Not Anymore

Submarines

 

 

 

 

"Are you happy?" Nayeon carefully asked as though it is the most sensitive topic to discuss. She cannot say that she wasn't prepared, she just didn't think that it would happen tonight and this isn't how she thought their date would turn out. "Are you still happy?"

 

"The moments we've shared for the past five years are the happiest moments in my whole life." Momo smiled, though it did not reach her eyes. Her barely even considered as a smile faded as she said the next sentence, a harsh truth that she had been trying to neglect to save what's left of them. "But I'm not happy, Nayeon... I mean--- I wish I was, but I'm not anymore."

 

Five years was indeed a very long run, and Momo doesn't know when she started getting tired of it, neither does Nayeon.

 

They cannot say that they didn't expect this to happen. It has actually became a long time coming, but they should have known that expecting it to happen won't make it hurt less. 

 

Because frankly, falling out of love hurts just as much because it is full of abstract reasons.

 

Falling out of love made them stay up all night, feeling absolutely nothing beside their partner. It just leaves them wondering as to why does it feel empty even though the person who makes (used to make) their day complete is there, presently beside them.

 

"We're breaking up, aren't we?" Nayeon concluded, which would certainly make them both wonder for the next few days as to where did they go wrong and how it all came to this.

 

Breaking up was the only thing left to do. Both of them were just too stubborn, too afraid of the consequences to admit it before. 

 

They both were too afraid of the promises they had made for each other to turn into weapons, weapons which would be used to attack the other and accuse them with "you said you won't ever leave" followed by a, "you said you'd stay forever."

 

Because it was the cruel truth, frequently, the person who initiates the break up would always be the one at fault, would always be the one to break all the promises.

 

But it was no one's fault. 

 

It wasn't Nayeon's fault when she started keeping things to herself and stopped talking about the most random things that happened on her day to Momo.

 

It wasn't Momo's fault when she stopped paying attention to Nayeon's stories and started caring a little less and a little less.

 

The fault wasn't on them both. Because unfortunately in love, there's nobody to be blamed when their love for each other decides to leave. 

 

Momo took her time to think, to contemplate whether if it really is time to let this happen, before finally making up her mind and briefly answering, "I'm afraid so."

 

Momo thought it was ironic because for the past few days, Nayeon and her had been struggling to find something in common, something they would mutually understand and this was actually the first thing they had agree on for a very long time, and the moment they had finally found something, it's this.

 

It was inevitable and Momo thought it was suddenly hard to breathe when a tear rolled out of Nayeon's eye.

 

Because even when she'd fallen out of love, Nayeon is, and will always be the most beautiful person even when she's crying. 

 

"It's gonna be fine." Momo said, more to herself than to Nayeon. "We'll be alright."

 

Nayeon agreed because she knows that by time, they will be. "It's probably for the best."

 

"One last kiss before we go on separate ways?" Nayeon could just cackle at Momo 's silly suggestion, but then again, she didn't refuse, because she thinks she needs it too to remind herself that despite the ugly things that happened these past few months, they in fact had shared a lot of good times, best times. 

 

It was still there, the butterflies in Momo's stomach when she felt Nayeon's lips on hers, but it doesn't linger anymore. It doesn't ignite anything anymore, but she savored every little feelings that the kiss made her feel.

 

It was like their first kiss. Gentle, soft and innocent. The only difference now is that it was not meant to say "I love you." but "I'm letting you go." instead. 

 

Momo opened her eyes to see Nayeon's lovely face after the kiss, because she's certain that she won't be seeing it for a very long time. Nayeon was reflecting Momo's expression, and thankfully, both of them were relieved. 

 

Maybe, just maybe, if they meet again under the same place and if they never had forgotten about each other... then they'll take the risk and continue ehere they left off.