‘cause we never go out of style (seulrene)

i write the songs that make the whole world sing

In LA, in Red Velvet’s hotel room...

“Seulgi,” Irene says tentatively, an eyebrow raised as she looks over Seulgi up and down. “Did you take my new jacket?”

Seulgi looks up from where she’s sitting on the couch, fiddling with the zipper of her recently bought Top Shop jacket, blinking. “No, unnie? I bought this myself the other day, during a sale. Maybe you’re mistaken? You should check your luggage to make sure it’s there.”

Groaning, Irene dashes over to her side of the hotel room and whips her luggage open, only to groan louder when she unfortunately finds what she’s looking for.

She returns to the couch thirty seconds later, the exact same jacket as Seulgi gripped in her hands.

“We have the same jacket,” Irene states blandly, visually comparing the two jackets side to side, only to find them to be exactly the same.

Meanwhile, Seulgi is all wide, starry-eyed, her brown orbs positively glittering with excitement.

“Unnie, we should twin today for the upcoming K-pop concert rehearsal when we get back to Korea!” Seulgi exclaims eagerly, getting up from the couch and reaching out to grip Irene’s wrist. She pouts as she identifies the hesitance in Irene’s features. “Oh, c’mon, unnie, please? Why not?”

Irene wrinkles her brow, doing all she can not to fall for Seulgi’s perfect puppy dog eyes. “Seul, half of Korea already thinks we’re twins. The rest of Korea thinks that we’ve magically fused into the same person a lá Dragon Ball. I don’t think we really need to add to that.”

“Unnie,” Seulgi continues pouting, crossing her arms for added affect. “What do I have to do to make you twin with me?”

“Hmm...” Irene places a thoughtful finger on her chin. “I know!” She grins evilly. This outta make her want out... 

“Get bangs. More specifically, my bangs from The Red Summer era.”

Seulgi blinks again, cocking her head, processing the request. Then, much to Irene’s shock, Seulgi beams, nodding her head happily in compliance.

“Okay,” Seulgi says, in that cute Seulgi-tone, in that Seulgi-way that makes her eyes just disappear into crescent moons.

Irene is a goner.

“Okay,” the older girl repeats in a daze, lost in everything Seulgi. “I’ll wear it.”

A few days later...

“How’d you think Seulgi got Irene-unnie to twin with her for open rehearsals today?” Wendy whispers to Joy from the backseat of the car. She and the tallest girl hog the back, while Seulgi and Yeri joke around in the middle lane. Meanwhile, Irene reclines deservingly in the front, watching over her members fondly. “I can’t believe they’re actually wearing the same jacket.”

“Cute girl,” Joy replies with a shrug. “Cute smile. Irene-unnie just can’t resist Seulgi.”

Wendy furrows her brow. “I don’t get it— oh.”

The Canadian turns to the front fast enough to see Seulgi lean over the passenger seat, poking Irene’s arm gently. “Unnie?”

“Hm?” Irene gets that awed look in her eyes again, and absentmindedly reaches out to brush some of Seulgi’s newly-cut bangs out of the second-eldest’s eyes.

“Can we get ice cream after the concert?” Seulgi asks softly. “I’ve been craving some. We didn’t get to have any in LA.” She pouts.

Irene nods dumbly. “Yeah, sure thing.”

“I take it back,” Wendy mutters to Joy. “I see what you mean.”

bonus

Sadness-unnie feels on top of the world today. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the girls are satisfied with their planned wardrobe and new hairstyles, and best of yet, the weather is perfect enough that Sadness-unnie finally gets to wear that new jacket from Top Shop that she bought on sale the other day—

Irene stops dead in her tracks when she heads on stage for rehearsal, seeing the jacket her manager has slipped on.

“NO.” She shouts, speed walking towards Sadness-unnie.

“Joohyun, wha—“

“NO.” Irene cuts her off, herding her manager off stage. “NO NO NO NO NO NO—“