Chapter 8

Serpentine

A few weeks later Aideen sat across from Jin, who despite his poker face, was trembling slightly. Aideen was fuming after her last phone call. She was trying to seek solace in what could be called a “friend” though that wasn't really what Jin was.

“Aideen, what's going on?” Jin asked, voice shaking a bit unwillingly.

“Wu Feng Li canceled the arms trade,” Jin looked at Aideen a bit confused. Sure, he was her go to man for their black market hybrid dealings, but she had never talked to him about anything else.

“Not to be rude, but why are you telling me this? Shouldn't you be telling Junhyuk?” Aideen huffed out a sigh that sounded more frustrated than anything, making Jin bow his head a bit.

“I've been doing this a long ing time Jin. I know what I need to do,” Aideen spun her chair around to face the windows behind her. She stared out at the Seoul skyline for a bit before speaking again. “I have seen much worse things go wrong, but for some reason I feel strange.”

“How so?” Jin asked without really thinking. There was no reason for him to be asking Aideen this but he couldn't stop himself either.

“I don't know. I guess I feel... defeated? I've never had this difficult of a time conducting business,” Aideen answered as she rested her elbows on the desk and interlocked her fingers under her chin. Jin simply stared across the desk at his boss. This was something he hadn't encountered in all ten years that he'd been working for her and he was puzzled by her opening up to him like this. “Forget it. I'm calling Junhyuk. You may leave.”

Jin stood and bowed his head toward Aideen before heading towards the door. He paused with his hand on the handle and turned towards his boss.

“You're not defeated. You're beyond capable of keeping this family alive,” Jin said bowing one more time before leaving.

When the door closed Aideen continued to give it a confused look, as though it could tell her what Jin meant. Finally, regaining her composure, she picked up the phone and called her husband.


 

Junhyuk sat at his desk contemplating his next move. There had been plenty of things that had fallen through the past few weeks and the Family was starting to suffer because of it. He ran his hands through his hair below his horns, brushing his nails lightly against the base of them. As he began to reach for the phone to call Namjoon, it rang, startling him a bit.

“Yobuseoyo?” Junhyuk answered.

“My love, we have a problem,” While Aideen's voice was tense, it still set his mind at ease.

“What's wrong my love?” Junhyuk answered in a softer voice trying to ease his wife's mind the way that she always eased his.

“The Wu syndicate in China have canceled the arms deal,” While she was still tense, Junhyuk could hear the bit of relief in her voice.

“Did they give any reason?”

“No, but I have a feeling it has something to do with those damn chickens,” Aideen's voice was steel as she spoke about the rival mob.

“What made you suspect them?” Junhyuk asked. His wife had amazing instincts, sometimes better than his own.

“Feng Li said something weird. He said he wasn't sure he could trust 'greedy snakes',” Junhyuk's eyes flashed red at the slur against their Family.

“Don't worry My Love. I was about to call Namjoon to set a meeting anyway. I'll make sure everyone shows up,” Aideen voiced her agreement and the two ended their conversation. Junhyuk hung up before picking it up again and dialing Namjoon's number. It rang a few times before it was picked up.

“Detective Kim's phone, Jungkook speaking. Can I help you?” The Bunny's perky voice answered.

“Ah! Annyeong Kookie-ah! This is Junhyuk hyung, will Namjoon-ah be back soon?” Junhyuk perked up his voice and smiled, hoping that Jungkook could hear it in his voice.

“Oh! Hyung! Hyung will be back in about an hour. He's out getting groceries,” Junhyuk could hear Jungkook happily thumping his foot and it made him chuckle.

“Alright Bunny, tell him to give me a call when he gets home alright?” Jungkook responded with an 'eung'. “Don't forget to come see Noona soon okay?”

“Really? I want to see her soon but Namjoon Hyung doesn't like me to go there too often,” Junhyuk smiled at Jungkook's innocence and naivety. The Bunny really had no idea what he and Aideen were.

“Ah well, I'll talk to him about that when he calls me later. Noona misses you though, I'll tell her hello for you,” Junhyuk leaned back in his chair and waited for Jungkook's response, which took longer than he expected.

“Can you give her a hug for me too?” Jungkook mumbled as though it embarrassed him. Junhyuk laughed before confirming he would and hanging up. He then paged for Timo to come into the office and the panda came in quickly.

“What's up Hyung?” Timo asked as he prepared to take notes on his tablet.

“I need you to call Hoseok and Sehyuk. Then you need to call Taeyang, he was supposed to be getting on a plane tonight for Shanghai but that's fallen through as well. After you inform him of the change in plans, call Yooncheol and get him here. Don't forget Yoongi, Taehyung, and... Who did we get to take over for Hyosang?” Junhyuk asked looking up from the papers on his desk.

“We haven't replaced him quite yet but you were thinking about having Sangwon promoted to the head of transportation since Jin's men didn't work out,” Timo responded after looking up the former notes on the matter.

“Okay well then get him here. Is Seogoong still observing Josephine?” The dragon asked as he pulled some papers closer to him on the desk.

“He should be free now. She seemed to be adapting better than we thought she would,” Timo responded as his ears twitched lightly, letting Junhyuk know that it made the panda happy.

“Good have him come too. I need him to update us on the organ dealing front. Make sure that someone can come take care of the kids too. I'm going to need you to come to the meeting,” Junhyuk finished off his requests and looked up in time to see Timo nod and bow before walking out of the office. Now all that Junhyuk could do is wait for the meeting later that night.


 

A few hours after her phone call to her husband, Aideen was walking into their home. She was quickly greeted by Hojeong who came running as soon as he heard the door open. He was followed closely by Sungwoon and Taehyun who had smiles as big as Hojeong's. San and Josie pulled up the rear, San looking bored and Josie staring at her feet.

“Noona! You're home! I'm so happy to see you! Did you have a good day at work? Are you hungry? Do you want to play?” Hojeong yelled as he encircled Aideen in a hug, drawing a small smile from the woman.

“You're a good boy Hojeong, but I've got to meet up with Junhyuk and deal with a bit more business before dinner okay? I promise I'll take you to an amusement park this weekend if you're a good boy for Byung Joo while we're in the meeting okay?” Aideen said shooting a small wave to the head of the housekeepers who was heading out the side door.

“The fairy is going to watch us again? Jinja? Don't you think we're old enough to take care of ourselves?” The Mouse said with an eye roll.

“Byung Joo is a dragonfly not a fairy. Though I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to hear you call him that actually,” Aideen said scrunching her eyebrows together at the thought. “Either way you know you're not ready to take care of yourselves. The last time I let you all try to take care of yourselves, you almost set Timo's room on fire, Sungwoon lost a quarter of his feathers, Taehyun's tail got tangled around a lamp, and Hojeong got locked in the closet. Pretty sure that means no more being left alone.”

“I don't want to lose feathers like that again,” Sungwoon said wrapping his wings around himself tightly. Josie looked up from her feet momentarily to look around at the boys with terror in her eyes.

“Don't worry my little Sungflower, nothing like that will ever happen to you again while I'm around,” Aideen said with a bit of a coo in her voice as she wrapped Sungwoon in her arms. A light twitter left him as he snuggled his head more deeply into the embrace. “Okay lovelies, I'm going to go to the library now alright? I'll see you all in an hour or two.”

Aideen gave all the kids a kiss on the top of their head except for Josie, who had flinched when Aideen had come near her. She huffed out a sigh and moved on into the library where Junhyuk was waiting for her. He stood when he saw her and came to give his wife a hug and kiss. She smiled into his embrace, the stress beginning to finally melt away from her.

“All the department heads are going to be here tonight. We'll figure out what to do about the Wu betrayal tonight. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would like to over throw that syndicate anyways. Don't worry. We'll be perfectly fine,” Junhyuk's words were laced with anger towards the people who were hurting his Family. He was going to rip them to shreds and that was definitely Aideen's favorite trait of her husband.

“Alright have you asked the maid to make tea for everyone?” Aideen asked as she sat down in the large egg shaped armchair that was constantly reserved strictly for her.

“Lavander and chamomile. Your favorite,” Junhyuk replied as he took a seat in the matching chair next to Aideen's. “They should all be here fairly soon. Namjoon had to get out of a meeting with his chief for this. I'm sure he's not the fondest of us at the moment. He should be bringing the Bunny though.”

“He'll bring Kookie if he doesn't want me to be irritated with him,” Aideen smirked, she knew he didn't want that. They had one fall out before, a few years ago, because he refused to let Jungkook see her. She hadn't taken kindly to that and had swiftly had her men breathing down his neck for her money. Having gangsters trying to collect a debt from a police officer was definitely not something that looked good. He had quickly come to Aideen asking what he could do to get out of that situation and that was when he had met Junhyuk and began working for them. With the added bonus that Aideen let him keep his hybrid bunny so long as he allowed her to see him.

A few moments after the two had settled into their chairs, their 'guests' began to show up. First was Namjoon with a very excited Jungkook following. The Bunny quickly went over to Aideen and threw his arms around her, lightly hopping up and down as his ears tickled Aideen's nose. She chuckled and told Jungkook to go with the other kids in the play room and be good for Byung Joo. Jungkook promised and headed out to play with the other kids once Aideen promised that she would come play with him before they left.

Byung Joo came in next to say hello before going to look after the kids. Aideen told the dragonfly about Jungkook, to make sure he got his strawberry milk, and Josie, and how she was super skittish and if he could be extra nice to her. Byung Joo of course agreed and moved quickly into the play room to see how the kids were all doing. The rest of the guests seemed to show up in pairs.

Sehyuk and Hoseok showed up together, swiftly followed by Jin and Jimin, then Seogoong and Yooncheol, then Yoongi and Taehyung, and finally Taeyang and Sangwon. When they had all settled on the couches and chairs provided, Taehyung and Sehyuk curling themselves up on the floor like the large cat hybrids they were, the meeting began. All of the underlings looked to the head of their Family for their instructions, a bit confused about all of them being called there. Usually each section met individually, so this must have been a big problem.

“The Wu syndicate has called off our arms deal. That would be the biggest reason as to why you are here Taeyang and not on a plane to Shanghai right now. The reason the rest of you are here is because we have a very big problem,” Junhyuk crossed his legs and brought his elbows to rest on the arms of the chair creating a steeple of his arms for him to rest his chin on. “The Amber Chicken's are back.”

There was an audible gasp from a few of the older members who had been around ten years ago. The Amber Phoenixes were a rival mafia that had once been very powerful. Ten years ago, after Aideen's father's death, they had tried to take over the Emerald Dragons and merge the two together. Aideen, of course, was having none of it. Though she couldn't directly attack the head of the Family, she was able to attack most of their section leaders, fatally wounding the mafia. They had gone into hiding shortly after and hadn't been heard from since. It wasn't a battle that any of them wanted to remember, and it was definitely one Aideen wouldn't talk about.

“We believe that they're trying to take over our territory, thinking it's rightfully theirs. I want them stopped but we need to wait for them to make a move, or at least make a very notable move,” Junhyuk looked around at the serious expressions on all the faces in the room. “I have no doubts that they had everything to do with Hyosang's murder.”

“While Namjoon, Junhyuk, and I work towards finding the Chicken's you all need to work harder than ever. Sangwon, we're having you take over as the head of transport. If you have any problems with the men, let me know. Seogoong, we need you to go back to harvesting and placing organs. Thank you for all your help with Josie but we need you to go back to work now,” Both men acknowledged Aideen's orders with nods.

“Yooncheol, we need to widen our territories for drugs. I want you to branch out to Busan and find ground men there. Taeyang, I'm sending you out to track down any and all of the Wu syndicate's enemies over in China. I need you to be discrete but I want you to find the largest group of people you can. Make sure we're making more money than we would have with the Wu's,” Again the order's were met with nods and Junhyuk continued. “Taehyung and Yoongi, as we find more information on the Chicken's, I'm sure we're going to need accidents a lot more often. Stay on top of your game and don't constantly rely on Namjoon to cover if there's a problem.”

“Jin and Jimin, as usual you'll take direct orders from me but I need you to find new buyers for the hybrids. I don't want them to sit at Love and Care for too much longer. They need to be bought and they need to be moved. Hoseok and Sehyuk, you have done a glorious job the past few weeks tracking and removing Josephine from that evil witches home but now I need you back on your regular detail. I need you collecting from everyone, gambling, drugs, arms, hybrids, organs, all of it. Make sure that we get paid either with money, life, or blood. Don't pity anyone,” All four men nodded firmly at their orders and looked back to Junhyuk.

“We're not letting anyone off the hook anymore. We're not in the pity business and we're not nice people. We take care of our own and that's it. We're not going to play anymore games and we're not going to forget who we are. We won't let these Chicken's take what is ours,” Junhyuk said as the tea was brought in for them.


 

Jungkook entered the play room to find that San and Taehyun were playing some shooter game on the playstation while Sungwoon cheered them on. Hojeong was over in the corner trying to get Josie to play some kind of game with him but she seemed to be turning him down. As the Bunny made his way into the room Hojeong looked up and over at him.

“Kookie-ah! You're here! Noona didn't say you were coming!” The Pup ran over to Jungkook, tail wagging wildly. Jungkook jumped a bit as Hojeong skidded to a stop inches away from him.

“Junhyuk hyung told Namjoon hyung that I had to come to see Noona,” Jungkook's eyes kept shifting around the room, a bit nervous about the Pup in front of him. As he was looking around, Jungkook's eyes landed on the Fennec Fox in the corner who looked terrified. “Who's she?”

“Oh! That's Josie Posie! She's new in the house! Noona and Hyung brought her home!” Hojeong, being the Golden Retriever hybrid he was, could hardly contain his excitement. Though his excitement scared Jungkook and Josie, he just wanted the two to feel accepted and comfortable. “Come say hi Kookie! Come on, come on, come on!”

Jungkook allowed himself to be pulled by Hojeong over to where Josie sat, curled in on herself with her ears flat to her head. Jungkook couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him, she just looked so ridiculous with her large ears pressed to her head, they couldn't even touch her head completely since they were so big.

“Josie Posie! This is Jungkookie! He's a Rabbit hybrid! He's Noona's favorite though,” Hojeong deflated a bit with his last comment.

“Hyung, I'm not her favorite. She just doesn't get to see me everyday like she does with you guys,” Jungkook mumbled just loud enough for Hojeong to hear.

Before the two could actually greet each other, Byung Joo made a grand entrance, startling both Jungkook and Josie. The dragonfly was very flamboyant and flouncy but that was nothing new for the other boys. It caused a sense of panic in Josie and Jungkook though. The two had learned that bad things happened when people were too over the top. To their surprise though, Byung Joo seemed to take note of how skittish the two were and calmed himself down a bit.

“Annyeong. I'm Byung Joo. You must be Jungkook and Josie, right?” Byung Joo said as he bent a little at the hips with a wide smile on his face. The two scared hybrids simply nodded and the dragonfly continued. “Alright then, I'm here to watch over you all and make sure that nothing ridiculous-”

“You're the only ridiculous thing here Fairy,” San yelled, not even bothering to look away from the screen.

“San! Don't make me take your cheese away!” Byung Joo yelled in response before turning back to Josie and Jungkook. “I'm here to make sure nothing ridiculous happens and that you're all safe okay? Both of you are new to this meeting thing so I'll tell you the basic rules alright? You're not allowed to leave this room until the meeting is over, so if you need anything just ask me. I'm sure you're both aware that there's a bathroom connected to this room so that's not an excuse to leave. Don't fight with each other, don't do anything inappropriate, and don't purposefully hurt each other. I'm sure we'll be able to have some fun together okay?”

Josie and Jungkook nodded but they were both really confused about the rules. Why weren't they allowed to leave the room during the meeting? Weren't fighting and purposefully hurting each other the same thing? What was considered inappropriate?

“I didn't mean to hurt Sungwoon! It was an accident!” San yelled as he dropped the controller to the seat beside him.

“You knew that prank would make him lose feathers! Don't even start with me Mouse Boy!” Byung Joo yelled as he went over to lightly knock San in the head with his fist.


 

After all of the commotion with Byung Joo, the kids settled in for what might be a long night but luckily the meeting didn't last too long. About two hours later, Aideen came through the door to find San, Taehyung, Sungwoon, and Hojeong playing some kind of card game, Josie reading a book in the corner, Jungkook bouncing up and down in his seat playing a video game, and Byung Joo cleaning up the empty milk bottles that Jungkook had apparently gone through.

“I guess they weren't too bad today,” Aideen said to Byung Joo, drawing all of the kids attention and making Josie jump.

“Noona!” Jungkook yelled before dropping the controller and bouncing over to hug her. “I missed you Noona!”

“I missed you too Baby Bunny,” Aideen smiled as Jungkook's ears twitched in happiness, tickling her nose. Josie gazed at the two with a puzzled stare. She couldn't understand how she was being so nice. “Why are you staring Josie?”

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry,” Josie said repeatedly bowing her head at Aideen's cold tone. She was terrified of the woman.

“Ugh. Useless,” Aideen said with an eye roll before turning to look back at Jungkook. “Namjoonie said that you could come see me whenever you like Baby Bunny. So don't wait so long to come see me again okay?”

“Okay Noona!” Jungkook squeezed Aideen tight one more time before the door opened and Namjoon beckoned him over with a stern face. “I'll see you soon Noona. Bye guys!”

“Bye,” The other boys called before turning back to their game.

“I'll see you later Byung Joo. You did a good job today,” Aideen said as the dragonfly passed her to leave with a bow of his head. “Okay kids, it's time for dinner.”

The boys quickly put down their cards and ran out of the room towards the dining room where they were sure their food was waiting on them. Meanwhile, Josie took her time standing and putting away her book. She wasn't really sure what she was supposed to be doing honestly.

“Hurry it up. The food will get cold,” Aideen said in a voice as hard as steel. Josie jumped a bit and ran to catch up with the boys not wanting to make Aideen anymore upset. “What am I going to do with you?”

Aideen sighed and headed out of the room, closing the door behind her. She was going to have to figure out how to toughen Josie up since her normal methods didn't seem to be working. But how?