[Boyfriend Material 101]

Instant Boyfriend Material [Kang Daniel]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hani… we have something to tell you…” Her two best friends hesitated, nudging each other. They were arguing on which one of them was going to relay the news.

“What is it guys?” Hani looked up from her book, raising an eyebrow at her friend’s weird behaviour.

Sohee spoke after losing the nudging battle with Iseul, “But first you have to promise that you won’t get angry.” She placed a green tea latte in front of Hani as a consolation, in hopes that her friend would not get angry at them for what they were about to tell her.

Hani closed her book and placed her pen down. “You know I’m not like that… what is it?” She was now getting a little impatient as she crossed her arms.

“We… kinda forgot about your birthday tomorrow…” Sohee started, biting her lips while scratching her head.

Iseul continued, “…and we already made plans with our boyfriends for the weekends.”

“Sorry Hani…” They apologized in unison.

Hani glanced at her phone, checking the calendar. It is my birthday tomorrow…

“That’s ok. I kinda forgot about that too. It’s no big deal.” She sighed, it’s not the first time she’s been ditched by her best friends because of their boyfriends.

It has been a year since both of her friends started dating. She was happy for both of them, at the same time couldn’t help but to feel jealous. Sometimes they even dragged her along to their double dates, saying that they couldn’t leave her alone as an excuse. But Hani rather be left alone than having to see the lovey-dovey couples in front of her.

“This is why we told you to get a boyfriend!” Sohee nagged while taking a seat in front of Hani. “Then we can all celebrate your birthday together!”

It’s not the first time her friends forced her to get a boyfriend. She was getting tired of hearing the same ‘advice’ -as Iseul would call it, and now even her grandmother joined in the bandwagon, occasionally calling to ‘check-up’ on her while slipping in the boyfriend topic.

Hani is interested in boys of course, she definitely would date if there’s someone available for her. But most of the guys that she knew from university are either not matured for their age or already dating. In this case, with two of her best friends. A year has passed since her best friend started nagging her to get a boyfriend that she just let their words slip through her ears. She is also now in her final year of degree, so she prefers to focus more on her studies and worry about dating after she graduates. Due to this very reason, Hani also has the tendency to friendzone every guy that wants to get closer to her.

Hani just shook her head, chuckling, “I want to graduate well and I-”

“Don’t want to get distracted… yeah we know.” The two girls chimed in unison, cutting her mid-sentence.

“But having a boyfriend can also be quite helpful you know? Like studying together and… and…” Iseul hummed, trying to find another reasoning while nudging Sohee for SOS.

“uhhh… when you’re tired or feeling discouraged or sad, he can cheer you up!” Sohee grinned.

Hani grinned back sarcastically, “I have you guys for that.”

***

As Hani was walking back home that evening, she passed by a bakery. She immediately walked backwards and stopped in front of the glass window while staring inside the bakery. Should I get myself a cake? It is my birthday after all… she pondered silently before stepping inside. Hani scanned the glass display case before settling on a rainbow layer cake.

“What would you like miss?” The cashier asked, ready to take her order.

“One whole…” Hani trailed before changing her mind. “I mean just one slice of cake for me.” She smiled at the cashier while pointing to the rainbow cake. I have no one to share it with anyways…

“Can I also get a candle?” Hani requested. It took the cashier a while to process her request before nodding back and placing one candle in the box with the slice of cake. Hani knew he must’ve felt strange, why would you need a candle for only one slice of cake?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter