Chapter three

Venefica (On hold)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Raehee's mind short-circuited. She couldn't believe that there's a vampire standing in front of her and talking to her.

It took her brain a moment to react. She quickly got ready to spell him. "No need for violence now, human. I just want to talk." He chuckled.
 
She refused to listen to him, and he felt that she'll spell him so he grabbed her arm. But she was smarter, and poured a potion on his arm. He hissed as his skin burned and moved back.

She ran away as fast as she can, but she saw the other vampire that was close to her nearby. She didn't know what to do, of course she wouldn't be lucky enough to run from the same vampire twice. It might be even worse.

They could be a team.

The vampire noticed a movement out of the corner of his eyes, and he was about to catch her, but the vampire that she burned grabbed her again, and pulled her to a dark street.

"I believe you're smart enough not to make a sound, that vampire isn't friendly like me." Despite the situation, it –he?—was smirking.

"Why should I trust you, vampire?" She spat his name, like it was an insult. "It's not about trust, human," he playfully spat her name the same way, "it's about me not wanting you to be a meal to another vampire." 

Her heartbeat was going crazy; she wasn't sure how the other vampire was going to miss it.

"Why? Want to finish me yourself?" She would've laughed sarcastically, but it wasn't the right time; they were hiding, after all.

"As surprising as it may be for you, I don't need to feed all the time. I just need to know something." He seemed a bit irritated with her and she didn't want to get to his bad side, not when he had her in a place where he could easily kill her without anyone seeing. Not that anyone would interfere if they did see.

"Know what?" She demanded.

The vampire opened its mouth to answer her, but he couldn't say anything as the vampire passed quickly near them. He knew that the vampire could smell him, but he wasn't an interest for him. And this human –well that's what he wants to find out.

She felt mildly relieved when the vampire passed them without noticing. Maybe he smelled the vampire, too and thought that she was his meal.

She shuddered at the thought. Then something else made her shudder.

The vampire that was holding her was sniffing her. "You're quite strange indeed."

"Do you want me to burn you again? Get away from me." She didn't know where the courage was coming from, but she felt her blood boiling, she would never let a vampire sniff her like a plate of food.

She probably was for the vampire.

The vampire stepped away from her, but its eyes still had a dangerous glint in it.

"So, how did you do it?" The vampire said casually, as if they were old friends catching up on the lost time. "Do what?" She asked.

"Hide everything. Your heartbeat, you smell, everything." He said and Raehee was more confused than ever.

"I don't know what you're talking about." But she then began thinking about the other vampire that couldn't find her. Could it be..?

But that's impossible.

"Oh, don't you?" He smiled then moved closer to her, sniffing her again. That moment she wasn't so caught up in her fear so, she moved to spell him, and this time she succeeding in burning him.

He flinched in pain, and while he was distracted, she started running.

It was a stupid thing really. She knew that the vampire can easily catch up to her if it wanted to. Plus, that strategy didn't work before.

Strangely, it didn't follow her. She thought it may be really hurt but she quickly dismissed the idea. The vampire let her go by its choice.

She closed the door to her apartment, feeling better as her house wards welcomed her. She looked ahead and caught sight of the discarded potion.

She started connecting a few things in her head. Could that be what the vampire was talking about?

She couldn't believe a vampire's word, but she couldn't ignore the matter, either.

She had escaped from two vampires in one night, so she didn't exactly want to think about anything at all. But she realized that she dropped the bag of potion ingredients that she put herself in danger for.

She wished she could spell herself.
_______________________________________________________

"How could you let this happen?" He said angrily. He couldn't believe that the whole nest couldn't stop this from happening.

"But, sir, he was too subtle." The vampire said helplessly. "I've teamed up with the nest because I thought it would be powerful enough to give me what I want; now it's just a waste of time for me." He looked at the frightened vampire. He was probably young. Poor thing looked scared out of his mind.

"I want to know where he is, so don't slack off. You wouldn't want to cross me." He said darkly.

"We have been doing all we can. He was spotted earlier, but, sir, I don't know anymore information. I swear to my immortal life." He could tell that the vampire was trying to gain some confidence. He didn't want to appear weak, or unworthy of his mission.

"Spotted earlier? I need to know more about this. Who has spotted him?" He said in his leader voice, it was effective on new vampires. They were always easily intimidated.

"Have you been terrorizing my poor Sungjun?" An amused voice was heard through the room.

"I don't have time for your jokes. What is going on, Kangbyun?" He asked impatiently. "He was seen with that girl." Kangbyun knew that this information would be precious to him, and he used it very well.

"What are you saying? Why didn't you tell me beforehand?" He demanded.

"You could say that I was waiting for the right moment." Kangbyun toyed with the glass in his hand. It was ridiculous to drink blood from a cup, but he insisted that it was more elegant. He just thought that he was too old, and too inhuman to care for this.

"Could you get off your high horse for one goddamn second and be serious? Do you realize how dangerous this is?" He was close to yelling.

Kangbyun's face darkened and he snarled. "I will not be disrespected in my own nest, I do realize this very well, and I've been gaining too valuable information, so you shall respect me, and respect this companionship." Kangbyun was angry, he could feel it but his demeanor always stayed calm, he wondered about it a lot.

He felt that he had crossed a line. "My apologies, but it's really worrying me and my nest members." He bowed slightly.

"I understand. My loyal spies will locate him tonight, and then we will be ready to get him." Kangbyun walked with smooth movement to stand in front of him.

"Do not worry, Jungha. Your child will be with us in no time." Kangbyun smiled, showing his fangs.

Jungha was about to say more, but Kangbyun interrupted him. "And for the girl, don't worry. I tend to take good care of her, too."

Jungha was still worried, but he decided to trust Kangbyun. After all, he was older than him, and more powerful.

He hoped he wouldn't regret his decision.
_______________________________________________________

Raehee woke up feeling exhausted. She had a dream about her grandmother, again. She really didn't understand, her grandmother died a long time ago, when she was five years old. She couldn't remember her at all.

Her mother always talked about her greatly, she seemed like a great person to Raehee. Her mother said that she was very happy about her being born and she loved her so much.

The only problem, that Raehee couldn't remember her, even if she tried.

Maybe the dreams expressed her deep desire to meet her grandmother. She wished she could remember anything from these dreams. She always had them then she woke up and all she could remember is her grandmother's blurry face, but never any of the dream's events.

It was frustrating.

It was even more frustrating that her mother is no longer here to tell her stories about her grandmother. Why couldn't she dream of her parents instead? She remembers them and misses them so much. Her life was never the same without them. Even her brother wasn't here with her and she didn't know where he is.

She didn't want to go down that dark path, but she couldn't help it.

Raehee's life was empty. She didn't have anything beside her magic, if she was any good at that. She had lost everything she once had, her family, her house, and her happiness.

It was all taken so suddenly. She couldn't even remember the last time she truly smiled, let alone, laughed.

Her memories remained, though. Remained to keep her company, but also, to haunt her. Her memories were her hell and heaven in one package.

She always thought that a friend would have been a good thing in her situation, but she just couldn't have friends. She was so into her little world, that she stopped knowing how to interact with others. Others weren't so fond of her anyway.

She looked at the book that has always rested on her nightstand, and then she remembered that she had to buy new ingredients since she dropped what she bought last night.

Last night.

It was a very weird night. She has gotten away from two vampires. She even interacted with one. It was a huge thing, not just because she had a very dull life. It would be huge for anyone with a brain.

She couldn't stop thinking about what the vampire said—about him not hearing her heartbeat.

Hide everything. Your heartbeat, you smell, everything

As much as she wanted to erase these words, she couldn't take a vampire's word, she couldn't. Her mind kept connecting its words to the potion she accidently made before.

She had read enough books to know that there wasn't a potion or a spell like that. She also couldn't believe that she invented something by mistake. She had to ask someone with more experience.

Maybe she could ask Minsung to ask the shop owner. She said that she was a very powerful witch. She had to make another trip to the shop anyway.

And she really needed to stop wasting money.

And stop getting herself in more danger.

She went to the living room; she has been practicing a tracing spell for a while now. She wanted to trace something. Something that will lead her to her brother.

The note that was left in her house on that dreadful day.

Of course she tried to trace it with the help of witches, or sorcerers, but they got nothing. The vampire that took him was smart and it hid its trace very will, the spell would lead them to a small shop downtown then the trace would disappear.

The shop wasn't anything special, it was small and uninhibited and when she got a little brave to explore it, in daylight, she didn't find anything out of ordinary, no vampire energy, nothing.

They would tell her that the vampire hid its trace from here because if it was found then the whole ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter