part iii

This Summer, I Say

"Hey, isn't that Yuna sunbaenim from our Dance?" Eunbi was completely zoning out while Juyeon was talking because she has grown to know how the fellow freshman from Street Dance talks non-stop, but her ears had caught on the name without question.

"Yuna sunbaenim?!" Eunbi realised her reaction was a little too overboard, with her enlarged eyes and frozen limbs.

"Woah there, why are you so shocked?" Juyeon burst out laughing at Eunbi's response. "Anyway, I guess that's why she wasn't here for practice today," Juyeon casually added. Eunbi inwardly heaved a sigh of relief that Juyeon did not consider much about her extreme reaction.

"Yeah," Eunbi muttered while she tried to look over the numerous heads in the crowd to catch a glimpse of the face on the temporary stage set up in the campus atrium for the small gig that day.

"Ah Eunbi yah, I have something on now," Juyeon looked to be in a rush at she glanced at her wristwatch. "I'll get going first!" she said and waved with a smile. 

"Ah Juyeon, sure," Eunbi reciprocated the smile before her attention was immediately reverted back to the stage. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Choi Yuna from School of Business and Economics. Today I'll be singing two songs on my guitar," Eunbi could see the tension and anxiety on her face while she introduced herself, but nevertheless, the tiny smile on Yuna's face had once again mesmerized her.

While the crowd was cheering, Eunbi's ears seemed to turn deaf as for a moment everything that mattered were Yuna's soft brown orbs and her warm smile.

Before she knew it, Yuna had already started strumming on her guitar. Eunbi tries to calm herself down to enjoy the show.

But when Yuna started to sing, Eunbi felt the tender voice flowing to her ears and straight into her heart, making her feel warm and fuzzy all over. That was when she realised how beautiful Yuna was, and how much she'd want to be with Yuna for all her life, be it listening to her melodious voice or just looking at her endearing lips curved up in a smile.

 

"Yahh Eunbi, what are you thinking about? I've been asking you the same question for the past minute," she looks up to see a slightly irritated Yewon. 

"Yeah?" Eunbi sits up from the bed and asks, confused, "Sorry, what were you asking?"

"I was asking you to choose: Daegu, or Busan," Yewon plainly repeats, bored of asking for the umpteenth time. 

Eunbi notices Yewon gesturing to the computer so she slips on her home slippers and shuffles over to the table. After glancing at the pictures for a while, she makes a decision whilst tapping her finger against her chin: "Busan."

Yewon turns to look at her, then nods. "Okay, Busan," she says with a smile.

"Daegu doesn't look bad but I've been wanting to go to Busan since forever," Eunbi says while returning to the bed.

Yewon chuckles, "Yuna unnie said so too," she replies. 

"Really?" Eunbi freezes, surprised. 

"Yeah," while Yewon continues laughing, a small smile creeps on Eunbi's lips. 

"Hey, you're completely fine with Yuna unnie coming along?" Yewon asks again, slightly guilty. 

"Yeah! Completely fine," Eunbi grins.

Seeing that Yewon isn't convinced, she takes a deep breath, telling herself that it's time to admit it. Yewon is a close friend anyway, she thinks.

"I like Yuna sunbaenim," Eunbi states. 

"Really?" Yewon's large eyes stun Eunbi for a moment. "That's a huge relief, I even thought you would find her a hindrance to come with us for this holiday."

Eunbi releases the tension in her shoulders. "No, nothing of that sort!" she waves her hands and replies with a nervous laughter. "I mean," she takes another deep breath, realising that she's been misunderstood, "I've been having a crush on her," she softly admits after a pause.