an encounter

flowers with the colours of happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time she met her was a spring day. Flowers were in full bloom, and Yerin couldn't deny that she was as beautiful- if not more than the blossoming pink on the trees and yellow in the bushes around her. Yerin had just gone out because her sister, Yewon, was insistent that she did not coop herself at home every weekend like the bookworm she was. 

The woman was quietly reading on a bench in the park near her home. Yerin had wondered why would anyone choose a park to read. A park, of all places, had the silence of nature polluted by the noise of people. Yerin would understand if one would like to simultaneously enjoy the gift of nature along with a wonderful book, but she did not understand the choice of a park. 

Yerin approached the woman without any hesitation. "May I have a seat here?"

The woman responded with a smile that for a moment caused Yerin to stop breathing. "Sure," she said, a tone with warmth that reminded Yerin that it was spring. 

Yerin smiled in return and sat beside her, "Thank you."

"Unnie! Water," a child ran towards them, going straight for the woman beside her. 

Yerin watched as she turned to get a water bottle from her handbag, with the unfaltering smile. 

"Get Eunha to come and drink water too," she instructed as the child took a few sips. 

"Unnie, will you play with me?" the child instead, ignored her guardian's words and turned towards Yerin with a request, taking her aback. 

"Me?" Yerin asked with round, confused eyes. 

"ShinB yah, don't disturb this unnie," the woman beside her chided the child, who reacted with reluctant eyes. "Where's Eunha? Can't you play with Eunha?"

"Eunha unnie is lazy!" the child exclaimed with much conviction that amused the two adults. The women turned to the field and saw a little girl squatting low, her tiny hands shielding her eyes from the sun. Yerin couldn't help but chuckle at the adorable sight. 

"Can you play with us? With me and Eunha unnie?" the child was persistent. Slowly, her lips dropped and curved into a frown. 

Yerin hated moving around, but she couldn't resist seeing the face of a broken innocent heart. "I'll play with you, ShinB yah," Yerin smiled and softly said, "is that your name?"

The smile on the child's face was immediately recovered. "Yay! Unnie will play with us!" the girl jumped and turned around shouting, where they saw another young girl in the field. 

"ShinB

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter