Chapter 3

Endless Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here,” Somi gives on of the ice creams to Sejeong who waits for her outside the store.

“Thanks,” the corners of turn up. “Mr. Lee told me that we’re going to have a National Basketball Championship next week, including the boys and the girls.” Sejeong says as they turn at the corner near their houses.

“So, you guys are going to have intensive training from now?”

“Yup,” she nods. “Starting tomorrow morning until noon. Everyday. For a week. Kill me, please.”

“You’re going to skip the classes?” Somi sounds surprise.

“I’m afraid so,” Sejeong groans. “Ugh… I hate morning exercise.”

Somi chuckles, finding a grumpy Sejeong cute. “Bear with it for a week, Sejeong-ah.”

Sejeong exhales loudly as they arrived in front of Somi’s house. “Anyway, aren’t you going to practice more? It’s three days away, right?”

“Chungha said nothing. So, no.” Somi meets Sejeong’s eyes. “Want to come in?”

Sejeong smiles apologetically. “No. you’ve been working hard since last week. You deserve some rest. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Go on,” Sejeong gestures with her hands toward Somi’s front door.

“Alright. Good night, Sejeong.”

Sejeong waves her hand and watches Somi opens the door. “Good night. Have a good sleep!” she shouts and Somi replies ‘you too’ before closing the door. Sejeong crosses the road and goes into her house, heading straight to her bedroom, a smile never leaves her face.

*****

The sound of knife hitting the chopping board and water running down the sink wake her up. With eyes half open, she checks the clock on the nightstand. She groans when she realizes it’s still five o’clock in the morning.

She gets out of the bed and heads straight to the kitchen where she believes the sound is coming for. She furrows her eyebrows when she sees her daughter standing near the stove, still wearing her pajamas.

“Honey?”

“Mom?” she turns her head in surprise.

“What are you doing, Som?” her mom walks closer with curiosity.

Somi flashes a sheepish grin. “Cooking.”

“For?”

“Sejeong. She has practice this morning till noon. I’m afraid she’ll skip the lunch.”

“Ah. What are you cooking? Want my help?”

“Grilled chicken with baked potato and salad. And, no. I got it, Mom.”

She gives Somi a motherly smile. “That’s very nice of you. Anyway, would you please make more for me and your father?”

“Mom, please.” Somi grunts and pushes her mother out of the kitchen. “Go back to sleep.”

Her mother is laughing while walking away. “Fine. Fine. Be careful, okay?”

Somi finished her cooking when the clock almost hit six thirty. She decided to make pancakes for her parents while she’s at it to help her mother out by doing one of the morning chores.

Somi is not a very great cook but she has a lot of interest in cooking lately. Sejeong is the one who already tasting all of Somi’s cooking attempts which not all of them turned out to be good.

“Som, Sejeong’s here. She’s waiting outside.” Her mother is knocking her door.

Somi wears her blazer in high-speed when her watch shows seven fifteen. She rushes outside her room, kisses her parents, and meets Sejeong outside of the front door.

“Why are you up so late?” Sejeong asks while walking toward the bus stop. “Did you sleep late? Had a nightmare?”

Somi’s mouth curves into a smile. “No, Sejeong. I’m okay. I was just tired.” She lies. Somi doesn’t want Sejeong to know that she got up early in the morning to prepare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter