Cheetolord

Initiation

You rummage through your closet, searching for your favorite black-and-white flannel. After a few more minutes of searching, however, you realize that it’s not there. You bite your lip, feeling your brows knit together as you wonder where it can be. You check the alarm clock next to your bed to realize that you don’t have time, and you quickly grab a random sweater before putting it on and making your way out of your shared dorm room.

 

Seulgi’s your roommate, and having lived with her for two years now, you know that she’s already in class. Throughout your first two classes, you think about where you could have possibly misplaced your flannel. It’s nothing special, really, but you really like it, and losing it upsets you. When the professor finally finishes his lecture, you close your laptop, slip it into your bag, and quickly make your way towards the cafeteria for a much needed cup of coffee.

 

That’s when you spot Seulgi.

 

Seulgi in the far corner of the cafeteria.

 

Seulgi with iced tea on the table next to her, and reading a textbook with a pen in hand.

 

Seulgi wearing your favorite black-and-white flannel shirt.

 

Registering that factor for a good ten seconds, you then kick into gear and storm over to your roommate. Students make way for you surprisingly (maybe you just look that scary right now) before you finally reach the oblivious younger girl.

 

“Hey Seulgi,” you say through gritted teeth.

 

Seulgi looks up from her book, eyes curious as she looks up at you before a smile breaks across her face. “Hey, Unnie!”

 

You stare at her for another few seconds before you pull out a chair across from her and sit down. “You wanna know something funny that happened to me this morning?” you ask innocently.

 

Seulgi tilts her head slightly before taking her pen off of her notebook and twirling it between her fingers instead.

 

She nods.

 

“Alright, so this morning, I was getting ready for school, right? And I was looking for something to wear. I felt like wearing my favorite shirt today, you know, but for some reason I couldn’t find it,” you say, eyeing her pointedly, “And I was wondering if you’ve seen it. It’s a flannel and it’s black-and-white, and it just might be what you’re wearing right now.”

 

Seulgi stares at you this time before smiling shyly. “I sort of ran out of clothes and you were sleeping, so I thought I might borrow from you,” she says, fiddling with the buttons on your flannel.

 

You let out a sigh before shaking your head and smiling. You’ve always been weak whenever it comes to her. “Whatever, just tell me next time or something, yeah?”

 

Seulgi nods.

 

“So, how’s psych going?” you ask.

 

Seulgi’s brows furrow slightly as she glances at her textbook. “It’s fine.”

 

“Not going too well?”

 

Seulgi shrugs. “I don’t know, I guess it’ll get better sooner or later. I’m just a little stuck right now.”

 

You hum, watching as Seulgi’s brows continue to furrow even as she scribbles in a few more words into her notes before she closes the textbook with a sigh. She takes a sip of her iced coffee. When Seulgi puts it down, you snatch it off the table and take in a few gulps. You’re not particularly fond of coffee, but you like messing with the younger girl.

 

“Hey!”

 

You grin and stick out your tongue. “That’s what you get for wearing my shirt!”

 

“What? Do you want me to take it off right now? Huh?” Seulgi says before undoing a button on the flannel.

 

You feel your face burst into flames as you throw up your hands in surrender. “No! I was kidding! Stop!”

 

You hear a giggle and feel a hand pat you on the head.

 

“That’s what I thought.”

 

~

 

The next morning, you wake up to a wrapped box sitting on the end of your bed.  The wrapping paper is yellow with cute little emoticons of brown bears adorning it. Carefully, you unwrap it and pick up the card that falls out of it.

 

Hey, Unnie! I thought I should pay you back for wearing your clothes all the time, so here’s a little gift. Make sure to wear it!

 

You smile and put the card aside, opening up the box carefully to reveal a yellow hoodie folded neatly at the bottom. Taking it out and unfolding it, you see the larger version of the same emoticon of the bear on the front of the hoodie.

 

WIthout hesitation, you put it on, pick up your bag, and walk out the door.

 

When you find Seulgi at the cafe two hours later, she’s wearing a red hoodie with the emoticon of a white bunny on its front. Matching hoodies. Why are you not surprised?

 

“You’re wearing it!”

 

“Of course I’m wearing it,” you say, sticking your hands in the pocket of the hoodie.

 

“Aren’t they cute? I got it customized yesterday. The guy there told me it wouldn’t take too long, and I asked him to use the emoticons we always use, and they weren’t that expensive either. Oh, and - .”

 

“Do you want to go out with me?”

Horror fills you when your words process in your head, your mouth opening and closing like a fish’s and blinking rapidly. The silence only lasts for a few seconds because Seulgi suddenly grins that bear-like grin of hers and springs up from her seat, wrapping her arms around you and burying her face into your shoulder.

 

“Yes!”

 

You wear that hoodie every day after that.

--

More stories by Cheetolord