Chapter One

Searching For Her

I’ve been busy with classes and stuff – exams are next week! And after that, I have to go home for a MONTH! >_< Oh well, I’ll have more time to write then.

…If I have the motivation. -__-

Anyways, this chapter is for everyone who commented and subscribed – I’m sorry for making you wait so long!

----------

“Sorry I’m late.” All of the members of BEAST looked up and rolled their eyes as Junhyung entered the dance studio and dropped his duffel bag on the floor. He looked up and saw all of his group mates glaring at him. “What?”

“You’re late – again,” Doojoon stated, folding his arms.

Junhyung frowned. “I got stuck in traffic.”

“You wouldn’t have to worry about getting stuck in traffic and being late if you lived in the dorm,” Dongwoon said, standing up and stretching his arms over his head.

Junhyung opened his mouth to reply, but no sound came out. He slowly closed his mouth and diverted his eyes to the floor. “Mianhe,” was all he said.

“What’s your problem with living with us, anyway?” Yoseob whined. “Are we that bad?”

“It has nothing to do with us,” Hyunseung stated, crouching down to re-tie his shoes. Junhyung tensed up, looking over at Hyunseung with panic in his eyes.

“Hyunseung -” He began to say, but Hyunseung cut him off.

“It’s about her, isn’t it?” Immediately, the air in the room became thick with tension.

“You don’t know anything about it,” Junhyung said, glaring at Hyunseung.

“It’s been at least three months, and you’re still living in the apartment the two of you shared -”

“- Shut up, Hyunseung -”

“-Because you’re still hoping that she’s going to come back -” It was at this point that Junhyung stormed over to Hyunseung and grabbed the front of his shirt, yanking him to his feet so that they were at eye-level.

“I said shut up!” He yelled in Hyunseung’s face.

“Junhyung -” Doojoon grabbed his shoulder, “- you need to calm down.”  Junhyung slowly let go of the front of Hyunseung’s shirt, although the two kept glaring into each other’s eyes.

“Hyung…” Dongwoon began to say, shifting uneasily. “You need to get over her. Obsessing like this isn’t healthy -”

“I’m not obsessing,” Junhyung snapped, making Dongwoon wince.

“You’re totally obsessing,” AJ declared from his spot against the mirrored wall.

Junhyung was quiet, his glare fading into a look of sadness. “What if she comes back -”

“She’s not coming back, Junhyung,” Hyunseung said, coldly. “It’s stupid of you to act this way. You neglected her, and you’re surprised that she left you? I’m surprised she even left something with an explanation -”

“That’s enough!” Doojoon snapped, stepping between them. He turned to Junhyung and put one hand on his shoulder, “Junhyung, Dongwoon and AJ are right. You are obsessing, and it isn’t healthy.” He then turned to Hyunseung and put his other hand on his shoulder, “and Hyunseung, stop rubbing Junhyung’s mistake in his face -”

Junhyung groaned and smacked the leader’s hand away, throwing his arms up in the air.

--

“This is the right thing to do, hyung,” Dongwoon tried to encourage Junhyung. All of the boxes containing Junhyung’s belongings had been moved out to the van, and he was now standing a few steps away from the front desk, with the apartment key dangling from his fingertips.

“Junhyung…” Doojoon said, patting him on the back, “you should hurry up. We don’t have much time before our show.”

Junhyung’s heart was aching in his chest; if he turned in the key, then that meant that he was really giving up on her coming back. He felt Yoseob nudging him forward, so he started moving towards the desk with heavy feet. It felt like his shoes were weighed down with lead. When he was finally in front of the desk, the middle-aged secretary looked up and smiled at him. “Can I help you?”

“I’m… I’m moving out,” he said, forcing himself to say it while holding out the key.

The secretary’s smile faltered for a second, but then she smiled sadly and nodded, reaching out and taking the key. “I’m very sorry,” she said.

“Why?” The woman’s apology confused Junhyung.

“You and that girl,” she began to say, “were so sweet together. Your relationship seemed like it would last. I’m sorry that it didn’t.”

“Yeah…” He said softly, his eyes becoming distant and detached. “Me too.”

--

Despite his pain, Junhyung managed to perform well. Some people watching might even argue that he did better than usual because he poured so much feeling into his words.

However, all of the other members of BEAST knew that Junhyung’s heart was breaking more and more with each passing day that Eun Mi was gone. A few of them speculated to themselves whether or not it was a fine powder by that point.

Since Junhyung had moved into BEAST’s dorm, he would be sharing a room with Doojoon, since he had previously been the member with a room to himself. The first night that Junhyung was in the room, Doojoon entered after his shower and saw Junhyung lying on his new bed with one of his hands behind his head and the other holding a picture in front of his eyes.

Doojoon didn’t need to sneak up to Junhyung to see what the picture was of.

“So, how old is that one?” He asked, approaching Junhyung and nodding towards the picture that he knew was of Eun Mi. Junhyung glanced up at his leader and then back at the picture.

“This one is before we even started dating,” he said. “We were friends for almost a year before I had the guts to ask her out.”

“Seriously? I never knew that,” Doojoon smiled, going to his bed and sitting down.

Junhyung smiled and nodded. “I met her when I was still a trainee,” he told Doojoon. “There was a Starbucks between the building where I was a trainee and where I lived, so I would stop there every morning for a coffee and again on my way home. Mostly it was because of the cute barista,” he smiled and held up the picture of him and Eun Mi.

He and Eun Mi had their arms around each other in a friendly embrace, and he was giving her bunny ears. Doojoon could tell that it was her because of the bright smile that he hadn’t seen since a few months after he met her. Her hair in the picture was chin-length and black, which was different from the chest-length hair that she had dyed light brown shortly before she left. She was also wearing what appeared to be a Starbucks uniform.

“She looks happy,” Doojoon said, but immediately wanted to slap himself. The last thing he should have done was remind Junhyung of the unhappiness that Eun Mi had felt for so long until she left.

“She was,” Junhyung looked at the picture again. “Y’know, if it weren’t for this picture, I wouldn’t be able to remember how I met her?”

“Why?” Doojoon started to move the covers aside on his bed.

“The Starbucks uniform,” Junhyung stated. “It reminds me of how we met. If it weren’t for the uniform, I would have probably forgotten. I would have remembered something about a coffee shop, but that’s about it.”

Doojoon was quiet, thinking as he moved under the covers of his bed. “Junhyung, I will admit that I didn’t know Eun Mi that well. But there’s this one suspicion that I have…”

“What?” Junhyung recognized the voice that Doojoon was using and sat up, staring at his leader intently.

“You’ve been waiting for her to come back, but you never really gave her reason to,” he told Junhyung. “Have you ever considered the possibility that she’s somewhere in Seoul and is waiting for you to find her?

“Seoul is one of the largest cities on the planet,” Junhyung deadpanned.

“There’s a better chance of her taking you back if you prove to her that you’re willing to look for her.”

Junhyung thought about his leader’s suggestion as he too started to slip under his covers. “Where would I start?” He asked Doojoon as he was leaning towards the lamp beside his bed.

Doojoon stopped and shrugged one of his shoulders. “Think about everything that you know about her. Try to think of a good place to start.” Doojoon turned off his lamp, and then Junhyung did the same.

For awhile Junhyung laid there in the darkness, thinking about where he should start. He started wondering about all of the places where she could possibly hang out, and then he realized something that made his heart freeze in his chest.

He couldn’t remember anything about her. He couldn’t remember any of the things that she liked to do. He couldn’t remember where she worked. He couldn’t remember her friends’ name.

Despite his realization that he no longer knew the Eun Mi that he fell in love with, he still wanted to find her.

He had a lot of work to do.