Being Apart

A Thousand Days

Nam Ji Hyun woke up to the sound of her phone. She clicked on the message and saw some of the pictures of the wedding shoot they had in Paris. Thankfully, the pictures looked great and there was no evidence of the nervous energy they both had that day. They would now have to pick which ones to include in the wedding album.

“Here’s a bonus.” Photographer-nim texted, enclosing a black and white shot of Nam Ji Hyun blissfully resting her head on Ji Chang Wook’s shoulder as they sat together on the couch after the shot.

“And another!” The next message said, enclosing another black and white shot of Nam Ji Hyun beaming happily at Ji Chang Wook.

“These are amazing, photographer-nim! I didn’t even realise you took these!”

“I saw you two just sitting there with the evening light hitting you perfectly and took some sneaky shots.”

“Thank you so much! I love them!”

“You are most welcome! So let me know which ones you want for the album?”

“Yes I will! Thank you so much!”

Nam Ji Hyun smiled to herself as she scrolled back to the black and white shots of her and Ji Chang Wook. She immediately sent them to Ji Chang Wook.

“LOOK! I LOVE THESE!”

“When were these taken?”

“After our shoot in Paris. Photographer-nim saw us chatting and took some sneaky shots!”

“Very sneaky indeed! I had absolutely no idea!”

“Me neither! Are you on set yet?” Ji Chang Wook had left for an overseas shoot for his new drama last week and it would be another month before he was scheduled to come home.

“Yes I am.” He replied, following up with a pouty selfie on him sitting in the makeup chair.

“I miss you.” She replied with 5 pink heart emoticons.

“I miss you so much Hyun-ie. Can you come here next week?”

“I don’t think it's a good idea. The wedding is less than 2 months away and there’s still so much to do.”

“Araso. I’m sorry I’m not there with you. Call me if you need anything ok?”

“It’s ok! Saranghae jagiya!” She replied quickly. She was never one to dwell and was not about to start right now. Anyway, a mere month apart was nothing compared to the duration of Ji Chang Wook's military service. She snuggled under her blanket and took a cheeky gif of herself with bunny ears and sent it to her fiancé to try and make him feel less guilty about being away during this time.

“Argh stop being so cute! Otherwise I’ll have to abandon everything and come back right now to you!”

“That’s what I’m trying to do! Hee!” She couldn’t resist but send him a gif of her bedroom eyes blinking lots of hearts at him and another with her making repeated kissing faces at him. 

“Arghhhh NAM JI HYUN!!!!!”

“Ok bye!!!!!”

It had been another long day for Nam Ji Hyun. She spent it taking delivery of their new furniture, cleaning the new place, moving some of her clothes to the new place (and securing very necessary wardrobe real estate first), meeting with the florist to pick her wedding flowers and finally ending it with the food tasting dinner with her family and Ji Chang Wook’s omma. Ji Chang Wook was still away, filming his new drama.

Nam Ji Hyun sat exhausted on her couch, typing notes on her multiple to-do lists on her phone. Her doorbell rang. She reluctantly stood up and made her way to the door. To her surprise, it was a delivery of fresh flowers for her. It was exactly what she picked for her wedding bouquet earlier in the afternoon.

“For my love.” The card said simply.

She dialed his number quickly – but there was no answer. He was probably still filming. She carried the bouquet to her room, placing it on the side table beside a frame of the candid black and white shot of the two in Paris.

She took a quick shower and put her wet hair up in a towel and applied a new mask on her face. It was now her pre-wedding routine to apply a mask daily to ensure the optimum glow on the wedding day. At least, that's what the masks claim to do. Just then, her phone rang. It was him.

“Jagiya.” He said, as she answered the phone.

“Jagiya, I got the flowers! How did you know I picked these?”

“We share a calendar, don’t you remember? I asked the florist which flowers you had picked and ordered them for you. The next time you hold these flowers, we will be married.”

Her heart fluttered at the thought that she would soon be married to the love of her life. They had been together for three years and he still made her heart flutter so much. “Ji Chang Wook, you are very good at this. Too good!” She replied with a smile on her face.

“I know.” He said, following up with his signature hearty laughter.

“Aish! Oh, and we finalized the food today too.”

“Omma texted me. By the way, she never fails to remind me how amazing you are and how lucky I am to have you. I swear if she could only choose between you or me, she'll pick you in a heart beat.”

“Did she? Mums love me! Hee!”

“I love you Nam Ji Hyun.”

“I love you too Ji Chang Wook.”

“Can you switch on the video call – I want to see you.”

“No!”

“Why!”

“I have a crazy green face mask on. It is not pretty!”

“Come on, Hyun-ie! I miss you. I miss your face.”

“No no no no no. If you want to see me, you’ll have to come home! Now!”

“Aish Nam Ji Hyun!”

They bickered as they always did, until it was late and they had to say their unwilling goodbyes to each other.