Moonsong

Vanya Sulie (Fair Winds)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonsong

 

Mingyu gripped his sword tightly. He missed them, there were no signs of the prince and his captors when he arrived at the ruins. The boy hid himself  nearby, afraid that he will be punished if he showed his face. The captain screamed in frustration and the boy cowered behind a tree. He failed his prince, Mingyu thought horribly.

"Soonyoung, get back to the city now, find Eunwoo and tell him to execute my orders. Be careful." Mingyu ordered, now he has to track them before its too late. Its almost dark and he had to find a path quickly, he must go deep inside the unfamiliar forest.

The boy scurried away, leaving their provisions to him. Mingyu decided to go northeast, the cold air seeped into his armor and a chill ran down on his spine. He lets out a misty breath and stared on ahead towards the dark and gloomy woods.


-


Seungcheol jolts awake, focusing his eyes on his surroundings, he swayed a little when his horse, the one he was currently riding, stepped on tree roots. They seem to be going uphill.

'I'm being held captive. Right.' the prince thought. 

"A nice nap I presume?" Seungkwan appeared on his side. He reaches out to pet the horse. "Quel roch, Dawnshade."

Seungcheol avoided his antlers, he could easily impale someone with those horns, also, how could he move around with that thing stuck in his head?

"That is his name by the way, Dawnshade. And this boy is Clearwind, my old friend." he smiled then ruffled the horse's mane. "I figured you'd like to know it since you are quite particular about names earlier."

"Not really, I'm just merely buying myself time to think on how to escape and injure the people who's threatening my life, that's all." Seungcheol shrugged, his hands are bound and tied to the reigns.

"I don't think you'll go far, dear prince, I'm sorry." Seungkwan winced. It's the first time Seungcheol saw pessimism in his face, he was always smiling and being all cheery earlier.

"Really? Why is that?" the prince challenged. 

"They are the descendants of the Astald Ohtar, the greatest fighters of the eldar. They defeated your human king during the war of the land. I advise not to antagonize them, especially Jihoon. He's the lord of Lilh Edhil for a reason." Seungkwan said with a sullen face. The prince lifts his tightly bound hands, showing it to the other, obviously he won't be fighting anyone anytime soon.

He looked around and he saw Jihoon riding at the farthest end of the troop. He's still glaring at him. Seungcheol thought its best to heed Seungkwan's forewarning, this Jihoon definitely looks like a walking trouble.

"About the names, why do you have human names?" Seungcheol asked, thinking it may take a while before they reach their destination, might as well learn more about these creatures.

Seungkwan beamed at him.

"The humans gave it to the elves. They used to exchange knowledge once, or I'd say they used to teach the humans once. The elves cherishes their real names because it was the first thing that was bestowed to them by their parents and they will only share it with their spouse after their marriage. Sometimes it is given as a sign of devotion." Seungkwan like usual, is smiling, offering a waterskin which the prince gladly took.

"The elves imparted vast knowledge to your kin, arts, crafts and even battle skills. However, since the elves did not want to share their names, it became really hard for the humans to communicate with them, they either called them my lord or my lady, imagine the confusion it created." he chuckled.

"The humans flourished, the elves granted them lands to farm and raise livestocks. They had great relationship back then. That is until the humans become greedy and took the elven lands forcibly." Seungkwan's face fell. Seungcheol used to think the lands was rightfully theirs, the people and the royals who owns them. Apparently there was another side of their rich history.

"I'm sorry." The prince breathed, ashamed of the wrong doings of his ancestors.

"Oh young prince, it's not your fault." Seungkwan reassured him.

When the breeze picks up the troop suddenly halted, there were voices drifting in the wind. It started like a whisper, like the one he heard at the castle back in the capital, it grew louder and sounded like a beautiful chorus, singing in the dark. He glanced around but he couldn't see anything, Jihoon and his men appears to be unbothered by it, even the horses are oddly calm.

Then out of the shadows he saw it, a procession of elves. Their banners waving softly. As they passed, the once dark and gloomy forest opened and the clouds drifted away, the moon is shining down on them. Seungcheol was captivated by their voice, he looked at Seungkwan and he was smiling gently at him. He touched his forehead with his fingertips and to his chest, then pointing at the direction of the elves. The rest of Jihoon's soldiers did the same.

The prince isn't sure why but he felt moved.

"Where are they going?" Seungcheol whispered, afraid he'll ruin the solemn moment.

"It is the fallrite festival, the changing of the seasons. They are Ithil'Quessir, the moon elves. There's a gathering in Nythathyr to welcome Lunara, the Lady of Lumina." Jihoon informed, the prince was startled when he talked. When did he get here?

"We rest here my lord, I sent Byungchan ahead to notify Haethor. We arrive tomorrow at noon." Jihoon ordered his men to help Seungcheol down the horse. It must be close to midnight.

"Oh thank you Jihoon, good lad." Seungkwan stretched out his back. "I really dont fancy riding horses."

Seungcheol gave him a look, "What do you fancy?" 

"I'm a deer, i can move around on my own." Seungkwan shrugged his shoulders.

"Right." the prince mused.


-


It's the eve of the fallrite festival and all of the elves are in celebratory mood. Wines aged for decades are being consumed by the barrel. It is another year of bountiful harvest for the eldar so a sacred ritual is being prepared carefully by the Anoron'Quessir, the sunrise elves, to give thanks to their god, Helion.

Amidst the chaos of the preparations, a servant rushed to reach the lord's halls.

"Amin heru!" (My lord!) 

"Mani naa ta?" (What is it?) his head turned slightly. He was carefully checking the medallions they created for the festival. It has to be perfect for tomorrow. 

"A hawk bears news my lord. Its the caravan heading to Harthyr, they said they have been attacked." he said urgently.

The man faced the servant. "Humans?" his eyebrows furrowed. 

"No my lord. They took the path near the abandoned forest, nobody knew what attacked them. They didn't took any of the offerings but some people went missing."

"Where is Kyungil?"

The servant looked down, face dimming before answering him, "He perished my lord." 

The man closed his eyes tightly.


-


The morning sun is gleaming bright when the prince woke up the next day, Seungkwan greets him and cheerfully told him that it was him who asked Jihoon to let him sleep in. He dropped a bag of fresh berries in Seungcheol's lap.

"Breakfast. I gathered them myself. Eat." he steered his horse next to Jihoon's. They seem to be talking about something but Seungcheol couldn't bring himself to care, he is strangely worn out. The prince opened the bag and ate the berries.

He gathered the reigns closely, trusting his horse wouldn't let him fall. The prince shut his eyes, he heard Seungkwan and Jihoon talking about some kind of spell that weighs down on humans in these woods. It must be the reason why he is unusually tired. Seungcheol would have protested but he can't even open his eyes.

"Something brought him in the ruins, Jihoon. He bears the light of the eldar, you are aware of it too." Seungkwan said in a hushed tone, glancing at the slumbering prince. He knew Jihoon would plead to execute the human prince once they reach Haethor.

"I don't trust him." Jihoon admitted.

"I'm sure you don't. If i know someone who despise humans more than anyone, it's you. But he's not the one responsible for her death Jihoon, you know this." Seungkwan replied, trying to convince the other. 

"I know. But I still don't trust him." Jihoon said with unfaltering steel gaze.

Seungkwan sighed, dread slowly crept up in his mind. 

They arrived in Haethor an hour past noon, stopping at the entrance of the city. Seungkwan went first and the guards gave them passage. They wait by the stairs and Se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter