Chapter Seven

Searching For Her

“Did you ever tell her?” Hyunseung looked up from the book he was reading and sighed at the feeling of déjà vu that he had for the third time.

“What are you talking about?” He glared at Junhyung, who entered the room and sat on Yoseob’s bed.

“Did you ever tell Eun Mi that you loved her?” He asked again, leaning forward and glaring at Hyunseung. Hyunseung’s mouth dropped open in surprise.

“I… I…” He was at a loss for words, and Junhyung shook his head.

“Why didn’t you tell her? When you saw that she was unhappy in our relationship, why didn’t you tell her? You were so much better for her than me,” Junhyung hung his head and closed his eyes. “You’re still better for her than me.” Hyunseung stared at Junhyung with his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide.

“You… You…” Hyunseung didn’t know what to say, he was so surprised.

“I saw Yun Hee,” Junhyung said, quietly. “I went to the Starbucks where I met Eun Mi, and I found Yun Hee instead. I talked to her, and she told me a lot of stuff that you probably didn’t want me to know,” he sighed and looked up at Hyunseung. “Why, Hyunseung?” He whispered, barely loud enough for Hyunseung to hear. “You treated her better than I ever did.

“You listened to her talk, but I never did. You went out of your way to see her, but for me it was a matter of convenience. You paid attention to her as I neglected her; you’ve been killing yourself by loving her, and you’ve never told her,” Junhyung shook his head slowly, never looking away from Hyunseung. “So… Why?” Hyunseung pressed his lips together and looked away from Junhyung.

“Eun Mi… Is very kind,” Hyunseung began slowly. “And that can be a good thing or a bad thing, in her case. She hates hurting people and making them feel bad. If I ever shared my feelings with her before she’s completely over you, then she’ll feel guilty because she knows that I’ve been hurting because she’s ‘hopeful’; that’s her way of saying that she’s nice and stubborn at the same time,” he smiled sadly. “Even if she’s completely over you and I tell her, she’ll still feel guilty,” he shook his head. “She’s afraid of the unknown. I think she’s still struggling without you in her life; she’s struggling without someone there for her.”

“All the more reason for you to tell her,” Junhyung told him. Hyunseung chuckled.

“If I didn’t know any better, Junhyung, I would say that you’re encouraging me to tell her,” Hyunseung looked up at Junhyung with a bitter smile.

“Yun Hee…” Junhyung cleared his throat nervously and looked away from Hyunseung. “Yun Hee told me that I don’t miss Eun Mi – I miss being in love. I want to see her and figure that out for myself. Maybe she’s the same way – maybe we both feel lost without the other, and it’s because we keep wondering…” He stared at the floor and then spoke again, “And if I don’t love her in the way that I used to, I want to apologize for treating her with anything less than the utmost love and respect that she deserves.” Hyunseung stared Junhyung in disbelief.

“It sounds like you’ve grown up – at least a little bit,” Hyunseung mused.

“Please,” Junhyung said. “I won’t blame you if you go off on me, but I have to ask again…” He looked up at Hyunseung with sadness and desperation in his eyes. “Let me see her; let me talk to her. Let me apologize to her for everything that I’ve done, and let me see if the two of us really don’t love each other in the way that we used to.”

“And what if the two of you still love each other?” Hyunseung mumbled bitterly.

“I’ll let her decide.”

“She’ll take you back,” Hyunseung said without hesitation. “If she still loves you, then she’ll take you back. She can’t say no to you – it’s why she left while you weren’t home.”

“If that’s the case, then I’m sorry to say I’ll take a page out of your book,” Junhyung said. “I know now that I was doing just about everything wrong – and thanks to you, you can know that at least I’ll be treating her right this time around,” he looked up at Hyunseung. “I want her to be happy – and I think that’s what you want, too.” Hyunseung stared at Junhyung intensely, but then his eyes became sad. He looked down at the floor and closed his eyes.

“She’ll hate me.”

“No, she won’t,” Junhyung shook his head and chuckled. “She doesn’t strike me as the type to hate people.” Hyunseung thought for a second, but then his eyes widened in shock and he looked up at Junhyung.

“It that you’re just guessing, and you’re right…” He drifted off and looked away. “… I told you I wasn’t going to tell you anything…”

“I know, but I’m still going to ask,” Junhyung responded. The room was quiet and Hyunseung fidgeted, despite being in deep thought.

“… Remember the other night when I got that call from her?” He asked, glancing at Junhyung out of the corner of his eye. Junhyung nodded, and Hyunseung sighed. “She was calling to let me know that she got an internship at the school’s library. It’s a very important school, and she’s only a freshman, so it’s an honor.” Junhyung stared at him in shock. “She attends Chung-Ang University, in Dongjak-gu,” Hyunseung finally told him. “But she won’t say a thing to you while she’s on duty in the library. She doesn’t have anything to do until ten in the morning, so she wakes up early and goes jogging in Boramae park,” he closed his eyes and hung his head in shame.

“That’s two gu away,” Junhyung whispered in disbelief, and looked up slowly. “She’s been that close, all this time?” Hyunseung nodded silently. Junhyung stood up and walked towards the door, turning around once he was in the threshold. “Hyunseung…” Hyunseung turned his head a little bit, not completely looking at Junhyung. “Thank you.”

“Just…” Hyunseung sighed and lowered his head again. “Make her happy.”

“If I don’t, then I want you to.” Hyunseung looked up in surprise, just as Junhyung walked away.

 

Shin Eun Mi was in a good mood. But then again, she was always in a good mood in the mornings. The mornings were fantastic because they always felt like new beginnings, and nothing bad had happened yet. She exited the gymnasium and started walking towards the park’s jogging path, humming a few random notes. When she reached the path she started picking up her speed, and was at a good jogging speed as soon as her feet were on the path. However, someone suspicious was sitting on one of the benches beside the path.

It was obviously a man, but what made him suspicious was that he was that he was wearing a large gray sweatshirt that disguised his upper body shape, sunglasses, and the hood of the sweatshirt was pulled up over his head. She tensed up and prepared herself for a burst of speed should he try to attack her when she passed him. But when she did pass him, he looked up and took off his sunglasses.

“Eun Mi?” He asked, staring at her with complete shock in his eyes.

“Junhyung?” She gasped, stopping in her tracks and covering .

There went her good morning.

---------------

KYAAAAH! It's almost done! 

And I have a present for ALL of you amazing readers! I'm going to be writing TWO endings! 

See, some of you love Hyunseung, some of you love Junhyung, some of you love both. I intend to write two endings: one in which Eun Mi ends up with Junhyung, and the other in which she ends up with Hyunseung. That way, everybody gets a satisfying ending. :D