The Press Release

A Thousand Days

“Bang?” Ji Chang Wook said quickly, as he answered his phone after his morning workout.

“Wook, Dispatch has some pictures of you and Ji Hyun.”

“Where was this?”

“It looks like the road by her apartment block. They have pictures of her getting off your bike. Not sure when it was.”

Ji Chang Wook let out a big sigh. They have been trying their best to date incognito but he couldn’t resist going on late night bike rides with Nam Ji Hyun’s hands holding tightly to his waist as they made their way around the city.

“Was she wearing the ring?”

“I can’t see it from the pictures. They were taken at night so the pictures are all quite shadowy but you can definitely see your bike and the license plate.”

“How much time do we have?”

“Probably two weeks.”

Ji Chang Wook sighed again. “I was hoping to put it off till right before the wedding but I guess we will need to make an announcement soon? We leave for Paris next week. Can we announce the engagement then? That way we won’t be around for the craziness.”

“Yes. I’ll call Ji Hyun’s manager and make the arrangements.”

Breaking: Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun to get married.

Glorious Entertainment and Soop Entertainment have just issued a joint statement.

“Hello dear Korean and international fans of Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun. This is Glorious Entertainment and Soop Entertainment.

“We would like to thank you to all fans who have shown a lot of interest in and love for Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun. We ask for your understanding as we convey this good news that Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun will be holding their wedding ceremony in Spring 2020.

“We ask for you to send the couple best wishes for their beautiful future together. Thank you.”

Ji Chang Wook took a deep breath and exhaled heavily after reading the joint statement his manager sent to him knowing fully well that his phone would soon explode with activity. He was glad that they had planned this release for now. He was already comfortably seated in the plane waiting for the blissful hours of being utterly uncontactable on the plane.

He reached out for Nam Ji Hyun’s hand and gave it a tight squeeze. She was looking out of the window and turned to look at him with a smile.

Immediately, his phone rang. It was Manager Bang.

“Wook, are you on the plane?”

“Yes.”

“Text me when you land.”

“Araso.”

“Jagiya, it’s done.” Ji Chang Wook said to Nam Ji Hyun. This was it. Their relationship which they had carefully kept under wraps for 3 years was now public knowledge. Even today, they travelled to the airport separately and flew without their teams so they would not attract any unnecessary attention. The teams would follow in a separate flight tomorrow.

“I know. Manager-nim just texted me.I guess we should turn our phones off now and just deal with it when we get to Paris?”

“Yes.” Ji Chang Wook replied, with another heavy exhale, not knowing what exactly what to expect when they land. 

Nam Ji Hyun leaned over and gave Ji Chang Wook a quick kiss on his cheek as the plane taxied for takeoff. He smiled slightly. 

The plane landed in Charles De Gaulle Airport. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun their phones as the plane taxied slowly to the gate. Not surprisingly, they were inundated by hundreds of missed calls and text messages from co-workers and friends.

Nam Ji Hyun laughed out loud as she looked at the group chat she shared with her SP co-workers, Choi Tae Joon, Nara and Kim Ye Won. They had separately screenshot the press release and sent it to the group chat, only with about a million exclamation marks.

Tae Joon Oppa: “I thought we were friends!!! Why did you not tell us???” followed with 5 sad face emoticons.

Ye Won Unnie: “Nam Ji Hyun!!!!! Where are you???”

Nara Unnie: “I swear these two are hiding from us!!!”

Tae Joon Oppa: “Well after hiding this big news from us, they had better be hiding from us!!!”

Ye Won Unnie: “When did this happen??? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!”

“Nara Unnie: “ME TOO!!!”

Ye Won Unnie: “SEND US A PICTURE OF THE RING!!! NOW!!!!!”

Tae Joon Oppa: “I think they are ignoring us now.”

...

“Are you reading this?” Nam Ji Hyun asked.

“What?” Ji Chang Wook replied distractedly, not tearing his eyes away from his phone.

“The SP group chat.”

“No I’ve not reached that yet. Omma says many people have called her. Maybe we should have got her to come along to Paris too.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s okay. She’s going to Jeju for a week from tomorrow. She thinks we will be swamped when we get back to Korea.”

“Probably.”

“We’ll probably need additional security. I’ll ask Bang to arrange it.”

“Bonjour from Paris!” Nam Ji Hyun texted the SP groupchat.

It immediately came to live.

Ye Won Unnie: “NAM JI HYUNNNNN”

Nara Unnie: “WE NEED DETAILS PRONTO!!!”

Nam Ji Hyun: “Hello! We are getting married? Heehee.”

Tae Joon Oppa: “When did it happen? I literally saw Wook LAST WEEK and he said NOTHING to me. NOTHING. I’m so hurt!”

Nam Ji Hyun: “Two months ago. Sorry we couldn’t say anything until the management said it was fine to announce the engagement. Wook just signed the new drama with Kim Eun Sook so they didn’t want the news to affect the casting for his drama.”

Tae Joon Oppa: “Tell Wook I fully expect a proper dinner when you guys are back. Wait, he’s in this chat too right. WE EXPECT A DINNER WHEN YOU ARE BACK WOOK!!! YOU ARE PAYING!!!”

Ye Won Unnie: “LOL. I am so happy for you both! Congratulations!”

Nara Unnie: “Yes! Ye Won and I have not stopped squealing all morning!! How did he ask?”

Nam Ji Hyun: “He filled his new apartment with flowers and proposed there!”

Ye Won Unnie: “PICTURES OF THE RING!!!”

Nara Unnie: “YES PICTURESSS!”

Nam Ji Hyun took a quick shot of her engagement ring and sent it to the groupchat.

A flurry of effusive texts followed. Nam Ji Hyun tried to stifle her laughter and turned to look at the beautiful man who was soon to be her husband. His brows were furrowed as he was engrossed reading the multudes of text messages on his phone. She sometimes still found herself marveling at how ridiculously good looking this man was. They had been on a red eye flight and this man was still looking so darn amazing. She pulled her hair quickly into a top knot.

It was time to disembark. Ji Chang Wook pulled on his black mask and sunglasses and looked over at Nam Ji Hyun, reaching over to hold her hand. Nam Ji Hyun quickly stuffed her phone into her coat pocket, pulled on her black mask and followed quickly behind Ji Chang Wook, their pinkie fingers linking lightly as they quickly made their way to customs.