The Honeymoon

A Thousand Days

“Ready?” He asked, as their car pulled up at the curb side.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” Nam Ji Hyun replied. “Just smile and wave right?”

Ji Chang Wook alighted from the vehicle, and held his hand out for Nam Ji Hyun as she alighted after him. The two held hands as they waved at the press gathered at the departure hall of Incheon Airport. Despite the craziness of this entire situation, it felt nice to be out and openly holding her husband’s hand. Keeping their relationship under wraps over the past years was such a challenge. They very rarely held hands in public.

“Her husband!” She squealed internally as she looked over at him, being the consummate professional, smiling and waving at the press around them. She squeezed his hand and he turned to look at her. They exchanged a happy smile and she heard a flurry of shutters click excitedly, the photographers happy to capture the two in their newly wedded bliss.

Nam Ji Hyun watched wide-eyed with amazement as she saw the herd of elephants gather at the watering hole outside the balcony of their hotel room as the sun rose slowly on the plains, washing everything in its warm orange light.

She walked quickly back into the room.

“Oppa! Wake up!”

Ji Chang Wook woke suddenly and in a daze. The surroundings were unfamiliar and he couldn’t quite place where he was.

“What’s wrong?” He asked urgently.

“You need to see this.”

He rubbed his eyes and tried to focus on the excited face in front of him. “What is it?”

“Elephants!” She exclaimed as she pulled his unwilling body away from the comfort of the four poster bed and out to the balcony. They had travelled for almost a day, with multiple transits, just to get from Seoul to the Serengeti. Ji Chang Wook felt exhausted as he stumbled groggily towards the balcony with his wife tugging on his hand. She pointed at the watering hole.

“Look! Look! There are baby ones too!” She exclaimed in a hushed tone so as not to alarm the animals.

“Yes I see them.” He managed a smile at her immense excitement.

“This is so amazing jagiya.” She squealed with absolute delight as she put her hands tightly around his waist. “Thank you for planning this!”

He smiled and put his arm around his shoulder, pulling her in to kiss her on the top of her head. He would give the world just to see her smile. They stood holding each other close as they watched the elephants in wonderous silence.

Nam Ji Hyun stretched out on the cabana, in a one piece swim suit, her face obscured by possibly the largest sunhat known to man. Ji Chang Wook stifled a laugh as he walked over to her with pool towels.

“Is that you Hyun-ie? I only see a hat and legs.”

“Aish. The sun is bad for you jagiya! I have sunscreen in my bag if you need it.”

As it is, they only came out to the pool in the late afternoon to avoid the harsh sunrays. He placed the towels on the side of the cabana, peeled off his t shirt and snuggled beside his wife, lifting her sunhat to see her face and planting a tender kiss on her lips under the remarkable berth of the hat. The resort was very discreet and private and it was one of the reasons why they had decided to come here for their honeymoon. An easier option was to go to the Maldives or Bali but the resorts were always filled to the brim and they would definitely be recognized.

It might have been the heat of the day or the long travelling time from the day before or just the relief of the wedding finally being over, they were soon fast asleep, their bodies tangled messily together. Nam Ji Hyun stirred as she felt the chill of the cool evening breeze blowing over the infinity pool. She opened her eyes to see her husband’s cherubic sleeping face right beside hers. Despite his constant teasing, he had also sought refuge from the unforgiving sun under her impressive sun hat. She pulled off her hat and placed it over his face as she sat up, stretching her body. She felt his arms tighten around her waist as he murmured something unidentifiable in his sleep, He snuggled onto her lap and continued sleeping. She turned to look at the waterway and saw once again that the elephants had made their way there to drink. It was dry season and they would come frequently to the watering hole for much needed water. She watched as a shadowy figure materialized from afar. As the figure got nearer, she saw its unmistakable long neck. It was a giraffe!

“Jagiya!” She shook him gently.

“Hmm?” He replied, groggily, planting his face firmly on her smooth lap.

“Jagiya.” She tried again.

“Hmm?” He woke with a groan, pulling off the sun hat on him. After the wedding, it was as though all the adrenaline they were running on had dissipated and the true fatigue of the past months had truly set in. All he wanted to do was hold his wife and sleep his rest days away.

“Look!” She pointed at the plains. “It’s magical.”

He sat up in the cabana and saw the giraffe gingerly drinking from the watering hole alongside the herd of elephants as the sun lingered on just before sunset, just enough to light the plain in front of them. He turned to look at his wife, her beautiful face a washed with the glow of the setting sun as she looked on with wonderment in her eyes.

“You are magical.” He whispered to her, kissing her on her cheek. He saw her break into a shy smile. He wrapped his wife in tight bear hug, his arms encasing her shoulders entirely and rested his chin on her shoulder as they both watched the animals at the watering hole as the sun set slowly over the plain. She held on to his arms and he exhaled heavily, letting go of all the weariness he carried with him.