Seulgi's Test

Arcadia: New Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn't take long for Seulgi to know the basics of living in Arcadia. Within two weeks, she memorized all the do's and dont's with Irene's help. You see, there are three ultimate laws in Arcadia: 

Killing someone with magic is strictly prohibited. Instant death for those found guilty. Practicing dark magic is a taboo. Individuals/groups who are found guilty of this are sentenced to death by stake or by burning. No harming of familiars. Treat them as you would treat a friend. Any abuse done on them will merit the owner severe punishment.

By the end of those two weeks, Seulgi was registered as Irene's official familiar. But the management officer needed some background info for the official records, so Irene just told him that she found Seulgi wandering by the river and struck up a deal with her, as you would with any other familiar.

In Arcadia, one's strength is measured by their affinity to magic and the bond with their familiars. The stronger owner grows, the stronger the familiar gets. 

"Now sign here, and here. Now go see the familiar trainer. Go straight down the hallway and turn right." said the officer, not even lifting his head up to give Irene a second glance.

They walked through the large halls of the Institute, its walls decorated with paintings and pictures of famous mages, witches and warlocks from the past. After a while, they found the office they were looking for. 

Irene knocked a few times then entered. Sitting on an office chair was a very pretty nereid wearing a white vest with lots of claw marks. "Hi there! You must be the Irene, the one who just acquired her first familiar! My name is Yoona. Nice to meet ya!" the woman said cheerfully.

"Nice to meet you too. This is Seulgi. Be nice to the pretty lady and say hi." Irene told Seulgi. Seulgi rolled her eyes. "Can you not treat me like a child?" she saiid after waving hello. 

"Oh she's a spunky one, huh? Where'd you find her?" Yoona asked while standing up to take a closer look at Seulgi. She began poking Seulgi's sides which made her laugh involuntarily. "S-Stop, that tickles." she said, trying to control her giggling.

Irene sat down and fiddled with one of the ballpens on Yoona's table. "Found her by the river, at night. During my nightly scroll."  Yoona just nodded and scribbled something on a clipboard. "Well, by the looks of things, your familiar is pretty tough. You're a lucky girl, Irene. Take good care of each other, you hear?" she told both Irene and Seulgi. They promptly nodded and went out, Irene proud of herself of being a registered master. Seulgi's stomach growled. "FEED MEEEE" Seulgi whined as she tugged on Irene's shirt. 

------

After Seulgi ate most of the meal they ordered, they teleported to the Institute, just in time for Handling class. Since Irene was already a registered owner, the class was automatically added to her load. She hurried to the field. Seulgi was in her light orb form, floating around Irene's head.

"Good job making it in time, Ms. Bae, or else I would've assigned you to stable cleaning." Irene looked around and downward, finding a black cat in front of her, swishing its tail. Then suddenly, poof! And a lithe-looking woman took its place. Suddenly her eye twitched, not liking the noisy environment. 

Irene blinked and the woman was already at the front. Wooaahh, I gotta learn THAT spell, she noted mentally. The woman dragged her claw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter