An Unusual Meeting

Sweet Nothings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why is it so damn hot?

, I usually don’t care about global warming and stuff, but this weather is killing me!

Yoongi wasn’t having the best morning in the world, simply because he wasn’t a morning person at all and yet here he was – currently walking towards a random coffee shop at 7am in the morning, practically still half-asleep.

The weather was actually pretty normal – neither too chilly nor hot for the end of March, but as always Yoongi overslept (considering that he managed to get up at 6.30am was a damn miracle itself), so he was in a hurry and he grabbed the first clothes that he set his eyes on, which happened to be dark, almost black jeans, a slightly oversized white t-shirt and his favorite leather jacket.

Yeah, it was probably that… the jacket. It was actually pretty thick and Yoongi usually wore it even during the Winter, so why in the world did he decide to wear it when Spring had already knocked on the world’s door last week?

He blamed it on the lack of sleep, on the ungodly hours he spent writing reports, on the few skipped meals because running from the university for a lecture to the hospital, where he was currently an intern at, was actually quite the task.

People really have no idea how tough medical students actually have it, if your grades weren’t good enough to get a scholarship or you didn’t have any luck and got a ty roommate at your dorm, who always talked or brought someone over… well, you were pretty much screwed.

Luckily for Yoongi, he didn’t have to worry about any of that, because yeah – he could be damn lazy and he knew it, but he was actually a rather decent student and he moved out of his dorm after the first year, because his parents told him that they had found a small apartment close to his campus and they would pay the rent.

Yoongi refused at first, because he didn’t want to accept money he hadn’t earned himself, but an apartment of his own was going to make things much easier, so in the end he gave in, but promised himself that once he became a doctor he would pay back every cent.

His relationship with his family wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t all too bad either. His parents had always been more interested in Yoongi’s older brother, who had been an upright student and an obedient son ever since a young age, not like his usually quiet brother who preferred staying in the shadows and was actually quite the rebel, because he barely cared about people’s opinions and did whatever he deemed right. Although Yoongi did fight with both his father and mother sometimes, they were good people. They were definitely proud of the path which their son had chosen and bragged here and there after he got accepted in one of Korea’s most aspiring universities.

At first glance, Yoongi didn’t look like someone who would actually go to a hospital to treat people, quite the opposite. He actually gave off the vibe of someone who sent people to a hospital for treatment. He knew he didn’t have the best mouth filter and crude words sometimes slipped from his mouth, he had even cursed in front of his patients a few times (Thank god that the professor who was in charge of his training was somehow never in the room to hear that) and maybe he did look a bit grumpy, a bit. His eyes and overall appearance didn’t make him look like the friendliest person on Earth and he totally wasn’t, but there was no need for people to spit nonsense behind his back either.

There were rumors that he got accepted in the university simply because his family was wealthy (Okay, he did not come from a poor family but his parents weren’t ting gold either, so people should know when to keep their mouths shut) or the stories how he threatened most of the teachers, so he could get good grades. Seriously? Why were people so interested in him in the first place?

At least now, Yoongi had black hair, because during his first 2 years, he walked around the campus with wild blonde locks and that made him look even more out of place, but he figured that it wouldn’t be appropriate to go to the hospital like that. Not that he cared much, but he wasn’t actually as senseless as people believed him to be.

Some of his patients didn’t even dare to look him in the eyes though, because of the fearful tales they had heard about him. But Yoongi was fine with that, he just wanted to do his job and when he did, grateful patients and family members came on their own to thank him and wish him an aspiring career and in those moments Yoongi felt alive.

He was still in training and the cases which were assigned to him were not that severe, he was still only an intern, but there were some 5th or even 6th year students who would still be clueless about what to do in certain situations. However, Yoongi’s brain worked just as fast as his mouth when inappropriate words fell from his lips and when he received a simple ‘Thank you’, he just knew that he had made the right choice four years ago when he chose the medical major.

It was a spontaneous decision, just like everything in Yoongi’s life. His life as a high school student was rather simple – he mostly avoided people and crowded places, he preferred being alone, he didn’t have many friends but he wasn’t an outcast either. His only hobbies besides sleeping and eating were playing basketball and he still thinks he’s rather good at it, even though his skills might be a little bit rusty now, because he hasn’t played in months and reading mangas, no matter how busy he was, he always squeezed in some time for a volume or two.

And just like any other high-schooler, Yoongi was clueless when it came to the future, job, life after high school, but when he was in 11th grade, his older brother was admitted in hospital. He was a young and up until now healthy man, so the doctors in ER seemed to have more important things to do, but as Yoongi held onto his brother’s hand and watched his face twitch in pain, he wanted to shout and tell a goddamn doctor to come and check on his older sibling, but a minute later a rather old man in white coat told him to step away and he tried his best to help Yoongi’s Hyung.

An hour later, Yoongi’s brother was already in the surgery room for an appendectomy, because his vermiform appendix had to be removed and even though the older was still in pain for days, the worse was avoided, because of that doctor’s fair judgment – he paid attention to his brother’s case even thought it might not have seemed that urgent, even though he wasn’t bleeding or gasping for air, that man was a doctor and doctors saved lives, at any time and in any place.

And for the first time in his life, Yoongi looked at someone and thought ‘He’s so cool.’ The boy had never been more grateful to anyone in his entire life and he wondered what it would feel like to be on the other side – to be looked at with the same eyes that he was giving to that old man in white coat, what it would feel like to save someone’s life.

So finding an answer to those questions became Yoongi’s life mission and he completely ignored the snickers and whispers behind his back, because he was doing something he wanted, he was doing this for himself and not for someone else, not because somebody had asked him to, he barely listened to his parents anyway and really, people should learn to mind their own damn business.

And now, four years later, Yoongi had found an answer to the questions which had started all of this, but new ones appeared every day, he was simply fascinated by the human’s anatomy and science appeared much more interesting now, besides things got even better when he started visiting the hospital last year.

Sure, he was even more tired than before and his body constantly craved for sleep, sleep, sleep (Once, Yoongi had a day off and it was Saturday, he didn’t have any lectures, so he slept for 18 hours straight and when he woke up he felt even more disorientated than the day before and he really didn’t know how that was possible.), but he felt good because in his eyes, he was leading a rather meaningful life.

And on the days which he could barely open his eyes, his body craved for something else as well – coffee.

Yoongi almost skipped to the coffee shop that was now in front of him, he had brought coffee from that place a few times before but even though Yoongi was a coffee addict, the substance tasted pretty much the same to him no matter where he bought it from.

His favorite drink was Iced Americano, he ordered it even during winter, he got a sore throat but he had no regrets. However, he knew he would have to stay until late at the hospital today, making rounds, checking up on patients, writing reports and stuff, so he needed something stronger, which is why he ordered an espresso with no sugar and he absolutely hated bitter drinks, but he needed to wake up.

He sat at a table in the corner and waited for his order to arrive, he just hoped that the cashier remember right and the drink would be in a paper cup, ready to go, because as much as Yoongi hated drinking his coffee while walking, he had to be in the hospital in like…

He glanced at the rolex on his wrist (He had used most of his scholarship money to get it on his last birthday, it was his treasure really) and saw that it was already 7:12am and he had to arrive at the hospital in less than 20 minutes, it seemed possible, but only if his coffee magically appeared in front of him in the next 10 seconds.

He was getting slightly anxious now, because he was supposed to be visiting some patients in the morning with Professor Park and that guy was a real pain in the . He totally hated Yoongi, simply because he actually dared to talk back to him and not nod like a trained dog to every word he said.

The heat and fatigue had already worsened Yoongi’s mood and he definitely did not want to deal with that ty professor first thing in the morning, so he swiftly got up with the might to go to the counter and ask when his order would be ready, but when he got up, someone bumped into his back and spilled coffee all over his sleeve.

“What the hell??” Yoongi hissed, as he saw how his lovely jacket was now covered with coffee and even some whipped cream, because the jerk who had ordered it apparently had a sweet tooth.

“I-I’m so sorry!”

The boy Yoongi had bumped into (apparently a waiter, judging by his uniform), apologized, eyes wide and frantically moving around the place. Technically, it wasn’t even the guy’s fault but Yoongi was too tired and already too annoyed to care.

“Can this morning can any worse?” He mumbled under his breath and eyed the black-haired boy, who was still staring at him, not even noticing that the other half of the coffee had stained his own navy, striped shirt.

The boy let down the cup on a nearby table and grabbed a few napkins from it, he then took a hold of Yoongi’s sleeve and desperately tried to remove the coffee, but it didn’t seem to be working. Before Yoongi could even register

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter