part ii

This Summer, I Say

"Hey, any idea on what club activity you'd like to join?" Yewon asked Eunbi as they strolled around the campus after having their lunch together. 

"No, probably Street Dance because I have no idea what else to," Eunbi sticked her bottom lip out after a sigh, "You?"

"I'm set on rock-climbing. My brother challenged me to overcome my fear of heights, and I can't lose to him," Yewon said with slight conviction, but Eunbi managed to identify that the girl would also really like to prove to her brother her abilities. 

Eunbi closes her dropped jaw, "Good luck with that!"

"Thanks, I really need that," Yewon answered and they both laugh. "Hey, Yuna unnie's in Street Dance too," she then added. 

"Really?" Eunbi found her response slightly overboard. 

"Yeah, I guess you can just check them out when they have practice this week. They're looking for more freshies to join," Yewon smiled. 

"Will do," a small smile spreaded on Eunbi's lips, "thanks!"

 

"Eunbi yah," Yuna smiles as the girls plop on the ground at the end of a tiring practice session. 

Eunbi turns from the boys who are trying out some new moves on the floor and to Yuna. She realises that she's smiling at her. Her breath stops for a while. 

"Yeah sunbaenim," her lips crack to a bright smile. Eunbi catches her breath from both the dancing and Yuna's breathtaking smile, and wonders why she isn't yet immune to this because she literally sees Yuna thrice every week for practice and it has been three months. 

"Yewonnie told me about it, the summer vacation," Yuna starts, "I agreed!" she then adds with a grin.

Eunbi freezes upon hearing the news; she feels her flesh break out in goosebumps, and her heart beating hard against her chest. Her thoughts halt. Now what should I say? the sentence flashes in her mind.

"You don't mind, do you?" Yuna's smile drops, and so does her tone, after realising the lack of response.

"No!" Eunbi is quick to deny, immediately shaking her head with a smile. She pants a little, only then realising she's been holding her breath. 

Yuna smiles once again, and Eunbi feels a gush of warmth in her heart. "I was worried you'd be-"

"No, of course not," Eunbi smiles, though she feels a mess inside of her, wondering why she's interrupting Yuna now. "I'm looking forward, sunbaenim," she earnestly says, and finally releases a relaxed, genuine smile.

Yuna reciprocates that with a grateful look in her eyes. "Me too," Yuna replies.

The conversation dies and the two are back to looking around their surroundings. Eunbi's eyes land on a fellow freshman packing up. She realises she should leave as well.

"Annyeong Eunbi," Eunbi smiles and waves in return when Juyeon, a friendly, fellow freshman smiles at her upon leaving. Eunbi turns away again after that, her eyes landing on her reflection in the mirror. She sees Yuna's reflection in the mirror, too, and unconsciously begins to admire the face.

"Are you staying here?" the two turn to see Chaeyeon, another sophomore, directing a question to Yuna. Eunbi turns back realising how she's irrelevant. 

"Ah no, I'm leaving soon," Yuna answers, "just cooling down a bit."

Chaeyeon laughs, "It's okay if you wanna stay you know."

Feeling the awkwardness creep in, Eunbi gathers her belongings and stands up to leave. Just as she is about to walk away, she feels Yuna do so as well. She walks on anyway, though (obviously consciously) with slower footsteps (just so Yuna can catch up with her). When she opens the door, Yuna is right behind her and she gladly holds the door for the latter.

"By the way," Yuna starts when they are walking by the corridor, "you should just call me unnie," she smiles. "Like Yewon does," she adds.

Eunbi feels her heart skip a beat.