Interconnections

Heart of Goryeo

"The fundamental delusion of humanity is to think that I am here and you are out there.” Yasutani Roshi Zen master.

 

 

Year 965 (17th Year) of King Gwangjongs Reign.

 

The first rays of daylight entered Haeinsa Temple.Three times a day the monks gathered at the sound of the large bell. At the courtyard,they entered the hall to pay their respects to the Buddhas. Their incantations filled the silence.

 

Haensa%2BTemple%2B%25282%2529.jpg

 

 

The loud sounds of horses announced the arrival of The King, riding in full armor to the temple gate. Next to him, rode his military adviser for the Northern Garrisons; 14th Prince Wang Jung.

 

A messenger’s voice could be heard announcing, “The King has arrived! Open the Gates.!”


Two Monks rushed down the narrow path, to open the five gates leading to the main courtyard, like sailors descending from the back of a ship to its front.

 

The King ascended thru the gates followed by the monks’ arrival from the opposite direction. The Kings men ascended the ship from the lower gates. The monks descended it, meeting in the middle inside the courtyard.


”Welcome to Haeinsa temple, your Majesties.” The Abbot announced.

courtyard%2Bmonks%2B%25283%2529.jpg

 

 

In high spirits, the King addressed the Abbot, “We will be imposing on your hospitality Abbot. My niece is accompanying us on this trip. “

 

The Abbot looked at all those gathered inside the courtyard,“We are grateful for the honor of your visit to our temple. This is a joyful time at our temple as we prepare for the lantern festival."


The Abbot continued,"We have prepared a meal to be served in the hall.” He added kindly, "And quarters to house the horses and soldiers."


An elderly Monk approached Prince Jung, “General, the garrison commander arrived yesterday and is waiting to provide you with his report.”

 

Prince Jung, nodded his acknowledgment of the news of the commander’s arrival. “I am looking forward to his report and will meet him, later. ”

 

His voice laced with amusement the King continued, “Prince Jung and I might be more interested in visiting and securing the Northern Borders and the garrisons." The King paused looking at the Palanquin entering the courtyard "Lady Wang Seol, is here to learn about your famous medicinal mountain plants. Her mind can be …. inquisitive at times. I’m certain you’ll be able to accommodate her requests Abbot.”

 

Descending from his horse in one fluid movement Prince Jung approached the Palanquin.

 

As if on cue, the door to the Palanquin resting in the courtyard opened. All eyes turned to meet the Prince’s daughter. Prince Jung extended his hand to help his daughter exit the Palanquin.

 

 

Jung%2Band%2BHS%2B%25282%2529.png

 

 


The King, watching her from a distance, once again saw Hae Soo in Seol’s slight smile. At times in quiet contemplation he would be taken aback by some small gesture of hers similar to her Mother’s.

 

The King marveled at Lady Wang Seol and never tired of watching her. At 14, she carried her Mother’s spirit, including a penchant for mischief. He specially enjoyed watching her clash wills with Prince Jung. On long trips like this he treasured their conversations and her many questions.

 

Lady Wong Seol stood next to her Father and bowed to the King. She had a quick mind and like her Father she also had the will to command like a general despite her age.


Her extensive knowledge of medicinal herbs had proved valuable in helping her partly run the medical centers, The Daebiwon, in both In-Kaesong and Pyongyang. The centers had been established thru Royal decree by the King, as part of his reforms and provided free medicine to the poor.

 

The Abbot approached and greeted her, “Lady, I have heard of your good works on behalf of the poor.”

 

Lady Wang Seol greeted the Abbot but was distractedly gazing at the Temple buildings around her, “I heard that you have an excellent collection of medicinal texts, Abbot. I’m looking forward to studying them.” she said.

 

“I think you will find, inside our two small libraries, that our collection is quite extensive .” The Abbot, declared proudly.

 

“Thank you, Abbot. I will make good use of the libraries."


With excitement in her voice she continued, "Our work is making a difference for his Majesty's people, as you may know, The King’s reforms have not been well received by the noble families. Despite this his Majesty’s decision to charge interest on the grain loans has provided the financial support to give relief for the poor at the Daebiwon.”

 

She had noticed her father’s displeased gaze while speaking, but continued ignoring the warning in his eyes. The farthest and highest building in the temple suddenly came into her line of sight and she froze in place.

 

The Abbot’s eyes followed her gaze to the building holding her attention, anticipating her question,” That is the oldest building,  the Jangyeong Panjeon. It was built specially to house and preserve the carved wooden printing blocks, The Tripitaka. You might have heard about them? “

 

Lady Seol turned meeting the eyes of Geosa standing behind her. The Monk always traveled with her as an adviser and a friend as part of her Father’s household, “I have heard about them.” She said.

 

The Abbot nodded acknowledging Geosa, "SoSeong Geosa, it seems your time at the Prince's household has been well spent."


He then continued, “We are the only temple in all of Goryeo to hold this sacred collection. The floors of the building have been specially made with a mixture of: clay, salt, sand, and charcoal to preserve them.”

 

Lady Wang Seol could hardly contain her sense of wonder, “Is it true that animals, insects and birds avoid that building?”

 

The Abbot smiled slightly bowing once more to the Lady, “You are well informed, Lady.” He answered, “It is time for tea to be served in the hall” and with those last words he walked away re-joining his King. They walked together towards the Hall.

 

 

hall2%2B%25282%2529.jpg

 

 

In addition to Haeinsa temple, King Gwangjong, had sponsored the construction of two additional Buddhist temples and would soon begin construction of a third. Haeinsa temple had a long history of receiving royal favor and sponsorship. Legend had it that King Taejo’s wife had been miraculously cured from a tumor at this temple.

 

As a sponsor of Buddhist practice King Gwangjong, had appointed the Abbot from Haeinsa temple as the Buddhist spiritual leader for Goryeo’s people.

 

The Abbot walked next to the King, as everyone else heading to the hall followed behind at a distance to afford them privacy.


“Has the book been translated?” The King queried softly.

 

“The two Monks who have been working on deciphering it, have decoded the symbols.” The Abbot replied, “However, it is unlike any writing they have encountered before. It has been very slow progress. They would like to meet with you and present their findings your Majesty.”

 

At the Abbots' words, the King momentarily stopped,” Tell them we will meet after the meal.”

 

The Abbot paused for a moment, then added, “Regarding the advisers for the court. We have Monks ready to travel back with you Your Majesty.”


The King replied, "We will return once the festivities to the festival are finished."


He then continued, “I have received the updates on the implementation of examinations for Buddhist priests you sent." In a voice expressing frustration he added," but I continue to foresee difficulty in our efforts at making peace between the Zen and Textual schools.”

 

The Abbot lowered his head in contemplation, “Buddhist too are reaching for enlightenment in this life your Majesty. However, we still fail to fully understand and appreciate the need for a oneness of mind and the interconnection of everything.” They had reached the hall and paused their conversation.

 

Together they entered the hall and sat opposite to each other. Prince Jung and Lady Wang Seol followed them in. Small tables were set in front of each of the guests.

 

Haeinsa-Temple-complex-interior%2B%25282%2529.jpg

 

 


The Abbot continued addressing those seated in the hall but kept his gaze on the King, “Learning about medicinal properties, requires apprenticeship with a Master your Majesty."


He then turned to Lady Seol,"The information in our texts simply records properties of medicinal plants but the practice and method must also be learned along the plant names.”

 

“In that case, you will need to provide the Master as well as the texts Abbot” the King said simply.

 

The Abbot lowered his head acceding to the King’s request, “We are in luck your Majesty. The best trained Master in medicinal plants has already been with us for many years.” His eyes traveled to the side doors opening as the tea trays arrived.

 

Kneeling by the King’s side the tea server prepared tea. The smell of the loose leaf green tea King Gwangjong favored reached him. It was prepared with care by someone who knew his preferences. Once the tea was ready, it was poured slowly into his cup.

 

 

The King’s eyes traveled up from the hand pouring his tea, meeting her eyes. The face had changed. His brother’s eyes remained. It was the face of his second wife, Queen Kyeongwha, King Mu’s daughter.

 

 

culture_tea%2B%25282%2529.jpg