Maybe

Special is as Special Does

Joshua didn’t know if he should play hard to get or deal with this like it was a normal date. Jeonghan looked like he was taking this seriously. But Joshua had been snubbed and rejected one too many times to completely feel comfortable doing this. The only thing he knew for sure was that he wanted to tease the alpha as much as he could.

If Jeonghan truly was interested, then Joshua’s teasing should interest him more. If Jeonghan was playing with him, he’d lose interest quick once he realized Joshua wasn’t putting out, at all. Joshua half hoped Jeonghan would get angry, so then Joshua could put his boxing classes to use.

Joshua got out of the car once it was parked. He ignored how Jeonghan half jogged to his side like he wanted to open the door like a gentleman. “You can open the restaurant door if it makes you feel better,” Joshua smiled, keeping the bite out of his voice.

Grinning back, Jeonghan put his right hand on the small of Joshua’s back. “I’m willing to do whatever you want. If you don’t like how I’m treating you, I have no doubt you’d tell me.”

“Even if I told you, would that change how you act?” Joshua let Jeonghan keep his hand on him. “Alphas don’t tend to take direction well.”

Jeonghan wasn’t going to argue. It was true. “On the whole yes. But I’ve been told by my mom that I’m a very good boy and I take direction well.”

Joshua threw his head back and laughed. “Oh my gosh.”

With a smug smile and a twinkle in his eyes, Jeonghan said, “I can be a very good boy.”

Joshua knew he was flirting; two could play that game. Leaning, he whispered as Jeonghan opened the door. “I’m not looking for a boy though. I’m looking for a man.” Joshua pulled back as they stepped into the restaurant, slipping out of Jeonghan’s hold. He looked Jeonghan up and down, taunting him, asking him silently if he was that man.

Jeonghan swallowed. Clearing his throat, he turned his face halfway to the hostess. “Yoon Jeonghan, the private room.”

The hostess was skilled enough to ignore the . She grabbed the menus, indicating for them to follow her.

“If I say I’m man enough will you believe me?” Jeonghan knew it was dumb, but he couldn’t help but ask. His alpha hindbrain wanted to boast for this beta who challenged him. Jeonghan wanted to be seen as a potential mate. Joshua’s best option, even if Jeonghan knew that him being an alpha and Joshua being beta lowered the chances of children considerably between them.

“Of course not,” Joshua scoffed. He smiled and gently thanked the hostess for leading them to the table before he turned to Jeonghan, sitting down first. “This whole date is meant to give you a chance to show you’re not an of the first degree.” He tucked his hands under his chin, gracing Jeonghan with a sweet smile, “You can use it to show me how much a man you are too.”


Dinner was going rather well. Jeonghan wasn’t an alpha head as much as Joshua thought. The other man was surprisingly well read and cultured. Maybe Joshua’s first impression of him was sort of wrong.

“This is probably a sensitive question for you but I think for our relationship to get serious I need to ask. I don’t want to accidentally step on any landmines.”

Joshua’s eyebrows flew up. Serious? Relationship? Was Jeonghan more interested in Joshua then he thought? Or was he going for the long con?

“Why are you so cautious with alphas?”

Joshua grit his teeth, hand tightening on his fork. Cautious. “Cautious is the wrong word,” he said, unclenching his jaw. “Cautious is like saying I’m afraid.” He looked at Jeonghan with blazing eyes. “I’m far from afraid. I’m angry. Annoyed. Frustrated. Not just with alphas but society on a whole. Especially the cultural one here.” Joshua snarled, “Not that you would understand. First born child, a boy. Praised since birth most likely. A wonderful son. A perfect child to carry on the family name. Because you’re an alpha.”

Jeonghan felt his body move back.

“No one ever looked at you like you were less. Like you weren’t worth the attention, like you were beneath them. Because your chances of bearing children are low or because your virility is being questioned. Because you’re not a beta,” Joshua spat, laying his hands on the table as if he wanted to lunge at Jeonghan. “Excuse me for the righteous anger I feel. Because every single time I come into contact with those who think I’m an omega or a quiet alpha only for them to be proven wrong, they look at me with pity. As if being a beta is something to be pitied.”

Joshua smiled sharply at Jeonghan. The other man was shaking in his chair. “Cat got your tongue? Regretting your decision to ask me out on a date now?”

Jeonghan moved, slowly laying his hands on top of Joshua’s. Joshua tried not to yank his hands away from him. “No. No regrets about the date,” Jeonghan replied softly. “Just regrets over the fact that I acted like everyone else.”

Scoffing, Joshua turned his head away. “You assumed things that weren’t true. You weren’t the worse reaction I’ve had.” He didn’t need this kindness. Joshua wanted a fight. He wanted an outlet for this anger.

“Still,” Jeonghan said, “it didn’t make it right. You shouldn’t have to settle for bull.”

“And who’s going to stop it? You?” Joshua saw Jeonghan open his mouth, he shook his head, cutting him off. “No. Let’s stop talking about this. The date ends here. I’m tired. Take me home.”

Jeonghan lips thinned. “All right.”


Listlessly, Joshua stared out the window as the car moved down the streets of Seoul. Bright lights and tall buildings assaulted his eyes. It took him ten minutes to figure out that Jeonghan wasn’t driving him home. “Where are we going? This isn’t the way to my place.”

“I know,” Jeonghan said. “Just one more place. I think you’ll like it. Please.”

“I—”

“You sounded like you needed to vent. A way to get that anger out. I know a place.”

The place was an indoor batting cage. What were they going to do here?

Jeonghan took his hand, moving them into a cage. Letting go of Joshua’s hand, he grabbed a baseball, dropping it into Joshua’s open palm. “Each one of these balls is someone who ever slighted you, pissed you off, did something that made you sad. The whole place is ours for the next two hours. Go wild.”

Gripping the baseball, Joshua felt a surge of glee rise. He turned his gaze to Jeonghan, “And what about you?”

He smiled, just a tad smug, sitting down on the bench by the bats. “Me? I’m going to watch my date enjoy himself.”

Joshua gave him a teethy grin, the corner of his eyes slightly curling. “Get the machine started.”


A sharp ping resounded through the area. “ you stupid who tried to crowd me on the bus!” Joshua laughed like a wild animal. “I know you thought I was an omega until I growled in your stupid ugly face!”

It took a good number of swings until Joshua got the rhythm of hitting baseballs right. He was used to hitting larger targets with his fists. His eyes twinkled as he took in all the balls that were on the other side.

Joshua at this point had shed his jacket and rolled up his shirt sleeves. The sweat made his white shirt cling to him, showing off his muscles.

He let out another shout as the bat made contact with another ball. “ the people at school who look at me like I’m some pariah for not meeting their damn assumptions! I’m a beta and proud of it! You all can it!” He roared as he swung hard at the next ball coming his way.

Joshua let the adrenaline course through his body, giving him that exercise high he felt when boxed until his arms and legs felt like they would fall off. He took one last swing, “ Yoon Jeonghan for making this date fun!”

A cackle rang through, a rustle of fabric as Jeonghan got up. Turning off the machine, he walked close enough to Joshua but out of range of the bat. “Does that mean I can take you out on another date? Did I successfully charm you?”

Holding up the bat, Joshua pointed it at Jeonghan. “I don’t know why you think you have.”

Jeonghan found it cute how Joshua played hard to get. He cleared his throat, “That Yoon Jeonghan for making this date fun gave it away. And I don’t mind if we ed, but I’m pretty sure that’s not on the table yet, so it means I can have another date.”

“ is definitely not an option. Not even a kiss,” Joshua retorted, lowering the bat. “Maybe to that 2nd date,” he gave Jeonghan a shy smile. “As long as Yoon Jeonghan isn’t a head alpha.”

Jeonghan grinned back. “I’m sure Hong Joshua will show me the error of my ways if I say something dumb.”