New Beginnings

Heart of Goryeo

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” ~Lao- Tsu

 

 

 

 

Year 975 (4th Month of the Lunar Calendar (June))

26th Year of King Gwangjong’s Reign

 

At the Daemi-Won.

 

Lady Seol, walked through her early morning rounds. She visited the room where patients recovered, while four assistants followed behind her. One gave her a report.

 

The first earthquake had been followed by a second one two months later, and had quickly filled them to full capacity with patients.

 

It had taken almost two years to slowly recover from its aftermath.

 

As she looked around the room it no longer looked completely full.

Many had lost their homes and all their belongings.

 

In addition to supervising the patients and those working, she also needed to inspect the kitchen.

 

They served meals for the patients and continued to distribute rice to families in need after the earthquake.

 

This clinic had become a lifeline for the poor.

 

As she gave the last of her instructions to the ladies following her, she saw Geosa approaching and dismissed her attendants.

 

She had been awaiting his return for several weeks.

 

They walked outside together to afford themselves some privacy.

 

A crisp wind blew and the sun was out.

 

The breeze was a welcome respite in the middle of the summer heat.

 

It felt good to be outside on a day like this.

 

She spent most of her days inside and rarely found a moment to step outside.

 

She closed her eyes and turned her face, letting the sun warm her for a minute.

 

The feeling of the wind and sun on her face helped to clear all the thoughts and worries running through her mind.

 

Geosa shared the silence with her for a moment, then greeted her.

“Welcome back.” She said to him.

 

“I am glad to be back Lady.” Geosa answered.

 

She stayed quiet allowing Geosa to speak.

 

“I have met with many of the monks in the surrounding villages.

 

They speak to the people every day as they ask for alms.

 

The people are slowly recovering.

 

Many have lost their homes, and everything in them.

 

Families have lost their loved ones too.

 

The people are blaming the King for the earthquake and for their misfortune.”

 

Geosa paused, remembering many of conversations he had had over the past month.

 

Lady Seol could tell seeing people in pain had taken its toll on Geosa. He looked tired.

 

“The monks remind the people that they have a King that cares for their welfare. The Daemin-won can help. They reminded the people that they are not alone.”

 

Geosa paused, then continued deep in thought, “I have visited Haeinsa Temple, Lady.....

 

The Queen fears this is the King’s weakest moments and believes enemies will strike the King in favor of a new King.

 

The Queen has sent a letter for you.” Geosa said, extending the letter to her. Then added,

 

“The Abbot has also sent two monks who travel back with me. Leom and Gyeo. They will be returning to the Palace.”

 

Geosa then approached her and slowly placed a small box in her hands.

 

“The Queen prepared this herself. She has added instructions for its proper use. She asked that I personally deliver this to you.” He continued,

 

“She said, to tell you, her hopes are in you, Lady Seol.”

 

As she listened to his words, Lady Seol nodded acknowledging the Queen’s message.

 

 

“Also, our visitor has arrived. “Geosa added,

“He is waiting for you in the front courtyard.”

 

Lady Seol then addressed Geosa,

“You should join us for the morning meal. It will soon be ready.”

 

Before Geosa turned to enter the Daemin-won she spoke, again.

 

“Geosa, although we’ve never spoken of it in all these years. I am glad the King sent you to me as a child. Thank you.”

 

Geosa met her eyes for a moment in acknowledgement.

 

Then said,“ Much has been lost lady, but not all. Along with everything else, hope will still rise tomorrow.” He then bowed before heading back into the Daemin-won.

 

She again turned towards the sun enjoying the last rays.

 

Staying outside she opened the letter to read its contents.

 


Some time later, Lady Seol walked towards the front courtyard.

 

As she approached, the sound of a song being played reached her.


She heard the laughter of children.

 

The sound of music inside the Daemin-won made her pause momentarily.

 

He sat on a stone wall. Children sat around him as he told them a story.

 

……On that day only, after so many years

Lady Moon could meet the Sun,

And for a moment he could hide inside her embrace.

 

He then began to play a melody.

 

She felt as captivated by it’s sound as the children.

 

It had been such a long time since she had heard music played this well.

 

The children did not realize the person that played for them was a Prince.

 

Prince Baek-Ah. The King’s brother.

 

As a child in her father’s house, she had enjoyed his visits.

 

She had sat the way those children did now, asking for another song.

 

He had also traveled to meet her on occasion over the years, with letters from the King.

 

Seeing her standing, watching him; He stopped playing and smiled at her.

 

The children complained loudly, as the music stopped, making him smile again.

 

“That is all for today.” he said to them with finality.

 


He rose as she approached him and bowed a greeting to him with a small smile,

 

“Welcome Uncle. That is a beautiful song. I am not used to hearing music at the Daemin-won.” She said.

 

“Your smile always reminds me of your mother.” He said.

 

“It is a song to help the children understand and not fear the eclipse that will be happening in a few months. The people fear eclipses as omens of change.”

 

As he spoke his eyes traveled to the box and the letter she still held in her hand.

 

“I will be traveling with you to your father’s house and afterwards to the palace to be with the King.” He said.

 

“The King has asked for me. He needs me.”Her eyes fell to the box for a moment as she heard his words.

 

“You must be busy trying to complete work at the Daemin-Won before traveling.” He added.

 

“I can tell you when I returned home this year to my family there was excitement about you coming to meet your new husband and join our family. He is a fortunate man, Lady Seol.”The genuine warmth in his voice spoke more to her than his words.

 

Prince Baek-Ah added, “Your father will be glad to see you return home. I am looking forward to seeing my brother too.”

 

Lady Seol looked at Prince Baek-Ah and said, “It will be a change to leave the Daemin-Won. I have spent so many years inside its walls."


Then after a moment of thought, she said, " It is a time for new beginnings, for all of us.”

 

 

 

One Month Later

(5th Month of the Lunar Calendar -July)

At Prince Jung’s Home.

 


That morning her father rode to the palace after an urgent messenger had arrived at his house to summon him.

 

Lady Seol sat in the garden at a chair and table that had been set out overlooking the woods surrounding her Father’s property.

 

Crows sat on one of the branches.

 

Their loud sounds shattering the silence.

 

Her thoughts returned to her days at the palace.

 

She had used all the knowledge gained at the temple to help the King.

 

She had kept her promise to follow the Queen’s instructions.

 

He had received the box.

 

It now remained in the hands of Prince Baek-Ah.

 

She heard the footsteps approaching before she saw her father.


His face held that quiet dignity earned through many campaigns fighting.

 

She knew before he said the words to her that the world as she had known it up to then had just shifted.

 

Silently he sat down next to her.

 


In a flat voice he said, “The King has died.

 

Her father’s uttered words continued to fall like stones.

 

“Despite your help Seol, the poison was too strong.” He added.

 

“The official line at the palace, is that the King died from illness.”

 

After a long moment, he continued.

 

“Crown Prince Wang Ju is our new King.

 

“Along the other nobles, I just paid homage to our new King.”

 

As he finished, she lowered her head and in a sad voice said,

 

“Father, it is very hard to let go of loved ones.”

 

His hand reached for hers and he held it in his own.

 

 

 

 

5 Months later of the Lunar Calendar (December)

Inside the Palace

 


There was nervous anticipation on the palace grounds as they awaited the eclipse.

 

Goryeo’s new King, King Gyeongjong stood on the open courtyard waiting to watch the eclipse.

 

Many in the palace grounds waited outside too, despite the cold.

 

The doors to the Daminwon remained closed for the day.

 

The outside pool usually remained closed during the winter months.

 

The moon began covering the sun in the eclipses initial stage.

 

To anyone present to watch, the figure descending the steps into the Daminwon’s outside pool during the eclipse would have believed a ghost had appeared at the Daminwon.

 

As the eclipse reached totality that same figure disappeared into the water’s depths.

 

Water enveloped everything.

 

The time had come to keep his promise to find her.

 

The world became dark as night and then slowly the light returned.

 

Three figures with their backs to the pool kept watch.

 

Prince Baek-Ah and two monks entered the pool quietly.

 

Ready to serve their King one last time.

 

paradise-tilt-shift-photo-white-wallpaper-preview.jpg