Woodland Tales

Vanya Sulie (Fair Winds)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Woodland Tales

 


Tucked away in the farthest territory of the realm lies the high city of Tarren. Tales and lore built the first city of old and its walls still stands as formidable as before. Cudura, the country of the High King is the smallest among the five kingdoms. He felt as if a lifetime has passed since he laid a foot on the capital, a lot has changed apparently. The once picturesque green fields were replaced by walls and guard posts that surrounds the entire city. He could see the houses of the commoners built precariously on top of each other since its forbidden to live outside of the city wall. The prince remembers no fond memories of this place.


As they near the gates he saw the crown's banners waving softly on the wind, the king's sigil, a sun and a sword were hanging all over the city walls even on the tree branches on the side of the road. A sign of His Majesty's dignity. Suddenly, a blaring noise caught his attention as the people of Tarren welcomed their honored guests, the convoy slowed as they entered the main street. He sighed when he saw the narrow path cramped with onlookers, it is already suffocating under his heavy armor and he's gradually losing patience.


"I'm sending men to clear the street my lord" said a boy on his right. Leave it to his attendant to guess his mood under his helmet. He nodded and the boy steered his horse ahead.


It took them roughly half an hour to reach the castle's main gate and by that time he was extremely irritated. He glanced at the ever imposing walls and towers. It used to awe him how majestic the High King's castle was. The entryway is littered with statues of the previous kings and some high lords. At its center was a grand staircase leading up to even grander set of iron doors. The castle was several hundred feet tall, decorated with more of the king's banners.


Their envoy halted just below the stairs. The footmen scrambled to lower the steps on the carriages and the ladies alighted followed by their servants whose carrying rare and expensive gifts.


"My lord, in behalf of the High King of Scynna, we welcome you warmly to our city Tarren. It must be such a treacherous journey to all of you, allow me to say our greatest appreciation for Your Highness' presence to this glorious occasion" the man bowed slightly and offered a welcoming smile.


"I'm sorry, what?" he said, looking over his shoulder.


"Uh-" the man was taken aback, he fidget a little but attempts to repeat his introduction nonetheless. "oh- ah.. In behalf of-"


He gestures for him to stop and the poor man just downright looked confused.


"I meant no disrespect my lord, I thank you for the warm reception but I am quite exhausted. I would appreciate it more if you could direct me to my quarters so I can finally rest on a proper bed with a proper pillow, we've been riding for more than a month, I'm sure you understand." he flashed a small friendly smile but didn't wait for his reply and went on to the noble's wing.


'I think I need a drink'


Now he had to endure a week long stay here at the capital until the High King's coronation.


-



Barely an hour passed since he shut himself inside his quarters when the captain of his guards knocked on the door.


"My apologies Your Highness, there's a Lord Lee Jinsang requesting an audience." his guard informed but before he even gave permission for anyone to visit him, in comes an old and strikingly thin man, a little short stature dressed in his court robes with elaborate design. "Ah! What pleasant surprise! My nephew highness!"


'Who is this man?' he wondered.


"He says he's your uncle?" his guard whispered. With all the chaos happening, people can easily confuse someone with anyone but his mother, the Queen, may or may not mention this before he depart for Cudura. A slight recognition flashed in his eyes, though he's not entirely sure.


The man looked different from his memory, he remembers an able bodied man with sunken eyes, dark skin and strong aura. This man seemed like he was hit by the plague and survived with nothing but skin in his bones. He also looked darker and his cheekbone more prominent than ever.


"Nephew Highness?"


"I'm sorry, it's very rude of me. Please."


"Ah goodness, it's been years, how are you? I'm assuming you're doing alright? How's my sister queen?" his patronizing smirk irritates the prince but he replied out of courtesy. He's used to this kind. His tutors drilled royal manners in him since he was little.


"The queen is doing great and uncle you can call me Seungcheol." he offered, having remembered their customs of not letting the elders call them by their titles as a sign of respect.


"Wha- how could I possib- you know I can't" the man replied in a laughing-yelling manner then snapped his finger and points at the bottle of wine. His guard gave him a look and he nodded. 


His uncle seemed to be quite well adapted to the aristocratic life. It must be nice to have a sibling who's the  ruling queen of Ilea.


"So, how long do you plan to stay here in Tarren? I know the capital inside and out, I am friends with many lords and ladies, I could introduce them to you. Oh, and there's a great place just outside the city wall. A servant of mine got lost once and he returned weeks later. Weeks! Can you believe that? Dearest sister queen mentioned in her letter that you love to hunt and likes to have an adventure, I surely think you're going to like it." His uncle went on and on with his stories and the prince only smiled uncomfortably and just looked on without contributing to their conversation.


A couple of dull hours later, a servant informed them that the King summons them to the throne room for the greetings. The boy led them across the hallways with intricate display of wealth. Portraits and paintings of the king and some famous victorious battle were hung encased on golden frames. His uncle was pointing at the glittering rare objects and telling him where this and that were commissioned, how much it costs and how unbelievably rich their king is.


The prince felt a great sense of relief when they reached the throne room. There's a large group of people mingling and chatting merrily and his uncle quickly joined them. Finally some respite from that insufferable man. The captain of his guards eventually stepped closer once the prince was alone. He gave him a sharp stare and the young man laughed softly.


"What? I couldn't possibly send your relative away. He's still the Queen's brother." he said, still chuckling.


"You are very good at everything except guarding." said the prince, downing another glass of wine.


"I take that as an admission that I'm the superior fighter than you. Thank you my lord." his guard continues to tease.


"I'm still the better archer." he sneered. 


-


The halls of the High King is truly magnificent, nothing compares to its grandiose scale. Its towering columns supports the beautiful arches and the fragile looking glass dome, which provides light and warmth for the enormous throne room. His father used to bring him to the capital when he was a child and it used to make him feel small and  insignificant. Even now when he's older, it never really cease, his insecurity. Hours rolled and the hall was filled with all sorts of nobility and royalty from other countries. They all exchanged greetings and fake pleasantries and for the second time that day, he felt suffocated. The prince never really liked these royal gatherings, he much preferred the outside world than the royal courts.


Seungcheol thought he will soon be driven to insanity if he doesn't go out. Taking another glass of wine, he excused himself and starts to head towards the corner

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter