The Club

Submarines

"Jeongyeon?" The woman referred as 'Jeongyeon' turned to the soft voice that just called her as she was locking the house's main door. "You're late."

 

She got home a little late, but normally, it wasn't something her mom would scold her for. Unless, there's a certain reason why she shouldn't have went home late. "Momo is upstairs. She has been waiting for you."

 

Jeongyeon heaved a tired sigh. She should have went home earlier but she couldn't. Not when their manager insisted that they should practice more on the korean traditional dance where the 4 foreign members aren't included. "I know."

 

"Ask her to eat, will you? She refused to eat when I called her." Her mom reminded and Jeongyeon could only sigh once more as she headed to where Momo could be.

 

Hirai Momo is more of a sister than just a group member. Sure, her family had spent time together with the other members when her parents invited all of them to have dinner in her home but her mom, dad and even her sister favors Momo the most that her mom even let Momo have their spare bedroom since their group wasn't provided with their own dorm and Momo has no relatives nearby unlike the others where she could stay for a while.

 

Reaching the last step of the stairs, Jeongyeon prepared herself on what kind of situation she will be encountering.

 

Momo could be a crying mess in her room and sulking, could even be trashing the whole room and Jeongyeon could just think of how she will clean the room right after,  and lastly, Momo may even be hurting herself. (that thought made Jeongyeon walk faster)

 

But Jeongyeon didn't see any sign of Hirai Momo inside when she opened the door of Momo's room. 

 

Instead, she heard light sounds of thumping and Jeongyeon finally realized now where Momo is.

 

Sure enough, Jeongyeon caught sight of Momo in their attic's mini gym, punching/ destroying a poor punching bag.

 

"Hey." Jeongyeon started, carefully walking closer to Momo who is by now covered in sweat.

 

Momo, acknowledging the owner of the punching bag's appearance answered in between punches. "Let. Me. Just. Use. This. Thing."

 

"Momo." Jeongyeon lost count as to how many times she had sighed. "Take it easy."

 

It fell on deaf ears.

 

Jeongyeon should have known better that Momo is a stubborn one, hence, she said something she knows that would get Momo's attention. "Would ice cream make you feel better?"

 

Momo, to Jeongyeon's surprise, never answered.

 

Jeongyeon pursed her lips. If ice cream wouldn't make Momo feel better then nothing else will, and Jeongyeon doesn't know what to do with that.

 

Awkwardly, Jeongyeon just stood near Momo, not knowing what to do. She could stop Momo from restraining herself, but Jeongyeon thought that it is something Momo has got to do right now, but if the moment Momo seeks for her help comes, she would make it sure that she'd finally know what to do. 

 

"I really thought she'd say yes, Jeong." Momo finally said something and Jeongyeon is somehow relieved that she wasn't the one to start the talk about the incident, but she isn't sure she'd like where this would go for Momo is now fighting back her tears and punching harder. 

 

If it was any normal day, Jeongyeon would have laughed and teasingly say, "Well, that's because you're ugly that's why she didn't say 'yes'" but this isn't any normal day. In fact, this is one of the unfortunate days of Momo and Jeongyeon wouldn't make fun of that and do anything that would hurt the girl more.

 

Jeongyeon cannot find the right words to answer that with. She's almost certain their oldest member loves Momo, loves her more than anyone, but with Nayeon turning Momo down earlier today at the Jype building's rooftop where Momo even prepared a surprise (with Jeongyeon's help of course) she doesn't know what to think of anymore, but she can't blame Nayeon for that. Nayeon is just seriously hard to read sometimes. "Give her time, maybe she'll realize later on that she made a mistake."

 

"I don't know, Jeong." Momo stopped giving attention to the punching bag,

and finally removed her gloves which made Jeongyeon hiss at Momo's visible reddened knuckles. She leaned her hands on her knees as though trying to breathe steadily before finally letting her back hit the cold floor. Momo closed her eyes and said the words she should have been aware of since the beginning "Maybe we were not meant to be. Maybe it was just me who had feelings all along."

 

"Yeah, I know how that feels and that ." Jeongyeon agreed, letting herself sit parallel to Momo, because if there's somebody who had been going through that 'y' feeling all this time, that would be her.

 

"God, I'm so stupid." Momo admitted, for she hadn't thought of the possible consequences of confessing to Nayeon. All she thought of was the happy outcomes. "So stupid, and now I'll be forced to act normal as if nothing's going on with me around her."

 

"Yeah, acting normal is the hardest thing... Damn, I was this close to punching Jihyo earlier when she was rambling about how Mina and Chaeyoung are 'goals' while we were going out of the building." Jeongyeon ranted as she lifted her hands from her pocket and showed her index finger, her thumb and a very small space in between them.

 

Momo couldn't help but be curious. "What happened?"

 

"Well, Mina came right after our practice and fetched Chaeyoung earlier. Mina could have used this day off of hers to rest, but no, she took her time to bring Chaeyoung home. Mina's so sweet and such a perfect girlfriend, I hate it so much." Momo somehow laughed at Jeongyeon's bitter tone. Momo had been too busy with her own love life that she lost track of her friend's deep dark secret that only her knows. How could she almost forget that this friend of hers is head over heels for Myoui Mina who is apparently taken. Happily and contently taken by Son Chaeyoung. "So I'm not any less stupider than you." 

 

Momo thinks it was actually ironic how Jeongyeon and her switched positions. Months ago, it was her who was comforting Jeongyeon when Mina and Chaeyoung finally announced that they were dating, and even showed off their newly bought couple rings. (Momo thought those were some of the good times because Nayeon had suggested in a whisper that they should get a 'couple' ring too.)

 

And Momo would never forget how hilarious it was when Jeongyeon bitterly made a side comment about how ugly the rings were, making Chaeyoung frown.

 

"Guess we're on the same side now, then." Momo proclaimed. "Both our feelings are not reciprocated by our loved ones."

 

And Momo could only laugh heartily when Jeongyeon said, "Then, welcome to the club! The unrequited club."