Nothing but a toy

Sugar Mama
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Okay, quick thank you those of you who read this last chapter. I will try to end this story soon, and be done with this sooner rather than later. Thanks, and enjoy if you can.


 

Joohyun likes to pride herself on how shrewd of a businesswoman she was. She can usually spot a lie in moments. She can call someone’s bluff, and can tell when a person is nervous within their body language. The brunette knew almost immediately Seulgi was hiding something. Only whenever she asked the younger girl would deny this.

 

“I’m just busy with work and school, Hyunnie. Please don’t worry.”

 

The only problem with Seulgi telling her not to worry is that it makes her do just that. Joohyun has always been able to follow certain cues, and if Seulgi isn’t hiding something from her, then she should question her field of work. Joohyun isn’t the only one who could see there was an issue with Seulgi. As her best friend, Seungwan has known her for a long time. She knew almost immediately the dark-haired girl was worried. That’s why she took her out to lunch after class, so they could talk.

 

“Hey, Seul. How’s it going? I feel like I haven’t seen you in awhile.”

 

“Yeah, I’ve been busy. How are you, Wan?”

 

“I’m fine, but you don’t seem to be. You missed a few of our hangouts with Yeri and Joy. They’re worried too.”

 

The last thing Seulgi wants to do is worry anyone, not Joohyun, and not her friends either. The monolid girl just knows she has to handle this on her own. She can’t expect for Joohyun to handle all of her problems. Ms. Kim is insistent on talking to her, and Seulgi plans to make sure that will happen. She gives Seungwan a bright smile, and hope she’s at least being somewhat convincing.

 

“I’m fine, Wan. I’ve had work and school, plus things I’m doing with dance club, and art club too.

 

“That’s true,” her best friend nods. She herself has extracurricular activities she’s also apart of as well.

At the same time she is sure Seulgi isn’t okay at all. She doesn’t want to pressure her to talk, but she does want her to know she always has the option to talk to her.

 

“Hey, whatever it is you think you can’t tell me. You know I’m here for you whenever you need.”

 

“I do know, thanks Wan.”

 

The days were going so fast and before Seulgi knew it was Thursday. The only real issue would be leaving, and also losing the people Joohyun has trailing her. Her girlfriend seems to be taking the day off of all days. It makes it harder for her to leave so easily, as normally she and Joohyun spend whatever off days together. The older woman is currently in the kitchen and seems to be in the process of making lunch for them. Seulgi has talked to Taeyeon again since calling her. They are supposed to meet around 3 today, and she has the directions to her record company where’s she’s been asked to meet.

 

She is feeling nervous now more than ever. From the way Joohyun talks about her, it’s with such disgust and that worries Seulgi. Her girlfriend explained how she’s always been wary of Taeyeon for years, but she doesn’t explain more. The raven has a feeling there’s something more. Perhaps even a direct incident that Joohyun refuses to talk about. Seulgi understands somewhat because there is a lot of her business the older woman can’t or doesn’t want to share with her.

 

The younger girl is dressed and ready to go. She’s wearing a dark sweater and jeans. It’s her hope that she looks casual enough to suggest she needs to go to her school. She even uses one of her messenger bags as well. Now to come up with some sort of excuse that’s believable. She steps out of the bedroom and is making her way through the living room. Joohyun is busy in the kitchen and sure it would be somewhat easy to just slip out without saying anything. That doesn't feel right to do, so she walks into the living room without trying to hide anything.

 

Joohyun happens to be turning around at the exact moment she sees Seulgi. Her girlfriend is dressed instead of just in casual clothes she wears around the house. Joohyun looks confused by what she’s seeing. This is their usual time to catch up and be together when they both have the time off. That time is usually spent either at home binge watching movies and eating a lot of junk food, or even going out somewhere if Seulgi tempts her and gets her out.

 

“Hey, where are you off to?” The brunette wonders. It looks to her that Seulgi is heading to school. She knows today is a day where she doesn’t have class, or to be working at the cafe.

 

“Hi, Hyun. I need to go into art club. The president needs my help.”

 

“Oh,” Joohyun nods hesitantly. It sure is a possible excuse as to why Seulgi needs to leave. She just doesn’t believe her. What she hopes is for Seulgi to tell her what’s happening. She isn’t trying to put pressure all Joohyun wants is for her to naturally tell her the truth.

 

“I shouldn’t be long. We’ll still have time to spend together later.”

 

“Seul, baby, is everything okay?”

 

Seulgi sees what she’s trying to do. Joohyun is trying to give her the chance to tell her what’s going on, without applying any unnecessary pressure. The monolid girl understands, and she knows in reality she should just say. She just doesn’t want for her to be upset.

 

“Yes, everything is fine. The semester is ending soon, and you know how hectic it can be.”

 

“I do, Seul…” the older woman stops. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Hyun.”

 

“I’ll see you later then?”

 

“Yea, I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

 

Joohyun watches her go and feels disappointed by what happened. She had hoped Seulgi would have just been honest, but that makes her sure whatever it is must be something hard for her to discuss.

 

“You don’t need to hide things from me, Seul.” The brunette thinks to herself. They’re supposed to be a couple, a team, and partners. They should be able to tell each other anything. The businesswoman simply decides to wait for her, and get her to talk when she does return. It wasn’t easy for Seulgi trying to convince the main person watching her that it wasn’t necessary at the moment. The man looked hesitant to leave, but she assured him Joohyun knew about her going off on her own.

 

“Ms. Kang, I don’t know…” he trails off nervously. He knows how his boss can be when she expects orders followed. Then again this is his boss’s girlfriend. She is closer to her and would have probably made sure everything is fine.

 

“It’s fine, don’t worry.” Seulgi smiles. “Hey, I can call you if I need you, right?”

 

“Yes, of course, Ms. Kang.”

 

“Thank you,” She nods and continues to her car and drives away. She is hoping to at least find out why Ms. Kim is such a sore spot to her girlfriend. It’s not so easy because as soon as she arrives. Taeyeon greets her warmly and offers her tea to start.

 

“Seulgi I’m glad you’re finally here. What do you think so far?”

 

It’s a nice building, more than nice actually. Seulgi hasn’t been to a nicer building other than how Joohyun’s company looks. It’s so sophisticated with a lot of blue coloring she notices, glass elevators, and state of the art music equipment.

 

“It’s a beautiful building, thank you for inviting me, Ms. Kim.”

 

“Call me Taeyeon, anyway please sit. I’ve honestly wanted to hear you sing for awhile now, so whenever you’re ready please sing to me a song of your choosing.”

 

It feels like any audition so far. Seulgi sings for her and Taeyeon looks intently as if searching for something in her voice. Then after she finishes Seulgi expects to be told to go. It’s not like she has been practicing her singing as much as she does with her drawing, or even dancing. What happens next is surprising. Taeyeon moves closer to her and reaches for one of her hands. Seulgi tries not to look too uncomfortable, and keeps her face neutral.

 

“Do you remember when I said you reminded me of myself?”

 

“I do,” Seulgi nods.

 

“You’re hesitating. I know there is your true voice waiting to shine. Seulgi-yah, sing for me one more time, but seriously.”

 

Seulgi is unsure why Taeyeon believes she’s not being serious. She does stand up again and sings with a different song entirely. She notices the way Taeyeon is looking at her with a different expression from what looked neutral at first. Whatever she does this time seems to be more what the record owner wanted to see.

 

“That’s what I mean, were you thinking of something or someone just now?”

 

“No,” Seulgi denies. “I don’t know why it is you feel we’re similar, but…”

 

“You remind me of myself when I was your age. I wasn’t doing what I loved either then, and just following what my parents wanted for me. You are being hindered, and trapped like a caged bird. Have you not asked yourself what do you really want from your life, or are you just content with being Joohyun’s precious bird she must protect.”


 

The way she speaks startles Seulgi for a moment. What the older dark-haired woman is saying doesn’t make any sense. Joohyun doesn’t hinder or, nor does she keep her locked in some cage as if she needs to be protected. Joohyun cares about her and her future. She wants for her to go for her dreams whatever they might be.

 

“Ms. Kim?”

 

“Taeyeon, pretty girl.”

 

“Taeyeon, with all due respect you don’t know her like I do. She doesn’t hinder me, Joohyun loves me, and treats me very well.”

 

“You’re just as good as being her pet, Seulgi-yah. You don’t see it now, but you will. You are like a possession for her. If you weren’t so terrified of her reactions to our meeting, why did you wait so long to meet me, if you’re not afraid of her in some way?”

 

“I’m not afraid of her. Joohyun is one of the best people I’ve ever met. She is rich, but she doesn’t act like it. She cares about all the people who work for her, and she wouldn’t hesitate to help someone if they needed. I just don’t understand where all this is coming from, and why you two seem to hate each other.”

 

Taeyeon lets out an amused laugh, and Seulgi just turns to her in question. What is so funny?

 

“Oh, sweetie, are you here hoping to fix whatever issues you think Joohyun and I have. Sweet girl, but there’s no need. I’m only interested in helping you. You don’t need to be a kept pet, Seulgi. You can shine and stand on your own. I can help you do this.”

 

“I…” Seulgi has no idea where to even begin tackling what was just said to her. Surely, there must be something more than a business rivalry.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter