take five

pretty much

INT. A WORLD OF CHEESE. SUNDAY. MORNING.

angel [10:04am]: heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

angel [10:04am]: tumblr.inline.10928sd4.gif

angel [10:04am]: cheol i know u read my message

SCOUPS [10:05am]: new phone hoo dis

angel [10:05am]: selfie2910.jpg

SCOUPS [10:05am]: really

SCOUPS [10:05am]: 'angel'?

angel [10:05am]: 'SCOUPS'?

SCOUPS [10:06am]: touche

angel [10:06am]: so wat r u doing

SCOUPS [10:06am]: studying

SCOUPS [10:06am]: supposedly

angel [10:07am]: NERD

angel [10:07am]: r u looking for anything

angel [10:07am]: bc i can either tell u its location

angel [10:08am]: or how fast its moving

SCOUPS [10:09am]: that,,, was surprisingly good

angel [10:09am]: ive been waiting to use that

SCOUPS [10:09am]: are you doing math now?

SCOUPS [10:09am]: because you've worked out the perfect golden ratio

SCOUPS [10:10am]: ok that was bad

angel [10:11am]: what a smooth criminal

angel [10:11am]: there goes my heart

SCOUPS [10:12am]: i learnt from the best 

SCOUPS [10:12am]: so what's up

angel [10:14am]: nothing 

angel [10:14am]: just wanted to talk to my favourite camel :p

SCOUPS [10:15am]: ................

angel [10:15am]: sorry tht was m ean

SCOUPS [10:15am]: how many camels do u know besides me

angel [10:16am]: oh. 

angel [10:16am]: you're not mad?

SCOUPS [10:16am]: i am a physics student

SCOUPS [10:16am]: with a caller id like 'SCOUPS'

SCOUPS [10:16am]: ive tried donating my dignity to red cross only to be rejected

angel [10:17am]: HAHAHHAA point taken

SCOUPS [10:17am]: so spill

SCOUPS [10:17am]: how many other camels do u know

angel [10:18am]: .........

angel [10:18am]: thats a trick question

SCOUPS [10:18am]: smart one

angel [10:19am]: but ur the only camel in my eye ;)))


INT. REAL-WORLD. LIBRARY. SUNDAY. MORNING.

Seungcheol slams his head into the table, and earns a disgruntled sigh from Vernon. An embarrassing grin is stuck permanently to his face, and he can't help the strange, lightheaded bubbly feeling that's spreading across his chest. He's also pretty sure that his face is a neon shade of 'I'm so head-over-heels for a girl I've just met'. Seungcheol bites his lip, hard, and struggles to sit upright once more.

Vernon switches his highlighter for a fountain pen. "So. Which one is it?"

He's privy to all of Seungcheol's romantic drama, and Seungcheol has no doubts that Mingyu's already told him all about last night. "Which one?"

Vernon shrugs, barely looking up from his meticulously written notes. "Is it the girl or the guy?"

"Um, it's Jeongah," Seungcheol whispers. 

"Huh," is what Vernon says. 

Seungcheol looks down at his papers, and conveniently slides an application form into the depths of his physics textbook. His phone stutters a rhythm again in his pocket, earning a lazy stare from Vernon.

angel [10:21am]: cheolllllllll

angel [10:22am]: cheol? r u there

angel [10:22am]: yo r u stuck in a box

SCOUPS [10:22am]: sorry was talking to a friend

angel [10:23am]: hmph

angel [10:23am]: is she prettier than me

SCOUPS [10:24am]: no

angel [10:24am]: you hesitated!

SCOUPS [10:25am]: sorry

SCOUPS [10:25am]: it's just that unlike you

SCOUPS [10:25am]: i dont have a degree in arts appreciation

angel [10:28am]: you NERD

SCOUPS [10:28am]: takes one to know one :p


INT. CAMPUS QUADRANGLE. WEDNESDAY. NIGHT.

For some reason, Seungcheol finds himself lying flat in the middle of the quadrangle watching the sky. It's a relatively cloudless night, and the moon is a gaping illuminated circle staring down at him. All things considered, it's pretty peaceful - there's no hotblooded hipster his guitar to completion, and definitely no drunk fraternity bros stumbling about. Seungcheol gazes back into the suffocating vision of his future, and sighs. 

He shouldn't be here - he should be back at the dorm listening to Mingyu gush over Wonwoo, or Wonwoo slander Another Dead White Poet while busting out his double degree, or even comment on the song Vernon's listening to just by the rhythmn he taps out with his pen. Those familiar actions and reactions suddenly seem so far away as Seungcheol confronts the expanse of empty blue in front of him. 

"It's just space," he says softly, and then, with more resentment, "you're just space."

"Last I checked, I was definitely solid," someone says from above him.

It's Jeonghan. Seungcheol forgets to be mad and irrationally annoyed with the sky. "What's the matter?"

Jeonghan pouts. "I was going to use that one."

He sets his bag down, and sprawls next to Seungcheol without hesitation. Seungcheol shifts to the right to make space in the bare minimum, and Jeonghan doesn't complain. Instead, he's pressed up to Seungcheol's side, fingers finding a home in Seungcheol's warmer ones. 

"You're always cold," Seungcheol says. 

"Warm me up," Jeonghan says with a smile, and Seungcheol is suddenly reminded of Jeongah.

Come to think of it, the two are pretty similar - first, there's the name, then there's the fact that they're around same height, as well as the fact that their voices linger on the same register - silky without running the risk of being saccharine. But that's not possible - where Jeonghan is soft and sensitive, Jeongah is sharp and quick to banter. Seungcheol glances over to find the wide, limitless sky shimmering in Jeonghan's eyes, and feels a pang of something. He's so cohesively beautiful - the kind that needs no acknowledgement because it just is.Seungcheol thinks he might cry over such a pretty being.

Jeonghan's thumb runs sneakily across Seungcheol's knuckles, and Seungcheol can feel his pulse choking under his ribs. He's so, so unfair.

"Cheol," Jeonghan says, and Seungcheol wants to hear that over and over again. "What are you thinking of?"

"You," Seungcheol wants to leave it at that, but Jeonghan's eyes narrow. "...know what I said about changing majors?"

Jeonghan squeezes in affirmation.

"Mm, well, I met up with a senior that Wonwoo introduced me to," Seungcheol says. "And it was quite helpful, especially with all the administrative stuff."

Jeonghan huddles in closer. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Seungcheol says, suddenly breathless. "Yeah, but. I don't know."

There it is - Seungcheol feels so vulnerable and uncertain, and admitting it to Jeonghan feels like a riskier move than it should be. He hadn't known then, he doesn't know now, and saying so seems like an admission of failure. With this, he's back at square one, and he has to work to figure himself out all over again. 

Jeonghan softens his gaze, and reaches out pat Seungcheol's cheek. "That's okay."

"It isn't. What if I'm just under stress and trying to opt out of things?"

"Do you think you are?" 

Seungcheol frowns, and Jeonghan's gentle fingers rush to soothe the lines on his forehead. "What does it matter what I think?"

"Tsk." The touch turns into a light smack. "Of course it does - you're the subject of this conversation. Not physics, not sports education. You're not made to fit majors; it's the other way around."

"But what if I'm just giving up?" Seungcheol says. "What if I regret it later?"

"What if you keep regretting?" Jeonghan shoots back. "Can you remember why you took Physics in the first place?"

Seungcheol pauses. "Well, I was pretty good at Math in high school."

"I'll bet you were also 'pretty good' at sports?" that earns a grudging nod from Seungcheol. "Then can you tell me one instance where you felt like taking Physics was the right thing for you? I'm not talking about fabled job prospects, or prestige or whatever."

Seungcheol pauses again, scrunching up his nose. All he's wanted to do the past semester was to sleep in Physics lectures. Jeonghan gives him a knowing look, and taps his nose twice.

"See?" Jeonghan murmurs into Seungcheol's shoulder. "I can't promise that you'll be having the time of your life in Sports Education, but you clearly aren't happy now. What's wrong with doing what is right for you?"

Seungcheol squeezes Jeonghan's hand, and shifts forward to kiss Jeonghan's head. "Yeah. Why're you so wise?"

"It's always easier for those uninvolved," Jeonghan says, and then, peering up at Seungcheol from beneath his lashes, continues, "this is nice."

Seungcheol smiles - it's always so easy to smile with Jeonghan like this. "It is - you're always helping me though."

"I should start charging," Jeonghan mumbles, eyes wide and sparkling. "Eight sheep and a cow, was it?"

A strong sense of deja vu hits Seungcheol, but before he can figure out what that means, he finds himself staring at Jeonghan's eyes - he's got double eyelids, and his eyelashes are really long and fine. And his irises - a dark brown with flecks of gold or bronze. Seungcheol's sighs, wary of breaking the silence that this closeness has brought them. His gaze travels down Jeonghan's dewy cheek and falters at the sight of a pink tongue hastily swiping across his upper lip. Chapped.

Carefully, Seungcheol leans in, and Jeonghan's eyes flutter shut.

"I'M A BARBIE GIRL, IN A BARBIE WORLD!" 

Seungcheol jolts and sits up, fumbling for his phone. "Mingyu. You better have a good reason for calling."

"Oh hey Scoups!" Mingyu's detestable enthusiasm has Seungcheol pressing a hand to his forehead. "Where are you? You didn't come with us for dinner, so I thought-"

"I'm at the quadrangle, Mingyu," Seungcheol pinches the bridge of his nose. 

"Are you coming back soon?" Mingyu says testily.

"... What did you do now?"

"No, it's just, I might have tried to make s'mores, and you know how your room has the best ventilation out of all of us-"

Seungcheol exhales slowly, and counts to ten in his mind. 

There's a shuffling noise, and Wonwoo's unapologetic baritone can be heard. "He set your physics notes on fire, essentially."

Jeonghan's sitting up now, a soothing hand on Seungcheol's shoulder. Seungcheol can't help but laugh as he promises hell and retribution for Mingyu once he returns. At Jeonghan's flushed and confused look, Seungcheol is reminded of what almost transpired, and awkwardly relates the incident.

"You should go back," Jeonghan says slowly, playing with Seungcheol's index finger. 

"Just now," Seungcheol says, but feels too nervous to continue.

"Hey," Jeonghan looks up at him. "If it's alright, I want to talk to you about it properly... tomorrow? We can get coffee."

Seungcheol nods, and relaxes at the sight of Jeonghan's moonlit grin. Jeonghan presses a kiss to Seungcheol's cheek again, lingering a little longer than expected. As he leaves, Seungcheol buries his face into his hands, and groans at the fusion of happiness and irritation coursing through him. Good riddance, Mingyu. Talk about timing. But what happened there was definitely - Jeonghan was definitely going to kiss him, right? Seungcheol's not dreaming? He pinches himself, and winces. The vibrating phone pulls him back into annoyance, and he mutters a silent curse at the thought of Mingyu destroying his entire room.

What he sees, however, is slightly more devastating.

angel [11:43pm]: good night xx