The future

Submarines


Im Nayeon smiles in contentment. Everything was perfect, just like how she planned and wanted it to be.

The red carpet, the acoustic band playing, the flowers decorating the whole church, and of course, the magnificent wedding gown.

Everything she had dreamt for this wedding is in front of her now.

"My love, my everything, my whole world. I've always wondered how it would be if I'll be yours and you'll be mine until death do us part. Now, now that you're here in front of me as I say my vows, I know and I'm certain that I'd be happy and contented for the rest of my life. I promise to be there for you in any circumstances. I promise to hold you, and never let go in health and most especially in sickness. From this day forward, I know everything will change. Time flies fast and our hair would no longer be on this shades, our skins would no longer be this smooth, but I promise when it all happens, especially then, one thing that won't change is my love for you. I love you, my now, my tomorrow, my lifelong partner. I, Yoo Jeongyeon, always will love you, Minatozaki Sana."

"Oh God. Please tell me you're not crying.... Again."

"Shut up, Jihyo." Nayeon argues, for if there's one thing that 'accidentally' pushes the "Crying mess" of Im Nayeon's buttons, it's this. "You know I'm a er for these things. I mean, come on. That was sweet, right?"

"Yes, I know." Jihyo clicks her tongue. "You but yeah, it was indeed sweet."

"And that's why I----"

"And I know that's the reason why you chose this job. No need to repeat, geez, woman. Every-damn-time."

 

-----//-----

 

Now, Im Nayeon - a very big name in the wedding planner's field - is known as a perfectionist.

She wants everything she manages to be as absolute and as flawless as it can be.

Fortunately, all is well and everything is going with her plans and objectives.

Until someone ruined it for her.

"Hey, lady. Do you want to know what I think about this reception here? The food?"

Nayeon - who always goes by the saying 'The costumers are always right.' - is very much ready to say 'of course.' as a sign of respect to one of her costumers whom apparently (as Nayeon can vividly remember) wasn't on the wedding ceremony.

"I think it's very pretentious. I mean, I don't know if this goes with the wedding's motif or anything but seriously, who would enjoy these kinds of grass?" The woman complains as she gestures on the leftover salad leaves on her plate.

"First of all, miss, I think those aren't grass." Nayeon reasons, trying her very best to put up her smile. "Those are some of the very, i mean very very expensive vegetables out there."

"Well, yeah, they are pretty expensive but who cares when they don't reach my stomach and they aren't even that yummy. You don't think so, lady?"

And for someone who she's stranger with, this girl sure babbles a lot.

"What I want to say is, I came from Japan and I really thought my cousin's wedding would be some sort of a ticket for me to freely eat variety of good Korean foods for the first time."

So, the woman is a foreigner and that explains a lot for Nayeon since there's no way she wouldn't be recognized by anyone who's on the range of her age. (Especially, because she has a yellow badge pinned on her left side of shirt and maybe Japanese wedding planners have no such things. Besides, the woman's accent is very new, very different for Nayeon's sensitive ears.)

"But look what I got in here." The woman continues, still having no idea that she's complaining on the one who perfectly organized the occasion. "A.... grass."

"Okay, you know what..." Nayeon purses her lips, thanking all the saints for not letting her snap right there and then. Though she thinks snapping was a better idea than saying something she definitely would regret because clearly, no stranger would agree to this, "I'm free tomorrow so how about I bring you to this place I know where they serve the best Korean foods?"

The moment the invitation went out of Nayeon's mouth, she found herself mentally chanting, 'Please say no, please say no, please say no.'

But then again, for someone who she's stranger with, this girl sure has a big trust.

"Ohhh. Now, that's the free ticket I'm talking about!"

Nayeon almost whines. Now, there's no way she could back out.

"And hey lady, my name's Momo. Hirai Momo from Japan."

 

-----//-----

 

It started as a simple dinner.

Nayeon has been in a lot of formal meetings before and so it became a habit for her to talk only when it is necessary for her to do so. That night, Nayeon couldn't sleep thinking that Momo might have thought of her as 'boring.'

Fortunately, Momo didn't.

It then became a series of invitation from both parties; Momo always asks for Nayeon's most favorite restaurants and then eventually just asking Nayeon if she could keep her company - because almost always, according to Momo, her cousin is too busy to go with her.

Nayeon started it as a joke at first, ("Try coming back to Korea again and I'll bring you to more great restaurants") but after seeing Momo go back to her office every first and last week of the month - Nayeon realizes that the latter actually takes some jokes seriously.

She then found herself looking for more places that she could bring Momo to.

It went on for six months. Momo had been coming back and forth to Korea for six months.

 

-----//-----

 

There was a rainy evening Nayeon had decided to bring Momo to her place instead.

Nayeon admits to herself that she's not good in cooking, but she tries. The rain was falling too hard, and some of the ways got too jammed that cars can't pass through anymore - Nayeon knows they'll reach the restaurant by the time it's already closed.

She was halfway in frying the egg when she'd decided to give up because apparently, she had actually mistook the sugar as salt.

And she would surely rather not make Momo eat any of that.

But Momo had assured her by saying that - "No matter what the taste is, it would be my favorite." It was the first meal Nayeon cooked for her anyway.

The rain may not just be the only one falling, Nayeon realizes.


-----//-----

 

"Seriously, when is your bride coming?"

Nayeon shifts her gaze from the door to Jihyo, letting out a chuckle, "Quit it, we're so nowhere near the marriage phase. What are you talking about?"

"Nothing, just, aren't you thinking about it? You and Momo's future?" Jihyo asks, leaning back to her swivel chair.

"I don't know. I just -" Nayeon heaves a sigh as she slumps down the sofa, finally realizing that she's been pacing back and forth of her office for half an hour for she could feel the soreness on her feet now. "I like having her around. I love her, really, but I don't want to throw in some serious future stuffs in our relationship. I might just freak her out and besides, I don't even know if Momo's interested in those kinds of things."

"Nayeon, Momo looks at you the way people look at their partners in the altar." Jihyo states, getting the older girl's full attention. She's been to a lot of weddings, she's certain about these things. "You've always been dedicated to your job, you've always made sure your clients would get the weddings they wanted. You've made your parents proud now, you've unselfishly given them all of your time an effort.

Don't you think it's time for you to be selfish now and fulfill that dream you've always wanted ever since you were 10?

 

-----//-----

 

With a knock on the door, Nayeon sees Momo make her way inside her office. She smiles, and it just makes Nayeon do so, too. It just seems to her that everything Momo does is contagious.

Momo arrived an hour late, having their flight delayed but Nayeon doesn't mind - she thinks Momo arrived at the right time. "So, do you think we can grab a bite first before we go to your place?"

It's not that Nayeon doesn't think about getting married - Because she does, all the time, ever since Momo became hers.

Maybe Jihyo was right when she said she's always on her job, and that she is not focusing much on herself too.

And if she's going to start being selfish, she should start planning her very own wedding, now. Something she knows would probably happen soon.

With a genuine smile playing on Nayeon's lips, she answered, "I do."

 

 

-----//-----//-----//-----

 

 

 

Hellooooo! I'm a shameless one so I'll be using this update as a shameless promotion of my new fic. HAHA!

 

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1320196/here-for-you-jihyo-mina-romcom-nayeon-dahyun-chaeyoung-momo-sana-twice-tzuyu-chaeyu-jeongyeon-twice0t9