Reunion

Heart of Goryeo

Reunion

 

“The only thing sweeter than union is reunion.” -Kathleen McGowan

 

 

These days Hae Jin rode in a car to so many locations. This morning they were riding to a Saturday morning hike in the mountains.

 Five months ago, she was still taking the bus to travel around Seoul. Since then, so much continued to change.

Her mind seemed to be catching up with understanding how he had found her. The modern world afforded them time to have conversations, in a way that Goryeo had not.  They found time to meet around their jobs and daily routines.

Here, the days seemed to move faster. Here, they were not surrounded by a royal household constantly enmeshed in its plots, scandals, and day to day responsibilities. Here, their hearts could meet as two ordinary people.

 In Goryeo the days had seemed longer, and time had passed slower.

The modern world suddenly felt so rushed.  The realization that five months together had already passed made her feel like time here slipped like water thru her hands.

Their times together were frequent here.  Jeong Jun seemed focused on making every minute they spent together matter.

 If only her heart could move as fast as her mind had, into fully accepting all of it. Most days, she felt as if she walked in a dream afraid of waking up.

Jeong Jun seemed to know she was struggling and simply continued to be by her side, accompanying her thru long silences.  Holding her hand to comfort her, and continuing to move them along, as they engaged in activities. As if he understood, time would eventually help her heart catch up, and until then he would keep them both going thru the motions. Adapting to life together in the modern world.

Her mind which had asked endless questions before he appeared, now seemed to almost hold in expectation of the day to come.

Each conversation fit another piece into place and brought another surprise, another explanation, a new way to look at everything.

“We’re here.” Jun said turning the engine off. Looking out the window, with a satisfied smile he added,” The weather is holding. Sunny, but not too warm.” Turning to her he smiled. “It’s going to be a good day. “

Seeing his enthusiasm, and the smile in his eyes, made her smile too.

Moments later, they sat on a rock as he checked their backpacks one more time. He had packed light but necessary as he told her; Rain jackets, snacks, food, water, first aid kit, flashlight, map.

He tested the straps on her backpack. Adjusting the straps for her comfort. His closeness even now continued to take her by surprise.

Seeing her hiking boot shoelace undone, he knelt before she could to tie it.  Lifting her leg onto a small rock for support. He leaned on one knee too.

Seeing the top of his head and his short hair, she remembered the days when his hair had been long. She gently touched the shorter strands on top of his head making him look up.

She couldn’t resist teasing him, “Jeong Jun you’re a regular boy scout, aren’t you?” she said.

He smiled at her and said, “You never know when wolves will come along. If you don’t want to be eaten, you should be prepared. Lucky for you, you have me. Sometimes it takes one wolf to fight off another.” He answered with a grin.

His casual reference to the past again took her by surprise.

Before she could think, he strapped his own pack on, and said, “There’s a temple at the top of the mountain. It’s the highlight of the trip. Come on. We don’t want to be coming back after sundown…. Remember those wolves…..” He said  as he walked off, leaving her to focus on the hike ahead.

They were more than halfway to their destination when, they stopped to eat. The hike made her legs feel tired and sore.

She sat on the ground looking through her pack to find the sandwiches she had packed.

He sat close to her, his arms wrapped around his knees. Their arms and legs touching. She could feel his warmth radiating from his clothes. She ate slowly.

She looked up into the nearby treetops realizing that real silence now surrounded them.

He spoke, breaking the silence “It’s the real quiet in Goryeo I miss most. I never realized I would miss it.” He said while biting into his second sandwich.

Watching how he ate she was glad she had packed extras.

She could hear birds up on the branches and the brook gurgling nearby. Taking a deep breath, she suddenly felt grateful.

The exercise and quiet was exactly what she needed. She felt relaxed and at peace as a real smile suddenly crept up on her.

His eyes followed her every expression.

Noise from the trail made them look up as a man and two children approached.

The boy was in his teens, the girl was 10 or 11 years old.

They greeted them and stopped to talk before continuing the trail.

The girl held one of her father’s hands, and handed him flowers she picked. His son complained loudly about how they would never reach the temple if she continued.

The father’s free hand-held flowers and his smile showed he was enjoying their dilemma.

As they walked away, Hae Jin wished her every thought and feeling in that moment were not spelled clearly across her face for Jun to see as her eyes traveled to the daughter and her father’s intertwined hands.

Fearing Jun could read her like a book, she tried to focus on packing away the remains of their lunch shielding her eyes.

As the family walked away, he spoke.

“She had your smile. Seol.”

His words left her tuning in to his every word, letting her imagination fill the gaps for all the images her eyes would never see.

“She was very knowledgeable in medicinal herbs. Her skills helped many at the Daemi-won. She grew up smart, a little rebellious, strong and beautiful; she was loved by Prince Jung and their family.”

He paused for a moment drinking some water from his water bottle then continued, “She knew I was her father. I watched over her…. I loved her.” He ended.

Their first week together their conversations had centered on Seol.

Feeling a now familiar sadness, Hae Jin stood up and walked towards the creek wooden bridge.  He followed her and stood next to her watching its rushing waters through the rails.

 

 

 

“What are you thinking?” he asked.

She took a moment and then said,” I was thinking about stolen moments.”

“Are you regretting things again?” He asked.

She didn’t look at him, but nodded slowly in answer.

His hand reached for hers then.

Then after a moment, she asked, “Did you hate me after I left you?  After you found out about Seol? After you knew who I really was?”

He placed his hands on her shoulders then, turning her slowly to meet his eyes.

She could see her answers in them.

He kissed her forehead.

His simple “No” was enough for her.

 

It was afternoon by the time they reached the gates to the temple.

The doors stood open for visitors.

They walked up the narrow path and through gates to reach an open courtyard.

They stood watching the view of the surrounding mountains as two monks quietly approached. She was taken by surprise when they were both greeted in the manner she remembered those at court greeting them.

“Welcome to Haeinsa temple.” One of the monks said.

Then turning the monk faced Jeung Jun and said softly, “The Abbot would like to meet with you. We have been expecting you, Your Majesty.”