extra!ordinary: The Rise of Boo Seungkwan

pretty much

an: not an epilogue, but more a prologue!! i love boo seungkwan ur beautiful and my interpretation of your character is fun to write from lololol also i might have more extras but probably gonna be more slow in updating etc.


Since the very first time he set foot into his kindergarten and found his place on a pink stool overlooking the other chubby pupils, Boo Seungkwan has known that he is destined for stardom. Granted, he was booed off his throne within his first few seconds of ascension, but there had never been a shred of doubt that this aspiring vocalist would rise to national, no, international fame within a matter of years. His mother - one with a sharp eye for talent - had said so, and Seungkwan, at the tender age of seven, had promised himself thus. 

In the years it would take for him to blossom, he would carefully chronicle his rise to success; he's even got a headliner planned, as well as a title for his autobiography ("Jeju Boy Takes the World by Storm", "Broadway at 20", and "Dreamer, Diva, Dedication" seemed less cheesy when he doodled them down but he supposes he can let it go because it's still a work-in-progress). Boo Seungkwan knows he'll make it - he's not only got his mother's good looks and charms, but also her ever-positive, determined spirit. 

From then on, Boo Seungkwan has been working hard - he'll get into the best arts school, swipe all the scholarships for a vocalist major, and make it to broadway by the age of 20, where he'll be at the prime of his life. Of course, the leap between the second and the third stages is a little daunting and vague, but Boo Seungkwan has never been one to falter. 


When the time comes to apply for a college, Seungkwan strategically maps out a time-efficient, cost-efficient, productivity-ensured route to travel to the top three art colleges in the country (he figures that two as backup will suffice - there's no way the most prestigious college would reject him). The first stop had been to South Korea Arts University, a no-brainer and the absolute school of his dreams. Its exterior spoke of broad, clean white walls and a magnificent size. The interior was equally stunning, with its rows of music studios and perfect acoustics. Seungkwan swears he can find his way around the entire school through the sole use of echolocation. The guide had been pleasant, though a little snooty (she had glanced right through him and his worn-out baseball cap), and Seungkwan hung onto every alumni's name she spoke of, registering them as impressive National Treasures or Legacy Singers. This - this is what Seungkwan has been dreaming of.

The second stop paled horribly in comparison to South Korea Arts University - what wouldn't? Sure, it had great facilities and an indoors volleyball court, but after viewing one of the world's wonders, Seungkwan thinks that the Korean Institute of Arts is a little disappointing. Even the guide, a stammering young man, had softly agreed that SKAU was an opportunity only a fool would drop. That said, Seungkwan knows that he still has one last university to check out - and he's not really looking forward to it.

The last university isn't exactly an arts school; Pledis University is an international all-rounder, with departments for the arts and sciences alike. In terms of Seungkwan's bold ambitions of becoming a star, it's shabby and half-hearted. But Pledis does boast the top academic rate (right beside SKAU) as well as a good international presence. In addition to its exchange student population, there're also frequent exchange programmes to the US - the US! Seungkwan would be lying if he wouldn't grab at the chance to fly, subsidised, to Broadway and simper at the Phantom of the Opera. 

When he arrives, however, he's not so sure. He had been aware of the fact that Pledis is... a little more than lacking in the arts department, but. 

"It's a container," Seungkwan mouths, horrified. "It's literally a shipping container-"

"Oh!" his guide, Seokmin, exclaims as though he'd just made an excellent discovery. "I wouldn't be surprised if it were. How cool is that!"

Seungkwan lets his jaw drop, and Seokmin unfortunately mistakes that as acknowledgement. Seokmin continues walking, blabbering on and on about the 'atmosphere' and 'environment' of the art college at Pledis while Seungkwan feels his knees go weak. There are more than one music studios, certainly, but they're at a ratio of one room to twenty students. Twenty! And that's not even counting the seniors or the clubs!

"Oh, sometimes the dance majors and the theatre kids use it, so you gotta fend for yourself," Seokmin adds cheerfully, scribbling random stuff on his clipboard (which he borrowed from the reception to look extra Professional). "Really gives you a taste of the real world."

"T-t-the real world," Seungkwan squawks. "How can you - how do you even survive in these conditions!"

Seokmin actually pauses to consider the question. "Oh, I think it's about three cups of coffee in the morning, and two redbulls in the afternoon, as well as-"

"Don't scare him, Seokmin," a lithe voice chimes in front of them.

"Oh! Jeonghannie!" Seokmin yells, and wraps his arms around The Prettiest Man he's ever seen (besides himself). "I'm just showing this kid around for open day."

"I'm not a kid!" Seungkwan says, but greets the other man properly. "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too, Seungkwan?" the man with long hair says, peeking at his visitor pass. "I'm Jeonghan, an art major. What are you here for?"

Seungkwan would like to say, "The Art Department Here Is A Sham," but he's not that rude. Plus, Jeonghan seems sane enough. Maybe this is just the topmost surface of the arts college, and there's an underground extension to some gloriously designed music chamber.

"I'm going to be a vocalist," Seungkwan says proudly, and Jeonghan smiles like he understands all those years of Seungkwan's unwavering dedication and hardwork.

"That's great, I can hear you have a strong voice," Jeonghan says. "I can bring you to the music studios-"

Seungkwan's ears perk up - so there is a basement! At least, until Seokmin says, "Oh, but Hannie, I've brought him to the music studios already."

Jeonghan nods understandingly. "Ah, you did come from that way after all."

"That's it?" Seungkwan says weakly. He can't believe it - what happened to being a reputable school?

Jeonghan and Seokmin exchange looks. Seungkwan is visibly having a meltdown - he didn't think it'd be this bad. Logically, he knows that he can just walk out of this place and never sully his eyes with the sight of underfunded arts facilities, but after being exposed to the miraculous architecture and spirituality of SKAU, Seungkwan is this close to flipping a table. If he can even find one here, that is.

"Hey, you know what, if you're still willing to stick around, there's someone I think you might want to see," Jeonghan offers kindly, smiling in a way that Seungkwan knows he won't be able to resist even in his normal, unshocked state.

Seungkwan nods numbly - knowing that he's not going to change his mind anyway.


They take a few twists and turns - Seungkwan spots an eerie-looking vending machine that Jeonghan scoffs at - and finally arrive at a set of three doors. Jeonghan carefully knocks on the green, but enters by the blue. The room is pretty ordinary, with the exception of the brighter lights, stacks of music sheets and crushed papers around the floor, and oh, the extra fancy sound equipment next to the professional organ set. This. This looks much, much more legit than anything he's ever seen.

"Woozi," Jeonghan says tentatively, gesturing for Seokmin and Seungkwan to stay behind him.

Surprisingly, Seokmin follows his instructions without any protest. Huh. 

"Woozi," Jeonghan tries again, stepping forward towards an office chair. "Jihoon?"

Seungkwan sniffs, and realises that the entire room is doused in coffee. Wow, Seokmin wasn't joking about the caffeine.

"Jihoonie?" Jeonghan says, tone softening even more if that was possible. "Ah, there you are."

The office chair swivels and a shorter man gazes up drunkenly into Jeonghan's face. "Don't call me 'Jihoonie' again."

Jeonghan sighs, "You've skipped meals again, haven't you?"

"I'm just stuck on this line," Jihoon says, and turns back to his desk. "Vernon gave me some stuff to work with but it's... it's very unique. I don't think I can fit it anywhere."

"Hm," Jeonghan bends over to look at the papers on Jihoon's table, and Seokmin gasps. "How about having it before the chorus, but after the first verse, and then maybe having it as a background against the bridge? The meaning might fit quite well together."

"Delay the chorus by a minute?" Jihoon says, uncertain. "I like the overlap though. Hm. Yeah, I'll try that."

Jeonghan nods shyly. "I hope it works. Oh, right, I found someone for your song."

Seungkwan straightens immediately as Jihoon turns around in his seat and glares right through him. Seokmin gives Seungkwan an encouraging push, which causes him to stumble forward like a lost goat on a sacrificial altar. That said, the air of superiority and professionalism surrounding Jihoon certainly inspires fear in Seungkwan immediately. But he's a vocalist, he reminds himself, he's gone through things far worse than 1.64 metres of sleep-deprivation and possible lyrical genius.

"Jihoon, this is Seungkwan, a vocalist. Seungkwan, this is Jihoon, our genius composer," Jeonghan says, smiling at Seungkwan warmly.

"Hello, I'm Boo Seungkwan!" Seungkwan says instantly, earning a raised eyebrow from Jihoon.

"Jihoon," Jihoon says, and narrows his eyes. "Range?"

"R-range?" Why does this feel like an interrogation? "Tenor..."

Jihoon nods, satisfied, and gets off his chair. For a moment Seungkwan thinks he might attack him with a guitar, but Jihoon only walks through an inconspicuous door. Jeonghan smiles even wider, and passes Seungkwan a stack of papers. 

"Here, just go through that door, and we'll see what magic you can do!" 


By the end of thirty minutes (Seungkwan was sure that that had at least been ten full hours), Seungkwan is panting slightly and extremely red in the face. Jihoon had played a couple of keys and waited for Seungkwan to keep up by singing the exact pitch - and then, after twenty chords or so, Jihoon told him that that was the basic melody for the first page, and wanted him to try and sing along (no pressure, of course, but Jihoon had said it with such nonchalance that Seungkwan felt his spite rising through the roof). So Seungkwan didn't back down from the challenge - he tried remembering exactly what it was that Jihoon had played, and followed the music sheet carefully. 

So maybe he did improvise some stuff - things like sharps instead of naturals, longer pauses or shorter ones. Jihoon only raised an eyebrow carefully, but said nothing. And then he did the same for another twenty minutes.

All in all, Seungkwan feels his face buzzing, and something like adrenaline rush through him. He feels like he's learnt quite a lot from just half an hour already - and there's something always keeping him on his toes. It's probably also because the songs are really good. When Seungkwan says so, Jihoon quirks the briefest of smiles. 

"Yeah, I wrote them," Jihoon say like it's nothing.

But it is something, and they both know it. 

"Why are you here," Seungkwan finally asks. He gestures vaguely at the school. "You're talented, and I mean, Pledis isn't exactly South Korea Arts University."

Jihoon stares him down. "We may not be the best, but," and here, he looks in Jeonghan's direction. "We have the best."

Seungkwan follows his gaze to an unaware Jeonghan who is looking through more sheets of papers. "Huh."

"You're good. You'll need some polishing, but you fit," Jihoon continues, glancing at the clock on his desk. "It would be a shame if you weren't the one to sing it."

Seungkwan blinks, eyes widening in wonder. That's the highest form of praise he thinks he'll ever receive. No, he can't think this way - he'll get even better and continue to evolve. And the only way to do that, might just be this. Pledis.

"Yeah, I'll do it."

Jeonghan looks up over at them, and smiles slyly. "Time to eat, Jihoon. Don't skip lunch."


Boo Seungkwan is sold

He enters Pledis, despite questioning glances from his mother and sister alike. But he knows he has a promise to keep, and a will to challenge. He works hard at his first song, and makes sure he knows everyone in school. The latter is more of a habit than anything malicious or calculating; Seungkwan is good with people, and he's easily likeable. By the first semester, he's gotten to know the seniors who hang out around Jihoon's crib (or 'studio,' Jihoon says coldly): there's Jeonghan, Seokmin, Joshua, Soonyoung and Dino (both dance majors), and Wonwoo who is doing a double degree in literature and art. They're all really fun to be around, and they're always so inspired one way or the other that Seungkwan feels the need to work even harder to keep up. What he notices, however, is that though there are quiet and noisy personalities in the group, Jeonghan's always more reserved. Sure, he'll flit about and joke around with everyone, but sometimes Seungkwan notices that Jeonghan's just in a corner, observing, or texting on his phone. 

There's also that one time, when he sees Jeonghan talking to two international students from China - Seungkwan racks his brain and flips through an internal contact list before realising they're Junhui and Minghao who are in international relations and biology respectively. He's never seen them in any circles - as far as he knows, they've just been orbiting around each other mostly, sometimes talking to other international students, but always as a unit. Seeing Jeonghan fit carefully in between the two like he's been there all along is a sight to behold, but then again Jeonghan's really good with people in general. 

See, what Seokmin once warned about the music rooms being disputed territory is in actuality, a fact. Seungkwan would go to the music rooms in hopes of getting an assignment down, only to see those incorrigible clarinets tearing the place down with their musical squeals. But once Jeonghan appeared, everything would fall neatly into place, and Seungkwan would have his allocated slot while the clarinets streamed out and apologised to both him and Jeonghan for staying longer than their booking. 

Jeonghan's also a good listener - he takes great care of everyone who's an art major (who cares about those soulless science kids!) and can even coax the all-mighty, fearsome Jihoon into coming out of his dungeon to eat some wraps. Seungkwan feels good about Jeonghan, and every time he casts a forlorn look upwards in longing for the precious, soundproof facilities at SKAU, he thinks of how meeting Jeonghan brought him to Jihoon, and Pledis, and all the fun he's having with experimenting with his vocal technique. 


One thing Seungkwan forgets to account for, however, is the mysterious 'Vernon' who doles out rap lyrics like they cost nothing. Seungkwan's extensive network of friends can only tell him that: 1) Vernon is a Computing Major, 2) Vernon likes to rap (sheesh, as if it wasn't obvious), and 3) Vernon barely talks to anyone. A fourth, disputable point is that he's cute - Seungkwan'll reserve all judgement until he gets to see the boy for himself.

And boy, does he see it. 

Okay, he's cute, and he looks like that one actor from Titanic, but so what? Seungkwan has higher standards, and more important goals to meet (read: Jihoon's standards). Also, that Vernon kid is really awkward, and looks like he's choked up on something every time he sees Seungkwan. His nose scrunches up and he grins far too widely, eyes curving into a cute and somehow aesthetically pleasing eyesmile - and okay, maybe Seungkwan thinks he's cute, and perhaps they've exchanged numbers, but anyway! The point is, the point is...

"Mm, that does sound like a problem, Seungkwannie," Jeonghan says, eyes twinkling with mischief. "Have you tried asking him out?"

"Yes, it's so troublng - wait! I - no! Why would I ask him out?" he yells back, miffed that Jeonghan is now bent over, laughing. "Jeonghan! This isn't funny!"

Jeonghan pats him on the shoulder. "I don't know much about Vernon, but he seems like he could use a friend. Why don't you ask him to stay for lunch with us?"

Seungkwan pouts, but agrees, remembering the way Vernon literally buries himself in his headphones upon exiting Jihoon's dungeon and out through the art block's front doors. It's like he doesn't want to speak to anyone, but also like he doesn't realy know how. Jeonghan, peering down at Seungkwan's reluctance, says gently,

"You might understand the song better too if you ask the lyricist directly."

Seungkwan nods again - he'll kill two birds with one stone! Yes, that's a good plan! Behind him, Jeonghan tries not to break into laughter.


So the thing with Vernon is kind of on-and-off, much like the art department's lightbulbs and electricity supply. Seungkwan is sighing over a vague reply on his phone when he sees Jeonghan, a little ruffled up and dazed, walking into Jihoon's studio. Joshua looks up too, his greeting transforming into a look of concern. Huh, so this musn't be a regular thing then. Seungkwan puts his phone down, and really looks at Jeonghan.

"What happened to your jeans?" Seungkwan wails. They'd bought them together as a matching set for the vocalists. "What's that orange-"

Jeonghan snaps out of it quickly, and glances down. "Oh, I bumped into someone."

Joshua notices Jeonghan's flustered appearance. "Who was it?"

"Oh," Jeonghan says again, sitting down and looking at the orange bit on his knee. "It's a plaster."

"Naruto?" Seungkwan shrieks. "Naruto?"

Jihoon pops his head out from behind the door. "Did someone say-"

"Naruto?" Seokmin's head pops up above Jihoon's in the doorway. 

Joshua, mirthful, says, "So, did you get a number?"

This time, Jeonghan starts to stammer, "W-what number? I just bumped into a really good-looking dude on the way back from Admins-"

"Ooh, he's 'good-looking'," Chan coos, glad to be out of the limelight for once. "What's he like? Is he in arts too?"

Jeonghan shakes his head. "No, I would have known if he were in arts. He's probably in sports though."

"Ooh, muscular," Seokmin says gleefully. "Does he have a name?"

Jeonghan shoots Seokmin a look, "I didn't get his name. Look, why is everyone crowding around me now?"

"Because Jeonghan's blushing!" Chan says in a sing-song voice, earning him a knock on the head. "Oww!"

"Any chance you'll see him again?" Joshua teases.

"I, uh, no?" Jeonghan glances over at Jihoon pleadingly. "Can we please get back to recording?"

Seungkwan, more than glad for the opportunity to tease Jeonghan, snakes an arm around his waist. "I, Boo Seungkwan, know everyone on campus! Throw us a bone here, Jeonghannie. I'll help you find his name, phone number, horoscope and blood type in a week- no, three days!"

Jeonghan sighs, but not before relenting, "Okay, so he's got this gummy smile, and long lashes and, um."

"Long lashes," Jihoon echoes. "Sounds like a camel."

Jeonghan flushes again, but nods in agreement. He doesn't lose the grin on his face throughout the day.