ReVeLand

Initiation

She doesn’t expect to see her today, of all days.

“Seulgi,” a voice beside her whispers gently and she turns to see Seungwan looking at her worriedly, (she wonders, briefly, how long she’s been staring for even Seungwan to take notice), “Are you okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

I might as well have, she thinks.

It’s a Friday night and it’s one of the most important days of her life. Her artwork is finally getting displayed in an exhibit alongside other critically acclaimed artists and she’s already getting offers for her next one. She even woke up this morning feeling ridiculously invigorated about life because this is it. Her first big break. The thing that she’s been working so hard for.

How weird that none of that seems to matter now.

Because it’s her. And she’s here.

Bae Joohyun.

The one that got away.

“I’m fine,” she answers Seungwan’s question, perhaps three seconds too late for it to be convincing, “I just think I saw someone I knew.”

Seungwan eyes her skeptically for a beat, before the smaller girl nods, “Okay, if you say so. I’ll just walk around for a bit, call me when you need me.”

She nods absentmindedly before glancing back to where she was standing earlier only to find that she’s no longer there.

She looks around for a few minutes before she gives up. She’ll say she’s relieved. Because she doesn’t have to face her again. But the mix of disappointment settling in her gut is a telltale sign that she’s never been good at lying.

She settles on one of the corners of the gallery, observing one of her favorite pieces. It’s not the main art for her exhibition. It’s not even one of her main pieces. But this painting of the sky will always be special to her, the sunset tainting the world in a million shades of red and violets. So she pleaded her agent to include it for the viewing.

“I knew you’d make it,” another voice says from her right and she doesn’t even have to look for her heart to start thundering in her chest.

Of course she’ll be here. This painting is their sky, after all. The view on top of Joohyun’s house, where they will always visit to watch the sunset. The place where they used to have forever.

It’s amazing. When someone who used to take up your entire world becomes a stranger.

But she has no right to complain. She was the one who left, after all.

“These are amazing, Seulgi,” Joohyun’s voice is as beautiful as she remembers. And she’s having a hard time concentrating on what the girl is saying, because she’s tracing Seulgi’s painting with a ghost of her hand as if it’s the most precious thing in the world.

She remembers it, just like it was yesterday, when Joohyun used to trace her in much the same way.

She shakes her head before she gets carried away. Because that’s not something that she should be thinking about. Not here. Not now.

“Thank you,” she answers, a beat too late again. Joohyun’s always had that uncanny ability to make her speechless.

“I didn’t know you were back in town,” Joohyun speaks easily, with a small smile on her lips, “When did you come back from the States?”

“Two months ago,” she whispers back, afraid that her voice might tremble if she speaks too loud, “It was mostly for this exhibit. But now I’m thinking of staying back here for good.”

“Why didn’t you call?” if the question had come from anyone else, she would’ve thought that they were accusing. But this is Joohyun. Joohyun who’s looking at her with a sad smile that makes her want to bash herself with a canvas.

Because I’m a coward. Because I was scared. I wanted to see you so badly but what if you’ve moved on? Because I don’t deserve you since I left.

“I’m sorry.”

She doesn’t deserve Joohyun. Because Joohyun deserves someone who will always be by her side and not on the other side of the world chasing the sky.

“Don’t be,” Joohyun answers firmly, and she thinks they’re not talking about the call anymore, “I was the one who urged you to go.”

It’s quiet for the next five minutes. The air filled with the words that neither of them can bear to say. It’s broken when Joohyun’s phone dings with a message.

“I guess I have to go,” Joohyun sighs and she clenches her fist to stop herself from grabbing Joohyun in a tight hug and never letting go, “I’ll see you around?”

“Yeah,” she trails off, watching Joohyun walk away from her one step at a time.

And it all seems too familiar. Because this happened two years ago. Except it’s in reverse, when Joohyun sets her free with a smile and a kiss so she can chase her dreams on the other side of the world.

But things are different now. And this is the kind of second chance that she’ll always be willing to take.

Because this is Joohyun. And Joohyun will always be worth it.

“Joohyun!” she calls, because she’s been a coward before. 

But it’s not going to happen again. Because this time, she’ll try harder.

“Do you want to have dinner with me?” she asks as soon as she catches up by the exit, her voice croaks out of her nervousness, but she doesn’t back down.

Joohyun looks at her, eyes wide in surprise, glancing at the hand that she’d grabbed as soon as she was near enough.

Another beat of silence that’s punctuated by their beating hearts.

“I’d love to.”

--

More stories by ReVeLand