barriers broken

flowers with the colours of happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We just shifted here," Sojung explained as the two children are resting after the activity. 

"I see," Yerin smiled, panting. 

"Can I ask about your age?" Yerin for a moment, unconsciously had let her curiosity get the better of her. Realising this, she continued, "I'm turning twenty-six in August," getting a little jittery. 

Sojung turned swiftly, and she seemed to be taken aback. "I'm a year older then," she replied after regaining her composure. 

The smile on Sojung's face slowly faded away as an unwelcome silence embraced them. Yerin noticed the change in her expression, while her eyes remained on the two children whom her sister Yewon was trying to entertain. Yerin followed them and turned to look at the children. 

"What's your name?" Yewon asked, facing the older girl.

"Eunha," the child softly replied, unleashing a shy smile. "I'm Jung Eunbi. She's Hwang Eunbi," the child continued with the same bashful tone, pointing to the younger one. 

"I'm ShinB," the girl introduced as Hwang Eunbi cheerfully introduced herself, standing up from the ground. 

As Yerin watched the scene, a smile formed in her lips without her knowing, before a thought then occurred in her head: Sojung ssi is just a year older than me, but she has two kids? Yerin then dropped her head to see Sojung's bare fingers. And she isn't married? 

Yewon and Yerin then realised: the children had different surnames. 

"You must be having questions, are you not?" Sojung enquired with a hardened expression, her lips pursed, eyelids trembling. 

"Questions?" Yerin pretended to look confused, though she was very much afraid inside that the pretense would be seen through. 

"People look at me weirdly when I bring two children around without wearing any ring around my finger," Sojung bitterly revealed. 

"It's okay," Yerin warmly replied, to Sojung's surprise. "By the way, can I see the book you were reading?"

Sojung froze on the spot, taken aback by the sudden change in topic. She blinked and looked straight at Yerin before reading the words in her mind that her brain had registered earlier. 

"Sure," she replied, almost stumbling, while bending down to the bench and picking the book up from where she had left it behind. Her unsteady hands handed the book over to Yerin, very much still shaken from the earlier situation. Her thoughts lingered on Yerin's two words: "It's okay," she watched Yerin say again within her own mind. An unfamiliar warmth entered her heart; she knew from then on that Yerin was no ordinary person.

"You were reading?" Yewon asked and turned to the older women, partly with an expecting tone. 

Confused, Sojung answered, "Yes?"

"No wonder," Yewon nodded her head and laughed, turning to give

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter