Final: Hyunseung

Searching For Her

The two leaned on the metal bar separating them from the pond, staring at the vast lotus pads. There was at least a foot of space between them, and it was obvious that neither one of them was going to scoot any closer on their own.

“For the past few months, I’ve been thinking about this,” Junhyung spoke first, breaking the awkward silence. “Thinking and worrying non-stop about what I would say, what I would do…” He drifted off and sighed, shaking his head and looking back at the water. “But now that I’m here, with you… I’ve forgotten everything,” he closed his eyes and hung his head in shame. Eun Mi pressed her lips together and looked at him out of the corner of her eye.

“If it makes you feel any better…” She began to say softly, “I don’t know what to do, either.” Things were silent between the two of them for a minute or two before Eun Mi cleared and shifted nervously. “Um… How did you find me?” She asked.

“I managed to convince Hyunseung to tell me,” he explained.

“Hyunseung?” She whispered in disbelief. “But… He…”

“He told me because there’s something that I need to do,” Junhyung explained. “The one thing I have to do…” He turned so that he was looking into Eun Mi’s eyes. “Eun Mi, I’m very sorry,” he told her. “I never treated you like you deserved,” he looked back at the lotus pads, “You deserved someone who loved you and respected you, who listened to you and actually knew you. That person wasn’t me,” he lowered his head in shame. “I’m sorry…” He whispered. Eun Mi looked at him and shyly stepped over to him, and awkwardly wrapped her arms around him in a gentle hug. Junhyung compulsively wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on top of hers. But when he held her, he didn’t feel the burst of warmth deep inside of him that he had been expecting. He couldn’t feel that feeling of completeness returning. He felt calm, and content. But not because he had Eun Mi in his arms again.

He felt at peace because he had finally apologized to her.

“Eun Mi…” He began to say. “I also spoke to Yun Hee.” Eun Mi leaned back and smiled at him.

“I know,” she said, stepping away. “She called me and told me about the conversation that happened between the two of you. Which is why I think I know what you’re going to say next,” she turned and looked at the lotus pads again, a small smile still on her lips. “And I agree.”

“Eun Mi…” He drifted off, not knowing what to say.

“I think that we still love each other, just not in the same way. And I want to thank you,” she looked up into his eyes and smiled. “I would have never had the courage to find you and talk to you about this. By doing this, I think you’ve given both of us some peace of mind,” she looked at a few of the willow trees surrounding the pond, “And I think its best that we move on with our lives.” Junhyung slowly smiled and turned to face the pond of lotus pads.

“Y’know what?” He asked, looking down at her. “I agree completely.” The two stood there in a different kind of silence from the earlier one; the new silence between them was calm. Eun Mi closed her eyes and took in a deep breath.

“Do you smell that, Junhyung?” She asked, slowly opening her eyes. She looked up at him and saw him shake his head. She looked back out over the pond and closed her eyes again. “It’s a new day. I think it’s best we embrace it.” Junhyung smiled again and nodded. The two stood there in the comfortable silence once more for a few minutes before Junhyung cleared his throat to get Eun Mi’s attention.

“Since we’re both moving on, there’s something I need to tell you,” he looked down to meet her confused eyes. “It’s about Hyunseung…”

 

Hyunseung was an unfamiliar combination of nervous and irritated. He’d received a call from Junhyung saying that he was in Boramae Park and needed to talk to him about Eun Mi. And then his manager received a call hardly two minutes later, hanging up and then saying it was fine for Hyunseung to go.

And so, there he was. In Boramae Park, sitting on one of the benches near the forested side of the park, wondering where the hell Junhyung was. He crossed one leg over the other and folded his arms, jiggling his foot impatiently. Where the hell was he?

Hyunseung was snapped out of his irritated thoughts by his phone vibrating in his pocket. He checked the caller ID and frowned. “Where are you?” He snapped, answering his phone.

“You still irritated at me for last night?” Junhyung asked him.

“I’m irritated at you for a lot of reasons,” Hyunseung groaned. “Just… Where are you?”

“Describe your surroundings.” Hyunseung sighed and rolled his eyes.

“I’m sitting on one of the benches, closer to the wooded side of the park,” he explained. “It’s a little more out of the way than everything else,” he finished and then waited, hearing no response from Junhyung. “Junhyung? You still there?”

“Right!” Hyunseung frowned at Junhyung abnormally upbeat voice. “Okay, Hyunseung, there’s just a few things I need to tell you -”

“Where the hell are you, Junhyung?” Hyunseung growled. “I don’t have all day!”

“Actually, you do. In fact, you have the rest of the week.” Hyunseung’s mouth fell open and he stared across the vacant path in shock.

“Wait… What?”

“That phone call our manager received shortly after I talked to you – that was me. I negotiated an exchange, since I still have four more days off. You get the rest of the week off, and I take your place at appearances.”

“Why did you do that?” Hyunseung breathed, shocked that Junhyung would do something like that.

“I talked to Eun Mi.” Hyunseung’s heart skipped a beat. “And when I talked to her… We both realized and agreed that, although we still love each other, we don’t love each other in the same way as we used to. We both decided that it was time to move on. Yun Hee was right – we didn’t miss each other, just being in love. And now that we’ve talked to each other, we have the peace of mind we’ve needed to move on with our lives.”

“Junhyung…” Hyunseung whispered, not knowing what to say.

“You know ‘Take Care of My Girlfriend’?” Junhyung asked.

“I sing most of it,” Hyunseung deadpanned. “Of course I know it.”

“Well… Take care of my girlfriend, Hyunseung. Continue to treat her the way you’ve always treated her.” Hyunseung tensed up when he heard the ‘click’ sound, signaling that Junhyung had hung up.

“What the hell?” He mumbled, looking at his phone. But then, his sight was intercepted by two hands.

“Guess who?” A female voice giggled behind him. Hyunseung’s heart stopped beating for a moment and his breath hitched.

“Eun Mi?” He whispered.

“First try!” The hands moved and Eun Mi appeared in his line of sight, standing in front of him with her hands behind her back. “Sorry I’m late,” she smiled at him. “I had to change, and the gym is closer to the opposite side of the park. And I had to decrypt Junhyung’s text telling me where you were,” she held up her phone and waved it a little bit. Hyunseung was speechless, only staring at her with his mouth hanging open.

“Eun Mi…” He whispered, a few tears pricking his eyes. She sat down next to him, close enough so that their sides were touching, and turned a little bit to smile at him. He turned to her and took off his sunglasses to see her better. “Eun Mi…” He lifted his hand and gently touched her cheek. “You’re… You’re here… You’re really here.” She smiled at him and leaned closer, right into his embrace.

“I’m sorry, Hyunseung,” she whispered into his shoulder. “Junhyung told me everything.” Hyunseung tensed up. “And I’m sorry,” she leaned back and smiled sadly at him. “I was hurting you,” she whispered, shaking her head a little bit. “For months, I was hurting you – and you never said a thing,” she leaned against his shoulder, nuzzling her face into his neck. “I’m so sorry…” She whispered, her lips brushing against his neck. Hyunseung didn’t know what to do, except hesitantly wrap his arms around her. Hyunseung could feel her face against his neck and leaned his head a little bit to put his head on top of hers.

There it was. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, taking in her scent. “I missed you…” He whispered, tightening his hold on her. “I missed you so much…” He pressed a gentle kiss on top of her head.

“I’ve realized that…” She paused to lean back and move his arms so that she could lace their hands together. “All of these months, I’ve been hung up on Junhyung and all of the ‘what if’ scenarios if I met him again. And now that it’s happened… I feel free,” she smiled at Hyunseung. “But… There’s something that I would like to try.”

“What?” He asked, leaning closer to her. As soon as he was closer, she leaned towards him and pressed her lips against his in a small, sweet kiss. Hyunseung’s eyes widened with shock, and he felt his heart stop for a moment. After a moment, Eun Mi pulled away slowly and looked into Hyunseung’s eyes.

“Can I have a chance?” She whispered. “With you?” Hyunseung separated their hands and wrapped his arms around her pulling her close. He slowly lifted his hand to push some of her hair behind her ear, and then leaned down to gently press his lips against hers. They stayed like that for a moment before he pulled away.

“You didn’t even have to ask,” he whispered against before kissing her again.

----------------

KYAAAAAH!! It's finally done! I hope that everyone is content with their endings! :D

And now, by the end of today or sometime tomorrow, I'm going to start posting my new U-Kiss story! YAAAAAAAAY!! XD