Chapter 1

Serpentine

A young woman walked into the lobby of Love & Care, a company that provides babysitting services for people’s hybrids. It was the biggest and most popular of companies that provide these services. They also were a big sponsor for hybrids rights activists and donated to charities that helped hybrids.

 

“Hello! It’s my first day here and I was told to come here first to get my ID key.” The young woman smiled at the secretary who sat at the front desk.

 

“Of course! We’ve been expecting you! Now just stand on that square and stare at this little light. 3, 2, 1, smile!” The young woman smiled and in a few minutes, she had her ID for work.

 

“Someone will be here soon to give you a tour of the company. Welcome to Love & Care!” The young woman thank the secretary and moved to sit on one of the sofas that was in the lobby.

 

“Chae Hana?” The young woman stood up as a man approached her. She clarified that she was indeed Chae Hana.

 

“I’m Kim Seokjin but you may call me Jin. I will be your team leader.” Jin smiled as he introduced himself. “Let’s begin the tour, shall we.”

 

Jin started off the tour by showing Hana the floors that the hybrids stayed on, then the floors of the office workers, the hybrid hospital and grooming center. He also showed her the cafeteria for the workers and where all the bathrooms were located.

 

“Floors 36-40 are off limits to employees along with the basement floor.” Jin informed Hana as he took her to the floor her office would be.

 

“Why are they off limits?” Hana wondered.

 

“Floors 36-40 are under construction and the basement is used for storage. Just some safety hazards that we would just like to avoid.” Jin explained with an easy smile.

 

“Oh…that makes sense.” Hana shrugged. She soon met her coworkers and many found that Hana was very easy to get along with and was very perky.

 

“Hana, can you take these to the first floor? Look for room 5 and put them in the file cabinet H.” Hana took the files and went to the elevator. She pushed the button for the needed floor, humming and looking through her phone as she waited for the elevator to get to her floor.

 

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. She stepped out of the elevator before looking up, slipping her phone back into her pocket. When she looked up though, Hana dropped the files in shock. She had gone to the wrong floor. What she saw made her sick to her stomach; hybrids of different animals, rare animals to be exact, were in cages and being placed into the back of big rig trucks. The hybrids, while they were fully dressed, seemed to be under the influence of something.

 

“You know you’re not supposed to be here, right.” Hana looked over to a group of the only humans in the room. The voice came from the only female, who seemed to be in charge considering how everyone else stood around her. And while everyone was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, the lady was dressed in a fitted pin-stripe suit with what looked to be stilettos.

 

“I’m sorry! I must’ve pressed the wrong button! I promise I won’t tell anyone and I’ll forget what I saw!” Hana continued to ramble, trying to keep her voice steady as she inched her way towards the elevator.

 

The woman, who had hardly glanced at Hana when she first entered, turned so she was facing Hana. “I don’t care.” She pulled a handgun from the inside of her blazer and shot at Hana, quicker than Hana had time to react before she was dead on the ground, her blood getting over the files that laid forgotten on the floor.

 

“Finish getting these cages on to the trucks then send them out. Tell Jin to meet me in my office in 10 minutes and clean this mess up.”

 

“Yes ma’am.” One of the men said just as she got to an elevator different from the one that Hana used. It took her to the 40th floor, the workers up there stopping to bow, the woman giving them a very small head nod as she walked to her office. Just as she sat down behind her large desk, Jin entered her office.

 

“You wanted to see me, Aideen?” Jin wondered. Aideen nodded her head as she slowly rotated the desk chair side to side.

 

“You had one job, Jin.” Aideen said, glancing at Jin as she stopped the chair for a brief moment before moving the chair again.

 

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about, Aideen.” Jin admitted sheepishly. Aideen brought the chair to a full stop and stared dead straight at Jin.

 

“I thought I made it clear that I wanted no one except those who were authorized to go down to the basement.” Aideen said with a stern tone.

 

“You did, Aideen. I tell every new employee to not go down to the basement or floors 36-40.” Jin said, becoming nervous by Aideen’s tone and her icy glare.

 

“Then why did I have to shoot an unauthorized employee today because she ended up in the basement?” Aideen cocked an eyebrow.

 

“You did? Who was it? I always make sure to tell the employees, no, engrain it into their heads that the basement and floors 36-40 are strictly off limits.” Jin tried to assure her. Aideen sighed heavily before picking up the phone. She dialed the desired number and waited for the line on the other end to pick up.

 

“What’s the name on the ID of the body?” Aideen asked as soon as the person on the other end picked up. She thanked the person after getting her answer and hung up the phone, turning to a waiting Jin.

 

“Her name was Chae Hana.” Aideen informed. Jin’s eyes widened for a moment before he sighed and shook his head.

 

“I told her not to go down there. She seemed to understand that too so she must’ve pressed the wrong button.” Jin tsked. “Shame too since she seemed to be a good, hardworking person. Oh well.” While Jin was saddened over the news, though he knew it was the step Aideen needed to take.

 

“I’m going to need you to contact Yoongi, we need a car accident and report.” Aideen then pushed the intercom button, getting connected to the secretary that worked on the 40th floor. “Call Park Jimin and tell him to come to my office.” Aideen ordered.

 

Considering that they were on the top floor and Jimin needed to come from the lobby, they didn’t have to wait long for him. Jimin came into Aideen’s office with a bright grin, something necessary for when you’re the first person talked to by those who come in to Love & Care. “You called for me?” Jimin cutely asked once he was standing next to Jin.

 

“Cut the act, Jimin.” Aideen said with a flat tone. Jimin’s smile and cute character was gone in a blink of an eye and was replaced by a dangerous, much more serious but still mischievous, one, shocking Jin.

 

“Chae Hana, did you help her when she first came in?” Aideen questioned.

 

“Yes ma’am.” Jimin responded with a curt nod.

 

“Good, less people I have to deal with. Clock her out at regular time and if anyone asks questions regarding her, make up an excuse. Gather her things once everyone leaves and get her car keys to Taehyung.” Aideen instructed. “As you wish.” he answered.

 

“You two may leave.” Aideen dismissed them with a wave of her hand and Jin and Jimin quickly left.

 

“Jimminie, how do you do that?” Jin asked as the two got in the elevator together. Jimin gave him a questioning look as he hit the buttons for the needed floors.

 

“Do what, hyung?” Jimin asked with a cute grin.

 

“That! You go from a cute mochi to a- to a- to a y gangster!” Jin exclaimed.

 

“You think I’m y?” Jimin gave his hyung a mischievous grin.

 

“Aish, is that all you got?” Jin rolled his eyes. Jimin chuckled before pushing Jin out of the elevator once the doors opened.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, hyung.” Jimin said as the doors started to close.

 

“Yah, you-“ Jimin waved to his hyung cutely, laughing over his hyung. He loved Jin but it was always fun to mess with him. Jimin leaned against the rail in the elevator, making himself comfortable when he remembered something.

 

“Ah! I forgot to tell Aideen about that hybrid!” Jimin reprimanded himself. “I’ve wasted enough time away from work, no harm in wasting more.” He grinned, stopping the elevator and pushing the button to take him back to the 40th floor.

 

“8…9…10!” Ready or not, here I come!” A blonde, fennec fox hybrid turned around and scanned the yard, looking for any obvious hiders. She tilted her head, trying to use her big ears to pinpoint any noise that could give anyone away.

 

“Wah, you all have gotten better.” The fennec fox noted. She began to walk around and actually look. She got to a plastic, outdoor playhouse and looked inside. The fennec fox grinned when she saw a little girl crouched down.

 

“Found you!” The fennec fox laughed, reaching out to tickle the little girl.

 

“Eonni!” The little girl screeched with laughter. The fennec fox helped the little girl out of the house even though said little girl was almost as tall as her.

 

“Help me find your brothers.” She said with a smile. The little girl nodded enthusiastically and the two set to looking for the other hiders. They found one of them in a tree and the last two were found behind the tool shed.

 

“Let’s go inside and wash up. I need to start dinner so it’s ready for when your parents come.” The fennec fox ushered the four children into the house. Once she made she they were all clean, having to help the youngest wash properly, she went to the kitchen to begin dinner She was almost done when her male owner came home from work.

 

“Appa!” The kids always worked as her alarm. The fennec fox listened as the kids were greeted happily like always. The male owner was always cheerful when he came home, regardless of how his day went.

 

“Hello, Josephine!” The fennec fox, Josephine, smiled at him and greeted him with a bow.

 

“Hello, sir! How was your day?” Josephine asked like she did everyday.

 

“Same old, same old. And you? Did the kids give you a hard time?” ‘Sir’ asked with a smile.

 

“Never! They’re always great!” Josephine laughed. “Dinner should be done soon, sir.” She informed him.

 

Once dinner was done, Josephine set the table and called out that dinner was ready. She hurried back to the kitchen so she could do the dishes and clean the kitchen.

 

“Josephine, aren’t you going to come and eat?” Sir called. Josephine went back into the dining room so she could answer him.

 

“Uh, no sir. I’ll eat later.” She said.

 

“Come eat now, noona!” The oldest of the kids said, causing the other three kids to say something as well. Josephine had no choice but to go and join them.

 

“Josephine, you’ve been with us for how long?” Sir asked with a playful smile.

 

“Ah, six years, sir.” Which was how old the third child was.

 

“Exactly, so why do you still insist on acting like a servant? You’re like family.” Sir said with a grin. Josephine smiled a shy smile back before she began to eat.

 

They all were talking and enjoying the dinner that Josephine prepared when the lady of the house returned from work.

 

“Well isn’t that nice, the help can sit with us now.” Josephine quickly stood up and bowed to her.

 

“Welcome home, madam.” Josephine greeted her.

 

“Yeobo, Josephine prepared a delicious dinner. It’s perfect for winding down after work. Come and join us.” Sir told his wife with a smile. ‘Madam’ gave sir a tight lipped smile.

 

“I don’t eat with the help. Especially a hybrid.” Madam said. Sir frowned at his wife’s behavior and the kids stared, uncomfortable by the tense atmosphere.

 

“Yah, yeobo, you-“ “It’s alright, sir! I was done eating anyways. Madam, I’ll serve you right away.” Josephine scampered away to the kitchen with her dirty dishes. She moved quickly about the kitchen and worked on fixing a plate for Madam. She quickly got the plate out to Madam was now seated at the table.

 

“Here you go, madam. Enjoy.” Josephine bowed before hurrying back to the kitchen so she could clean. By the time she finished cleaning and had the dishes that she cooked with cleaned and put away, Madam was calling for her.

 

“Hybrid, dessert.” Josephine could hear her snapping along with the oldest reprimanding her for calling her ‘hybrid’.

 

Josephine walked out with a platter of sliced fruit. She placed the fruit in the middle of the table and pulled out small plates along with forks from her apron pocket. She passed out the plates and forks before collecting up the dinner plates. “Enjoy.” Josephine bowed before going back to the kitchen to wash the remaining dishes. After dinner, Josephine helped the children get ready for bed. She had to bathe the youngest herself and dress him. She brushed his teeth then helped the girl with brushing her hair. The kids didn’t have to go to sleep until 8:30 so until that time, they either played or finished homework. When they had to finish homework, Josephine would play with the youngest so he didn’t bother his siblings.

 

“Eonni, can you play with my hair until I fall asleep?” The girl asked as she got under her covers and Josephine fixed her stuffed toys. Josephine smiled at her before sitting on the edge of her bed.

 

“Of course, Boyoung.” She answered before running her fingers through her hair. Every time Boyoung asked Josephine to do this, it reminded Josephine of when she still lived with her parents and how she would ask her mother for the same thing.

 

“Eonni, don’t let what eomma say get to you. We all love you.” Boyoung tiredly said, sounding like she was on the verge of falling asleep. Josephine smiled a sad smile at Boyoung even though she couldn’t see it. “I know and I love you all too.” Even though Josephine knew that her only purpose was to serve.

 

Once Boyoung had fallen asleep, Josephine placed a soft kiss on her forehead and whispered a ‘sweet dreams’ before leaving the room. She checked on the other children, going in to kiss them all on the forehead and whisper the same thing even though they were all asleep. Josephine went back downstairs to do some last minute cleaning and tidying up before going to bed herself when voices in the kitchen stopped her. It sounded like Sir and Madam were arguing and she knew she shouldn’t eavesdrop but Josephine couldn’t help but stay where she was.

 

“How are we going to pay this off? The money we’re both earning is going to this house, our parents, and the college funds for the kids!” Sir exclaimed.

 

“We can just take some away from our parents and the college funds.” Madam nonchalantly said.

 

“No! Your dad needs the money for your mom’s surgery and my parents need it to fix the hole in their roof and fix their bathroom! And don’t think that I don’t know about you dipping into the college funds for your shopping sprees! Seriously?! You’re taking money from our kids’ futures so you can meet up with your friends and shop?!” Sir angrily slammed down the letter he had in his hands and Josephine was worried he might wake up the kids.

 

“You hardly give me anything! It’s either this damn house, our parents, the kids, or that ing hybrid! I deserve to spoil myself! I work just as much as you!” It sounded like Madam threw something, judging by the sound of shattering glass.

 

“Enough! We’re not going to figure this out by arguing! They said you have some time, right? Maybe I can get a loan from someone. Let’s just go to bed before the kids wake up.” Josephine tried to scramble away but she crashed into a table, making noise and notifying them of her presence.

 

“Who is that?” Sir called out but Madam came out to see who it was, only to sneer when she saw it was Josephine.

 

“Dear, go to bed first. I’m going to clean up the glass before anyone gets hurt.” Madam called out, grabbing Josephine by her hair and putting a hand over to keep her from crying out. Sir listened to his wife, not knowing that Josephine was the one who had been eavesdropping. He took a different route to get to the master bedroom, not seeing Josephine get pulled into the dining room by Madam.

 

“What were you doing?!” Madam hissed, keeping her voice down so that her husband didn’t hear.

 

“Nothing, madam! I swear! I was just coming down so I could do some cleaning before I went to bed!” Josephine pleaded, fighting the tears that were building up.

 

“Liar! I know you were snooping around, you little ! And for that, you should be punished.” Madam said, before she began to beat Josephine. The entire time, Josephine tried to plead with her, only for the beatings to get harder to the point that Josephine stopped trying to plead and merely cried. When Madam stopped, she ordered Josephine to clean herself up and finish her chores before she went off to bed herself. Josephine lied on the floor, curled up in a fetal position as she tried to will herself to stop crying, the sobs that wracked through her body bringing more pain. As Josephine laid there, a thought ran through her head, one that wasn’t new to her. Was this all worth it? Could she really live this life the rest of her life? Living as a maid and nothing more? She couldn’t even have children of her own because she had been the youngest of the litter, meaning she was the one who was to get fixed. She really only lived to serve Sir and his family. Could she go on the rest of her life like this?