Homecoming

A Thousand Days

The plane landed at Incheon airport on schedule. It was the wee hours of the morning. They had intentionally picked this flight which would land at this time to try and avoid the inevitable press attention on Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun. Since the announcement of their upcoming nuptials, searches on Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun had consistently ranked top of all online searches done. Their drama together, Suspicious Partner, was trending once again, as was the behind the scenes footage of the kisses which won them Best Couple Award during the SBS Drama Awards in 2017. Even after three years and countless new dramas with hot new pairings, it was still the most viewed video for SBS Catch. After their wedding announcement, Dispatch had also since released the pictures of Nam Ji Hyun getting off Ji Chang Wook’s bike at her apartment block.

Ji Chang Wook was wearing his motorcycle jacket and jeans. He pulled on his cap, sunglasses and black mask in preparation for the possible press. Nam Ji Hyun was wearing her pink hoodie and jeans. She arranged the hoodie on her head and pulled on her black mask as well.

They were lucky that there were no other flights getting into Incheon at the same time and they breezed past customs quickly. However, once they excited the arrival hall, they were inundated by loud shouts of their names and flashing lights of cameras of the press which had gathered, taking pictures of their every move. They waved and bowed slightly at the press and moved quickly towards their vehicle which was waiting with their security team surrounding them.

The doors closed quickly as they sought refuge in the dark tinted windows of their vehicle. 

“Ok that was intense.” Nam Ji Hyun said. She was always able to slip in and out of Korea without much fanfare.

“Yes, there’s a lot more press than usual.” Ji Chang Wook replied, taking his cap off and running his hand wearily on the back of his head.

“Hopefully it will pass?”

“I’m not sure.” Ji Chang Wook didn’t have the heart to break it to Nam Ji Hyun that this was probably the life she would have to get used to, now that she would soon be Mrs Ji Chang Wook.

“Hyunieeeee!” Kim Ye Won squealed with delight as Nam Ji Hyun walked into the private room of the restaurant. Nam Ji Hyun laughed as the two hugged. Kim Ye Won pat Nam Ji Hyun’s backside and squished her hands affectionately, as she always did. Even though they had an of 8 years, they found themselves fast friends while working together on Suspicious Partner. Nam Ji Hyun even appeared on Kim Ye Won’s radio show several times in support of her friend.

“Have you been waiting for long?” Nam Ji Hyun asked.

“No, I just got here. Anyway, I am always the earliest, am I not?”

“It’s true.”

“Nara will be late. She has a shoot. Tae Joon didn’t reply my text so I have no idea.”

“I think he is coming with oppa. They were playing soccer in the afternoon.”

“So! Tell me about the wedding plans!”

“Oh we haven’t really planned anything yet. Ideally, we would have a tiny wedding on a beach somewhere but I don’t think it is quite going to pan out the way we want.”

“Shilla then? Everybody gets married there! Jun Ji Hyun, Song Hye Kyo.”

“Perhaps. We’ll have to look at it. It looks super fancy though, don’t you think? Plus I’m hardly in their league! Anyway! How are you?”

“Well, I’m dating someone.”

“What? When did this happen? Why didn’t you tell me?” Nam Ji Hyun asked, suddenly noticing the happy glow on her friend’s face.

“It’s all very new. I’ll introduce him to you when we are more settled!”

“Show me his picture!”

Kim Ye Won reached for her phone and scrolled quickly to the gallery. “Here!”

“Heol! You two look so cute together!”

The two grown women giggled like teenage school girls as they scrolled through the photo gallery of the lovey-dovey selfies of Kim Ye Won and her new boyfriend. Suddenly, the door to the room opened and in walked the two actors, fresh from showers after their soccer game. The waitress showing them to the room looked only slightly star struck.

“What are you two giggling about?” Choi Tae Joon asked curiously.

“Nothing.” Kim Ye Won replied, quickly turning off the screen of her phone.

Choi Tae Joon shot a suspicious look at her but decided to let it go for now.

“Jagiya.” Nam Ji Hyun called out. Ji Chang Wook kissed her quickly on the top of her head before settling down beside her.

“So when exactly is the wedding? I am assuming that I am definitely invited.” Choi Tae Joon started as he sat down beside Kim Ye Won.

“No, no you are not.” Ji Chang Wook deadpanned.

“What? Say it isn’t so, Hyunie!” Choi Tae Joon replied, clutching his heart in mock pain.

“Of course you are invited! You all are!” Nam Ji Hyun said cheerfully.

“Pfft. I don’t know why we are inviting this person I don’t even like to our wedding.” Ji Chang Wook grumpily muttered under his breath.

Nam Ji Hyun punched Ji Chang Wook lightly on his shoulder and he pretended to collapse under the sheer power of her small hands. The room exploded in exuberant laughter.

The piping hot plates of fried chicken were served with big mugs of beer and they tucked in happily. Nara arrived shortly after the food was served.

“Always such good timing Nara!” Choi Tae Joon teased.

“Aish, I try my best!” She replied cheekily as she enveloped Nam Ji Hyun in a quick hug. Nam Ji Hyun picked up a piece of chicken and fed it to Nara who ate it gratefully.

They all laughed happily as they ate and drank, toasting to everything under the sun. It had been some years since they worked together on Suspicious Partner and those were such happy spring days.

Choi Tae Joon watched his good friend Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun and felt his heart swell with happiness for the two. He knew from the start that his good friend had it bad for Nam Ji Hyun. He was so plain and obvious about his affections for Nam Ji Hyun that it was an open secret on set. Fortunately, the crew was very protective of the two and no dating rumours ever leaked from set.

Choi Tae Joon also knew that enlistment was always tricky for any couple, much less a couple who only had mere months before enlistment and he was glad that the two managed to survive that extended period of separation. Who would have thought the drama would cause Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun’s lives to become intrinsically linked now?

The bill for dinner came and Choi Tae Joon pointed at Ji Chang Wook and said “Oh, he’s paying!”

Ji Chang Wook looked at Choi Tae Joon with gritted teeth and pulled out his wallet out. “I’m paying for everyone except him.” He said emphatically to the waiter as he placed his card on the bill.

The five burst into uncontrollable laughter, thanks to all those beers they had throughout the night.

“Let’s take a picture! We always forget to!” Nara said.

The five of them gathered and beamed happily at Nara’s mobile phone screen. It was definitely one for the books.