Your Road

Heart of Goryeo

 

 

“It’s your road…..and yours alone……others might walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you. No matter what path you choose really walk it.”   =Buddha

 

 

 

 

The horse’s legs had the strength to keep galloping. As Crown Prince Ju held tightly to the reins, he wrapped his legs around his teacher’s horse letting his legs help him control the horse.  

 

He had ridden him before and knew his teacher had picked this horse for speed.  He knew what the animal had in speed would mean he needed to also be careful not to overexert his stamina.

 

The King rode next to him also at a full gallop. His horse was a full half body length ahead of his own horse.  Out of the corner of his eye Prince Ju could admire the King’s speed and control of his horse.  The King looked like he was enjoying himself challenging his son as they rode out into an open field.

 

Prince Ju rode as low as he could be trying to catch up to the King.  Ahead of them a flag bearer stood waiting for them to cross the finish line.

 

As they approached at full speed, Prince Ju forgot all thoughts and just imagined himself melting into his horse, throwing everything he had learned about riding into trying to run as fast as he could to the finish line. 

 

His horse seemed to read his intent and gained a little on the King’s horse.  The finish line was just ahead.

 

Then the King bore down on his own horse as both animals rode side by side.

They crossed the finish line, as the flag bearer raised his flag.

 

The soldiers at the finish line cheered. 

 

Prince Ju sat on his horse after the race looking at the King.

 

His Father’s wide smile left him feeling unguarded for a moment and then he realized he too was smiling. 

 

The King had won the race.

 

Prince Ju let his horse walk slowly, trying to cool him down. Then allowed him to approach a creek and drink.

 

The King stood close by, letting his own horse drink.

 

“Persistence and endurance carry their own reward.”   The King’s words took him by surprise.

 

Prince Ju turned to see his Father focusing on the creek and his own horse. The King’s back did not let him see his face.

 

For a moment he felt frustration, all this time he had wanted his father to acknowledge him. Now he stood next to him and words failed him.

 

“It takes courage to go up against a wild pig by yourself. What went wrong?” The King casually added.

 

Prince Ju stood quiet for a moment letting the King’s words sink in.

 

“I didn’t expect the pig to turn away so quickly from the arrows path. I wasn’t prepared to shoot a second arrow at him.” He answered.

 

After another silence the King spoke again, “It was good timing to have your teacher arrive when he did. Had things not worked out this way, who would be mourning your choice today?”

 

At the King’s words, the first face that filled Prince Ju’s mind was his Mother, Queen Daemok.

 

The realization filled him with sadness as he thought of his Mother alone in the palace. 

Prince Ju understood the sacrifices his Mother had made to help him become the Crown Prince.

 

“Courage is not always enough….


A King travels his own road alone, always.”

 

After a pause the King continued.

 

“His every choice can both help and hurt those around him.”


The King’s horse had stopped drinking.

 

As he turned away from the creek, Prince Ju could now see his face.

 

“King Taejo, favored Crown Prince Mu during his reign. 

 

My oldest brother managed to survive being the target of the King’s advisers who continuously asked for his removal as Crown Prince,

 

They attempted to poison him, and sent assassins to kill him before he became King.


He persisted, but was unable to endure.

 

His reign lasted three years.”

 

The King’s eyes looked sad as he remembered.

 

“Sometimes, endurance can be the true measure of a King’s success.

This applies to you as well, Ju.

 

A father’s acknowledgement, isn’t always a blessing.”

 

Prince Ju walked next to the King as they both slowly led their horses back to where the soldiers were.

 

Then the King added, “Travelling this road alone as Crown Prince, has afforded you the freedom to remain by your Mother’s side.

 

An enduring Kingdom as Goryeo’s next King will be your biggest challenge.”

 

 

In a lighter tone the King added, “You have received good training from your teacher, you kept your head when that pig turned against you.”

 

Prince Ju stopped walking for a moment and said to the King, “I was scared.”

 

Prince Ju’s words made the King smile again. 

 

Before reaching the soldiers camp, the smell of roasting meat reached them first.

 

The King’s last words before reaching the camp were soft and for his ears only.

 

“The path ahead you is being cleared. You will need to be strong enough to walk it alone.”

 

As Prince Ju’s thoughts returned to the present,

 

The King’s words still echoed in his mind.

 

He shot his last arrow.

 

Then walked to the target himself to retrieve them.

 

As he approached the target he stopped for a moment in front of Goryeo’s  royal flag, the wind made it sway.

 

He held three arrows that had not reached the bulls-eye in his hand,

and slowly walked back preparing to shoot again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Royal_flag_of_Goryeo_%2528Bong-gi%2529.svg.png........png