parents.

 

            Wednesday: 1st day of “instant-daddy” duties

            Mino woke up early and and prepared Jun’s clothes and backpack. He did as Jennie asked. He woke Jun up and dropped him off at school sleepy.  He went to the bus stop right away and waited but unfortunately, she wasn’t there.

 

            Thursday: 2nd day of “instant-daddy” duties

            Same routine, drop off and pick up. But again, no sight of her was seen.

           

            Friday: 3rd day of “instant-daddy” duties

            Same routine but feeling less hopeful. He put on a smile as he drops Jun off to give Jun’s learning log. Jun held his hand and walked him to his classroom to meet his teacher.

 

            Mino, with no expectation walked in and froze. In front of him was Chaeyoung. His eyes looked up to the ceiling and smiled. He looked in front again and pressed his lips while trying ont to smile too much. He waited with Jun for Chaeyoung to approach them. Minutes later she started walking towards Jun and Mino. He froze and stared. Chaeyoung greeted him but he didn’t even notice. He was really out of it. Jun squeezed Mino’s hand and greeted her back. Chaeyoung found it funny and giggled as she re-introduced herself, “Hi! Are you Minjun’s uncle?”

 

            “Y-ye-ye..es. I’m Mino. It’s nice to meet you.” Mino stuttered.

           

            “What’s this? Hahaha why are you stuttering oesamcheon?” Jun teased his uncle.

 

            “No! I was just nervous. You might be a bad kid! Giving your mom a hard time that’s why she’s in the hospital.” Mino blurted out as he handed over Jun’s progress book.

 

            “oesamcheon…” Jun starts to cry.

 

            Quick-witted Chaeyoung hugged Jun and comforted him, “No, it’s not your fault.”

 

            Mino was flustered as ever as he realised how big of a mistake he’s done. Not only did he hurt Jun’s feelings but also made a bad impression of himself. “Aniya, Jun-ah your mom is in the hospital to get checked up. You want a younger sibling, am I right?”

 

            Jun nodded. Chaeyoung continues to hug Jun. Mino bent down and smiled at Jun, “That’s why don’t cry. They will be back soon.”

 

            Chaeyoung smiled at Jun and Mino as Mino wipes his nephew’s tears. Jun laughed and teased both of them, “Right now you guys look like my mom and dad. Dad cannot make me cry. He will be in trouble with mom.”

 

            Mino nervously smiled at Chaeyoung and told Jun to join his classmates. They both stood up and Mino apologized for Jun’s behaviour, “I’m sorry. He probably just miss his parents so much.”

 

            Chaeyoung answered with a bright smile, “It’s alright. I understand kids especially his age. Well, I thank you for coming early and giving me his progress report. I will be giving it back to them on Monday with feedbacks written.”

 

            “Ahh, thank you so much! Please take care of Jun.” Mino said his goodbye and left without seeing her turn around.

 

            Mino walked back to his car and connect his phone as he plays ‘Loser’ by BIGBANG. “Why am I such a loser. It was my chance.” He sang along until ‘Loser’ transitions to Bae Bae. I wonder though who the girl on the bus stop is. Am I not loyal? Am I not faithful. No… we’re not seeing each other so I’m not really cheating.

 

Chaeyoung recognized Mino. She knew he was a famous rapper and her brother really likes him.

 

Since it was Friday, there were many orders and deliveries Mino had to take care of. Time flies and its already 3 pm and Minjun had to be picked up by 3:05 he knew he wouldn’t make it on time nor his parents since they can’t leave the restaurant so he left as soon as he can. Minjun was bored and all the kids left. Chaeyoung couldn’t leave because she felt bad for Minjun so she accompanied him till Mino gets there. Mino had to go home to return their truck and left with his car. He arrived 30 minutes late. He felt really sorry that Chaeyoung had to go overtime because he was late. Mino ran to the school as soon as he parked the car while catching his breath he apologised, “I’m so – sorry I was late there were many deliveries and I did not see the time.”

 

“Deliveries?” Chaeyoung was confused since all she knew was he was a famous rapper.

 

“Ah- yes, my family moved here and he lives with us now.” Jun answered.

 

“Hold on.” Chaeyoung ran to get a cup of water and gave it to Mino.

 

“Thanks! Really needed it.” Mino gulped.

 

“Sem, are you hungry?” Jun asked.

 

An idea popped into Mino’s head, alright Jun thanks I got this. Mino wanted to ask Chaeyoung to eat at their restaurant, “Chaeyoung-ssi, since you took care of Jun and waited with him, would you like to go with us. It’s my treat you can choose where to eat.” I hope she doesn’t find me creepy or weird like I’m hitting on her or something.

 

Chaeyoung loves food but also may find it weird since Jun is her student. Should I go? But I mean there’s only really one school here that Jun can go to and he isn’t Jun’s dad or something. But what if he’s married I don’t want to give the vibe that I’m a flirt.

 

“I wouldn’t take no as an answer, so please come with us you might be hungry. Unless you have plans then that’s okay too we can go next time.” Mino asked one more time. I wish she can go.

 

I’d love to go I mean this might be my chance. Chaeyoung thought thoroughly and took a deep sigh, “Alright, I’ll go. I don’t have anything to do anyway! I finished my checklist since Jun was well behaved and the kids had an activity all afternoon.”

 

Mino and Jun waited for Chaeyoung to pick up her stuff and walked to Mino’s car. He opened the door for her and put Jun into his seat. He apologized once again and they head to Jun’s restaurant. There they ate together and chatted. As they were driving things were a little awkward so Mino turned the sounds on and his song ‘Body’ played. Chaeyoung felt more awkward and stared at the window while listening to the lyrics. Myowa, the lyrics it’s so not me.