Beta This, Beta That

Special is as Special Does

Joshua has heard it a plenty in his life. Despite the new age of thinking and how people tried not to put such an emphasis on secondary genders, he couldn’t stop the slight pang when he heard those damn words.

“Betas are nothing special.”

A scoff, “A Beta? I won’t settle for one of them.”

A shake of the head. “Nah man. No Betas for me. I’m not slumming it.”

His mom told him as he grew up, as he changed, “You are my precious darling. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

And Joshua hadn’t. He gave a giant metaphorical middle finger to anyone who told him he was lesser simply because he happened to be a Beta and not an Omega or an Alpha. He was Beta and proud, screw anyone else who thought so.

South Korea on the other hand. It was like half stepping back into the world 50 years ago when the new age thinking hadn’t quite made such a splash and filtered its way through peoples’ minds. He knew he wanted, begged practically do to a stint of study abroad here, but he was now regretting it something awful.

Some of the people he had met were more of the secondary genders weren’t important mindset. But the majority, they were stuck in the times were it actually mattered. And perhaps it did to them. Considering the birth rate in the country.

Joshua endured remarks and little snide giggles when people checked him out, not realizing at first glance he wasn’t an Omega, but just a pretty Beta. Or that he wasn’t a quiet, soft Alpha who came from America. No, he was just a Beta.

It was enough to make him scream. That’s why he was here at some stupid club with the friends he had actually made that weren’t asshats, knocking back a bitter foul tasting Vodka shot. He hated Vodka but he needed it. It burned going down his throat, his adam’s apple bobbing as he swallowed.

“Hey there,” a voice called out, annoyingly close to his ear, “a pretty Omega like you shouldn’t be drinking so dangerously like that without an Alpha to protect you from drunk idiots.”

Nearly, slamming the shot glass down on the bar, Joshua whipped around, eyes blazing. He was so damn tired of hearing it. Especially after the tiring week where he had decided to take on the internship that was offered to him: the office seemed to light up at the sight of him, the words fresh meat clear across their faces, but as soon as a few of them learned he was a Beta they seemed less enthused. More than half backed away from being flirty and overbearingly friendly. Some of the others were ok. But Joshua didn’t like being treated like some sort of pariah. He growled out, “Well then it’s a good thing I’m not an Omega.” Baring his teeth at an, unfortunately handsome Alpha, Joshua spat, “Back off. I’m a Beta. I can damn well take care of myself.”

“Your drinks,” the barman said, pushing over a small tray of glasses at Joshua.

“Thanks,” Joshua said, glaring at the Alpha before he slid over a few bills to tip the man for his wonderful timing. He grabbed the tray, almost snarling one last time at the stupid light brown haired Alpha before walking back to the table his friends commandeered.

The Alpha simply stared at him, eyes a bit wide.


Joshua would’ve slammed the tray down if he hadn’t just paid for them and that would be a waste of decent tasting alcohol for him to get mildly buzzed tonight. Stupid Alphas. Stupid people. Stupid backwards ways of thinking.

“You ok?” Vernon asked, taking his drink cautiously. Nothing ever went well when Joshua lost his control on his even temper. The dude was chill as ice. But when he burned. Nah.

Joshua turned his face, giving Vernon a good look at how he strained to keep himself from growling. “Do I look ok?” He kept his tone as even as possible, but even he could hear the way he trembled with suppressed rage.

“Someone say something stupid again?” He knew why Joshua even bothered to go out with them tonight, and why he was even drinking in the first place. This sort of rage though was more than when they came into the club.

“A stupid Alpha,” Joshua spat. “Came up from behind me and started on some crap about how a pretty Omega like me shouldn’t be drinking alone. First, he can go die in a pit I’m not an Omega, and second even if I was no one asked.”

Wincing, Vernon nodded in agreement. The last time he tried to help one of their Omega friends with something mundane like lift a heavy box he got a good talking to about pandering and how Vernon should get with the times as they were changing. Kids younger than them were forgetting all about secondary genders unlike the older ones. Which was good.

Vernon opted to say nothing beyond, “Need another drink?” Words wouldn’t help Joshua now. A good stiff drink might.

“Yes,” Joshua sighed, throwing himself into the cushions.

“I’ll get you another one man. Be right back.”

Joshua groaned into his one drink, eyes staring listlessly through the brown liquid. Stupid secondary genders.


“Strike out with the Omega?” Seungcheol asked with a laugh.

Jeonghan eyed him, he clearly got into the drinks rather quick. Seungcheol words were slurring. “He wasn’t even an Omega,” Jeonghan said. He wasn’t all that disappointed though. The way the other man’s eyes flashed at him, angry and full of passion. No fear for Jeonghan or for his status. It was…arousing.

“A Beta?” Seungcheol snorted. “Useless. Don’t know why they think they can pull Alphas or Omegas.”

And there went Seungcheol’s dumb drunk ing . Jeonghan watched from the corner of his eye as Jihoon stiffened and some of their friends’ grimace.  He knew some of them were uncomfortable with Seungcheol’s age old beliefs, but product of his upbringing and all that; Jeonghan himself was brought up with it but he watched friends get snubbed one too many times for the stupidest of reasons to stick to it.

 “Excuse me?” Jihoon hissed, eyes narrowing. “The you just say? Useless?” He stood up. “Can’t pull can we? Keep your stupid old beliefs to yourself!” He snapped. He got up and left the table.

Seungcheol blinked. “What did I say wrong?”

“Someone stop him from drinking,” Wonwoo said, sighing exasperatedly.

Seungkwan grabbed the drinks and moved them away, ignoring Seungcheol’s grabby hands for them. He needed to know when to stop.

“You’re so stupid,” Jeonghan muttered. He stood up, “I got a Beta to find.”


Jeonghan didn’t find that pretty Beta with fierce eyes though. He went home to nurse a mild headache and friends who were angry at each other. Not his problem. Normally he would help, but he was tired of Seungcheol acting like a wit and cleaning up after him. Seungcheol reaped what he sowed. Time for him to grow the up and learn something new.

He had a Beta to find. Maybe he went to the same school. It would be ing destiny if Jeonghan bumped into him on campus. Especially one of this size.

“Want to go with me to meet some of my boyfriend’s friends?” Seungkwan looked down on him, eyebrows raised. “You look like you need a distraction.”

Nodding, Jeonghan stood up, leaving his half lying down position on the desk. “Preoccupied.”

“Maybe they’ll be able to help you find the Beta you’re looking for. They were there last night too.” He grabbed Jeonghan by his sleeve, “Come on hyung.”

Seungkwan started waving madly as they came into view of a small group of guys. The one who waved and grinned back, more than a bit besotted was intriguingly half foreign. Jeonghan would’ve thought Seungkwan would go for a more traditional sort of person. But guess not. Oh well.

Looking through the faces, Jeonghan raised his brows. Seungkwan’s boyfriend certainly had good looking friends. As his eyes took in the faces, he stopped recognizing the Beta from the night before.

Said Beta eyebrow twitched. He turned to whisper into his friend’s ear, said his goodbyes and high tailed it out of there.

He would’ve made it out too but Jeonghan was always one for sports. Chasing after the Beta, he ignored Seungkwan’s squawks. Said Beta weaved in and out of other students, glancing back at Jeonghan with annoyed eyes.

Jeonghan stared back, running without breaking a sweat.

Finally, the Beta decided he had enough. Stopping, he moved into an empty area behind one of the school buildings.

“What do you want,” he snapped, as he caught his breath.

“A date,” Jeonghan blurted out.

The Beta gave him a look that suggested he thought Jeonghan was off his rocker. Maybe he was going after a Beta when he usually went for Omegas, but that fire in his eyes was captivating. “I want a date.”